Recommend me a TV show, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
    Family Guy: great laughs but don't watch if easily offended i.e. racist remarks, drugs, sexual, LOADS of profanity
    He apparently does not watch cartoons. A pity, because many anime 'cartoons' are less cartoon and more works of art. In particular anything Hiyao Miyazaki has touched is pure gold nuggets.

but can i just say (not to be rude) why don't you get up and look for shows your self?
    Agreed. I'm not going to elaborate on what any of the shows I've recommended are about. Most ideas seem to be shot down by the OP before he's even given them a chance, so he can either imdb my recommendations himself, give them a try by watching them with an open mind, or just ignore them entirely.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
      You should really try the mentalist from the beginning... Just my two cents,
      i should do that, i tried to find it online legally and couldn't. but i've seen random episodes over the years and would love to see the beginning.

where is the star trek love. i would recommend:

voyager: somewhat serial, but a lot of stand alone episodes too. great characters and robert picardo (woosey) is in it . seven seasons

ds9: action packed and somewhat serial (especially in season 6 where i am). there are stand alone episodes that have great character development. seven seasons.

i've only seen random episodes and nemesis of TNG so can't say much about it. but its good from i've seen
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        Alias & Chuck: I tried watching this, they were too cartoony for me to take seriously. I mean, I like goofy, but these shows took it too far.
        Anime: I don't watch cartoons.
        Babylon 5: Been there, done that with STS9. Is Babylon 5 all that different? Does it compare? By that, I mean, is it of equal quality?
        Battlestar Galactica: The premise just doesn't grab me.
        Bones, Castle, The Mentalist: I catch a rerun here and there on TV, but they just don't hold me.
        Boston Legal: I don't like lawyer shows, so I'll pass on this one.
        Buffy & Angel: I liked the initial concept of Buffy, but the later seasons and the spin-off got too weird and demonic. I'll pass.
        Doctor Who: Too many time paradoxes for me to dive into this. Every time the time lord travels through time and has a wacky adventure, the present he returns to should be very different. If this doesn't happen... fail.
        Fringe: Why?
        The Game of Thrones: What's this about?
        Grim: I'm not into supernatural TV shows.
        Highlander: What's this?
        Monk: I'm not really into cop shows.
        Prison Break: I don't care for prison-based fiction.
        Sherlock: I don't like PBS programming.
        Sliders: I like alternate reality shows, but not enough to follow a series dedicated to the subject.
        Smallville: Too much of a teen drama. Roswell is the only teen drama I actually like, and that's only because it involved aliens.
        Supernatural: It's demonic and goes against Christianity in every way possible. Pass.
        True Blood: What's this about?
        The Walking Dead: The bottom line is, my mom does not like zombie fiction, and I would be watching this in the office or living room. Is it going to be graphic? If yes, this show's out.
        To make it easier for us, what kind of shows do you like?

I can recommend "The Event" a mystery, SciFi, action show, got not very good critics, but I like it, has unfortunately just one Season. And I loved the remake of "V", alien invasion, SciFi, suspense, same problem as the event, I think the show was better than expected.
        "Once Upon A Time" with fantasy, suspense, action, drama.
        "Third Watch" is a older show, if you don´t like cop dramas, maybe not the right thing for you, but it combines medics, fire-fighters and cops in NY to a extremely good, action, drama packed show with humour.
        One Tree Hill teen drama soap, normally I don´t like that kind of things, but OTH is, IMO, worth watching.
        LOST
        House m.d.

Torchwood very unusual SciFi show, but the third Season is great!
        sigpic

Comment

Mission: Impossible (worth seeing?)
          SeaQuest DSV (worth seeing?)
          Stargate: Universe (tried 3 episodes back in 2009, gonna give a second chance)
          The Walking Dead (Is this too gory?)
          The X Files (been years since I watched, saw episodes randomly)
          SeaQuest was a bit boring, IMO.

Mission: Impossible is definitely worth watching

The Walking Dead (Is this too gory?): I watched a few episodes but it´s to brutal and gory for me, also very dark with no humour or light moments in it, not good.
          sigpic

Comment

Anime: I don't watch cartoons.
            Hmm. You might miss out on some really good/great stories, then. Animation/anime/cartoons is just another story telling medium, after all.
            Some storytellers use that medium because a live-action version of the same story would probably be MORE EXPENSIVE (if Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were made into a live action series, w/ the same 'content', I'd imagine that it'd be as expensive as, if not more so, than something like Stargate Universe. Expensive bits: optical camo, everything robotic, every hacking bit, futuristic environment and 'stuff' like the guns and vehicles).
            Not all cartoons, after all, are 'childish'. The aforementioned Ghost in the Shell is very serious (I like it more than the GitS and GitS: Innocence movies because it actually has hints of humour in it), tackling topics such as individual identity in relation to technology.
            For an example of western animation: Avatar: The Last Airbender, despite some 'cartoony' moments, has some very good philosophical points and gets pretty 'dark', at times.

It's just a matter of picking the right ones, I guess.

That all said...just watch Farscape first.
            sigpic

Comment

Community.

/thread

Comment

Farscape(if you haven't seen it)
                The Mentalist
                Person of Interest

Those are the ones at the top of my head.
                sigpic

Favorite quote:
                McKay: You shot me!
                Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                Ronon: You shot me, too.
                Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

did you miss where i ended the thread?

Comment

Ok, so here's what I think.
                    [B]Farscape[B] It's fun, but it's not everyone's cup of tea and takes some getting used to.
                    Monk You should really give it a chance. I don't like cop shows, but Monk is fun. It's about an ex-cop who's life becomes pretty much dominated by his obsessive compulsive disorder. Try it and see what you think.
                    Sherlock I am also not a big fan of PBS, but you should give Sherlock a try. The best part I think is the relationship between Sherlock and John Watson.
                    Due SouthThis show aired a while back, but it is definitely priceless. It's about Constable Benton Fraser, a Mounty, and his friend Ray, a Chicago cop. There's a lot of priceless moments between the two of them.
                    Leverage I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, but it's definitely a winner. It's a modern day A Team consisting of a hitter, hacker, thief, grifter, and the mastermind. It kind of has a National Treasure feel to it as they use super cool tech and brilliant plans to bring down the bad guys.
                    Quantum Leap This is a classic show from the 80s about time traveler Dr. Sam Beckett. It's not like Dr. Who because, even though he's trying to set things right, there isn't much of a concern about messing up the future. Sam basically jumps into other people's bodies to correct what went wrong. This show also addresses many important issues such as racism and other forms of prejudice.
                    I hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                      did you miss where i ended the thread?
                      Did you think people would care??
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Sherlock: I don't like PBS programming.
                        It's a BBC show, Sherlock.

Spoiler:
                        I'll get my coat...

Comment

No one has recommended Warehouse 13? I am sad

It's a good fun light show to watch. Doesn't take itself too seriously. It's mostly relaxing, I have yet to see anything controversial in their that would offend anyone (judging by your comments snowman) yet is at times somewhat thought provoking.

The show is on SyFy and it is about super secret agents hunting down items that have unexplained powers and locking them up in a super secret massive warehouse out in the middle of nowhere where they can do no harm.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

I can not believe in a science fiction forum with so many posts that no one mentioned great series like the new Outer limits (it's a different storyline every time and that lets them take the episodes in very unexpected directions) or Andromeda (if you claim to be big star trek fans why is no one mentioning Roddenberry's other series which is really a smart and unique stand alone series that is tremendously underrated or just unknown) Kevin Sorbo's the captain

Comment

you've gotta broaden your whats im a calls it
                              sigpic
                              Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

How about Nikita? it's pretty cool show, another spy show, it's a remake or reboot of la femme nikita (which i havent seen yet), anyway the protoganist (nikita) is working to bring down a corrupt agency within the government, it's kinda like the first 2 seasons of Alias but kinda darker

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                No one has recommended Warehouse 13? I am sad

It's a good fun light show to watch. Doesn't take itself too seriously. It's mostly relaxing, I have yet to see anything controversial in their that would offend anyone (judging by your comments snowman) yet is at times somewhat thought provoking.

The show is on SyFy and it is about super secret agents hunting down items that have unexplained powers and locking them up in a super secret massive warehouse out in the middle of nowhere where they can do no harm.
                                I was going to this morning, but i started watching Archer and totally forgot
                                Last edited by mr_kennedy; 08 May 2012, 11:59 PM.
                                Last Movie Watched
                                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                                Life is Strange

Comment

Working...
                                X