Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went in thinking 'oh no, not another vampire show", but I guess they knew better It was an okay pilot, I'll watch a few episodes before I decide if its a must see show. I did find it little funny, that he's not really trying to hide that he's immortal; always making comments/ giving clues to his age
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      I did find it little funny, that he's not really trying to hide that he's immortal; always making comments/ giving clues to his age
      He's taking advantage of the natural obliviousness of humanity. Doesn't matter what you tell folks, they'll only hear what they expect to hear. Aliens over London? Rubbish! Drank here during the Prohibition? What everrr.

Comment

I did find it little funny, that he's not really trying to hide that he's immortal; always making comments/ giving clues to his age
        I thought that same thing while watching the premiere. >>>>>
        Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        He's taking advantage of the natural obliviousness of humanity. Doesn't matter what you tell folks, they'll only hear what they expect to hear. Aliens over London? Rubbish! Drank here during the Prohibition? What everrr.
        But then like you stated, he had come to the realization that people are some times oblivious to what there told and tend to ignore small details or comments that they hear on the suface, especially if they sound ridiculous. Plus, and I know we are just one episode in, I get the feeling that he doesn't care, almost like he wishes his secret was out of the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
          I thought that same thing while watching the premiere. >>>>>
          But then like you stated, he had come to the realization that people are some times oblivious to what there told and tend to ignore small details or comments that they hear on the suface, especially if they sound ridiculous. Plus, and I know we are just one episode in, I get the feeling that he doesn't care, almost like he wishes his secret was out of the bag.
          Yea true, I get an apathetic feeling coming from him. I'm not sure if it makes him that likeable or interesting?
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Yea true, I get an apathetic feeling coming from him. I'm not sure if it makes him that likable or interesting?
            Considering how long he's been alive, the apathy is understandable. I think he's probably been on cruise control for centuries. However, I also have a feeling that as the season progresses his... detachment will be put to the test. That should be interesting to watch.

Comment

His deteachment has already began to wither way. The way he treats Eva is definately different than the way he treats his other parteners.

(Going on his own accounts he was a mean SOB to them, not so much her.)

Comment

Just finished watching the pilot - not sure what I think yet. I'm kinda meh on it right now. There's some good aspects, but I'm not sure I can get around the problem I have with the basic premise of the show - that of this all being a quest for him to find his "true love." Guess I'm not enough of a romantic.
                - Life after Stargate -
                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                sigpic

Comment

Was an interesting development in ep two
                  Spoiler:
                  where we learn that Omar is his son.
                  Overall another solid ep. Like how he uses all the stuff from his past to help with crimes, but i guess you should know a thing or two if you're 400 years old...
                  Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I liked it. Knew the killer right off the bat, but then crime isn't the real mystery in this show. Interesting reveal, as Eddie said.
                    Spoiler:
                    Having children is a unique twist on the "cannot die" gimmick. Of course, most of the undying are vampires, so that could be a factor. I like it. Adds an interesting element to his relationship with Omar... and Omar's family. I also wondered if John's 40's secretary was another kid or if it was just a coincidence that he'd been married to her mother. Pretty big coincidence, though, especially in light of the over-all plot.

The show isn't perfect, but I like it. And now I wanna know if John ever met Jack Harkness. Man, I bet they'd have some stories to swap! LOL!

John: I've been run through with a sword.
                    Jack: Shot in the head.
                    John: Beaten.
                    Jack: Trampled by horses.
                    John: Poisoned.
                    Jack: Been there. Try Death by Stray Javelin.
                    John: Shrapnel from a mine.
                    Jack: Starvation.
                    John: Drowning.
                    Jack: Fell off a cliff.
                    John: That wasn't very smart. Plague.
                    Jack: It was a rough day. Had the life drained out of me by Abaddon.
                    John: I had a girlfriend like that once. Strangled.
                    Jack: Didn't we all? Shot by a Dalek.
                    John: Empire State Building, right? Hypothermia.
                    Jack: Suffocation. Space station's life support crapped out.
                    John: Oh, now you're just bragging.
                    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 07 March 2008, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Something I'm having a hard time understanding - why does John believe that
                      Spoiler:
                      this doctor lady is "the one?" There were dozens of women on the train platform that day, and she wasn't even the first one to get to him, so why does he think it's her? What did I miss here?
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Having children is a unique twist on the "cannot die" gimmick. Of course, most of the undying are vampires, so that could be a factor. I like it. Adds an interesting element to his relationship with Omar... and Omar's family. I also wondered if John's 40's secretary was another kid or if it was just a coincidence that he'd been married to her mother. Pretty big coincidence, though, especially in light of the over-all plot.
                        That's true - that part is unique. I'm just having a hard time buying into the search for "the one" I guess. I keep having this background track in my head from the Princess Bride - "love, twu love"......
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        sigpic

Comment

I just don't think about that aspect of it. It's hokey and a little nuts- I mean, if they were so determined about how You Only Get One True Love For All of Time then there'd be a whole lotta Ageless Indians running around looking for their twue loves. But I figure if I can watch a show where a guy travels through space and time in a little blue box that's bigger on the inside and another show where a guy can have the entire contents of the CIA's Ultra Big Database of Seekrits downloaded into his head to be accessed through random connective "flashes" then I can accept a show where some immortal dude is running around the world city of New York looking for Twue Wuv.

Comment

I'm just not enough of a romantic I guess. I see what you're saying, but it's not the implausibility that bothers me. It's more....ok, why do I care? Saving the world, stopping the bad guys...ok, I can care about that. Some guy finding his true love so they can grow old together? Not so much. Sorry, I'm weird that way.

We'll see how it goes. I'm wondering if there might not be a twist to all of this though - that this might not work exactly like he thinks it does. I'm hoping so.

And I also need to stop waiting for Methos to drop by and tell him to get over it already. LOL.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            sigpic

Comment

I liked it. Knew the killer right off the bat, but then crime isn't the real mystery in this show. Interesting reveal, as Eddie said.
                              I just finished watching the second episode and I think I am going to like New Amsterdam as well. A much better episode than the premiere with the new "reveals".
                              Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Spoiler:
                              Very well said, "unique" indeed. I wonder ...
                              Spoiler:
                              just how many kids he has out there?

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              John: I've been run through with a sword.
                              Jack: Shot in the head.
                              John: Beaten.
                              Jack: Trampled by horses.
                              John: Poisoned.
                              Jack: Been there. Try Death by Stray Javelin.
                              John: Shrapnel from a mine.
                              Jack: Starvation.
                              John: Drowning.
                              Jack: Fell off a cliff.
                              John: That wasn't very smart. Plague.
                              Jack: It was a rough day. Had the life drained out of me by Abaddon.
                              John: I had a girlfriend like that once. Strangled.
                              Jack: Didn't we all? Shot by a Dalek.
                              John: Empire State Building, right? Hypothermia.
                              Jack: Suffocation. Space station's life support crapped out.
                              John: Oh, now you're just bragging.
                              LOLOL brilliantly funny young lady.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                                I'm just not enough of a romantic I guess. I see what you're saying, but it's not the implausibility that bothers me. It's more....ok, why do I care? Saving the world, stopping the bad guys...ok, I can care about that. Some guy finding his true love so they can grow old together? Not so much. Sorry, I'm weird that way.
                                Oh, that. I'm used to ignoring sappy, shippy stuff, so that doesn't bother me either. I can enjoy the character without buying into (or being interested by) his quest. Although one thing kinda nagged from the pilot ep.

Spoiler:
                                When he woke up he was in the morgue. Is the morgue in a separate place from the hospital? And if so would his toe tag not list his place of origin? It just seems like he should have had an easier time narrowing down the location, although I suppose he didn't make the medical connection until ep 2.
                                I guess that's the downside of being in the audience- you already know details the characters don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X