No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead starting from 25 and going forwards to 1, I started with 1 in order to go back to 25, but I got bored at 11 because of the predictability of it and quit.

sigpic

Comment

Just tried to access the pottermore site...and I can't get on it.
      sigpic

Comment

Finally seeing this on Sunday!! Im so late... lol

Comment

Watched it, was pretty damn good, book translated better as a movie in my opinion.

Comment

I thought it was a good film, but the Hogwarts battle scenes could have been more epic i think, I was kinda dissappointed they didnt show Fred (or Georges), Remus and the other girls deaths, was kinda like one minute they were shown alive, then the next, they are dead.
            Ok, it is a childrens film, but I think it would have added to the emotion of the film...
            Glad Molly got to avenge her sons death, I chuckled at her comment.
            It seems they also went for a bit of a comedic side to the film, certain parts were made lighter by the addition of a small comical line, like when Minerva McGonagall cast the spell to bring the statues to life.
            Overall I think the film was quite good, but some parts could have been made bigger, especially the battle scenes.

Comment

^Yeah, I was kinda disappointed they didn't show some of the secondary characters, I really liked Tonks, Fred, and George. Would have been nice to see them in the last film.

Comment

I'm wondering if some of those scenes will be in the 'expanded specially for blu ray' version???
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  I'm wondering if some of those scenes will be in the 'expanded specially for blu ray' version???
                  Doubtful

The movie ending was Far, FAR removed from the book ending. In Fact the whole tenor of the ending changed in the movie as far as I'm concerned. I understand WHY it got done, but really, I think it "robbed" a certain amount of "gravity" to the book ending.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Doubtful

The movie ending was Far, FAR removed from the book ending. In Fact the whole tenor of the ending changed in the movie as far as I'm concerned. I understand WHY it got done, but really, I think it "robbed" a certain amount of "gravity" to the book ending.
                    That's why you have to watch the movies as independent entities that are based on the novels.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      That's why you have to watch the movies as independent entities that are based on the novels.
                      Oh yes Lt Carter, I agree with you 100%, they are totally seperate entities. The ending of DHpt2 worked for a movie, all I'm saying is it would not have worked for the books.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Saw this one today. And totaly LOVED it. Though was was in tears at times.
                        MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                        MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                        POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                        CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                        GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                        VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                        FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                          I thought it was a good film, but the Hogwarts battle scenes could have been more epic i think, I was kinda dissappointed they didnt show Fred (or Georges), Remus and the other girls deaths, was kinda like one minute they were shown alive, then the next, they are dead.
                          Ok, it is a childrens film, but I think it would have added to the emotion of the film...
                          Glad Molly got to avenge her sons death, I chuckled at her comment.
                          It seems they also went for a bit of a comedic side to the film, certain parts were made lighter by the addition of a small comical line, like when Minerva McGonagall cast the spell to bring the statues to life.
                          Overall I think the film was quite good, but some parts could have been made bigger, especially the battle scenes.
                          I liked the battle scenes but after seeing the movie twice and having some time to ponder some of the specifics, I do agree with you that the battle scenes could've been bigger. Like you, I was hoping to see how Lupin and the others met their end as the book basically glossed over that in the overall narrative. I understand wanting to focus on the big 3 characters but with the story line split into 2 movies, I would've thought they would've been able to spare a few seconds on some the secondaries. Lupin and Tonks were among my favorite secondaries and they received virtually no screen time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                            Ahhh...oklie doklie. I didn't know if they dubbed the movies in other countries or if they added subtitles.
                            It always depends. In some countrys it is a tradition to Dub everything like Germany, Italy, France, Spain. For me the Dubs usually take away alot. I love funny movies and even in Serious movies, some wordplays simply dont work in another language and then they screw it up in the translation. Also I really looked quite weirded out when hearing the Original English Accent in Harry Potter for the first time. It just took a time to get used to, but it helped me to learn proper English.

I just wanted to say that I am glad it is over. Dont get me wrong, I love Harry Potter and it was a big part of my Childhood, but no Series of Movies has stayed true to its spirit so long as Harry Potter. Usually they loose sight of the Basics by the third movie and after that it is just overdone effects and no story.

I know that it certainly wont be the end for the Franchise, but I really hope J. K. is going to stay at her decision to stop the Harry Potter Saga. Harrys time is over, certainly after the Epilogue of the Book and there is nothing wrong about that.
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I predict that much like Star Wars, the Harry Potter franchise will continue for years. But just in-case that doesn't happen, time to get it now!!
                              Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                              Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

I've been watching a marathon of the movies, and what has really struck me thinking back to the books, is how badly miscast the character of Ginny was. Bonnie Wright just doesn't look, act or even sound the way Ginny should, and beyond having ginger hair and decent acting ability, I really can't fathom why she was cast. Ginny is supposed to be beaufitul, funny, strong and assertive, while Bonnie's portrayal of her is pretty dull and subdued, and she's fairly plain looking too. I think her performance is probably even more disappointing than Gambon's.

Another things is the dialogue, particularly for Harry. I know a lot of people think Radcliffe can't act, but I've seen him in a couple of things now and he really can. Whoever wrote the screenplays, especially later on just seemed to write for him as if he were book-Harry, bizarrely littering his lines with Americanisms, which makes his delivery of those lines sound awkward and forced, and they don't roll off the tongue of someone with his accent. It happens more and more in British TV, I think it's perhaps because British writers are exposed to so much American TV and movies, as that's where most of the top-end stuff is made. It's a shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X