This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Ok got some ratings info for the 2nd episode "Pride" ....

SciFi’s “Flash Gordon” - SciFi looks like it has another loser on its hands. After the cheesy opening episode drew a respectable 2.1 million last week, nearly half the curiosity seekers left in a flash. The show only drew 1.14 million last Friday.

Source

So 1.14 million is about a HH rating of 0.8 to 1.0! That is clearly not great.
    With it a forgone conclusion this show will get the ax shortly, the only thing left to wonder is whether someone is going to take the responsibility for pre-ordering 20 episodes of a horrible show. If a pilot would have aired last spring, they would have known in advance this would either bomb, or they would have had time to completely re-work it. They do not need a big name cast, or great special effects for this to have been fun. What they needed though was competent production, directing, writing, and acting.

Cynical to say, but I highly doubt this channel has learned their lesson. Their history is basically giving us crappy low budget shows in hopes we have nothing better to do, or are just desperate for Science Fiction. This channel, like this show, is an insult to better senses. It is not as if there are no other channels, or even such things as DVDs, Tivo, etc..

Comment

They should have ordered 20 episodes for Eureka not for this crap. SG-1, BSG and Dreden Files were sacrificed for this and PKJ. Argh...
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by AnUbIs2004 View Post
        With it a forgone conclusion this show will get the ax shortly, the only thing left to wonder is whether someone is going to take the responsibility for pre-ordering 20 episodes of a horrible show. If a pilot would have aired last spring, they would have known in advance this would either bomb, or they would have had time to completely re-work it. They do not need a big name cast, or great special effects for this to have been fun. What they needed though was competent production, directing, writing, and acting.

Cynical to say, but I highly doubt this channel has learned their lesson. Their history is basically giving us crappy low budget shows in hopes we have nothing better to do, or are just desperate for Science Fiction. This channel, like this show, is an insult to better senses. It is not as if there are no other channels, or even such things as DVDs, Tivo, etc..
        I went back in and took some examples. As you know the rating unit changes, but it stays in the same ball park. If each 10th of a rating point is about 150,000 viewers. Flash only got a HH rating no better than a 0.8! these are the numbers that shows like Dr.Who and PKJ are getting. SGA averaged a 1.4 for season 4, and the finale got a 1.5! Again if SGA does not get to more seasons than just 4, it will be network suicide. Here are some examples to see how the ratings work...

SG-1 Series Finale 1.7 = 2.2 million viewers
        SGA season 4 Finale 1.5 = 2.0 million viewers
        Eureka Season 2 Premiere 1.9 = 2.5 million viewers
        Flash Gordon Premiere 1.5 = 2.1 million viewers
        Flash Gordon "Pride" ??? = 1.1 million viewers

So, is this good or bad for the fate of Atlantis?
        sigpic

Comment

I went back in and took some examples. As you know the rating unit changes, but it stays in the same ball park. If each 10th of a rating point is about 150,000 viewers. Flash only got a HH rating no better than a 0.8! these are the numbers that shows like Dr.Who and PKJ are getting. SGA averaged a 1.4 for season 4, and the finale got a 1.5! Again if SGA does not get to more seasons than just 4, it will be network suicide. Here are some examples to see how the ratings work...

SG-1 Series Finale 1.7 = 2.2 million viewers
          SGA season 4 Finale 1.5 = 2.0 million viewers
          Eureka Season 2 Premiere 1.9 = 2.5 million viewers
          Flash Gordon Premiere 1.5 = 2.1 million viewers
          Flash Gordon "Pride" ??? = 1.1 million viewers

So, is this good or bad for the fate of Atlantis?

I think it all depends. If someone (read that as the all important Neilsen people) watch Dr. Who, skips Flash, but turns back to watch Atlantis, that's good.

But if they just decide to watch Dr. Who and nothing else after that, that's bad. All we can do is wait and hope that this show doesn't hurt Atlantis.
          Or better yet, Flash makes a final exit.

ETA: Before Atlantis returns.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
            I think it all depends. If someone (read that as the all important Neilsen people) watch Dr. Who, skips Flash, but turns back to watch Atlantis, that's good.

But if they just decide to watch Dr. Who and nothing else after that, that's bad. All we can do is wait and hope that this show doesn't hurt Atlantis.
            Or better yet, Flash makes a final exit.

ETA: Before Atlantis returns.
            I don't think that will happen sadly. Sci-fi has ordered the entire season, so they basically paid for it. The same thing went for PKJ. If Flash remains this bad it will follow the same fate as PKJ and will not return for a 2nd season. They most likely will not cancel a show in the middle and not air the remaining eps.

Also, Stargate never had a lead in before, so I don't think we need Flash. Most of the SG-1 fans will be watching SGa anyway, so no loss but in fact a plus there.

We have to see what the network plans to do. A lot of stuff has been cancelled, ending next year, and not doing so well.
            sigpic

Comment

I went back in and took some examples. As you know the rating unit changes, but it stays in the same ball park. If each 10th of a rating point is about 150,000 viewers.
              The thing is, the number of viewers per rating point changes every year, as the SciFi Channel gains increase in the number of subscribed viewers.

Right now, the SciFi Channel has a subscribed viewer base of 89 million.

Source

Back when the sixth season of SG1 moved to the SciFI Channel, they only had a subscribed viewer base of 78 million.

Source

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Well i actually liked the 3rd ep
                Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                  That's what I intend to do - watch Doctor Who, skip Trash Gordon (new Dog Whisperer eppys are at 9:00, I think) and flip back to SGA. However, if all the changes in SGA don't work for me, I may give up on that as well.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                    Well i actually liked the 3rd ep
                    I finally got to see the whole thing, and yeah, didn't think it was too bad. But it shouldn't take three whole episodes to finally find one that doesn't totally suck. Sadly, this show may have already done itself in with most people. Me though, I'll give it another chance this Friday.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think its pretty silly to judge a show after only 3 eps. Even great shows like Stargate took a while to get started/good...
                      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I think its pretty silly to judge a show after only 3 eps. Even great shows like Stargate took a while to get started/good...
                        I don't know. The first episode of SG-1 was pretty darn good if you ask me. It really started the show off on a high note IMO. Flash's premiere didn't do the same.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          I don't know. The first episode of SG-1 was pretty darn good if you ask me. It really started the show off on a high note IMO. Flash's premiere didn't do the same.
                          Yeah the first SG1 ep was good, but the first season or 2 took a while to get going, and had quite a few average eps...

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Yeah the first SG1 ep was good, but the first season or 2 took a while to get going, and had quite a few average eps...
                            True, but a lot of people have already been turned off by this show. The first episode didn't keep a lot of people interested, and the second ep didn't fare much better. IMO, it will be hard to lure some of them back to give this show another try. To make it through it's first season, I see this show having a very tough, up-hill battle to fight.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I agree, but a pilot needs to be decent enough to keep viewers. SG-1, SGA, Eureka, Dresden Files, BSG, and Farscape all had good pilots. Pilots are not supposed to be the best ep of a series. But still, they have to be good enough to attract attention and keep attention,but when the amount of viewers goes from 2.1 million to 1.1 million viewers, there is something not right. Heck SGA's Pilot ep to it's 2nd ep lost only about 20 to 25% of the viewers, same thing went for Eureka's Pilot. That is average. 50% is below average and not a good sign.

Also Eureka and SGA started with 4 million plus viewers. Flash had only half of that, and are already at half of that, lol. SGA finished it's 3rd season finale with about 2 million viewers. Eureka's 2nd season started with 2.5million.
                              sigpic

Comment

Like I said, definitely an up-hill battle lies ahead for this show to succeed at all.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X