This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelmah
    one of the best sites for most mythologies is Encyclopedia Mythica www.pantheon.com
    wrong link, its .org and not .com

www.pantheon.org

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
      wrong link, its .org and not .com

www.pantheon.org
      OOPS! So sorry. I'll try to fix it pronto.
      YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

Just Trying To Resurect My Thread In The Hopes Of A New Post
        anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

ill help you ressurect it. i love mythology, i especially like the idea of atlantis, though the only two sources of info on it are the timaeus and critias. unlike other mythology though, it might not be myth

Comment

Greek, Roman and Egyption (Stargate Helped)!!

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
              i love mythology, i especially like the idea of atlantis, though the only two sources of info on it are the timaeus and critias. unlike other mythology though, it might not be myth
              I've read a bit about Atlantis. There's a theory that it may actually have been a volcanic island in the Mediterranean that did a Mt. Saint Helens in Biblical times. The legends say something about the city burning, and the ash is postulated to have caused the "plague of darkness" in Egypt. As an added bonus for its plausibility, the explosion would have wiped out all trace of civilization on the island.

There is also a book called Egypt: Child of Atlantis by one Dr. John Gordon, a senior fellow of the Theosophical Society of England (just so you know his credentials are good). It theorizes that the Egyptian civilization may be an offshoot of sorts of the Atlantean culture. I have yet to read it, but it certainly looks interesting.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

i'm into primarily Egyptian mythos, and contrary to popular belief it has nothing to do with love for Daniel, this was long established hobby of mine before Stargate entered my life.... I'm also heavy on Greko/Romanis mythos.... practically tought my class, and teacher, all about greko/romanis mythos when i had to do a mythos unit for freshman world lit. (high school course)... the unit was to lead us into the Odessey.... suffice to say, i aced the unit.... i know a little on Norse, Celtic, and Native American mythos, and i'm heavy into Hindu mythos, only cause that's my heritage..... i've rarely followed Christian Mythos, but i do know enough that if a flaming bush starts talking to me, then i better listen

As for Atlantis, my dreams, which i learned to listen to over the years, suggest it is under the Island of Crete.... which makes perfect sense.... Atlantis was a Cross road between Egypt and Greece, Crete is trategically placed for this function.... Anlantis was destroyed when "the ground shook so violently, the Waters towered the flaming mountains, and Posidon's wrath was complete"... i checked the geological maps... Crete has an active volcano and isn't that far from a fault line... it is possible that there was an earthquake so severe, it caused the volcano to erupt and a tsunami to drench the island... if this happend at the same time, then the island would have been destroyed and reborn at the same time....
                I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                sigpic

Comment

Mythology is such a fascinating thing! i know egyptian and greek mythology and now i'm in the german and celtic. the myth of atlantis is really interesting! somebody knows the Tolkien's mythology? very fascinating too!

Comment

I also find Mythology fascinating i like Egyption the most then Norse i'm acually thinking of asking Darren to change my name to Freyr or Hela

http://www.wizardrealm.com/norse/gods.html is a good site for Norse
                    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
                      I also find Mythology fascinating i like Egyption the most then Norse i'm acually thinking of asking Darren to change my name to Freyr or Hela

http://www.wizardrealm.com/norse/gods.html is a good site for Norse
                      yeah my god is Loki, now i know why i love the bad guys! what are the myths that you found the most interesting, or fun? there is a very fun egyptian myth with a beer deluge and i like too the myth with Seth, above all the one that shows his links with Ra.

Comment

my goddesses are Ma'at, The seeker of Truth, Isis, The mother of all, and Hathor, She who Love as a Weapon.....

i'm one of those people who dig until i know the entire truth, i frown upon dishonesty and lies, though i have used them myself to protect the Justice and honour of others.... i have very strong maternal instincts, even toward strangers and enemies.... and most importantly, in my true nature, i find infatuation and love as tools to be used and exploited to their fullest extent.... Hathor is the original "Suductress of Death" and i, quite frankly, approve of her methods and use them myself to reign Justice....
                        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodthirsteve
                          yeah my god is Loki, now i know why i love the bad guys! what are the myths that you found the most interesting, or fun? there is a very fun egyptian myth with a beer deluge and i like too the myth with Seth, above all the one that shows his links with Ra.
                          Anubis and his links to Osiris I did a report on Anubis for Grade 11 World history that’s really when I got into the whole Egyptian deal but we didn't spend nearly enough time on it. And we spent WAY to much time on Origin of man like homo sapiens that was all rather boring

i also did a report on Lycurgus the Father of Sparta

The Roman stuff was interesting as well
                          Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                          sigpic

Comment

The stories of the rivalry between Horus and Seth are more than a little disturbing, and definitely not PG, but entertaining nonetheless. I also like the myth of Ra's daily round.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

oh, yes, Anubis! all the egyptian legends are very interesting! but it's sad because it's not exactly the true name that we learn. i tried to learn hieroglyph (it's too hard, damned) and the names they had before the greeks come in Egypt were quite different! anubis was Inepou, Osiris was Ousir, Isis was Iset, Nephtys was Nebethout, Thot was Djehuty... it's the same for the pharaos' names. too hard but very interesting! yeah, i think that i will try again ^^ . the minoan's hieroglyph are not yet decipher for the future Champollion! may be it's in it that lies the secret of atlantis...

Comment

YAY! MY THREAD IS BACK!

Is it just me or does everyones teacher say "RE" as in ray instead of ra as in
                                raw? im a loki, but im also a tyr (war) sorda, isnt aries named after the greek god ares(war)?
                                anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

Working...
                                X