Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the movie's out, the verdicts' are still coming in but sadly, JUMPER is going to be convicted of too much, too little and anything in-between.

I'm posting my review I wrote for NY Comic Con. Beware of slight spoilers, and that my review contrasts starkly with the ones I've read so far.

Review: JUMPER

Spoiler:
    Well, the screening of JUMPER turned out to be a Premiere, complete with ALL the cast stars in attendance! That made the actual starting time of 8 pm worth the waiting.

First, thumbs’ up. JUMPER is a fun action – adventure with just enough drama to keep you caring. What started as a typical high school angst scenario quickly swept us into a unique mystery. Director David Liman elevated his trademark cut ‘n’ fight/chase technique to a new level. Add the cool twist of teleporting and the action scenes take on an enhancing twist. Be warned that things happen literally in the blink of an eye, so pay attention!

Hayden Christensen plays his character with a disarming innocence that is abruptly kicked into maturity when spoilsport forces enter his life. Rachel Bilson as his childhood sweetheart, Millie, brings a missing meaning to David, who practically grew up on his own, without a care and wanting for nothing. Samuel L. Jackson plays the obsessed Roland, a Paladin (aka Jumper hunter) with semi-psychotic relish. His hair was quite spooky, too. So: Paladins, snarky fellow jumpers (Jamie Bell) and the world to play and die in – what a life.

Mixed with a little romance (with such adorable stars, of course there’s romance!), lots of bone crunching and ouchies galore and nifty special effects, JUMPER keeps you guessing. The globe-hopping scene changes were breathtaking. And the final action fight scene will, dare I say, blow you away. Some questions linger such as the on and off seismic aftermath of some teleporting and the genesis of the paladins crusade against jumpers but fear not. This is most likely the first of its kind; the possibilities of a sequel seem high. A fast paced movie worth the time.

Just sayin', some critics made justifiable calls on the movie's sketchy pre-story and Diana Lane being dropped in at the conclusion. That is when they weren't trying to be clever instead. I had expectations of maybe a throwdown with the two groups, but hey. I do know that during the last minutes of the climatic fight the theater was as quiet as a classroom after school; no one wanted to miss anything! I'd love them to develop this more; we'll see. My take and I'm sticking to it.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Saw it tonight (instead of SGA, heh). I enjoyed it. Pretty fast paced, great action scenes, fun cat and mouse chases. I've always found Hayden Christensen to be kinda wooden though - the only movie I really liked him in was Shattered Glass.

My major irk was that it was such a blatant setup for a sequel
      Spoiler:
      what with Roland and David's mom still out there and David's bud on the loose. No real details on why people are jumpers either. It's frustrating when a movie ends with more questions than answers.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
        Saw it tonight (instead of SGA, heh). I enjoyed it. Pretty fast paced, great action scenes, fun cat and mouse chases. I've always found Hayden Christensen to be kinda wooden though - the only movie I really liked him in was Shattered Glass.

Spoiler:
        what with Roland and David's mom still out there and David's bud on the loose. No real details on why people are jumpers either. It's frustrating when a movie ends with more questions than answers.

i think they were setting up for a sequel there

i love jamie bell and loved griffin in the book!! wish there was more about him
        I find his story more interesting then David's... so love the books! it was so cool finally seeing Griff's cave! gahh!
        i enjoyed it alot...its been a long time since i wanted to see a movie so badly

i enjoyed it
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

Spoiler:
          Agreed. Definitely meant to spark interest by ending the way they did. They intend to answer the questions in another movie, perhaps. But that shorts the current movie a bit.

What, you missed SGA? You missed a goodie if you like action scenes and cat 'n' mouse chases! IMHO, of course.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
          i think they were setting up for a sequel there
          i love jamie bell and loved griffin in the book!! wish there was more about him
          I find his story more interesting then David's... so love the books! it was so cool finally seeing Griff's cave! gahh!
          i enjoyed it alot...its been a long time since i wanted to see a movie so badly
          i enjoyed it
          I think if they develop another movie, Jamie's character would be a natural focus. He's the one with all the knowledge of "the war" and possibly with contacts. And yeah, his cave was cool, and I didn't read the book. Nice contrast to the way Griffin lived out of sight while David lived it up in hyper-style.

Just sayin', I didn't pay much attention to the promos until recently but it caught my attention. I had fun watching and hope they follow up with a well planned sequel.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
            Some questions linger such as the on and off seismic aftermath of some teleporting...
            I got the impression that when a Jumper is inexperienced or tries to teleport while distracted, the jump scar is more destructive. If they have time to concentrate, the wormhole is much more stable. During one of the fight scenes, Griffin used his jump scar to knock Roland on his ass, and David used it to throw Mike into a wall in anger.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

watched it last night and was pleasantly surprised

had heard bad reviews and such!!

but it was over as quick as it started and wasn't bored for a moment!

but i must say i thought Jamie Bell stole the show ... he was awesome!!! absolutely brilliant!!!

teehee!!
              sigpic
              SCORE!!
              The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                I got the impression that when a Jumper is inexperienced or tries to teleport while distracted, the jump scar is more destructive. If they have time to concentrate, the wormhole is much more stable. During one of the fight scenes, Griffin used his jump scar to knock Roland on his ass, and David used it to throw Mike into a wall in anger.
                Jump scar; ok, I get that image. And yeah, by the end of the film I kind of saw that inexperience or emotional extremes caused the little quakes. Thanks for confirming. Also it seems a jumper can "channel" (invoke) a scar like your example with Griffin, and David's ending gambit.
                Originally posted by aintright View Post

but it was over as quick as it started and wasn't bored for a moment!

but i must say i thought Jamie Bell stole the show ... he was awesome!!! absolutely brilliant!!!

teehee!!
                Reviews have been down-pin, but they were for lots of sci-fi movies, so I tend to judge seeing a movie on other criteria. And Jamie Bell was a dynamic presence. That's why I'm sure if there's a sequel he'll have to be featured prominently.

Just sayin', the movie is worth seeing.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aintright View Post

That's why I never trust movie reviews anymore. They always give bad reviews to good movies. I also think it's funny how the movies that gets the best reviews and get all the awards, no one goes to see them.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am definetly going to go and see this film, from the trailer it looks like a really good film

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                      That's why I never trust movie reviews anymore. They always give bad reviews to good movies. I also think it's funny how the movies that gets the best reviews and get all the awards, no one goes to see them.

I really do think that movie critics sometimes are paid to poo poo certain films to promote ones that are not that good ... Or they give really good reviews to crap films to divert people from the good ones.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I definitely enjoyed this movie. I saw it earlier today, and was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't mind a sequel at all.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Just sayin', JUMPER was #1 on this weekend's tallies.
                          sigpic

Comment

I saw Jumper this weekend. It was a fun action/adventure, I thought. I liked it. I wish I had read the books though, I probably would've enjoyed it even more. But I plan to read them now.

I hope there is a sequal and it focuses on Griffin. He was an interesting, snarky character. Not that I disliked David, I just wish we had learned a bit more about Griffin.

Comment

Anyone got the names of the books? and the author? I've been looking for some good books to read, and went to see the movie. I liked it a lot. Wouldn't mind reading the books now.

Cheers
                              Aussie

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_86 View Post
                                Anyone got the names of the books? and the author? I've been looking for some good books to read, and went to see the movie. I liked it a lot. Wouldn't mind reading the books now.

Cheers
                                Aussie
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_%28novel%29

Comment

Working...
                                X