No announcement yet.

The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well some episodes are alright. The first ep was ok. I like Morgan in the series. He can be reasonned with a lot better than in the books.

Spoiler:
    Oh yeah. The death curse thing. He didn’t have time to think of it and release it. I think he has to know who’s responsible for it to work. Didn’t think of Mab and the whole death of her knight power thing being important. Good point with the SGA 38 Minutes and Buffy. Harry could be free to refuse the Winter Knight duty again after “dying”. Maybe Sanya or even Eb had something to do with it. I don’t think Harry opened a way in the Nevernever as he was fading away. A thought maybe Margaret (his mom) is alive and faked her death since she did knew and hanged around bad “things” in the Nevernever. But I don’t think so… Lea gave him his mother red jewel a map in the ways and it came with some price.

Yes Mouse is a temple dog. Lea called him a demon. Perhaps he was the only special puppy in the box in Blood Rites. Mouse said that he chose Dresden. Maybe it was planed for them to meet.
    Last edited by geekywraith; 12 April 2010, 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling it was very late...
    Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
    Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Spoiler:
      Wow, that's a good thought. His mom is still alive but maybe captured by someone. Who knows, she might even be the driving force behind the Black Council, trying to show the White Council how easily they are dismantled. But, that's like something Harry would know though, like he could try to connect to her with his blood or something.

Ohh, so Mouse is the special one out of the group, wow. What if Mouse is "he who walks behind"? Would be a crazy twist. Wonder if White Council will realize Harry killed a person. Well, he didn't use magic though and it was a mercy kill, so is that a workable loophole?

Just realized something, Susan's kinda like the first major character that's been killed off. And it was epic. Although, yea there was Carmichael, but he wasn't established as a big character.

Nice! 25,000. Here's a cigar and champagne. I don't smoke though, lol. That's awesome though. Do you get to like pick your own rank? Pretty awesome though.

Comment

Speculation
        Spoiler:
        Perhaps that she’s alive and the one behind the Black Council hidden somewhere in the Nevernever. Dresden thought that Elaine was dead but she was alive and working for Summer.

I think that was Mouse was the only temple dog in the box in Blood Rites. The other puppies were crying and cowering but not him. Harry did say that the puppy seemed suicidal since it was unafraid of the bad guys and already protective. When Dresden brought the box of puppies to his client he noticed that one was missing and he didn’t protest.

I too wonder what the temple dogs supposed to be guarding. Perhaps that it's something important and valuable to someone? In Changes we find out new things about Mouse. I wonder what sort of demon he is since he could talk. Why did he choose Dresden and to what purpose? Perhaps to what Dresden's meant to become later on. It would be interesting if there was some twist about his origins. Are all temple dogs supposed to be able to talk, glow blue and be demons?

Dresden broke the laws of magic when he killed the former Winter Knight even out of mercy. I hope that there’s a loophole for that. It’s true that Susan a major character and her death will probably have a big impact on Dresden. Her death meant the end of the Red Court. Now that's huge.

Thanks. I don’t smoke either lol. I don’t get anything. The ranks are automatic with the number of posts. At 2,000 posts you get to choose your custom avatar.
        Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Spoiler:
          Ahh, ok about Mouse, crazy new stuff though. Mouse is sentient and he choose Harry, choose him for what though, can't just be because he needs an owner, must be more to it than that. Wonder if Elaine is still out there. Surprised White Council haven't really detected her. Would have vindicated Dresden's past.

Yea, death does that, although Harry seems to be always in some kind of trouble preventing him from doing much of anything other than trying to get out of a sticky situation. Murphy might comfort him, but don't want them to get together because he feels particularly vulnerable now. It should be for the right reasons, I guess. Will have to see how Harry plays out, wonder if he gets a temporary ghost with the near death.

Yea, pretty huge, her death. Grey Council indeed, surprised it has more members. Wonder who they are and how many of the high council are in it. Wonder what Merlin's reaction is going to be.

Comment

Spoiler:
            I hope that Mouse will be back and not disappear for good with Maggie… He's an interesting character even more now. Mouse is not subtle and would attract attention since he's huge and very smart.

I think the reason why the White Council didn’t detect Elaine was explained by her in Summer Knight. Indeed she could have defended Harry’s actions back then. She disappeared once more. Perhaps she’s still alive. But I don’t care if she is.

Trouble and Harry seem go hand in hand… I agree that I wouldn’t want them to get together now. He needs time to heal with so changes in his life and get out of his newest situation in some way.

The Grey Council has Eb and Dresden as its members. I don’t know who might be the others. I do hope that they are important members of the White Council. Well Merlin probably won’t care very much since its Dresden. He’ll probably say good riddance but someone “killing” a member of the White Council might be a declaration of war.

Can't wait to see what happens.

Comment

Spoiler:
              Dang was Ramirez in this book? Oh yea during that meeting and that's it. I wanted him to have a part in Harry's crusade.

Lol, yea, well she might be that demon posing as her. We don't know. Nah, I wouldn't want her to come back either because she's just another person who'll drag him down. Murphy usually doesn't. Molly does sometimes even though he's taught her how to.....run.

Is there someway to ask the author some clarification questions? Like the limitations of a death curse. They have to be curses or can they be good? Oh yea, Harry's mom has to be dead in order for her to have given that Raith king his curse of never having his hunger satiated. Well, she might be dead but maybe part of the hierarchy in a Fae court. Ugh, I hate those courts, so petty and ridiculous. Don't care how much powers they have.

I wanna see Ed do more fancy magic. He kills 100 guys like it's a walk in the park. I wanna know how he brought down that satellite and how all those vampires just stood there waiting for it to come down. Hilarious really.

Wonder if Mouse'll develop new powers.

Comment

I like Ramirez since he told Dresden he could trust him in White Night when Harry went scary and could talk Nevernever creature languages and of course in Dead Beat.

Indeed Molly has learned to use her pretty legs to run when she couldn’t fight an uber baddie. Sue or some plant monster can eat Elaine for all I care ...

Yes there is. You can ask questions on the official JB website. The author occasionally visits and answers questions. I suspect that he’s made himself available for the fans since the latest book. You could register on that forum and ask your questions. I sure he would answer you or some fans.

I think death curses take a lot of energy and probably not that good since it’s a punishment. You’re right about Margaret. For the dead curse to have worked on the White Court she would have to be death. The White Court Raith King killer her with an entropic curse. Yeah I agree the Fae courts are petty and kind of silly. That’s why I found Summer Knight hard to get into. So many characters and bla…

Eb is so powerful and the fact that he can break the laws of magic makes him scary. I was surprised on how easy it was for him to kill so many in Changes. I too would like to know how he brought down the satellite. I would have liked to read the point of view of a vampire right before he was crushed by the satellite. That would have been hilarious.

Well Mouse can talk and people just have to listen. I too wonder if he will. He better be in the next book and Mister too. Perhaps Mouse can drive a car next…

I'm still not happy about the ending of Changes. I keep thinking about it and alternative endings...
                Last edited by geekywraith; 16 April 2010, 06:16 PM. Reason: removed the spoiler tags

Comment

LOL about Elaine. Yea, Ramirez is pretty good of an ally to have.

Ahh ok, I should probably see what's going on there. Probably lots of fans unhappy about the lack of closure at the end of Changes.

Well, some good things can be curses and forms of punishment too like say if someone wanted to curse Ortega when he was around, one way to do that is to power up Harry so essentially cursing Ortega. It all depends on the wording of the curse. One bad can be a curse for someone else. Seems a bit to open ended. I should probably ask him.

LOL, totally would be hilarious. What is that giant flaming thing coming here? Oh, SMACK!

LOL ride a car. Heck he can run as fast as a car. Didn't that happen where Mouse was just running along next to the car in Changes?

lol, I think that was the point of the ending. Leaves you hanging for more but a bitter taste left behind.

Comment

I didn’t have a look on the JB forum. Probably much frustration going on about the ending. Your right the ending does leave you hanging and does leave a bitter taste. It’s kind of like loosing an acquaintance in a pathetic way since I get absorbed by the books of the Dresdenverse. But hey we’ll see Dresden next year in another book. The ending just leaves to a lot to speculation.

If I remember it right a death curse can only be released once since it takes a lot of energy. In one of the books it’s mentioned. It might be in Death Mask when Harry is tied up and tortured by one of the coin baddies.

Yes it is. In Changes Mouse runs a lot and keeps up with the car and in a few books.

What is that giant flaming thing coming here? Oh, SMACK!
                    Lol

The demise of Othera and some Reds...
                    Vampire 1: hmm is that a shooting star?
                    Vampire 2: I think it is. Make a wish.
                    Vampire 1: Oh Oh. It's getting bigger.
                    Vampire 2: oh crap… What did you wish for?!

*crushing sound and an explosion*

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
                      The demise of Othera and some Reds...
                      Vampire 1: hmm is that a shooting star?
                      Vampire 2: I think it is. Make a wish.
                      Vampire 1: Oh Oh. It's getting bigger.
                      Vampire 2: oh crap… What did you wish for?!
                      LOL, that'd be awesome. lol what did you wish for. Betcha there's a lot of fanfiction regarding that scenario.

Yep, left with that bitter taste, I mean Susan's death and him giving up his daughter was bad enough, but having that? Well, it was definitely epic though. The book seemed big enough to have been done in two parts.

Eh, seems a bit open-ended, the curse thing. A good thing for someone could be a bad thing for someone else. Wasn't there something about running water interfering with magic? So would Harry have been able to get off his curse at Nicodemus? I think that was addressed, I have to go back and look. But in Changes, Harry was still doing magic despite the sprinklers.

Little thing I find annoying sometimes. Like right before a big event, the author always does an extensive build-up. Like how weak Harry is compared to the baddie. It happens like every time. The build up of the bad guy right before Harry takes em down. And sorta don't like new things that come out of nowhere to save the day. I mean some surprises are good but some are just too convenient.

Been watching the Dresden files. It picks up pace, I have to say. I could see the potential. Saw the one with Claudia Black. It was kinda cool. Wish Harry didn't have that ridiculous stick though. The power is cool and all but out of a hockey stick? Wish that he'd just get it over with and just show Murphy his powers. Don't like the whole keep things under wraps. Claudia's character was a bit annoying. They showed ley lines which was, I'm guessing, an introduction of things to come. But yea, the magic had been downplayed to little stuff mostly. But guess that's reasonable, everyone wants to see how the hero slowly gains power.

Comment

I agree. So much stuff happened in Changes that it could have continued in another one. The title was appropriate…

Ah yes the water was interfering with the curse thing. Water makes it harder to use magic. But in Small Favors and in Changes Dresden seems to be less affected by it. He’s getting stronger.

It’s true that there’s an extensive build-up and poor Dresden being the weaker one in the fight. And of course the baddie getting beaten by a long battle. I found that the appearance of the Grey Council was convenient. It often looks like he’s at impossible odds to win and does every time.

Ah yes the TV Dresden Files.

The silly hockey stick is annoying because it’s out of place. Ooo can’t have Harry have a wizard’s staff it’s too out-there… I agree that Claudia Black’s character was annoying. What I didn’t about the series like is Murphy never seeing or believing that Harry is truly a wizard. They made her like she is in the first book. Not trusting or believing in Dresden’s wizard’s powers. The ley lines where an interesting thing to bring in the series from the books. The FX for the “monsters” is kind of bad… A TV show is always at a risk of being cancelled so they shouldn’t have so slowly build the hero and characters. What I would have liked is Murphy believing Dresden and joining him to solve cases and not sounding annoyed at him.

Comment

Yea, fitting title. Don't like it though, cause early Harry was awesome. I'm all for ubber powerful Harry, but you have to admit, weak Harry overcoming extraordinary odds through bravery and ingenuity is awesome. Granted, some of Harry's fights are overwhelming odds but kinda like talking about early SG-1, where the enemies are too powerful for them to just bash head on, instead they use their ingenuity and cleverness and bravery to overcome them.

So is curse like a preheld thing kind of power? Like how his rings have all that stored up energy. And Harry should become a little more water resistant right? Being the winter knight and all. Nice to see him have two sides of the coin in terms of power. Both fire and ice, well not water but ice.

I forget, did that vampire chick make the fog or something in that duel at the end? And Harry made some of it ice? No wait, she was able to conjure water right? And he used fire to make it gas. So water magic is possible.

lol, the way Murphy is depicted, she's such a horrrrrrible detective. Dresden's a better detective than she is. Heck Claudia's character might have been better, ok not the last one but still. Thought she would have been able to deduce some of Harry's aspects of a wizard. Yea, both of them taking on problems would have been cool. But can't picture Murphy doing some of the physical aspects like in the books, like fighting and guns.

Ahh, I guess about starting off strong. But, it was a new show. Guessing they had a capped budget to start with.

Comment

I agree once again. I didn’t like all the changes that happened in Dresden's life. It’s going to take time to get used to whatever will happen next. I also preferred Harry in the earlier books. But he was awesome and scary in White Night. Harry is a witty guy and it’s interesting how he manages to win and get out of situations.

I think that the curse is linked to the soul or life energy. Stored up energy for it to be released when the character is killed.

Yes I think that the vampire chick made fog (or water not sure) in the duel. Harry turned it into ice and pierced her with icicles. That was new. As a Winter Knight it’s interesting that he has fire and ice as power. He can continue to destroy buildings and enemies with fire and now use his freezing powers in battle.

TV Murphy is too different from the books. With her looks she could have been cast as Susan. I agree that she isn't a very good detective in the series. Murphy never believes that a supernatural baddies are responsible in her cases. And when she asks Dresden for help she doesn't like the outcome. It’s too much for her to handle or try to believe before the end of the series. In the series I would have loved to see her fight a baddie and not be vulnerable.

Comment

Hopefully, he never loses his token charm and wit. There are some kinds of Harry I like. Like Sue Harry and flipping over a car Harry and some I don't. Hopefully he tries to bring back the magic of Sue Harry and car flipping Harry, no not flicking people off from his car.

Holy crap, can Harry lace soulfire with his curse? Man, Harry has lots of power now, soulfire and winter knight and his own growing resilience and powers. I'd like to see him go up against a Denarian now. They should just kneel down to him. Harry seems too strong. How strong is the Archive? Archive is as strong as a council member right? And she can grow in power?

For some reason, I hope it was Kincaid that shot him. Like Ivy repaying a debt for saving her. She tells him to kill him temporarily to transfer the power to Mab so Harry goes back to normal. Kincaid seems like the kind of guy to be able to make such a shot. Don't really understand all the limitations of Ivy's willingness to interfere in affairs. I mean maybe Harry not having winter knight powers is sort of making things neutral?

LOL fire and ice now. So he can burn a building to the ground but freeze it so it doesn't fall apart. lol. Wonder how much Harry has cost the city of Chicago with all the stuff he's destroyed.

Yea, she is too different. Bob plays a large part in the show which I don't mind but Harry could really use a sidekick of sorts with physical capabilities. Murphy should have been that girl. Think they were building up to that though. Don't wanna start them off being super strong and capable. I like watching the growing and learning process. Though, yea Murphy needed a proverbial kick in the pants to get her started. Think Carmichael had to die before she takes up a new partner.

Comment

Yes I also hope that he doesn’t. I liked his powers in Dead Bead. Oh yeah. Harry could lace soulfire with his curse. He’s got a lot of power now with the new Winter Knight thing.

That’s interesting. Ivy did owe Harry a debt for saving her in Small Favor. Like you said perhaps her favor is sending Kincaid to shoot him. So that with his “death” he’s out of his Knight obligations. I don’t know either about Ivy’s limitations to interfere in affairs. Ivy is powerful and ancient. I don’t know if her powers can grow or if she’s as strong as council member. A wizard of the white council being a winter knight isn’t neutral so balance could have to be restored.

Lol. I would imagine that the cost is very high. Insurances companies go broke when Dresden is in the neighborhood in the aftermath of a battle. Burning a building then freezing what’s left of it could be funny to read.

Bob in the show plays a big part but can’t touch anything of get out unless Dresden takes the skull outside. That’s right Murphy should have been the sidekick on the show. Don’t think they would ever kill her partner. The show isn’t that dark and is mostly “comedic”.

Comment

Working...
                                X