Wheel of Time Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    There's also a novella based on an anthology story Jordan developed, called "New Spring", but it doesn't really count as a book in the saga, it's more a prequel. However, I highly recommend it after you've read through about the first five books. There's a character in it you won't understand until you get to know her better.
    That was supposed to become a prequel trilogy but he died before he could finish them and so far they havent said anything about sanderson write the other two. If he does I'll read them but if not I probably wont bother with New Spring.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
      That was supposed to become a prequel trilogy but he died before he could finish them and so far they havent said anything about sanderson write the other two. If he does I'll read them but if not I probably wont bother with New Spring.
      From what Brandon's said, it doesn't sound like he'll work in Jordan's world beyond what is to be "A Memory of Light," the final novel. None of the prequels, none of the sequels that Jordan was to write. As much as some of us may want him to, I've seen the list of future stories Brandon has planned; suffice to say, it's massive. I, for one, am grateful that he took time from his own work to do what he's done already.

As I recall, however, "New Spring" holds up pretty well on its own, for what my opinion is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
        From what Brandon's said, it doesn't sound like he'll work in Jordan's world beyond what is to be "A Memory of Light," the final novel. None of the prequels, none of the sequels that Jordan was to write. As much as some of us may want him to, I've seen the list of future stories Brandon has planned; suffice to say, it's massive. I, for one, am grateful that he took time from his own work to do what he's done already.

As I recall, however, "New Spring" holds up pretty well on its own, for what my opinion is worth.
        oh.. I though the last one was going tro be Taimon Gaidon....

Okay.

*spoilers for.. oh... book 2 or 3 and on*
        Spoiler:
        What happens to all the wolves? That was half of what made Perrin so awesome and by book 7 he isn't talking to them anymore..
        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
        ---
        sigpic

Comment

oh.. I though the last one was going tro be Taimon Gaidon....
          "Shifting Winds" and "Tarmon Gaidon" were only ever tentative titles at best. I believe the idea at first was for the final three books to carry A Memory of Light in their title...but that would have been near impossible to carry out. Brandon really wants the final novel to be "A Memory of Light," which is what Jordan wanted. At this point, however, none of this is set in stone. Well, except for "The Gathering Storm," but that hardly counts.

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!!
          Okay.

*spoilers for.. oh... book 2 or 3 and on*
          Spoiler:
          What happens to all the wolves? That was half of what made Perrin so awesome and by book 7 he isn't talking to them anymore..
          It's obvious isn't it? I'll spell it out for you.

Spoiler:
          The wolves hate Perrin....just like half the fanbase. They fell for his fake awesomeness at first, and then they discovered the truth, and abandoned him.

Comment

"Shifting Winds" and "Tarmon Gaidon" were only ever tentative titles at best. I believe the idea at first was for the final three books to carry A Memory of Light in their title...but that would have been near impossible to carry out. Brandon really wants the final novel to be "A Memory of Light," which is what Jordan wanted. At this point, however, none of this is set in stone. Well, except for "The Gathering Storm," but that hardly counts.

It's obvious isn't it? I'll spell it out for you.

Spoiler:
            The wolves hate Perrin....just like half the fanbase. They fell for his fake awesomeness at first, and then they discovered the truth, and abandoned him.

Ah.. okay.

Spoiler:
            I still like perrin
            ---
            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
              ROFL! I can't stand Perrin.

As for the prequels and Mat and Tuon outrigger novels, Brandon isn't really keen on anybody doing them, but if they (Harriet and Tom) decide to do them and ask him, he said he won't turn them down. I would be very interested in the Mat and Tuon stories. I love me some Mat!
              sigpic

Comment

I´ve read the first three books and they captured me they really did, its not often you find such exellent written fantasy ... or I´m just not very good at finding it

Comment

I dont see what is so wrong with Perrin
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
                    ROFL! I can't stand Perrin.

As for the prequels and Mat and Tuon outrigger novels, Brandon isn't really keen on anybody doing them, but if they (Harriet and Tom) decide to do them and ask him, he said he won't turn them down. I would be very interested in the Mat and Tuon stories. I love me some Mat!
                    Yes, but just the way he said it, it didn't sound like Harriet would ask him. It was a while back, maybe things have changed, or I read too much into comments, but that's what I got from it.

Besides, I'm not sure I'd want Brandon to work on them. He has stories of his own to tell. Off the top of my head:

1. The Way of Kings (about 10 books), his own epic series.
                    2. Nightblood (1 book), the planned sequel to Warbreaker.
                    3. Two more planned trilogies in the Mistborn universe. (6 books).

And I'm sure that were more on the list, but that's 17 just between those three items. You can't expect him to work in that universe forever.

And really, how many authors out there now have the talent to dabble in Jordan's world? I don't know about what you think, but I can count them on one hand.

I'll take this back if there's a Jahar Narishma novel that Jordan had planned. In that case, Brandon needs to get to work.

Comment

Yes, but just the way he said it, it didn't sound like Harriet would ask him. It was a while back, maybe things have changed, or I read too much into comments, but that's what I got from it.

Besides, I'm not sure I'd want Brandon to work on them. He has stories of his own to tell. Off the top of my head:

1. The Way of Kings (about 10 books), his own epic series.
                      2. Nightblood (1 book), the planned sequel to Warbreaker.
                      3. Two more planned trilogies in the Mistborn universe. (6 books).

And I'm sure that were more on the list, but that's 17 just between those three items. You can't expect him to work in that universe forever.

And really, how many authors out there now have the talent to dabble in Jordan's world? I don't know about what you think, but I can count them on one hand.

I'll take this back if there's a Jahar Narishma novel that Jordan had planned. In that case, Brandon needs to get to work.
                      I think the series should end with the 14th book, and the Final Encyclopedia. If anyone should do the Outriggers, it should be Sanderson, but I think WoT shouldn't become another Dune or another Star Wars. I think it should just end. In 5 years, I want to look on my shelf and say, "Now that's a good series," not "Dang, I'm going to buy another book."
                      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I highly recommend "New Spring". The original version of "New Spring" was written as part of the "Legends" anthology series in 1998 which featured short stories by Ursula LeGuin and Terry Pratchett as well. I'm not sure if Jordan had intended it at that time to be part of a trilogy of prequels, but on its own in the Legends anthology, it is completely stand alone. And I actually prefer it in the Legends story over the novella. I feel like the Legends version was a little more tightly told than the first half of the novella, which is where all the new material is added in.

Either way, the actual 'new spring' part (the part where they're traveling in the Borderlands, called 'new spring' because of the weather) is excellent. One of Jordan's best and one of my favorite stories out of the entire WOT series. It helps I love Moiraine and Lan, but this story is told well, is really entertaining and a has a resolution to the fight. It also fills in some holes and lets you see the history of characters twenty years before they make their appearance in the WOT--which means very different attitudes for some of them. It is completely worth the time.

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                        I think the series should end with the 14th book, and the Final Encyclopedia. If anyone should do the Outriggers, it should be Sanderson, but I think WoT shouldn't become another Dune or another Star Wars. I think it should just end. In 5 years, I want to look on my shelf and say, "Now that's a good series," not "Dang, I'm going to buy another book."
                        I agree. I only want the ending to Tarmon Gaiden, and that's all I need. I enjoy Mat and everybody else, but I don't want sideways stories or prequels. Let it have an epic ending and leave it at that!
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

I would be happy with the books ending at the 14th novel. Part of me wants only to guess in my own mind what happens to the characters after it ends. Although, I wouldn't be terribly upset though if they continued. Tom (from Tor) is the one that really wants to do the outrigger books. Of course I will be jumping at the chance to read Harriet's encyclopedia too.
                          Last edited by Care; 15 September 2009, 01:05 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Quote from BS' blog.

Secondly, you may have noticed that the WoT Book 13 progress bar has started inching forward again. Yes, I'm back to work on it, though I'm working on a section other than what I was planning. (Still waiting for some research from Charleston.) So I haven't started my re-read of KOD yet; instead, during my evenings, I did a revision of ALCATRAZ 4 so that I could send that off to my editor and have it out of the way completely. That is now done.

As for that book . . . well, it's time for it to have a title. We've been calling it Shifting Winds up until this point, but that was never intended to be the final title. After a long round of conversations with Tor and Harriet, we settled on TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT as the title. There are various reasons for this, which I'll go into more once the book is out next year. I'm pleased, however, as this was the title I suggested. It's actually appropriate in an interesting way. Harriet was the one who came up with the name for the first of the three, and the second one gets the title I proposed. And so, we will (as I've been saying for a while) use Mr. Jordan's title for the final of the three, A MEMORY OF LIGHT.

I thought for a while on that last choice. If you've been following along these last couple of years, you know that my original intention was for this to be one book. When it was split, I still wanted it to be one book in name, in an attempt to honor Mr. Jordan's wishes that it be one book. (I still plan to suggest an omnibus edition at a later point, but the three books together will probably be too long for that to be an option.) Anyway, I was going to have A MEMORY OF LIGHT be the title (along with a subtitle) for each of the three books. When that fell through, I was left thinking on my next step.

Mr. Jordan named the final book A MEMORY OF LIGHT. It's one of the things we have from him, and I wanted very badly to use it. But at the same time, he named the three books AMOL, and I wondered if it wouldn't be better to let fans think of them as AMOL together, never using the title itself in case we managed to get that omnibus done. In the end, however, I decided that the title was simply too good not to use. I can't count on that omnibus, and I feel that using the title on the last third of the book is the best way to honor Mr. Jordan's wishes. It wasn't an easy decision, and some will disagree with it. But it is what we're going to do. So, the three books are:

THE GATHERING STORM
                            TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT
                            A MEMORY OF LIGHT

Link to the Sanderson post (same thing) : LINK!
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post

THE GATHERING STORM
                              TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT
                              A MEMORY OF LIGHT
                              Thanks, I hadn't been to Brandon's website recently. We knew of "The Gathering Storm" and "A Memory of Light" already, so it's nice have the trio rounded out with "Towers of Midnight" now. Sounds like Brandon picked a winner though.

Comment

Epic names

About 100 pages left in Winters Heart
                                ---
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X