X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why if it is so hot, do they not give it a better budget
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Because the BBC is government funded. It's not a case of "giving something a bigger budget" the BBC have got an overall budget that they have to use to fund all eight channels and all the programs on those channels, which includes making programs and buying them from the US. Doctor Who has one of the larger budgets of most TV series.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Why don't they privitise the system like it is here

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
          Why don't they privitise the system like it is here
          Imagine a channel of wonderful information, original programs, great quality, with NO ADVERTS.

Then you have BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBCNews, CBBC, Cbeebies, BBCi. Arguably the television network that is the best in the United Kingdom, and even though they're funded by the government, they have no issues with saying things about the government that the government get unhappy with. The BBC rules.

There are other channels, ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Channel 4, Channel 5, UKTVGold and so on, those are all private. But they have adverts, and the quality of TV is generally lower, mostly talk shows and rubbish. With lots of american imports.

Why don't the BBC go private? Because it's fantastic the way it is. I'd rather have 13 eps of kickass Doctor Who, than 40 poorly written eps.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
            Imagine a channel of wonderful information, original programs, great quality, with NO ADVERTS.

Then you have BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBCNews, CBBC, Cbeebies, BBCi. Arguably the television network that is the best in the United Kingdom, and even though they're funded by the government, they have no issues with saying things about the government that the government get unhappy with. The BBC rules.

Why don't the BBC go private? Because it's fantastic the way it is. I'd rather have 13 eps of kickass Doctor Who, than 40 poorly written eps.
            OMG! NO! The BBC is one of the last (better) government owned/taxpayer sponsored TV/Radio Corporations around. It also has a charter that basically means they have to included programming that the other commercial channels wouldn't touch. No Rupert Murdoch might own most of everything else in the UK but The BBC needs to stay as is. Besides why would anyone think privatisation would garner better programmes? In Australia we have The ABC (pretty much the same with even less money) we don't have licence fees but taxes do fund it. Oh and they both provide educational programmes as well, I guess that is also part of the charter?

I agree it is better to have 13 great episodes then 24/6 mediocre ones...or 10 great and 14/16 rubbish ones. I love that some of my fave shows only have half a dozen episodes, because in the main they are all quality, no filler...filler makes up 60% of US TV IMO.

It is also true to say a lot of people in the industry just wouldn't get a start without The BBC, a lot of people got their breaks with The BBC because they would take a risk where the commercial stations wouldn't, it is sadly changing but it is still important to have that proving ground for new talent if you ask me.

Comment

I like no comercial, but I don't like goverment control

Comment

I thought I explained that it's NOT government controlled, merely government funded. Frankly the BBC beats the hell out of all other British TV networks and a fair few US ones I bet. The BBC boasts quality programming and the best news coverage in the UK, they really don't bend to the governments wishes.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Ok. Better stated I don't like Gov funding

Comment

Why? It means that they HAVE to give us good quality programming. Why dislike it if it's one of the best channels around. When I was in the US, most of the channels struck me as being shopping channels with the occasional bit of a tv program in between.... There are few US tv channels (and UK ones) that could hold anything on the BBC. (With the exception of movie channels and the sci fi channel)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Gov funding mean they can take over..................................
                      I not saying they will It just a possibility, but we are getting into politics... Let talk Doctor.

I wonder how the Cybermen are going to be used.

Comment

Ok. Better stated I don't like Gov funding
                        It's not just Gov funded, we the public pay out licensing fees as well. The upshot is that the Beeb have a responsibilty to make varied, decent, quality programming...not the crap that you get on alot of commercial channels. I love the BBC, love 'em to bits for bringing back DW. If this had been left to a commercial channel I very much doubt we'd have seen it again as it probably would've been viewed as 'outdated' and not worth it.

Comment

Gov funding mean they can take over..................................
                          I not saying they will It just a possibility, but we are getting into politics... Let talk Doctor.

I wonder how the Cybermen are going to be used.
                          No, they CAN'T take over. This isn't the US. It's the UK. The BBC frequently is critical of the governement and acts in ways that don't please the government.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                            No, they CAN'T take over. This isn't the US. It's the UK. The BBC frequently is critical of the governement and acts in ways that don't please the government.
                            Yep, my fave BBC programme is Question Time. The Politicians get a great grilling.

Gov funding does NOT = Gov control.

Comment

I guess I spoke in ignorance

Comment

Nah, it is a bizarre set up. Thing is that it's a bit like a national institution, and some of us get a bit 'protective' of it. It's not without it's faults, but without the Beeb I honestly think we'd miss out on so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X