Recommend me a TV show, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farscape rules!

Supernatural is a great show, the first season is the low point but it gets better with each season up through season 5 which was just incredible.

The Walking Dead, pretty good show and not to gory imo but then I have a high tolerance...

Comment

Farscape (worth seeing?) - YES.
      Legend of the Seeker (saw a few episodes, liked what I saw) - It started ok, but I lost interest before the end of the first season.
      MacGyver (seen random episodes, but not the whole series) - I liked it when I was much, much younger, but I don't know if it 'ages' well.
      Mission: Impossible (worth seeing?) - I think I only saw the 'newer' series (late 80s? 90s?). It was 'ok', if memory serves, but nothing stands out in my recollection that would make me want to revisit it.
      SeaQuest DSV (worth seeing?) - I enjoyed this series when it was airing, so, yeah.
      Stargate: Universe (tried 3 episodes back in 2009, gonna give a second chance) - I enjoyed this one, too. IMHO, most of the episodes are good (and the cast is great, I still prefer SG-1, tho' )
      The Walking Dead (Is this too gory?) - yeah...kinda gory. I only saw bits and pieces from various episodes, as I'm not really into zombies. The playthroughs on Youtube for the recently released video game is interesting, tho' (at least the reactions/comments of the one playing it, anyway )
      The X Files (been years since I watched, saw episodes randomly) - same here. I probably should get around to watching it... (I recall only one episode that I really liked, the one that was shot like the 'reality show' 'COPS')

As others have mentioned: Fringe and Game of Thrones. I like 'Bones', but it's starting to get old, at times. Castle is usually good. I enjoy Grimm (I like the clock-tinkering 'sidekick' more than I do the protagonist), but it feels 'slow' at times.
      Someone mentioned Sherlock: Awesome show.

Also, since I'm reading the books now, I must say that I really enjoyed the Sharpe TV movies (a movie series where Sean Bean DOESN'T DIE ).

The show I really wait new episodes for these days is 'Once Upon a Time' (at times I think I'm more excited for OUaT than I am for Game of Thrones episodes )

If you don't mind anime:
      Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and the 2nd 'season', SAC 2nd Gig)
      Legend of the Galactic Heroes (not much 'action' and lots of politics. no official translation, tho'. fansubs only)
      Gundam: War in the Pocket or 8th MS Team (both are mini-series, I guess)
      sigpic

Comment

Highlander! There can be only one!
        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Care to tell why? Denny Crane? Is that a show?
          No Denny Crane is the reason

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
          If you don't mind anime:
          Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and the 2nd 'season', SAC 2nd Gig)
          Legend of the Galactic Heroes (not much 'action' and lots of politics. no official translation, tho'. fansubs only)
          Gundam: War in the Pocket or 8th MS Team (both are mini-series, I guess)
          You forgot to mention FMA/FMAB, and also Naruto is pretty good too if you like ninja's
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Haven't seen Doctor Who mentioned yet...

The original series (1963-89 & 1996), as well as the new series (2005 - ) are both worth a look.

You seem open to older shows, but I guess I'd still suggest starting from the new series... then take a stab at some older ones. And you don't have to watch all 158 stories in order... Have a look online, there's plenty of suggestions on how to "enter" the classic Doctor Who universe...
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

Haven't seen Doctor Who mentioned yet...

The original series (1963-89 & 1996), as well as the new series (2005 - ) are both worth a look.

You seem open to older shows, but I guess I'd still suggest starting from the new series... then take a stab at some older ones. And you don't have to watch all 158 stories in order... Have a look online, there's plenty of suggestions on how to "enter" the classic Doctor Who universe...
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Alias & Chuck: I tried watching this, they were too cartoony for me to take seriously. I mean, I like goofy, but these shows took it too far.
                Anime: I don't watch cartoons.
                Babylon 5: Been there, done that with STS9. Is Babylon 5 all that different? Does it compare? By that, I mean, is it of equal quality?
                Battlestar Galactica: The premise just doesn't grab me.
                Bones, Castle, The Mentalist: I catch a rerun here and there on TV, but they just don't hold me.
                Boston Legal: I don't like lawyer shows, so I'll pass on this one.
                Buffy & Angel: I liked the initial concept of Buffy, but the later seasons and the spin-off got too weird and demonic. I'll pass.
                Doctor Who: Too many time paradoxes for me to dive into this. Every time the time lord travels through time and has a wacky adventure, the present he returns to should be very different. If this doesn't happen... fail.
                Fringe: Why?
                The Game of Thrones: What's this about?
                Grim: I'm not into supernatural TV shows.
                Highlander: What's this?
                Monk: I'm not really into cop shows.
                Prison Break: I don't care for prison-based fiction.
                Sherlock: I don't like PBS programming.
                Sliders: I like alternate reality shows, but not enough to follow a series dedicated to the subject.
                Smallville: Too much of a teen drama. Roswell is the only teen drama I actually like, and that's only because it involved aliens.
                Supernatural: It's demonic and goes against Christianity in every way possible. Pass.
                True Blood: What's this about?
                The Walking Dead: The bottom line is, my mom does not like zombie fiction, and I would be watching this in the office or living room. Is it going to be graphic? If yes, this show's out.

Comment

You should really try the mentalist from the beginning... Just my two cents, so true blood would not be something for you. It's about vampires, witches and fairies but with much violence, sex ( most of the time unnecessary to the story ) and gore.
                  Alias, too cartoony? I could except it with chuck.. But well, tastes are different I guess
                  Fringe starts first as a usual FBI Show, where a team has to investigate strange phenomena with the help of a crazy but yet one of the most intelligent people in the world, Dr. Walter Bishop ( John Noble ), there always episodic episodes but still an overall arc which culminates in season three... Btw Leonard nimoy has some appearances in season two ( hope was not to spoilery ), it's considered much like x-files for the 21fst century but since season two it has found its own footing.

And you won't watch Sherlock, because you don't like the network? Strange..
                  Last edited by Sp!der; 07 May 2012, 10:22 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Family Guy: great laughs but don't watch if easily offended i.e. racist remarks, drugs, sexual, LOADS of profanity
                    How i Met Your Mother great all around as a Family show and a Comedy and sometimes a Drama
                    Modern Family great as a Family show and a Comedy

but can i just say (not to be rude) why don't you get up and look for shows your self?
                    sigpic
                    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Alias & Chuck: I tried watching this, they were too cartoony for me to take seriously. I mean, I like goofy, but these shows took it too far.
                      Alias was ok, Perhaps Dark Angel would provide a more "scifi element" for you to be interested in?
                      Anime: I don't watch cartoons.
                      Pity, you are missing some great stories in there, but cool.
                      Babylon 5: Been there, done that with STS9. Is Babylon 5 all that different? Does it compare? By that, I mean, is it of equal quality?
                      Umm, I'm a Trekkie, and I think B5 was much better than DS9, and worth the watch, but hey, thats me.
                      Battlestar Galactica: The premise just doesn't grab me.
                      Which part?

Doctor Who: Too many time paradoxes for me to dive into this. Every time the time lord travels through time and has a wacky adventure, the present he returns to should be very different. If this doesn't happen... fail.
                      I actually think you may be looking at this a bit backwards to be honest. Most of say "classic Who" is more about repairing temporal incursions, rather than making specific changes to events. Still, you get from it what you want I guess

The Game of Thrones: What's this about?
                      GoT is a HBO adaption of George RR Martins series starting with the novel game of thrones, If I were going to broadly describe it, it would be a relatively "low magic" environment, focusing on (initially) the internal political struggles of the kingdom (whose name I cannot recall off hand besides the 7 kingdoms), High in well constructed drama, and also some pretty graphic violence.
                      A TV series adaption of the Original movie "Highlander"
                      Sliders: I like alternate reality shows, but not enough to follow a series dedicated to the subject.
                      Smallville: Too much of a teen drama. Roswell is the only teen drama I actually like, and that's only because it involved aliens.
                      You do know that Superman/CK IS an Alien right?? Teen Drama-ish, Sure, to start with perhaps, but it does explore some more "adult issues" as it goes along
                      True Blood: What's this about?
                      R rated Vampire drama

Regarding "supernatural shows"
                      I really think you are limiting yourself something terrible here, but if thats what you believe, cool.
                      This is gonna sound a bit "narky", but it isn't. Perhaps you would be better served providing a list of shows or styles you simply wouldn't consider?
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Grim? Boston Legal? Southland? Yes, I can look them up, but it helps to tell me why you recommend the show.
                        Southland portrays law enforcement personnel very realistically. They're not white knights and many of the characters would chastise and belittle someone for believing so. They have their flaws and demons just like everybody else. Working alongside them though I'm not an officer myself, I deeply appreciate the show's bluntness and realism. It also has a powerful, visceral feel to it that can only come from accounts from real law enforcement officers. And yes, many of the episodes delve into the officers' personal lives which are indissolubly linked with their jobs. There are lots of grey characters, which I also greatly appreciate because of the realism. A law enforcement officers' job may be black-and-white but as people, they most certainly are not and having worked alongside them, I can vouch for that.

Edit: I'll also add my endorsement for Babylon 5. Lots of grey, realistic characters. It has a powerful story arc that details a group of people before, during, and after a war. War brings out the best and the worst in people and B5 examines that in a powerful way.

My favorite shows right now would have to be Game of Thrones and Doctor Who though.
                        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 08 May 2012, 02:00 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sliders
                          First Wave
                          Earth 2
                          Dark Angel
                          Earth Final Conflict
                          Lost
                          The Last Train
                          The X Files
                          Fringe
                          Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

This is a show about Immortals; people who can live forever, provided they do not get decapitated. Through flashbacks, you see these immortals in history, which is one of its drawing points for me. I am a Christian too, and I find the history and the moral dilemmas interesting. The lead writer is Jewish and his storylines can be very good. I think you'd like it.
                            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

You could alway try The Event. It's an alien invasion done 24 style.

Comment

Also, Invasion, which is Body Snatchers done with William Fichtner and Tyler Labine. Harsh Realm, a 9 episode series about a VR world (from the creator of the X-Files).

I could list many others, but you seem pretty dismissive with current suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X