This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Descent View Post
    Sorry. I misread your post. Ugh. I thought you said Star Wars.
    That alright.

Originally posted by Commander of the USS Capricorn View Post
    I notice Heroes isn't on here
    Heroes I think it still to young to be on here.
    Fringe could be added but that need grow some more first.

Comment

Best 3 quality wise imo are:

ST DS9, New BSG + Lost.
      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        Lost? Seriously? I don't really think about Lost as a sci-fi show.
        What do you think of it as?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          What do you think of it as?
          be quiet you, Lost being scifi is the biggest secret in television. Man the amount of people who watch that show and do not know it scifi has always amaze me, I mean you got invicible islands, smokey energy creature, time travel, a button you have to push every 180 minutes, strange numbers, secret scientific organisations, underwater bases. strange statue, bunkers.

I do now know what more you need for it to be scifi. so let it keep it our little secrete.

Comment

I think the reason so many people don't find Lost to be SF is that although all the trappings of the 'impossible' stuff is pseudo-scientific, like magnets and computers couting down, the actual form that the impossible stuff takes - like moving islands, I See Dead People, smoke monsters, coincidental ties emerging between everyone that ever appeared onscreen and every other character - and all that is very Fantasy indeed. It's more Twin Peaks than X Files.

Madeleine

Comment

Lost isn't SciFi. It's fantasy/drama.

Let's grab the definition of SciFi:
              Wikipedia: "SciFi is a broad genre of fiction that often involves speculations based on current or future science or technology."
              Answers.com: "A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background."

Does Lost incorporate any of those things up until this point in time? No.

The prosecution rests its case and wishes to strike Lost as SciFi from the records.
              Signed,

Gregorius
              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                Lost isn't SciFi. It's fantasy/drama.

Let's grab the definition of SciFi:
                Wikipedia: "SciFi is a broad genre of fiction that often involves speculations based on current or future science or technology."
                Answers.com: "A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background."

Does Lost incorporate any of those things up until this point in time? No.

The prosecution rests its case and wishes to strike Lost as SciFi from the records.
                Actually, several of the Dharma facilities use some pretty advanced technology

A giant f-ing electromagnet
                Some valve that you turn, and it magically teleports the island to another region of space/time
                Pylons in the formation of a wall that provide a form of aural defence
                To name a few

by commander of the uss capricorn

Comment

Why is there no option for "Buck Rogers"??????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                  MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

or six million dollars man,
                    Lost in Space , and I am sure there many more which could be added to the list and be consider greats. But are they the best, I still have not chosen.

Nah Lost is scifi simply because it uses science and technology to do the stuff it does. Fantasy tend to use magic instead.

Comment

Aiiiee! I should have known that Invasion: Earth was going to have a mention in yet another sci fi poll! I had purged that show from memory (again) after it was brought up in a thread on GW a couple of years ago.
                      Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Actually it ended naturally with one series. It wrap everything up in a nice little package. Which basically was there only so many time they could attempt a mass invasion and we have already chosen to stand and fight or in this case we basically declared that we would rather nuc our planet to death rather than become slaves. The show ended with a fifty megaton nuclear bomb destroying enough of the life forms surrounding there life sucking machine to let it run out of energy, collapsing there portal and forcing them to open a other one, which takes enormous energy, simply we were not worth the hassle.

So it was a descent serious and deserve to be on the list.
                      I cannot decide on what is my absolute favorite is.
                      I dunno
                      Spoiler:
                      I took from the conclusion that the nuclear detonation was a failure, and all they did was provide them with more energy to take over the Earth a lot faster. The ending did rather leave us hanging.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

My choices would be, in no particular order

1. Doctor Who.
                        2. Babylon 5.
                        3. Space 1999.
                        4. The Prisoner.
                        5. BSG- New.
                        6. Blake's 7.
                        7. Firefly.
                        8. Farscape.
                        9. Sanctuary
                        10. SG-1.
                        11. Atlantis.
                        12. Star Trek. NG and Classic.
                        13. Eureka
                        14. Earth: Final Conflict
                        15. Torchwood
                        16. Time Tunnel.

That's all I can think of right now.

Comment

Doctor Who! I only started watching it in January and was amazed by it instantly! Never thought that SG1 would stop being my favorite show.

Comment

Cant Pick One So;

Doctor Who
                            X-Files
                            SG-1
                            Trek DS9
                            Firefly
                            SGA
                            Andromeda

Thats In No Particular Order
                            People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander of the USS Capricorn View Post
                              Actually, several of the Dharma facilities use some pretty advanced technology
                              As does True Blood, doesn't make it SciFi.

Anyway, I was kinda wondering why Red Dwarf and Dark Angel aren't on that list. The former being a long lasting SciFi/Comedy on the BBC and the latter a cult SciFi/Drama series.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                                Aiiiee! I should have known that Invasion: Earth was going to have a mention in yet another sci fi poll! I had purged that show from memory (again) after it was brought up in a thread on GW a couple of years ago.
                                I dunno
                                Spoiler:
                                I took from the conclusion that the nuclear detonation was a failure, and all they did was provide them with more energy to take over the Earth a lot faster. The ending did rather leave us hanging.
                                Spoiler:
                                I took from it that it was going to be an endless unwinnable struggle - but one we'd make none the less.

That's why it's so great!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X