Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicely written exchange between Capt. Jack and Det. John ShadowMaat.

I am really starting to fall for this show. So far I find it to be quite fascinating, decently written (better than I expected) and rather well-acted. For those who might have missed the second episode, I will give you the Readers Digest version ......
    Spoiler:
    John and his partner are investigating the death of a prep school student and discover that it may have been murder and not accidental. Along the way, Omar reminds John of an upcoming anniversary which turns out to be the anniversary of Omar's mother's death - Lily, who died in 1945. It's discovered that Omar is John's son. John fell in love with Lily in the 1940's, a time when it was impossible to have a relationship with a black woman. The two have a brief affair but she breaks it off after her father learns of the affair. This causes John to join the Army, but he later returns just in time to find Lily has given birth to his son, whom he names after their favority poet - Omar. John eventually solves the case and gives Omar the very book of poems that he had given Lily, telling him that she meant very much to him and he wished she could have been the one. It ends with Omar playing the piano and singing while John leaves, full of memories. John also meets Omar's daughter and young grandchild (a boy).

NOTE: Remember that New Amsterdam moves to its regular night this coming Monday.

Comment

I for one am loving this series so far. It is a very interesting premise, and it seems so far that they are executing the idea very well. We'll see how it goes from here, but so far I am very intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by philstar22 View Post
        I for one am loving this series so far. It is a very interesting premise, and it seems so far that they are executing the idea very well. We'll see how it goes from here, but so far I am very intrigued.
        Well said (although the acting could be a little better) this show is very entertaining and unique. I like where it might lead to.
        Originally posted by Starbase
        NOTE: Remember that New Amsterdam moves to its regular night this coming Monday.
        Thank's for the tip, otherwise I would have forgotten its on tonight.

Comment

New Amsterdam has been pretty good so far, even if it is just Highlander: The Series without the head chopping.

The fact that John's immortality doesn't stop him having children is great. I wonder how many children he's had and out-lived? It's an interesting concept.

I hope some kind of overall arc emerges besides him trying to get the girl though. He really needs some kind of nemesis to keep things interesting. The problem with him being a homicide cop is that there are really only so many murder's he can solve before it all starts feeling a little too familiar.

It's also a potential problem with him having already found the "one" woman. How long can he chase after her until it gets old and he gets his mortality back? I think introducing her character right from the get go was probably a mistake. It could've gone an entire season without her. As it stands, the show has already limited itself in terms of scope. Then again, it could be short but sweet.

All in all,

Comment

Well, given that at the very least we know there are "toxic levels of lead" in his system I question how long he'd live if he did become mortal. It'd be kinda harsh to find his One And Only just to drop dead after their hearts are united or whatever the stipulation was. LOL!

Nice ep. Nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible, either. I'll be very interested to learn the results of those tests and see how many other ways he should be dead.

I wonder if he ever has to worry about bloodlines when he's romancing a girl. It'd be kind of embarrassing to find out he was dating his own great-granddaughter or something.

Comment

I missed the episode on Thursday because they put it opposite of Lost - and I'm not missing Lost for anything!

But I did manage to remember that they moved it to Monday. I liked episode 3 and I think the move to Monday will be good. Has anyone heard how it did in the ratings?

edit: I also like the name of the show itself. Being a New Yorker - I'm glad to see that it's filming here. And also that New York City used to be called "New Amsterdam."
              Last edited by Suzotchka; 11 March 2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Solid episode (best of the 3 so far). The Civil War angle made this episode especially interesting to me. And the fact that the writers included very accurate information only made it better. The Battle of Antiedam is one of the better known battles. The inclusion of Walt Whitman was genius (especially if you understood the meaning).

I loved the part where he checks his pulse when he sees the doctor (rather romantic in a innocent and cheesy way). Though it's not the "finding his one true love" that interests me as much as his long life and his evolution through time, I did feel as if I had been punched in the gut much like I am sure he felt when the Dr. Sara introduces him to her meathead looking husband.

One pet peeve I have - is John's references to himself being as old as he is, especially to his partner. It was funny and cool the first 2 episodes, now it's time to lighten up a bit on it.

Comment

I stumbled upon this show...I'd heard a very little about it in another thread and tuned in Monday, probably 15 minutes in, without viewing the previous episodes. I was very confused. I couldn't figure out why he was having flashbacks...he made a reference to good karma, so I thought perhaps the premise of the show was he was reincarnated and remembering his past lives.

I like the actual premise a lot better (now that I know it), except I'm not big on the whole finding true love thing. Especially if it's going to be with a married woman. I'll have to check if the first two eps are online to be viewed. It seems like an interesting show.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                    I'll have to check if the first two eps are online to be viewed. It seems like an interesting show.
                    If you live in the U.S. you can watch them on FOX.com.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                      If you live in the U.S. you can watch them on FOX.com.
                      Thanks. I do, hopefully I will have a chance to watch them this weekend.

Comment

I heard the show dropped 22% of it's viewers. I hope it sticks around.

Comment

I must say, while it is a decent show I was a bit ticked off that they didnt bother to check thier history. In the suicide flashback scene, where the revolutionary soldier kills himself, a revolver is used, they werent invented yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                            I must say, while it is a decent show I was a bit ticked off that they didnt bother to check thier history. In the suicide flashback scene, where the revolutionary soldier kills himself, a revolver is used, they werent invented yet.
                            It was the Civil War not the Revolutionary War portrayed in Monday's episode Soldiers Heart. Revolvers were very common in the Civil War.

I enjoyed Monday's episode, it seems like its building in the right direction. I like the John character, he has just the right amount of sarcasm for his situation. I will definetly keep watching.

Comment

My mistake, the fact that they said they were fighting for thier independance and that the other soldiers ahd muskets through me off

Comment

I enjoy the show a lot but I have one complaint.....

The writers throw around the fact that he can't die way too much. That sounded confusing let me explain. They don't try to protect the secret as much as I thought they would. IMO it would be a lot better if maybe only one person knew. And everyone else just says what?

Comment

Working...
                                X