Clear All

^ 'Like
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      ^ 'Like
      Ditto.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        ^ 'Like
        Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        Ditto.
        I'm glad. I don't know about you guys, but I really needed to see some postive news after that whole Johnny Depp rubbish. Speaking of which...surprise, surprise -

BBC denies 'Who' movie reports

Friday, July 2 2010, 11:07 BST
        By Morgan Jeffery

The BBC has denied reports that a big-budget Hollywood film version of Doctor Who is being developed.

Rumours previously surfaced online that a movie adaptation of the show was being written by former showrunner Russell T. Davies, with Johnny Depp linked to the role of the Doctor.

However, according to io9, the BBC has now confirmed that there are "no plans" for a film and that reports to the contrary were "pure speculation".

The movie news came amid rumours that Matt Smith, current star of the television version, is to be dropped from the show.

Doctor Who will return to BBC One for a special episode this Christmas.

Link to original article here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/...e-reports.html

And thus ends another boring episode of the "internet rumour and wild imagination mill" working overtime.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Relieved.
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Is there a couple of guys sitting in an office somewhere going "Right, let's make up some total lies that'll have all the Doctor Who fans frothing at the mouth."
            Yup, that just about describes it best.

Comment

Honestly, who makes up this rubbish?

Is there a couple of guys sitting in an office somewhere going "Right, let's make up some total lies that'll have all the Doctor Who fans frothing at the mouth."
              You just described a editor meeting at the Sun production building.
              Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                You just described a editor meeting at the Sun production building.
                And the Daily Mail, and probably the Star . . .

Hell, all of those New Right papers.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Here's an excellent article from Den of Geek about the ratings controversy.

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/..._straight.html

Doctor Who ratings: putting things straight

by Stephen Bray

Spoiler:
                  Like me, I'm guessing many of you have seen some of the articles recently that have been telling us what a failure Matt Smith has been as Doctor Who and how the ratings have suffered hugely under him.

I include an extract from one such report below:

"Just 5.1 million people tuned in on Saturday night to watch Matt Smith complete his first outing as the Doctor – compared to the 9.4 million who watched David Tennant battle the daleks in the final episode of the last series.

It comes after average overnight figures for the whole series peaked at 6 million – 1.2 million less than the average for David Tennant’s Doctor of 7.2 million."

It could be from anywhere, really. Not just the tabloids either, even the 'serious' press have been seemingly sticking the boot in.

So what needs putting straight?

Well, the facts are that Matt Smith's confirmed audience figures only go up to The Lodger so far - BARB has yet to give final figures for the last two episodes. Thus, by taking the first eleven stories, we see that they have an average viewing figure of a rather respectable 7.8 million. The season as a whole had an audience appreciation figure of 86.2%, and an average chart position of 12.

Impressive stuff, surely?

Well yes, indeed. Ignoring Tennant's last few specials, his last complete series scored an average of 8 million (or 7.7 million if, like Smith, we remove the last two episodes). There was an average appreciation figure of 88.1 and an average chart position of 10 (or, again, 12 if we discount the last two stories).

So it would seem that Matt Smith has actually increased the number of people watching Doctor Who (by a small amount, admittedly).

However, looking further, Smith's 7.8 million for his first eleven episodes actually beats both Tennant's first (7.7m) and second (7.5m) seasons in their entirety (and that includes season finales). Smith's average also runs Eccleston's Season to within 0.2 million of its average figure.

So there we have it - season 'five' - the second most successful season (so far) since the return of Doctor Who. And it drew higher ratings than any comparable comparison with the David Tennant era.

Of course, the figures for the final two episodes might well change things, but we won't know until they're confirmed, will we? Until then, hats off to Matt Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                    Here's an excellent article from Den of Geek about the ratings controversy.

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/..._straight.html

Doctor Who ratings: putting things straight

by Stephen Bray

Spoiler:
                    Like me, I'm guessing many of you have seen some of the articles recently that have been telling us what a failure Matt Smith has been as Doctor Who and how the ratings have suffered hugely under him.

I include an extract from one such report below:

"Just 5.1 million people tuned in on Saturday night to watch Matt Smith complete his first outing as the Doctor – compared to the 9.4 million who watched David Tennant battle the daleks in the final episode of the last series.

It comes after average overnight figures for the whole series peaked at 6 million – 1.2 million less than the average for David Tennant’s Doctor of 7.2 million."

It could be from anywhere, really. Not just the tabloids either, even the 'serious' press have been seemingly sticking the boot in.

So what needs putting straight?

Well, the facts are that Matt Smith's confirmed audience figures only go up to The Lodger so far - BARB has yet to give final figures for the last two episodes. Thus, by taking the first eleven stories, we see that they have an average viewing figure of a rather respectable 7.8 million. The season as a whole had an audience appreciation figure of 86.2%, and an average chart position of 12.

Impressive stuff, surely?

Well yes, indeed. Ignoring Tennant's last few specials, his last complete series scored an average of 8 million (or 7.7 million if, like Smith, we remove the last two episodes). There was an average appreciation figure of 88.1 and an average chart position of 10 (or, again, 12 if we discount the last two stories).

So it would seem that Matt Smith has actually increased the number of people watching Doctor Who (by a small amount, admittedly).

However, looking further, Smith's 7.8 million for his first eleven episodes actually beats both Tennant's first (7.7m) and second (7.5m) seasons in their entirety (and that includes season finales). Smith's average also runs Eccleston's Season to within 0.2 million of its average figure.

So there we have it - season 'five' - the second most successful season (so far) since the return of Doctor Who. And it drew higher ratings than any comparable comparison with the David Tennant era.

Of course, the figures for the final two episodes might well change things, but we won't know until they're confirmed, will we? Until then, hats off to Matt Smith
                    Marvellous article! Thanks for sharing it with us, Blencathra! Fezzes off to Matt!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Cheers.

I think you will like this one from ATV as well.

http://www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/toda...ctor-who-story

ATV Blog: Daily Mail ‘Sexed Up’ Doctor Who story

Written by Doug Lambert

Spoiler:
                      Readers of the Daily Mail might have been interested to read the paper’s story on how ratings for the latest series of Doctor Who, starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, have dropped by 1.2 million since it’s launch and the paper blames the “sexing up” of the series for the ratings drop – however, as ever, the story isn’t entirely accurate.

It was relaunched amid great fanfare, with a young Doctor Who and his sexy assistant. But hopes that the pair would continue the revitalisation of the old format have been exterminated as 1.2 million viewers deserted the latest series. The BBC expected Matt Smith, 27, as the Time Lord and Karen Gillan, 22, as Amy Pond to give the show a further boost after the previous success of David Tennant in the title role. But the latest series, which ended at the weekend, managed an average of six million viewers, according to latest TV ratings. – Daily Mail

The paper has published several articles over the course of the recent series about it “being sexed up” from Amy Pond’s kissogram costume in the opening episode, The Eleventh Hour, to the scene where Amy attempted to seduce the Doctor at the end of Flesh and Stone. The paper criticised both scenes and claimed the corporation was deliberately “sexing up” the series in a bid to boost ratings so it obviously took great delight in laying the blame of the low ratings firmly at the floor of the “sexing up”.

The truth however, is far more boring. Saturday’s finale, The Big Bang, did indeed rate lower than the season opener way back in Easter. However, Saturday was a very hot day with viewers opting to enjoy the sunshine rather than stay inside and watch television. The episode was also on at the earlier time of 6.05pm when, again, most of the audience are outside enjoying the weather. More importantly though viewers are opting to record episodes to watch later, watch the repeats on BBC Three or download episodes via the BBC iPlayer service. The Eleventh Hour has been downloaded over TWO MILLION times since Easter making it one of the most requested programmers on the iplayer service while episodes such as Vampires in Venice and The Hungry Earth are also highly requested by viewers using the service.

So Daily Mail it seems that technological changes are allowing viewers more flexibility as to when they wish to view the episode. The same technological changes that are seeing circulation figures for newspapers fall as readers opt to go online to catch up with news stories rather than pay for the “privilege” of buying a papers like the Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                        Cheers.

I think you will like this one from ATV as well.

http://www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/toda...ctor-who-story

ATV Blog: Daily Mail ‘Sexed Up’ Doctor Who story

Written by Doug Lambert

Spoiler:
                        Readers of the Daily Mail might have been interested to read the paper’s story on how ratings for the latest series of Doctor Who, starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, have dropped by 1.2 million since it’s launch and the paper blames the “sexing up” of the series for the ratings drop – however, as ever, the story isn’t entirely accurate.

It was relaunched amid great fanfare, with a young Doctor Who and his sexy assistant. But hopes that the pair would continue the revitalisation of the old format have been exterminated as 1.2 million viewers deserted the latest series. The BBC expected Matt Smith, 27, as the Time Lord and Karen Gillan, 22, as Amy Pond to give the show a further boost after the previous success of David Tennant in the title role. But the latest series, which ended at the weekend, managed an average of six million viewers, according to latest TV ratings. – Daily Mail

The paper has published several articles over the course of the recent series about it “being sexed up” from Amy Pond’s kissogram costume in the opening episode, The Eleventh Hour, to the scene where Amy attempted to seduce the Doctor at the end of Flesh and Stone. The paper criticised both scenes and claimed the corporation was deliberately “sexing up” the series in a bid to boost ratings so it obviously took great delight in laying the blame of the low ratings firmly at the floor of the “sexing up”.

The truth however, is far more boring. Saturday’s finale, The Big Bang, did indeed rate lower than the season opener way back in Easter. However, Saturday was a very hot day with viewers opting to enjoy the sunshine rather than stay inside and watch television. The episode was also on at the earlier time of 6.05pm when, again, most of the audience are outside enjoying the weather. More importantly though viewers are opting to record episodes to watch later, watch the repeats on BBC Three or download episodes via the BBC iPlayer service. The Eleventh Hour has been downloaded over TWO MILLION times since Easter making it one of the most requested programmers on the iplayer service while episodes such as Vampires in Venice and The Hungry Earth are also highly requested by viewers using the service.

So Daily Mail it seems that technological changes are allowing viewers more flexibility as to when they wish to view the episode. The same technological changes that are seeing circulation figures for newspapers fall as readers opt to go online to catch up with news stories rather than pay for the “privilege” of buying a papers like the Mail.
                        Brilliant! Thanks again! The Big Cheeses at the BBC have said they're aware of Doctor Who's importance and they don't care what way people watch just as long as people watch. This show ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Comment

from the matt smith fan page on facebook

Final figures for the final episode of the recent series of Doctor Who, The Big Bang, are partially available from BARB with the BBC One showing getting 6.12 million viewers

Comment

lots of nice wallpaper from 'vincent and the doctor' http://pics.livejournal.com/rosiemoon/gallery/00028h16

Comment

It's been confirmed that the BAFTA-winning Sir Michael Gambon and Welsh star Katherine Jenkins are playing major roles in the 2010 Doctor Who Christmas Special.

The adventure will star Matt Smith as the Doctor, alongside Karen Gillan as Amy and Arthur Darvill as Rory. They'll be joined by, amongst others, Michael Gambon, one of the industry's most respected actors who has starred in TV classics such as The Singing Detective and Longitude as well as Academy Award-winning films including Gosford Park and Sleepy Hollow. Recently he has become popular with a new generation, right across the world as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies.

Katherine Jenkins also stars in the special. She's currently best known as a mezzo-soprano and is one of the world's most successful classical singers. 'I'm over the moon to be involved in the Doctor Who Christmas Special!' Katherine said. 'I can't quite believe it as it's a part of the family tradition at the Jenkins household. I heard the news that I got the role on my 30th birthday and it was the best birthday present ever!'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...Stars_Revealed

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                                It's been confirmed that the BAFTA-winning Sir Michael Gambon and Welsh star Katherine Jenkins are playing major roles in the 2010 Doctor Who Christmas Special.

The adventure will star Matt Smith as the Doctor, alongside Karen Gillan as Amy and Arthur Darvill as Rory. They'll be joined by, amongst others, Michael Gambon, one of the industry's most respected actors who has starred in TV classics such as The Singing Detective and Longitude as well as Academy Award-winning films including Gosford Park and Sleepy Hollow. Recently he has become popular with a new generation, right across the world as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies.

Katherine Jenkins also stars in the special. She's currently best known as a mezzo-soprano and is one of the world's most successful classical singers. 'I'm over the moon to be involved in the Doctor Who Christmas Special!' Katherine said. 'I can't quite believe it as it's a part of the family tradition at the Jenkins household. I heard the news that I got the role on my 30th birthday and it was the best birthday present ever!'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...Stars_Revealed
                                Michael Gambon?! Sweeto!

Comment

Working...
                                X