This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra UK Review

First-things-first - as a born-and-bred Brit, I have little knowledge of the legend of G.I. Joe. The character, action figures, cartoon and comic barely reached these shores, with us limeys instead getting the not-too-dissimilar Action Man. So I'll leave the educated review to my American colleagues - this one will be written purely on newcomer terms.

And in spite of many misgivings, including ropey CGI, convoluted storytelling and a smattering of horribly over-the-top performances, G.I. Joe is a blast from start-to-finish.

continues:
    http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/101/1010017p1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post

First-things-first - as a born-and-bred Brit, I have little knowledge of the legend of G.I. Joe. The character, action figures, cartoon and comic barely reached these shores, with us limeys instead getting the not-too-dissimilar Action Man. So I'll leave the educated review to my American colleagues - this one will be written purely on newcomer terms.

And in spite of many misgivings, including ropey CGI, convoluted storytelling and a smattering of horribly over-the-top performances, G.I. Joe is a blast from start-to-finish.

continues:
      Not a bad review, IMO. What I want to know though, is that with all the talk, there has been almost no mention of
      Spoiler:
      Cobra Commander. Is his role that small in this movie? If so, I will be very disappointed.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

DS Review: GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra

Stephen Sommers's latest supermassive action movie GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra brings the Hasbro toyline, comic books and '80s cartoon to cinemas in a tornado of vacuous heroes, moustache-twirling villainy and underwhelming spectacle. It would be foolish to expect The Godfather, of course, and it's not the depraved sensory violation of the Transformers sequel, but surely blockbusters can be a little more finessed and imaginative than this?

continues:
        http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...-of-cobra.html

Video interviews with the cast of G.I. Joe

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/check-o...ideo-inter.php
        Last edited by Madwelshboy; 07 August 2009, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Dennis Quaid talks G.I. Joe, Pandorum, Legion

Dennis Quaid will be everywhere over the coming months.

The veteran actor—whose credits include Dreamscape, Enemy Mine, Frequency and The Day After Tomorrow—has a stockpile of new genre films on the way. First, there's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, which opens today, in which he plays Gen. Hawk, leader of a top-secret team of soldier-heroes.

continues:
          http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/dennis-...lks-gi-joe.php

Comment

DS Review: GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra

Stephen Sommers's latest supermassive action movie GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra brings the Hasbro toyline, comic books and '80s cartoon to cinemas in a tornado of vacuous heroes, moustache-twirling villainy and underwhelming spectacle. It would be foolish to expect The Godfather, of course, and it's not the depraved sensory violation of the Transformers sequel, but surely blockbusters can be a little more finessed and imaginative than this?

continues:
            http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...-of-cobra.html

Video interviews with the cast of G.I. Joe

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/check-o...ideo-inter.php
            Well, I actually enjoyed the Transformers sequel. So, as usual, I will just see this movie and judge for myself.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I saw the movie tonight. AND IT TOTALLY ROCKED!!! Hot Guys, Tons of Action, and Dennis Quaid looking HOT as General Hawk!!!

GIVE 10 THUMBS UP!!!
              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
              CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
              GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
              VCON VANCOUVER 2010
              FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

EW Review - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the other Hasbro movie of the summer, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra makes Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen look like high art. The F/X are relentless, the acting is god-awful (et tu, Dennis Quaid?), the one-liners are corny, and it goes on forever. Worst of all, the rah-rah teen-targeted flick fetishizes shiny military weaponry to such a degree that it feels like a really expensive (and really irresponsible) recruitment ad. Don't go expecting an escapist night at the movies; go expecting to be cudgeled into numb, drooling submission. D

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20296795,00.html

Comment

As usual, I couldn't care less what critics and such think. I will hopefully see this soon, and be able to judge for myself. Quite a few people I know saw it and liked it.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Critically blasted G.I. Joe storms box office with $56.2M

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra stormed the Aug. 7 weekend box office, selling an estimated $56.2 million worth of tickets in its first three days to take the top slot, the Reuters news service reported.

The film's distributor, Paramount Pictures, opted not to screen the movie in advance for newspaper and magazine critics, leading them to lambaste the film unseen. The studio did screen it for a few select online critics, including SCI FI Wire, most of whom liked it. And, no, there was no quid pro quo agreement that they write positive reviews before they saw it.

Once the newspapers and magazines saw the movie, they predictably blasted it, giving the movie a 31 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/critica...ted-gi-joe.php

Comment

Critically blasted G.I. Joe storms box office with $56.2M

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra stormed the Aug. 7 weekend box office, selling an estimated $56.2 million worth of tickets in its first three days to take the top slot, the Reuters news service reported.

The film's distributor, Paramount Pictures, opted not to screen the movie in advance for newspaper and magazine critics, leading them to lambaste the film unseen. The studio did screen it for a few select online critics, including SCI FI Wire, most of whom liked it. And, no, there was no quid pro quo agreement that they write positive reviews before they saw it.

Once the newspapers and magazines saw the movie, they predictably blasted it, giving the movie a 31 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/critica...ted-gi-joe.php
                      This is the kind of tactic you pull when you don't want negative reviews to hamper the public from seeing it. It shows they don't have much faith in the film. Or they learned from the transformers incident. Sad.

I will not be seeing this film, maybe I'll change my mind a few years down the line. I doubt it though.

Comment

I will hopefully be seeing it soon.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          As usual, I couldn't care less what critics and such think. I will hopefully see this soon, and be able to judge for myself. Quite a few people I know saw it and liked it.
                          I agree. I'll read the reviews. But then go to see the movie to make up my own mind. And as usual, what they say about a movie, is TOTALLY WRONG!!!
                          MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                          MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                          POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                          CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                          GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                          VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                          FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

continues:
                            Lies. It used to be on TV all the time.

Comment

GI Joe sequel already confirmed

Fresh from earning $100 million worldwide on its opening weekend, GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, will soon be heading for a sequel.

Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore confirmed that plans to continue the franchise are going ahead to The Los Angeles Times. The newspaper also states that while the cast are contractually obliged to return for more films, director Stephen Sommers is not, giving open speculation as to who will direct the sequel to a film that has been a success financially, but has bombed critically.

GI Joe is based on the popular toy line by Hasbro. The adaptation, currently in cinemas at the moment, stars Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller, and has a 12A certificate

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/gi-jo...ady-confirmed/
                              Last edited by Madwelshboy; 14 January 2010, 01:45 AM.

Comment

I am really glad we will be seeing more from GI Joe on the big screen.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X