Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Actually I swear with CPD that there was not one scene that they left along from the book, EVERYTHING was changed. Its like they stuck the title on their own movie . It is the golden standard of how not to do a book adaptation...though by itself it is not half bad, Wilhelm Dafoe, Harrison Ford as Ryan
    My Dad read GOF in two sittings....only because someone took him for a walk
    And I feel your frustration, but I chose to give the film producers...more often then not.... the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of ways to make a bad movie....(HBP doing one or two of them) but if you get a 600 + Page behemouth what the heck are you supposed to do? Are you supposed to try and cram everything in and destroy your movie? No. And I know you pointed this out yourself, but if they cannot make a terrific film adaptation that we can all go and say "This was wonderful, it was just like the book!" Then the least they can do is to give us a good movie...which they have managed for the most part. IN fact, IMO, I find it remarkable that they have been able to stay true to the books at all, and that we have not ended up with a clear and present danger because of the length.
    I think that part of the success that the HP movies has had is due to the fact that JK Rowling gives approval to the screenplays before they shoot...

of course then that makes me a little more confused, because she OK'd the
    Spoiler:
    Burrow fire scene
    and I dont' understand why she would've . . . *shrug*
    My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
      I think that part of the success that the HP movies has had is due to the fact that JK Rowling gives approval to the screenplays before they shoot...

Spoiler:
      Burrow fire scene
      Yes...IDK why she would approve that.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
        That was my point exactly. They added weird stuff to the movie...and left out important things...

For example....
        Spoiler:
        The HBP never establishes the fact that Tom Riddle coveted unique things such as hufflepuff's cup. Having Ginny go hide HBP's potions book for Harry means he doesn't know where it is and doesn't give us the first look at Ravenclaw's diadum that was set up in the HBP novel.

No offense, Col. Foley, but I don't see how putting either of those things could translate badly in a movie.

I hope, since Deathly Hallows is a 2 part movie, that they don't leave important stuff out of there. Honestly, when I walked out of watching HBP...I felt like there wasn't a conclusion to the movie. Its something that hasn't happened to me in a HP movie. It just felt like something was missing from the ending. I guess since I know about...
        Spoiler:
        Dumbledor's funeral, Harry saying he had to return to Privet Dr., and the announcement of Bill & Fleur's wedding...that's why I feel something was missing.
        Oh yeah, those things were quite big, at least the first part is, the second part was not so much. I do wonder from how they did a lot of this movie when they actually wrote the screenplay, which is something I thought of while I was first watching this and after, because of all the stuff that was set up for DH. And I do not think the book itself really ended either...there was a sense of 'continuation' to build up to DH.

Spoiler:
        Burrow fire scene
        She probably did not want to argue, and the producers probably gaveher good reasonings.

Comment

Oh yeah, those things were quite big, at least the first part is, the second part was not so much. I do wonder from how they did a lot of this movie when they actually wrote the screenplay, which is something I thought of while I was first watching this and after, because of all the stuff that was set up for DH. And I do not think the book itself really ended either...there was a sense of 'continuation' to build up to DH.

She probably did not want to argue, and the producers probably gaveher good reasonings.
          I dunno....if they were my books, I'd put up an awfully good fight...but then again, that's me....
          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
          sigpic

Comment

I dunno....if they were my books, I'd put up an awfully good fight...but then again, that's me....
            As would I
            sigpic

Comment

I have an account on another site, and I participate in a forum full of Harry Potter fans there too...and I just got the coolest sig for there.....I'm so excited! ( my fave good guy is Tonks and my fave bad guy is Bellatrix....)

*click*
              Spoiler:
              sigpic

Comment

I have an account on another site, and I participate in a forum full of Harry Potter fans there too...and I just got the coolest sig for there.....I'm so excited! ( my fave good guy is Tonks and my fave bad guy is Bellatrix....)

*click*
                Spoiler:
                Very cool sig!
                sigpic

Comment

thanks....I was all excited and wanted to share it with someone I knew would appreciate it! (I'm also overtired and feel a bit like a kid on Christmas morning! )
                  sigpic

Comment

As would I
                    I think I know their reasoning behind it...they probably had a good reason for it. Though like I said, I do wonder when the script for this was written or not.

Comment

I think I know their reasoning behind it...they probably had a good reason for it. Though like I said, I do wonder when the script for this was written or not.
                      I know that my sister saw something about it, or JK Rowling's reaction and reasoning for it, on mugglenet . . .
                      sigpic

Comment

I know that my sister saw something about it, or JK Rowling's reaction and reasoning for it, on mugglenet . . .
                        I don't see it, at least not on the main page.

Comment

I don't see it, at least not on the main page.
                          I'll ask her tomorrow where she found it and let you know.....
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll ask her tomorrow where she found it and let you know.....
                            Yeah...if you can find this...let me know...I'd like to see it too!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah...if you can find this...let me know...I'd like to see it too!
                              It was an article, she saw it a week or two before the release...it may have been with the movie clip....you may have to do a search for it....
                              sigpic

Comment

It was an article, she saw it a week or two before the release...it may have been with the movie clip....you may have to do a search for it....
                                Ahhh...oklie doklie. I'll see if I can go over to muggle net today to search for it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X