Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought tonight's ep was mediocre. Interesting to see how events spin for some of John's descendants, but not all that interesting a turn. VERY displeased by the implications of the preview for next week. I hope it's misleading.

Comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...i_stuff-2.html

'Amsterdam' star: It's more than sci-fi stuff
      By CRISTINA KINON
      DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
      Monday, April 14th 2008, 4:00 AM

"New Amsterdam" star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau wants viewers to know the Fox drama is not all sci-fi fun and games.

"Don't be put off by the whole immortality thing," Coster-Waldau told the Daily News. "It's not about supernatural stuff, but more about a guy who just struggles like we all struggle. Of course, it's a little extreme because he lives so long, but he has to learn from his past mistakes to lead a fulfilling life."

"New Amsterdam" is about John Amsterdam (Coster-Waldau), a New York homicide detective who happens to be immortal because of a spell cast upon him in 1642. The spell won't be broken, and Amsterdam will not age, until he finds true love. The series also stars Alexie Gilmore, Stephen Henderson, Susan Misner and Zuleikha Robinson.

The season finale airs tonight at 9.

"It's an episode called 'Love Hurts,'" said Coster-Waldau. "It's all about being truthful in a relationship."

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Did this show get picked up for another season?

IHS
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
          Did this show get picked up for another season?

IHS
          Not yet, I don't think. Ausiello at TVGuide put its chances of renewal at 6 out of 10, but then downgraded that to a 4/10. Not sure why.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...rite/800037719
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

This article is from a week ago, but Kristin at E!Online doesn't think the chances of a second season for New Amsterdam are very good.

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristi...2-0282e99bd77a
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

Sad news for the fans:

New Amsterdam is cancelled.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...-Fox/800039290
              - Life after Stargate -
              sigpic

Comment

Can't say I'm very surprised or upset over it. I'd probably have been shocked if it HAD been renewed. New Amsterdam was only ever meant as filler for the writer's strike, and while it was a decent enough show I don't think it was a break-out hit. I also started to lose interest towards the end and, in fact, still haven't managed to see the last ep, but I haven't been trying hard because I didn't like the direction it was starting to go, particularly if the doctor really WAS the one and if John really was becoming mortal. So it was nice while it lasted, but I'm not gonna start any campaigns to save it.

Comment

Wasn't the best show in the world, but it's a shame it didn't go a bit longer, as it was a good concept + had potential.
                  Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I didn't love the show, but I'm still disappointed that it was canceled.
                    I just watched it on hulu.com and thought it tended towards the cheesy (but I like cheesy sometimes).
                    Lots of potential, but somewhat a rehash of Highlander meets Law&Order (both shows that I like).
                    I'm glad they at least solved the whole Dr. Red Herring - because I didn't like her too much either.

Ah well, another one bites the dust.

Comment

I really liked New Amsterdam. I thought it had a lot of potential. They really should reconsider their decision.

Comment

Anyone here liked USA Network's (USA) "New Amsterdam"?

Too bad it was not renewed for a second season.
                        sigpic

Comment

That was a USA show? Huh.

Anyway, there's already a discussion thread for it here. Liked it while it lasted. More or less.

Comment

New Amsterdam star cast as lead in new Sci-Fi series:http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...Star/800042104

Comment

Here's a theory of the 'science of New Amsterdam':

The process of "magic" is accessing and controlling certain energies and entities from other dimensions. Because these other dimensions possess physical laws that are tremendously different from our own, these extradimensional forces defy the universal laws of physics. The "spell" that the Lenape cast on John Amsterdam was the summoning of an extradimensional electromagnetic field that is a sentient energy-based lifeform. The lifeform has bonded to John's body and taken form as an inconspicuous energy pattern linked to the natural electromagnetic field of his body. Since the EM field lifeform permiates John's entire body, it innately possesses an intrinsic understanding of all aspects of his physiology (including DNA) to a degree that is beyond human comprehension. That's why it knows how to manipulate his physiology to grant him immortality.

The EM field lifefom is also connected to John's consciousness and subconsciousness and that's how it knows who will be his "soul mate." It emits a telepathic field that scans the minds of women around John to find the woman who would be the genuine 'perfect match'. When John is in the presence of that match, the EM field lifeform alerts him by giving him a heart attack. When John finally finds that match and they fall in love and the EM field lifeform scans from both John's mind and his match's mind that based on their individual psychological profiles they could never fall out of love with each other...the EM field lifeform will unbind itself from John's physiology, thereby restoring his mortality.

Because of the EM field, decapitation is the only thing that could ever permanently kill John Amsterdam. The EM field lifefom repairs John's body whenever it's damaged by rebuilding his flesh from scratch by stimulating the cells still there to divide far more rapidly than normal, and revives him from temporary death even after his main organs have stopped operating. It acts like a jump start on cells and John's major organs to get them going again. How long it takes wounds to heal depends mostly on the type of wound and location of the wound.

The EM field speeds up the healing process to such an extent that it happens within minutes, and the process is perfect, leaving no scars or marks because the EM field allows John's cells to access the genetic blueprint to a greater extent than normal human cells. But the EM field lifeform cannot replace parts lost from the external body, meaning John's body still cannot regenerate limbs or other appendages. His internal organs do get regenerated. Because they are contained inside his body cavity, the EM field is very concentrated around them and through them. If John's heart, for example, is cut out, he will, of course, die temporarily. Then a new heart will be grown by the EM field lifeform and he will revive.

Another astonishing benefit of the EM field lifeform is that it completely protects John's cells from free radicals and ambient radiation, preventing any oxidative and ionization damage to his DNA. In addition, the EM field has an effect on certain protein structures to drastically stimulate the production of telomerase (an enzyme that prevents chromosomal degeneration), so John continuously possess the enzyme in every cell in his body. This completely prevents cellular senescence and therefore gives all of his cells replicative immortality. Due to a perfect cellular replication and no added damage to DNA, the development of a degenerative condition or cancerous cells in John's body is impossible. The EM field also suppresses the functions of the genetic sequences responsible for the natural metabolic processes involved in aging. As a result of these effects of the EM field, since his first "death" John has become physically incapable of aging.

Comment

Working...
                              X