• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler:
    hi
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Spoiler:
      LOL, hi. Yes, this is the spoiler tag thread.

Comment

Spoiler:
        Bob can choose to forget when someone tells him to like the Kemmelar stuff. He reverted into who he was when he was in the service of Kemmelar while he gave Dresden the information. It scared Bob when he saw that he nearly killed Dresden. Bob has a lot of knowledge since he’s be owned by different wizards and perhaps other beings in the Nevernever.

I agree that Murphy should participate more instead of Molly. Molly helps out with subtle magic like invisibility veils and things.

Kincaid is a sillion. He's half human and half something from the Nevernever. I don’t remember if it’s mentioned how that came to be. Oddly enough that doesn’t bother Murphy. Dresden mentor really doesn't like Kincaid. In Dead Beat Murphy went on a vacation with Kincaid to Hawaii and came back with a broken arm. Now then… Vacation or mission? And what happed over there? A short story about that will be released some time. The Archive and Kincaid are probably somewhere… don’t know.

The Dresden Files are the exception. I too dislike most fantasy. I have high expectations and I know what I really don’t want to read. The books with the short stories. I only read the Dresden Files one and not the other authors.

I prefer books. I don’t read that many graphic novels. Hellblazer John Constantine is the story of this underdog character. He’s a magician (not a wizard) he mostly manipulates people. He’s not a very nice guy but not a villain. It’s complicated to explain. I like reading the graphic novels. While waiting for new Dresden Files books sometimes you pick up something that catches your eye and it turns out to be good.
        Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
        Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Spoiler:
          Wow, I definitely need to reread. So Kincaid's like some type of Buffy?

Ugh, need to find the short stories, probably check the library somewhere.

Ahh, ok, seems interesting.

Comment

Spoiler:
            Ebenezar BlackStaff Mcoy mentioned that he worked with Kincaid once. In Blood Rites, Ebenezer stated that Kincaid is half human and half-Nevernever. Ebenezar told Harry that Kincaid's father was some non-faerie Nevernever creature, and a bad one. That he’s some sort of being of the Nevernever but he’s not and Outsider, or a Demon, like the fallen angel.

Dresden asked Kincaid if he was human and he responded that he was as human as Dresden was. Is Dresden special? Or Kincaid wasn’t completely honest with his reply. Dresden used his wizard sight and saw who Kincaid truly was a thing with wings. Kincaid is enigmatic. Hopefully no confrontation between him and Dresden will happen. He once told Dresden that he could kill him with a sniper riffle and that he wouldn’t hear it.

I’m not sure about the Buffy stuff. I saw the series long ago. Buffyverse and Dresdenverse are different universes.

The short story about Kincaid's and Murphy's time in Hawaii (during Dead Beat) is not released yet. Perhaps it will be in the anthology or released in another compilation of stories.

About the short stories…

I recommend that you wait for the release of Side Jobs in November. It will be a compilation of Dresden Files short stories. I bought the books with the short stories and didn’t read the other authors.

Side Jobs
            This anthology brings together the following stories:
            - "Restoration of Faith" (read for free on Jim's Butchers website)
            - "Vignette" (read for free on Jim's Butchers website)
            - "Something Borrowed" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
            - "It's My Birthday Too" -- from Many Bloody Returns
            - "Heorot" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
            - "Day Off" -- from Blood Lite
            - Backup -- novelette from Thomas' POV, originally published by Subterranean Press
            - The Warrior -- novelette from Mean Streets
            - "Last Call" -- from Strange Brew
            - "Love Hurts" -- from Songs of Love and Death (not yet released)
            - And exclusive, all-new material.
            Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              Spoiler:
              hi
              Hi there. Do you know the Dresden Files books? If you don't know them I highly recommend them.
              For more information on the books and chapter samples you can check out the official website of the author.

Indeed this is a spoiler thread since we discuss the books.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/

Comment

Spoiler:
                Ahh, ok. I meant Buffy cause her slayer side is from some demon thing they said in one of the latter seasons. But I forget. Well Kincaid's still cool. Glad he's on the good side, sort of.

Wow, makes me wonder if Dresden has some unknown origin. Like how did he end up with a fae Godmother. Well his mom probably made some deals. It's all very mysterious.

Wonder what the Denarians, Red Court, and Black Court are up to. They should all hook up, lol. White Court, don't much care for. Except Justine and Thomas.

Ahh, I've read almost all the shorts except the ones after Heorot. Guess I'll wait.

Wonder how powerful the original Merlin was. And everything he's accomplished.

SO far with the mythology, they basically include all of them, don't they? All nationalities and cultures. Including Christianity, which I don't get. How can all of em co-exist? Harry mentioned gods and demi-gods and Michael and the knights get their power from one god. It's all very confusing.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Oh ok. I really didn’t remember that the slayer thing comes from a demon in Buffy. It’s kind of a contradiction she’s fighting demons and vampires with that side of her.

I believe that Dresden is fully human but a wizard. That makes him special. Not every regular person can be one. It’s been said that Dresden can become very powerful and that he’s the only one that defeated (temporarily) the demon “he who walks behind” when the sorcerer who adopted him tried to kill him as a teen. I believe it was mentioned in Summer Knight.

Kincaid obviously didn’t want to answer Dresden’s question about who he is. Indeed Dresden’s past is a mystery even for him. We learned a lot in Blood Rites about his mother when Thomas and he did the soul gaze thing. Some of the details are foggy. Apparently Dresden’s mother was hanging out with some dangerous people and that she asked a fae for asylum when she found out she was pregnant. She made some deals that probably still affects Dresden today.

All the baddies joining forces? Scary thought. Well they are probably up to no good and Dresden will have to do some serious kicking.

The all the short stories are good. It’s worth the wait if not you can purchases the various books to get the ones that you didn't read.

Merlin is really “ancient” and powerful. I don’t think the books told much information about him and his accomplishments. It would be interesting.

It’s good that the books include different nationalities and cultures. About the religion thing, perhaps it’s a part of the author’s beliefs. I don’t know why it’s integrated in the books. Dresden isn’t a religious person since he’s a wizard. He doesn’t have a very high opinion about it. It’s been shown in a few books that the church doesn’t like people like him (wizards, witches, vampires and other creatures). Yes it’s confusing. Micheal is a man of faith since he was a knight of the cross. He believes whatever he believes to be true and it doesn’t mean that it’s fact. There are in the Dresdenverse demi-gods and all kinds of things. The Nevernever is another world so anything is possible. They co-exist probably because there are rules that they respect.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Oh yea, I remember that. What is that demon? An outsider? Fae.

Yikes, his mother left him a pretty bad legacy. Wonder what his dad left him. How did one person get into so much deep trouble? His mom, I mean. They did say she had issues with the Council about morality and justice but she really spiraled down.

Well, you never know, the baddies might. We know that the White Council and Denarians have been duped into actions by the Black Council. Maybe the others have been infiltrated as well? And the Fae, have they been duped too? Starts to make me wonder if they aren't behind the entire mess.

Yea, I'll get the short story collection when it comes out. The eclectic religion thing is a bit conflicting because they contradict each other but exist together. But, it's cool, gives a diversity.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      I don’t remember what “he who walks behind” is exactly. I don’t remember if it was mentioned. The “he who walks behind” did make another appearance. It was summoned for an entropy curse in Blood Rites and disappeared when the sun came up. Dresden was born or gifted by Lea to be able to defeat those types of things. Dresden has the potential to be very dangerous. His friends keep him balanced. In Grave Peril he dressed as a cheesy vampire and angered the vamps then burned everything to the ground out of anger. Dresden mother did leave him with a dark legacy because some demons knew her well. Dresden has this rebel side of him with the White Council. Not everything they do is right.

Perhaps it’s in Proven Guilty a demon asked Dresden for one of his names in exchange for info on his mother. Dresden’s father was a regular man. Not much has been said.

It’s complicated to guess who's being played and who’s behind various messes.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Jim Butcher has a good way of converging all the intrigue though into one giant mess that sort of makes sense. He has this other fantasy he's working on, Codex something. I don't wanna really read it though. It's sorta seems like the typical fantasy, and heavy on the politics. Not really my thing.

Don't know if you read mysteries, but I was hoping he'd sort of mix some of those elements into the Dresden Files. Like Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie. But, it's more magic focused. It's very well done though. I really enjoy it. Better than most fantasy I've read, although haven't read much. The Hobbit was great. And unfortunately read the Wheel of Time, the first few were great. Then it got political and just really dragged on and did not focus on the main characters. Dresden is sort of going into the political field but it's more like a toe which I really like because it still is about him and his journey, focuses on him. Not him dealing with politics. I still don't like the little politics in here though.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Indeed he does. I tried to read his other series Codex Alera. I started the first book read half-way and didn’t finish it. I think this series is now over with 6 books. It’s very different from the Dresden Files. It was way too fantasy for my taste. Perhaps I’ll try and read it again some day.

Well I’ve read a few normal mysteries a while ago but it’s cliche in my opinion. The books Dexter by Jeff Lindsay are interesting. But I prefer the Dresden Files by far because of its style and universe. I’ve read the Lord of the Rings a few years ago but didn’t read the Hobbit. Don’t know the Wheel of Time book.

I like the Dresden Files books because Dresden is an anti-hero, an underdog and such a great character.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Yep, Dresden is just great. Everyone loves an underdog.

Here's an idea:
                            Remember in Buffy, Riley was in some anti-supernatural militia? I think Murphy should start one of those. I'm surprised the government does not have such agencies in place for the Dresdenverse. They can't be that oblivious can they? Well, Murphy can't really start one because she would need to have secure finances. Maybe the government can have such an agency and have her run it? It'd be kind of cool despite it being a copy.

The Hobbit was a prequel to Lord of the Rings. Well, Lord of the Rings were a sequel cause I think Hobbit came out first? I only read the Hobbit and the first of the three of the latter ones. They were getting sort of epic. And I have a hard time visualizing all the things he says. I'm not great at comprehending flowery descriptions.

I have a sudden urge to watch all of Buffy and Angel again. lol. They're both great and has good humor despite the high school setting. I kinda wanna see the Dresden Files but if they dumbed down the original story, I feel like I'd cringe mostly. A hockey stick? What was wrong with the original story? Eh.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Yes I remember the whole Riley anti-militia thing in Buffy. I think it would be dangerous because the government might want to exploit the baddies in the Dresdenverse. Things like using them as weapons, super-soldiers and making deals with the wrong people. It might start some war. The White Council would never allow that.

Making deals are bad: the fae, demons. Regular people are not supposed to know about the supernatural and the ones that do are considered crazy. Murphy wasn’t supposed to know about the White Council. She only found out in Summer Knight about them. They prefer not to be known. Murphy could start up something with Kincaid and other key members to backup Dresden in battle or go on missions.

Yes the Hobbit was a prequel to the LOTR. JRR Tolkien was really heavy on descriptions that sometimes it was tiresome to read. Reading about flowery descriptions is enough to make anyone sleepy.

I do enjoy books and series that have a sense of humor. I really dislike the ones that take themselves too seriously. Angel and Buffy were both great series. I think you should pass on watching the Dresden Files TV series. It’s AU and not really related to the books in my opinion. They made so many changes to make the series more accessible to a wider audience. They completely changed Murphy, Bob and Dresden. He’s almost silly and not powerful. He doesn’t carry his gear: coat, pentagram and staff. The whole hockey stick instead of his staff was probably to make him look less like a wizard. Magic, wizards, witches and the whole supernatural world is still considered “bad” for some people who are "religious". So I guess the network decided to tone everything down and make TV Dresden some a non menacing character. It’s cringe worthy. It’s not a bad series just very different.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                :amused: is there a reason why everyone writes only in spoiler tags? i love the dresden files btw though i am not to happy with the fact that susan is supposed to return and preggers too. I seriously disliked her and harry so doesn't need a kid and neither does the book series.
                                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                X