Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't care for any of the characters. Interesting premise, but not enough for me to want to see more

Comment

If there are any more episodes, I'll probably watch, but I think it was trying a little too hard to be twisty and clever. Some of the characters were a bit stereotypical (though I love the chef guys) and all the attempts to "deepen the mystery" just made the whole thing feel a bit muddled.

The "reality show" angle didn't work for me at all mostly because there was no perceptible difference- to me- between what was "the show" and what was "reality." Text overlays and shaky camera movements are not enough of a distinction in my book. I also found certain plot points to be a bit trite and really wish TPTB could have gone for a bit more originality. There were bits that reminded me of Firefly, Matrix, BSG, Alias (LOL! that bit was kinda funny though), Lost and, of course (and alas) 2001.

It just felt very... thin, with too much "Oooo, nothing is as it seems!" and not enough actual substance. A show with a concept like this needs a very strong foundation on which to build. I'm not convinced Virtuality has that.

I also think that a show like this is entirely dependent upon its characters and that they need to be fleshed out and distinct. Skimping on character development in order to shove in more "mystery" might be OK somewhere in the middle of the road, but in a potential pilot? Bad, bad idea.

I can't remember any of the names and other than a couple of characters who were allowed more screen time I can't even separate out the personalities. Or tell you how large the crew is. True, such things aren't always necessary in a pilot and yes, I have a bad memory anyway, but it's usually a good indicator of how long I'm likely to be invested in something. If this doesn't get picked up as a full show, I won't be heartbroken.

Comment

Friday Ratings: NBC Wins With Jackson & Fawcett, Fox’s Virtuality Virtually Unwatched

Net Show 18-49 Rating Viewers Live+SD
        FOX Virtuality 0.5 1.81

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/06/27...nwatched/21531

Comment

that isnt bad is it? hope really that it is still becoming a show although it doesnt look good....sad....fox...sad...-.-
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
            Friday Ratings: NBC Wins With Jackson & Fawcett, Fox’s Virtuality Virtually Unwatched

Net Show 18-49 Rating Viewers Live+SD
            FOX Virtuality 0.5 1.81

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/06/27...nwatched/21531
            I didn't even think about all those people watching shows about two dead famous people. Though considering the show was moved from July 4th it did seem like Fox was going to give it a chance. Just happened to be the wrong night still.
            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
              I didn't even think about all those people watching shows about two dead famous people. Though considering the show was moved from July 4th it did seem like Fox was going to give it a chance. Just happened to be the wrong night still.
              *sigh* What rotten timing.

I really enjoyed it- I LOVED the filming, it was so beautiful! I loved the atmosphere of it. Liked all the characters, story seems pretty interesting. I'd like to see it given a chance as a series, there was some really good stuff there, I think it has potential.

Comment

Gotta admit, while I'm ambivalent about the show I do find it a bit sad and bizarre that Disney's Princess Protection Program was/is a trending topic on Twitter, but if Virtuality ever made it on there I missed it.

Comment

RDM has been involved in ripping off B5, stealing Singer's old BSG script, and finally taking someone else's novel and making it a tv series

How much did they pay Haldeman to shut up?
                  "Virtuality" ran into some trouble last September when author Joe Haldeman claimed "Virtuality" resembled his 2005 novel "Old Twentieth" rather closely. Haldeman's novel centered on a ship called the Aspera which is on a 1,000-year voyage to Beta Hydril. In order for the ship's crew to stay sane, they use a virtual reality system that develops a flaw.
                  http://www.airlockalpha.com/news426330.html
                  Haldeman said at the time he would likely not seek legal action against Fox for "Virtuality," but it most likely remained a possible legal liability for the network.
                  ...it looks like "Virtuality" will be nothing more than a standalone movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bey0nd View Post
                    RDM has been involved in ripping off B5, stealing Singer's old BSG script, and finally taking someone else's novel and making it a tv series

How much did they pay Haldeman to shut up?
                    can you find me something from tv, movies and books that wasn't inspired by someone's elses ideas???

humans have always gotten inspiration from vast area's of the world.

Comment

Just watched this on Hulu. I actually really liked it, and would be thrilled if it became a series. There were things that I'd have liked to see expanded more, but I guess that's the point, right? It was made to be a pilot to a show, so of course it would be open-ended like that.

I wonder why Moore didn't let Sci Fi (SyFy) pick it up? Anyone know anything about that? Was he hoping for a bigger following if it was on a more mainstream network?

I hope it gets picked up.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                        Just watched this on Hulu. I actually really liked it, and would be thrilled if it became a series. There were things that I'd have liked to see expanded more, but I guess that's the point, right? It was made to be a pilot to a show, so of course it would be open-ended like that.

I wonder why Moore didn't let Sci Fi (SyFy) pick it up? Anyone know anything about that? Was he hoping for a bigger following if it was on a more mainstream network?

I hope it gets picked up.
                        it's on hulu ???? OMG i didn't think to look there i missed the pilot once i can green people you will be among the first thank you

Comment

I liked the concept and the world they developed a lot. The reality show angle could make things interesting -- two of their crew are part of creating that show. The pilot was a bit slow, but I definitely finished it wanting to know more about the characters. The twist(s) at the end ... not entirely sold on it.

Unfortunately for those of us looking for intelligent and thoughtful science fiction, I think Fox just didn't like it and decided to burn it off.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                            I liked the concept and the world they developed a lot. The reality show angle could make things interesting -- two of their crew are part of creating that show. The pilot was a bit slow, but I definitely finished it wanting to know more about the characters. The twist(s) at the end ... not entirely sold on it.
                            Haha, I agree with it all, and especially this last portion. Not totally opposed to it, but I really want to see where they'd go with it.

Unfortunately for those of us looking for intelligent and thoughtful science fiction, I think Fox just didn't like it and decided to burn it off.
                            I'm going to hope this isn't the case, though you're probably right
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

Wanted to add, for any that are curious. "Virtuality" is available to watch on Hulu at the following link:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/80030/virtuality

This serves as what would be the series pilot, if the show is ever picked up by Fox (or maybe someone else ).

Who knows, maybe if this gets enough hits it'll make someone take notice.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

It was a bit slow at times, but promising. As for RDM stealing, DS9 was created befroe b5

Comment

Working...
                                X