Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood News, Articles, Cast and Crew Interviews (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind it honestly, but Starz? I don't have Starz gosh dangit! At least it isn't Fox.

Comment

Davies: It's International, But Wales Is At Heart Of 'Torchwood'

Series will be bigger and better, but the characters remain at its core
      By ALAN STANLEY BLAIR
      Jun-10-2010

Fans waiting with bated breath to hear if BBC would move its science-fiction series for adults, "Torchwood," to the United States for an Americanized edition were slightly disappointed when it was revealed the series would not make the trans-Atlantic jump.

Fortunately, there is some better news as BBC Cymru Wales have revealed that a fourth season of the series has been commissioned and will take the show's central characters further afield than ever before … but Wales will still be at the heart of the story.

"It's a bit soon to give away too much about the story, but we will be shooting in Wales and there will still be Cardiff actions on your screens," series creator and showrunner Russell T. Davies said. "But, the story now takes the team to America and to some other countries as well. It's still going to be very good and very personal stories. Sometimes you describe this international stuff and it sounds like a 1960s series called 'The Jet Set' or something. It's going to really good, strong human stories at the heart of this never mind the travel. It's still about people really."

Both John Barrowman and Eve Myles have signed on to return for a 10-episode season of the "Doctor Who" spinoff, and the season will be produced in conjunction with BBC Worldwide (responsible for BBC America) and also American premium cable channel, Starz Entertainment. And, thanks to the joint development of the series, Davies has high hopes of attracting talent from both sides of the pond.

"Barrowman will be back, bless him, and we're all very excited," he said. "And hopefully some more U.K. signings to come as well, and a few American cast as well. That is part of the fun of the script as well, which is the culture clash. It's not just going to be, well ... you know how sometimes Americans crop up in dramas for no reason. This going to be the Americans puzzling at the Welsh, the Welsh not knowing what's going on in America ... there is a lot of fun with that. It is a big story and it's going to be lively."

News that the series will return for a 10-part season also will please fans who were left slightly disappointed when the series dispelled its usual 13-episode format for a five-part miniseries last year. However, "Children of Earth" –- which ran over five consecutive days as a television event -– was a ratings success for the BBC and brought in an audience in excess of 6 million.

In addition, "Torchwood" also has attracted BBC America's best audience when more than a half-million viewers tuned in to see Capt. Jack Harkness in 2007 (nearly 300,000 of which were from the key audience demographic of adults 25 to 54). And it is that success that has attracted Starz to the series.

"I think science-fiction stuff is very popular, fantasy stuff is popular, and I think we're very lucky in casting it well -- there is just such an appetite for the story," Davies said. "It's a funny show in a way, it has been designed for the digital age. It's a bit of a weapon in the way it keeps moving channel. The fact now is that it is a production of BBC Worldwide Productions, they are actually the makers of this, and that is the first drama that BBC Worldwide Productions has ever made.

"Again, this is a new way forward, it's a way of making dramas, it's a new way of funding drama, to be in association with Starz. So, as a title, it's a sort of generic science-fiction title that acts as this digital weapon to go into new channels like BBC One, to go five nights a week on BBC One like nothing had ever done before. It's like it just suits the age really to have a flexible, dynamic show that can take new shapes and this is the newest shape yet so it's exciting."

Original article here: http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/7516

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Torchwood star can’t wait to start new series

Jul 4 2010 by Rachel Mainwaring, Wales On Sunday

TORCHWOOD star Eve Myles has revealed how she is nervously preparing to move her family across the Atlantic.

The 31-year-old will be starring in the American version of the hit sci-fi show and will be jetting off at the end of the year with partner Brad and baby daughter Matilda.

And she’s even got her beloved dog Honeysuckle a passport – so she can go too.

Eve, who gave birth to Matilda last November, is looking forward to the big move, after it was announced that Torchwood would be moving Stateside for a new series to be aired in 2011.

The Ystradgynlais actress, who now lives in Cardiff, said: “I’ve been enjoying some really lovely times with Matilda.

“She’s seven months old and is just adorable. She is sleeping right through the night and she is just fantastic. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Since she came along I’ve woken up every day with a smile on my face. She is just so lovely and pleasant, she is always laughing and I’ve been relishing every minute.

“Nothing I’ve ever done before comes close to how it feels to have Matilda. She is so beautiful, a carbon copy of her daddy with the same turquoise eyes. But I’m pleased to say it looks as if she’s got my famous gap, so that’s good news.”

And now Eve is preparing for an even busier few months.

She said: “Things are starting to pick up again work-wise. I’m about to sign for a BBC Wales TV remake of The Fabulous Baker Boys and I’ve got another film in Bulgaria and then we start shooting the new Torchwood in January.

“Matilda and Brad are coming with me but I couldn’t possibly not take Honey too as we are going to be there for seven-and-a-half months.

“So it’s all sorted. She’s got a new passport and we are raring to go.”

But Eve, who plays feisty Gwen Cooper in the show, admits she’s very nervous about upping sticks, even though she will be starring alongside her good friend John Barrowman.

She said: “To be honest, I am quite nervous and apprehensive but then I still get nervous every time I start a new job and then as soon as I’ve filmed the first day I calm down a bit.

“We’re not sure yet whether we are going to be living in Los Angeles or Canada but Torchwood is already very popular in America and I had no idea exactly how big it was until I was in Washington DC and I saw myself on the back of a bus. Weird. It’s got an absolutely massive fan base, it’s been the number one sci-fi show for the past three years out there.

“I haven’t managed to see John much but we get on so well that as soon as we start working it will be like we’ve been together for weeks.”

Eve has been with fellow actor Bradley Freegard for several years and, despite wearing an eternity ring on her wedding finger, she said she had not married Brad yet – but promises she will do one day in the future.

She said: “I was pictured with the ring on my wedding finger but it’s not a wedding ring. It’s the eternity ring Brad bought for my 30th birthday.

“I will marry him one day. It’s something we’ve talked about but, at the moment, we’re too busy. Maybe we’ll wait until there are a few Myles-Freegards running around the place.”

Link to original article: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz...1466-26780199/
        Last edited by Alan; 04 July 2010, 12:08 PM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Here's the link to the site were the article posted above is found.
          http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz...1466-26780199/
          sigpic

Comment

Tovey has 'no idea' about 'Torchwood'
            Thursday, July 29 2010, 10:08am EDT
            By Morgan Jeffery

Russell Tovey has admitted that he has "no idea" if he will be joining the cast of Torchwood.

Speaking at the Being Human panel at Comic-Con, the actor responded to speculation that he would continue his Doctor Who role of Midshipman Frame in the spinoff.

"[I have] no idea. Genuinely no idea." he told fans. "There's been lots of rumors. I did that scene [in The End of Time] and I never really thought anything of it."

Tovey's brief appearance in David Tennant's final Who story saw him encounter Torchwood lead Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) in an alien bar.

"To be honest, I've never really watched Torchwood," he revealed. "But since [that scene] I've been bombarded with messages asking 'Are you gonna be Jack's lover?'. I genuinely don't know."

Tovey also explained that he was "proud" that the SyFy network were remaking Being Human for the US.

Link to original article here: http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/s8/to...torchwood.html

Comment

Torchwood Season 4 - Writers announced

Russell T Davies has firmed up the writing staff for the fourth season of "Torchwood," which debuts in the summer of 2011 on Starz.

Davies, who created the "Doctor Who" spinoff, will of course write several episodes of the 10-part series, but other writers for Season 4 include John Shiban ("Breaking Bad," "Supernatural," "The X-Files"), Doris Egan ("House," "Tru Calling," "Dark Angel'), Jane Espenson ("Game of Thrones," "Battlestar Galactica," "Buffy") and John Fay (a U.K. "Torchwood" writer).

The writers are currently hard at work on the new season of the show, which tells an international story and feature the kind of serialized, overarching story line featured in "Torchwood: Children of Earth," the miniseries that put the cult sci-fi series on the map when BBC America aired it in 2009.

Read more: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/08/tor...#ixzz0vqWAGJNP

Comment

Shiban? Very interesting!

Espenson....not so much.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh jesus, American writers. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    Its bad.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Shiban? Very interesting!

Espenson....not so much.
                      Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Its bad.
                      I imagine the rest will all be written by Russell T. Davis. The consolation is that Russell is also showrunner. Torchwood is *his* and the series 4 storyline is his so everyone else will be writing with the guidelines he's set down. Also Russell has a habit of tweaking everyone's finished scripts. Apparently he did tweaks with everyone's scripts on Doctor Who except for Steven Moffat's.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        Its bad.
                        Hey John Shiban wrote a bunch of the best episodes of The X-Files. He's also been a writer and producer for The Lone Gunmen, Smallville, Legend of the Seeker, and Breaking Bad. Don't be lumping him in the same category as Espenson.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh no. More un-original ideas that they can run through. Also JE and JF are there to keep up with the gay factor (no offence, I'm bi). It seems that RTD has got his X-Files and Buffy type of show he always wanted with JS, But isn't he going against the grain with hiring him, since he has stated that SPN only had "pretty boys" to look at.
                          Last edited by LaCroix; 07 August 2010, 06:29 AM.

Comment

James Marsters wants 'Torchwood' return

James Marsters has revealed that he is keen to reprise his role as Captain John Hart in the new series of Torchwood.

A fourth series of the Doctor Who spinoff is currently in production as part of a deal between BBC Worldwide, BBC Wales and US network Starz.

The actor told io9: "Russell [T. Davies is] over here [in LA] trying to get an American version of it done. If he doesn't call me, I am going to find him."

He added: "I'm into it, just ask Russell."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/...od-return.html

Comment

Love me some Captain Hart. Awesome that James is so interested. Dude's totally awesome (Doing Caprica, Dresden Files audiobooks, juggling Buffy conventions...)
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Oh great. Another past actor want's to come back to the show. I really don't think when the time comes for contracs, something will change.

Comment

Working...
                                X