The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nuallain View Post
    I don't think the 'other prequel' is the Silmarillion. My understanding is that it's an original movie to bridge the gap between Hobbit and Fellowship. My *guess* would be that it takes the stuff from the LotR appendicies about Aragon's youth and dramatizes it.
    That would be interesting. I've always thought that was quite interesting.
    sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

yeah that would be
      sigpic
      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

WHAT??!!

It's damn stupid to not have PJ as director of the prequel to LOTR. Damn stupid.

Comment

I could deal with having a different director, but I just really have a hard time when they bring in a new actor for an established part. Lets hope they can get the necessary actor back.
          If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

It's a big mistake. It really makes me unhappy. I do feel bad for whoever takes over for PJ, those are huge fake hobbit feet to fill and for some people they'll ever be filled. I myself bet I'll be spending forever wondering what PJ verison would have been like.

I wonder who the get job now, I can't imagen anyone but him in that role.
            Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

TBH, I can see a Hobbit film NOT directed by PJ to be the death of the LOTR franchise.
              Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
              Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

CORPORATIONS ARE STUPID!

Sci-Fi Channel
                TNT (for cancelling Crusade)
                New Line Cinema...

Who is else is next?
                http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

MGM is supposedly interested in obtaining the rights, as no doubt are many other studios.

Comment

I am pissed now when are they to start shooting the movie?
                    sigpic

Comment

Well he might yet direct it...
                      http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/747/747498p1.html

and if he dosent theres always this lot and others...
                      http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/747/747881p1.html

Comment

Quite frankly the LOTR movies DIDN'T pay any attention to the books... PJ completely ruined some of the characters, Faramir IN PARTICULAR, as well as Aragorn. He turned Gimli into a moron, and completely ruined the Frodo and Sam excursion into Mordor with his whole "Go home, Sam" twist. And he even changed the Entmoot. He completely removed the old Forest and Bombadil from the movies, which, while not crucial, were important parts of the books that contained extremely important plot devices.
                        Frodo's decision in the Barrow Downs was extremely important but it got cut out. I guess that goes hand in hand with him sending Sam away while on the Stairs.

Anyway, maybe with a new director more attention will be paid to all those details which made Tolkiens books so incredible.
                        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab View Post
                          TBH, I can see a Hobbit film NOT directed by PJ to be the death of the LOTR franchise.
                          Whats left of that franchise? They have already filmed the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Hobbit was the prelude to that. The Silmarillion was not part of the trilogy, it was more like an encylopedia, and would be just about impossible to translate to film. Other than that what else would be left?

Even if the movie sucks everybody will still go to see it just because of how much everybody loved the LOTR trilogy on film.
                          www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                            Even if the movie sucks everybody will still go to see it just because of how much everybody loved the LOTR trilogy on film.
                            Nah, if the reviews say that the Hobbit really stinks then I'd rather not see it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Comment

Quite frankly the LOTR movies DIDN'T pay any attention to the books... PJ completely ruined some of the characters, Faramir IN PARTICULAR, as well as Aragorn. He turned Gimli into a moron, and completely ruined the Frodo and Sam excursion into Mordor with his whole "Go home, Sam" twist. And he even changed the Entmoot. He completely removed the old Forest and Bombadil from the movies, which, while not crucial, were important parts of the books that contained extremely important plot devices.
                              Frodo's decision in the Barrow Downs was extremely important but it got cut out. I guess that goes hand in hand with him sending Sam away while on the Stairs.

Anyway, maybe with a new director more attention will be paid to all those details which made Tolkiens books so incredible.
                              The movies would have been extremely and ridiculously long if all of that had been included. I feel for you though. I was very disappointed that much of the ent story was dropped and that some other relationships were not explored further.

On a different note, the site that listed to potential director (http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/747/747881p1.html) mentioned Ridley Scott. I think his style is a little too dark for The Hobbit. Not that The Hobbit is exactly all light and fluffy, but it's less dark than LotR. Terry Gilliam was also on the list and, honestly, I'd prefer him to all the others there. That is, if I can't have PJ.
                              sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

There is only *so much* you can fit into a movie. Tom Bombadil, yes he's important, but in the end how would he and old man willow help move the movie along? Certian characters and events needed to be changed as well.

I agree that there are certain things PJ did in the movies that where just stupid (the millions of skulls almost burying the guys in the paths of the dead for example) but most of the changes helped turn the books into great movies!

I don't trust anyone else to do a decent version of The Hobbit.

Comment

Working...
                                X