The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
    Quite frankly the LOTR movies DIDN'T pay any attention to the books... PJ completely ruined some of the characters, Faramir IN PARTICULAR, as well as Aragorn. He turned Gimli into a moron, and completely ruined the Frodo and Sam excursion into Mordor with his whole "Go home, Sam" twist. And he even changed the Entmoot. He completely removed the old Forest and Bombadil from the movies, which, while not crucial, were important parts of the books that contained extremely important plot devices.
    Frodo's decision in the Barrow Downs was extremely important but it got cut out. I guess that goes hand in hand with him sending Sam away while on the Stairs.

Anyway, maybe with a new director more attention will be paid to all those details which made Tolkiens books so incredible.
    I agree that he could have done a better job. Still, at the end of the day there were still three high quality films (slightly over-rated, buh still pretty good).

Anyway, Peter Jackson is a pretty good director, but he's a long long way from some of the greats. There is no reason to believe if he doesn't direct The Hobbit that it will fail.

Comment

I'd actually advise people who have doubts to listen to the commentaries on the extended editions. What shines through is that any changes were thought about long and hard and, even if you disagree with their ultimate decision on any one thing, nothing was done on a whim and everything had a sound rationale behind it.

Considering there were three writers, it's actually interesting to hear the situations where they disagreed on what to do and had to argue it through (IIRC the Faramir changes were something they went round and round about)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
        Quite frankly the LOTR movies DIDN'T pay any attention to the books... PJ completely ruined some of the characters, Faramir IN PARTICULAR, as well as Aragorn. He turned Gimli into a moron, and completely ruined the Frodo and Sam excursion into Mordor with his whole "Go home, Sam" twist. And he even changed the Entmoot. He completely removed the old Forest and Bombadil from the movies, which, while not crucial, were important parts of the books that contained extremely important plot devices.
        Frodo's decision in the Barrow Downs was extremely important but it got cut out. I guess that goes hand in hand with him sending Sam away while on the Stairs.

Anyway, maybe with a new director more attention will be paid to all those details which made Tolkiens books so incredible.
        Oh, I'm with you on Faramir... it still annoys me to this day but there's no denying that PJ did something incredible with the impossible.
        Leaving out Tom Bombadil was understandable, The Scouring of the Shire less so. Still it was one man's vision. Perhaps one day, someone will do better. However, I doubt it will happen any time soon.

I suppose we could debate all day about what PJ should or shouldn't have done but he was making 3 movies not 4 or 6 so he had to make some tough choices. At the end of the day, he was faithful to the spirit of the novels and that is the main thing.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Reading the books and watching the movies I liked it but I'm not here to argue about that, I am really hoping and crossing fingers they will make peace I WANT to see the Hobbit dammit LOL

I mean come on Smaug, they would argh I could only imagine how cool he would look (poutes) not to mention I want to see where they would take us for Mirkwood...just I want it

Comment

A little news that confirms that ‘The Hobbit’ is still in the works!
            On the feature front, The Hobbit is still in an early (and legally cantankerous stage) but MGM chief operating officer Rick Sands said the split on who does what with it ancillary-wise is being worked out with co-partner New Line. Almost certainly, MGM will be the international TV distributor, and will likely have certain foreign territories in theatrical as well.
            Link: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19937

Did not see the thread started any were so...
            Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the update.
              Music and Stargate
              sigpic
              Perfection

Comment

will they have the same actors?
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                  will they have the same actors?
                  It has been some time but I thought The Hobbit was the story of getting the ring 100 year, or so, before the movies.
                  Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

it has been announced on IMDB.com that a movie of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, or there and back again is in preproduction and shedualed for 2009. this begs many questions such as
                    who will voice smaug?
                    will the same actors in LOTR play Bilbo, Gandalf, and Elrond?
                    Why has peter jackson waited so long?
                    Will it actually happen?
                    This news is so new that it's not even on wikipedia yet (or wasn't this morning)
                    so theorize, think and have fun with your ideas.
                    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                    sigpic

Comment

i really hope some of the original cast comes back to play the characters. wouldn't look right having completely new people
                      - love him

Comment

They have been trying to make this movie for years, I wouldn't even think about it because it most likely will not come out anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
                          They have been trying to make this movie for years, I wouldn't even think about it because it most likely will not come out anytime soon.
                          they say 2009 on imdb... they usually don't lie....
                          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                          sigpic

Comment

does it say who is directing? cos last i heard about 'the hobbit' being in the works they said that peter jackson was trying to get it off the ground but couldn't becasue the rights to a movie of it were owned by another company or something.

if it's true i'm really looking forward to it though. Just hope they get Ian Mckellen to play Gandalf again. and as gandalf the grey again which would be awesome.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

What i've heard was Peter Jackdon wanted to do The Hobbit, but didn't want to do it right away because he'd been working on LOTR for about 5/10 years. It's why he did stuff like King Kong and Lovely Bones.

I do remember catching something about The Hobbit on the news but I have no idea what it was about. I was channel hopping, came across the news and what they were talking about ended a few second later.

Right now I think Peter Jackson isn't on the best of terms with New Line. There was about FOTR and money issues. Jackson sued New Line after the movies were done because he was apparently losing merchandise money and the boss went ape **** and said they'd not let him direct again. So if things get sorted out, Jackson could direct and I think after the work he did on the first three, he should direct again.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                                they say 2009 on imdb... they usually don't lie....

No they haven't ever lied, but they have been wrong more times than I can count.

There are tons of legal issues they have to workout, then write a script ,and there is a strike, and then film it. The movie will not be done in 2 years. A year to write it, a few months for scrips and such, and at least a year to film it.

Comment

Working...
                                X