Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    I've been watching a marathon of the movies, and what has really struck me thinking back to the books, is how badly miscast the character of Ginny was. Bonnie Wright just doesn't look, act or even sound the way Ginny should, and beyond having ginger hair and decent acting ability, I really can't fathom why she was cast. Ginny is supposed to be beaufitul, funny, strong and assertive, while Bonnie's portrayal of her is pretty dull and subdued, and she's fairly plain looking too. I think her performance is probably even more disappointing than Gambon's.

Another things is the dialogue, particularly for Harry. I know a lot of people think Radcliffe can't act, but I've seen him in a couple of things now and he really can. Whoever wrote the screenplays, especially later on just seemed to write for him as if he were book-Harry, bizarrely littering his lines with Americanisms, which makes his delivery of those lines sound awkward and forced, and they don't roll off the tongue of someone with his accent. It happens more and more in British TV, I think it's perhaps because British writers are exposed to so much American TV and movies, as that's where most of the top-end stuff is made. It's a shame.
    I agree with you...I was surprised when I found out (early on) that there were two versions of the Harry Potter books in English. The British English version and the American English version. I was sortta upset at this. I've been trying to track down a British English version of the books...but I've not had much luck in tracking them down.

I also agree about Ginny, while I grew to love Bonnie...I always saw her as a little drab and gray. To me, she just seemed emotionless at times. Of course that's IMHO...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      I agree with you...I was surprised when I found out (early on) that there were two versions of the Harry Potter books in English. The British English version and the American English version. I was sortta upset at this. I've been trying to track down a British English version of the books...but I've not had much luck in tracking them down.

I also agree about Ginny, while I grew to love Bonnie...I always saw her as a little drab and gray. To me, she just seemed emotionless at times. Of course that's IMHO...
      Weird, I didnt even know there was a American version. All English Harry Potter Books I ever had where the British version. Understanding Hagrid with written British is near to impossible.
      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
        Weird, I didnt even know there was a American version. All English Harry Potter Books I ever had where the British version. Understanding Hagrid with written British is near to impossible.
        Are you sure? The books that are sold in the US and published by Scholastic are the American versions, and are edited for an American audience. The differences aren't huge, so you could have the American version without even knowing it. If the title of the first book you have is Sorcerer's Stone instead of Philosopher's Stone for example, then you have the American version.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          Are you sure? The books that are sold in the US and published by Scholastic are the American versions, and are edited for an American audience. The differences aren't huge, so you could have the American version without even knowing it. If the title of the first book you have is Sorcerer's Stone instead of Philosopher's Stone for example, then you have the American version.
          I assume that in the American version some of the fancy british words are replaced, but I had a hard time understanding alot of my Books and as said, Hagrid was really impossible to understand. So if those where American versions then I really dont want to read the British ones.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
            I assume that in the American version some of the fancy british words are replaced, but I had a hard time understanding alot of my Books and as said, Hagrid was really impossible to understand. So if those where American versions then I really dont want to read the British ones.
            IMHO...the American English version weren't difficult to understand.
            sigpic

Comment

Anyone else on Pottermore?

Finding its tendency to crash rather annoying....

Ravenclaw ftw
              The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
              The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
              Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
              Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
              Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Cronus View Post
                Anyone else on Pottermore?

Finding its tendency to crash rather annoying....

Ravenclaw ftw
                When I tried earlier...I couldn't get in. This is when it was first opened. Has it opened to the general public yet?
                sigpic

Comment

It opens start of Oct I think - just in Beta still for the 1mil who got early access.

It's good...but buggy as heck. Half the time it's down for maintenance, the duels have been down since I got access, and there is blatant cheating to get extra house points (ie: you get 5 points for a successful potion, and 1 point for a failed one - but a successful one takes 80-100mins to complete (you have to leave it to brew), and you can only do one potion at a time. A failed one however lets you restart another one....meaning you can fail hundreds of times in that time and get way more points....although apparently people are getting banned for exploiting it! lol)

The story isn't as interactive as I thought it'd be either....its not bad, but you need to be able to do more. Hopefully when it comes out proper, it'll be better
                  The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                  Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato

Comment

It opens start of Oct I think - just in Beta still for the 1mil who got early access.

It's good...but buggy as heck. Half the time it's down for maintenance, the duels have been down since I got access, and there is blatant cheating to get extra house points (ie: you get 5 points for a successful potion, and 1 point for a failed one - but a successful one takes 80-100mins to complete (you have to leave it to brew), and you can only do one potion at a time. A failed one however lets you restart another one....meaning you can fail hundreds of times in that time and get way more points....although apparently people are getting banned for exploiting it! lol)

The story isn't as interactive as I thought it'd be either....its not bad, but you need to be able to do more. Hopefully when it comes out proper, it'll be better
                    Interesting...how are the graphics?
                    sigpic

Comment

They're quite good, ie:
                      pottermore_4.jpg

But its not as interactive as I thought it would be - ie: you can only zoom a few times on each moment, rather than walk through the scenery - so its entirely 2D

Comment

They're quite good, ie:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]31893[/ATTACH]

But its not as interactive as I thought it would be - ie: you can only zoom a few times on each moment, rather than walk through the scenery - so its entirely 2D
                        Well, I guess its better than nothing.
                        sigpic

Comment

January Birthday Reminders

We would like to extend a very Happy Birthday wish to the actors, actresses, and characters.

January birthdays:

1st - Verne Troyer - Griphook (SS/PS)
                          4th - Jim Norton - Mr. Mason
                          5th - David Ryall - Elphias Doge
                          8th - Freddie Stroma - Cormac McLaggen
                          9th - Imelda Staunton - Dolores Umbridge
                          9th - Professor Severus Snape
                          22nd - John Hurt - Mr. Ollivander
                          24th - Terrence Bayler - The Bloody Baron
                          27th - Richard Bremmer - Lord Voldemort (SS/PS)
                          28th - Lee Ingleby - Stan Shunpike
                          30th - Lily Potter
                          30th - Tony Maudsley - Grawp
                          sigpic

Comment

Plans for Harry Potter at Universal Studios Florida revealed
                            Written by Robert Niles
                            Published: December 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM
                            For our final post of 2011, I leave you with a little holiday present: The plans for the new Harry Potter land in Universal Studios Florida.

A source was kind enough to allow me a look at the plans - and they do appear spectacular. Before I get into the details, though, let me clarify a few points.

First, these are labeled "Concept," and dated last month (November 2011). There's no sign that these plans have been revised, or approved by engineers, so I am assuming that they are initial concept plans. Even though they are quite detailed, they are far from final, and anyone who's been involved in attraction development can tell you that much can change in the development process.

Read the full article at Themeparkinsider
                            sigpic

Comment

I do feel a little sad that there is no harry potter anymore, but at least there are other things to get into , like the hunger games
                              sigpic
                              May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
                                I do feel a little sad that there is no harry potter anymore, but at least there are other things to get into , like the hunger games
                                Have you checked out Pottermore? I they allowed people on the site, but I think once they got a certain number they closed it down so those people could beta test the site. From what I hear...it adds another layer to the world of Harry Potter.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X