Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supernatural : General Discussion/Appreciation (Spoiler Tags req for S15)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naeara
    I believe it's going to be a 22 episode season.
    I hope it is! This would be a good thing!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
      I'm so hooked on this show it's ridiculous!

So the thing that's drawn me in the most is definitely the brotherly relationship. The banter between the two of them is just hysterically funny to me.

I know the show has been renewed for a full season, but does that mean full-time with 20-22 episodes or is it a BSG kind of a deal where they only get about 13 episodes for the first season?
      Glad to see I'm not the only one out there hooked on this show.

I didn't come with any preconceived notions about either actor in the show. I have never seen even one episode of Gilmore Girls so I fell in love with Jared Padalecki's character during the pilot. I've also never seen Dark Angel and I bailed on Smallville long before last season so I didn't know Jensen Ackles either. Now I have to say I love both characters equally.

It's definitely the brother thing for me too. They are completely believable as brothers, with the banter and the snark and the difficulty expressing some of the deeper stuff between the two, even though it's obviously there. I love the relationship aspect that I'm willing to overlook some other things about the show that are, ahem, not exactly all that great. (What was with that four-minute night in the "Bugs" episode anyway? Lame.)

Last night's episode is a good example. Yep, it was cheesy, even though the bugs still managed to squick me out. Spiders. Ugh. The special effects weren't the greatest and there were some gaping plot holes, but the backstory about Sam's troubled relationship with his father and Dean being caught between the two was fantastic. Poor Sam, all he ever wanted was to be normal. He never had a chance to experience it, while at least Dean had a few years with the Dad and Mom and house with the picket fence. Poor Dean, caught in the middle between the only two people in his life that he cares about.

Interesting that the stereotypical "good" child (studious, college-bound, responsible) is the black sheep of the family, while the so-called "rebel" (hustling in pool halls, cares little about education, etc.) is considered the Golden Boy.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Dean's resentment toward his brother and also more about his obvious devotion, almost hero-worship, of his father. I also love the over-protective big brother vibe I get from him toward Sam. I'm also wondering when/if Sam will give up his hopes for a normal life and accept that he's different, like his brother keeps telling him. What will it take for him to come to that realization, if he ever does?

Oh, as for the season. I'm pretty sure it's a full 22 episodes. Haven't heard differently anywhere.

Can't wait till next week. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Wednesday night, due to the WB not being a part of my local channels. Bummer.

Comment

One of the good things about this episode was that it finally answered my question as to how they were funding their little hunting expedition. (If it hadn't been answered this episode I was going to ask that question on this thread and see what you guys thought.)
        Andromeda Fate
        Something you need to ask yourself everyday, with every decision - WWMD "What Would McKay Do?"
        "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you" - Teal'c
        "Go suck a lemon!" - Carter
        "Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls." - Peter S. Beagle
        "I hope your apple pie is frickin' worth it!" - Supernatural

Comment

Originally posted by andromeda_fate
          One of the good things about this episode was that it finally answered my question as to how they were funding their little hunting expedition. (If it hadn't been answered this episode I was going to ask that question on this thread and see what you guys thought.)
          I think in the first ep it was also indicated they get by with CC Fraud.
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Dean Winchester, Male Gigolo.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Dean Winchester, Male Gigolo.
              Sign me up!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
                Sign me up!
                Ditto!

I havn't seen the first three or four episodes so there are still gaping holes in my knowledge of the show. I saw the commercials for the premiere and tuned in for the first episode but after seeing the mom burst into flames from the ceiling, I changed it because I thought it was going to be dumb. Then a few episodes later I caught the second half of the boy drowning lake one. It was pretty good and I've been watching ever since. Too bad that episode was the best one I've seen so far.

Anyways, here are some things I don't know. Why do they think that their dad is still alive? Where do they think he is? Why did he leave?

(More questions later when I think of them.)
                Andromeda Fate
                Something you need to ask yourself everyday, with every decision - WWMD "What Would McKay Do?"
                "Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls." - Peter S. Beagle

Comment

Anyways, here are some things I don't know. Why do they think that their dad is still alive? Where do they think he is? Why did he leave?
                  Well, as Dean told Sam when he showed up at his baby brother's place in the dead of night, Dad went on a "hunting trip" and didn't come back. There was no sign of him where he'd last been seen, but a few tantalizing clues (including his journal, which he'd NEVER leave behind) have sent them tearing off in search of Daddy. They don't know why he left (without completing his mission in the one place) and they don't know where he is... but they intend to find him and bring him home.

Comment

Allright, but how do they know he's not dead? Or are they just hoping he's not dead? Also, when I've seen recaps of previous episodes I hear Sam saying he wants to find his girlfriends killer. Does he mean an actual person or something supernatural? Because wasn't she stuck on the ceiling just like his mom?
                    Andromeda Fate

Comment

Originally posted by Naeara
                      I believe it's going to be a 22 episode season.
                      Thanks! Good to know I won't have to go into withdrawal due to the lack of new episodes just yet.

Originally posted by Jonisa
                      Glad to see I'm not the only one out there hooked on this show.

I didn't come with any preconceived notions about either actor in the show. I have never seen even one episode of Gilmore Girls so I fell in love with Jared Padalecki's character during the pilot. I've also never seen Dark Angel and I bailed on Smallville long before last season so I didn't know Jensen Ackles either. Now I have to say I love both characters equally.
                      I'm still surprised at just how much I am loving Sam/Jared on this show when he annoyed me so much on Gilmore Girls. Very happily surprised. Never could get into Smallville at all. The little I saw of it I found the stories and a majority of the actors to be... well, not good. Not even Jensen could convince me to give it another try. And I agree with loving both characters equally now; I couldn't imagine the show without either one of them.

It's definitely the brother thing for me too. They are completely believable as brothers, with the banter and the snark and the difficulty expressing some of the deeper stuff between the two, even though it's obviously there. I love the relationship aspect that I'm willing to overlook some other things about the show that are, ahem, not exactly all that great. (What was with that four-minute night in the "Bugs" episode anyway? Lame.)
                      Ditto. Yes, Bugs really did have the shortest night in the history of nights, didn't it? But I agree, I'm willing to forgive a lot of the cliches and the inconsistencies between some of the scenes (Skin in particular comes to mind; a lot of "what the heck...?" moments for me in that one) for the relationship between the two brothers. Again with Skin - we got so much interesting stuff in the scenes with Not!Dean and with what he was telling Sam. So much was brought to the surface and even though Sam knows it wasn't his brother doing the talking I'm sure he wonders just how much of it was true and how much of it was maliciously twisted into lies.

Last night's episode is a good example. Yep, it was cheesy, even though the bugs still managed to squick me out. Spiders. Ugh. The special effects weren't the greatest and there were some gaping plot holes, but the backstory about Sam's troubled relationship with his father and Dean being caught between the two was fantastic.
                      Spiders do freak me out the most. Strange thing is, I had no problem watching Sam pick up the spider from the table. Maybe because Sam was acting so calm when he was handling the spider. Or maybe because I was keeping most of my focus on how nice his hands are. I also had to laugh at the incredibly fake spiders that Dean shook out of the towel. Did the prop person just run down to the local store to purchase the first plastic ones they could get their hands on?

Poor Sam, all he ever wanted was to be normal. He never had a chance to experience it, while at least Dean had a few years with the Dad and Mom and house with the picket fence. Poor Dean, caught in the middle between the only two people in his life that he cares about.
                      I'm not sure who I feel for the most. I'm leaning towards Dean, though, because it seems to me that he's been the most isolated of the two (hunting seems to be all he really knows and it's gotten to be such a big part of his identity by now) and as the big brother I'm sure he had to shoulder a lot of the responsibilities and of taking care of Sam when they were growing up.

Interesting that the stereotypical "good" child (studious, college-bound, responsible) is the black sheep of the family, while the so-called "rebel" (hustling in pool halls, cares little about education, etc.) is considered the Golden Boy.
                      That was a nice little twist I thought. Or maybe not so much "twist" as... continuation of what we've already been told (now that I'm looking back), but still - it came as a bit of a surprise when it was revealed to us just because of how, as you say, it turns the stereotype on its head a bit.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Dean's resentment toward his brother and also more about his obvious devotion, almost hero-worship, of his father. I also love the over-protective big brother vibe I get from him toward Sam. I'm also wondering when/if Sam will give up his hopes for a normal life and accept that he's different, like his brother keeps telling him. What will it take for him to come to that realization, if he ever does?
                      The highlighted part is one of my absolute favorite aspects of the character as well. Spoilers/speculation for next week's Home:
                      Spoiler:
                      Watching the preview I get the feeling that something will happen to Sam when they go back to the house (one of the spirits seems to be dragging him across the floor?) and that's why Dean is so anxious to get ahold of their dad - even more so than up until now.

As for Sam... Good question! I'm not sure what it will take for him to let go off his wish for a normal life... It's going to be interesting to see how he will react once they find the demon that killed Jessica and their mom. I think as long as there are ties to this demon his focus is entirely on that and once that's been taken care of... Well, I can't wait to find out.

Oh, as for the season. I'm pretty sure it's a full 22 episodes. Haven't heard differently anywhere.

Can't wait till next week. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Wednesday night, due to the WB not being a part of my local channels. Bummer.
                      Wednesday for me too. But for different reasons. Seems like it's going to be a great episode and I'm very much looking forward to it.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Allright, but how do they know he's not dead? Or are they just hoping he's not dead? Also, when I've seen recaps of previous episodes I hear Sam saying he wants to find his girlfriends killer. Does he mean an actual person or something supernatural? Because wasn't she stuck on the ceiling just like his mom?
                        They find hints along the way that lead them to believe he's still alive. I know there was some cell phone message at some point. Or they were finally able to call and leave a message on his cell phone whereas before it never connected.

And the girlfriend was killed by a supernatural something and that's what Sam is hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                          Thanks!
                          I'm still surprised at just how much I am loving Sam/Jared on this show when he annoyed me so much on Gilmore Girls. Very happily surprised. Never could get into Smallville at all. The little I saw of it I found the stories and a majority of the actors to be... well, not good. Not even Jensen could convince me to give it another try. And I agree with loving both characters equally now; I couldn't imagine the show without either one of them.
                          I am loving both characters also. The characters have to have a good personality in order for me to think they're cute. When J.A. was on Smallville (and I was forced to watch it because my uncle still likes it even though I got bored two seasons ago,) I didn't think he was attractive at all. Now he's way cute to me. It's all about the characters personality.

Originally posted by Liv
                          I also had to laugh at the incredibly fake spiders that Dean shook out of the towel. Did the prop person just run down to the local store to purchase the first plastic ones they could get their hands on?
                          Me too! I couldn't help making fun of all the horrible special effects. The faky spiders coming out of the shower head. But the plastic halloween spiders were the worst.
                          Andromeda Fate

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                            Interesting that for me Sam is the one I was first drawn to, the one I "preferred" of the two when I watched the pilot. He just seemed so sweet, and sincere, and I felt so sorry for the character, being the focal point of two tragedies like that. I liked Dean, but he seemed to me the stereotypical cocky rah-rah shoot-em-up guy. I didn't see a lot of depth there initially. I sure can't say that anymore. I love 'em both, screwed up as they both are.

Originally posted by Liv
                            I'm willing to forgive a lot of the cliches and the inconsistencies between some of the scenes (Skin in particular comes to mind; a lot of "what the heck...?" moments for me in that one) for the relationship between the two brothers. Again with Skin - we got so much interesting stuff in the scenes with Not!Dean and with what he was telling Sam. So much was brought to the surface and even though Sam knows it wasn't his brother doing the talking I'm sure he wonders just how much of it was true and how much of it was maliciously twisted into lies.
                            Yeah, I had a lot of "Wait a minute, didn't he just...?" and "Now how on earth did she...?" moments in Skin too. It honestly took me out of the story a couple of times because some moments were so jarring. The episode was redeemed though, as you indicated, by those unbelievable Not!Dean and Sam scenes. Good stuff.

Originally posted by Liv
                            Spiders do freak me out the most. Strange thing is, I had no problem watching Sam pick up the spider from the table. Maybe because Sam was acting so calm when he was handling the spider. Or maybe because I was keeping most of my focus on how nice his hands are.
                            I didn't have a problem with Sam and the spider either. But I'm telling you, if I'd have been that chick in the shower and a spider that size had fallen on my face, that little bugger would have been in spider heaven extremely quickly thereafter. I would never have let that thing crawl off, hiding somewhere else in my house. *shudder*

Originally posted by Liv
                            I'm not sure who I feel for the most. I'm leaning towards Dean, though, because it seems to me that he's been the most isolated of the two (hunting seems to be all he really knows and it's gotten to be such a big part of his identity by now) and as the big brother I'm sure he had to shoulder a lot of the responsibilities and of taking care of Sam when they were growing up.
                            I go back and forth. Dean had an enormous burden, as I don't think Dad was the father of the year and I get the feeling from their relationship that Dean took on that role for Sam. I feel sorry for little Dean growing up, never really getting much of a chance to be a child, never letting himself get close to anyone but his father and brother. His feelings are hidden away so deeply. Watching Bugs you would think he never wanted a normal life even for a moment, but Skin gives a completely different impression. I'm hoping we learn a lot more about Dean next week. My heart just broke for him in that preview.

Sam though. Awww. He does angst so well. He manages to make me feel sorry for him without coming across as whining, and I don't think he's come to terms with the fact that he's been the common denominator between two horrific events that took away women he loved. Also, what's with the visions he had of Jessica before she died? Is there more to that story? I don't know what's worse, knowing a parent and then losing her or never having the chance to get to know her so you're always wondering what she's like. I feel sorry for little Sammy too, watching the world around him living a life that everyone takes for granted, and knowing that he isn't allowed to have it. Never being able to truly understand his father and brother's vendetta, because he doesn't share their memory. He obviously loves his father and his brother, despite their disagreements. I'm guessing leaving was incredibly difficult for him, even if he didn't let it show.

And I love overprotective Dean too! It fits into what they've set up as the boys' upbringing perfectly.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has to wait a day to see it, no matter what the reason. It'll be difficult staying away from the boards on Tuesday evening, but I don't want to get too spoiled about next week. It looks too good.
                            Last edited by Jonisa; 12 November 2005, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I am loving both characters also. The characters have to have a good personality in order for me to think they're cute. When J.A. was on Smallville (and I was forced to watch it because my uncle still likes it even though I got bored two seasons ago,) I didn't think he was attractive at all. Now he's way cute to me. It's all about the characters personality.
                              For me as well. So really, I shouldn't have been so surprised, but my feelings for GG-Dean and my feelings for Sam are pretty much like night and day. I think Sam is sweet and adorable and just all-around appealing to me because of who he is, whereas GG-Dean (FCOL, why did he have to be named Dean!) is... none of those things.

Interesting that for me Sam is the one I was first drawn to, the one I "preferred" of the two when I watched the pilot. He just seemed so sweet, and sincere, and I felt so sorry for the character, being the focal point of two tragedies like that. I liked Dean, but he seemed to me the stereotypical cocky rah-rah shoot-em-up guy. I didn't see a lot of depth there initially. I sure can't say that anymore. I love 'em both, screwed up as they both are.
                              Well, he was still tainted by his previous role... I have since seen the light. I wholeheartedly agree about Dean. Had he been just another one of those cocky I-couldn't-care-less guys then my interest would have faded real fast. The pretty isn't enough for me. Not even the Jensen pretty. But he really is a wonderful character and I'm so curious to find out even more about his backstory.

I didn't have a problem with Sam and the spider either. But I'm telling you, if I'd have been that chick in the shower and a spider that size had fallen on my face, that little bugger would have been in spider heaven extremely quickly thereafter. I would never have let that thing crawl off, hiding somewhere else in my house. *shudder*
                              Amen to that! Had a spider crawled around on my face - well, my screams would have been heard around the world, for one - but I also would have made sure it was deader than dead before being able to do anything else.

I’m pretty sure I would have flailed around a great deal as well.

I go back and forth. Dean had an enormous burden, as I don't think Dad was the father of the year and I get the feeling from their relationship that Dean took on that role for Sam. I feel sorry for little Dean growing up, never really getting much of a chance to be a child, never letting himself get close to anyone but his father and brother. His feelings are hidden away so deeply. Watching Bugs you would think he never wanted a normal life even for a moment, but Skin gives a completely different impression. I'm hoping we learn a lot more about Dean next week. My heart just broke for him in that preview.
                              That tiny little scene in the preview made my heart skip a little bit. I’m a big fan of getting to see the emotional side in characters like Dean - who don’t really allow us access to their vulnerable side all too often - and I feel like there’s great potential for just that with this episode. There’s so much going on beneath the surface with him and it’s intriguing to me.

Sam though. Awww. He does angst so well. He manages to make me feel sorry for him without coming across as whining,
                              I very much agree. Sam is an extremely symphatetic character, I think.

He also has a very pretty smile.

and I don't think he's come to terms with the fact that he's been the common denominator between two horrific events that took away women he loved. Also, what's with the visions he had of Jessica before she died? Is there more to that story? I don't know what's worse, knowing a parent and then losing her or never having the chance to get to know her so you're always wondering what she's like. I feel sorry for little Sammy too, watching the world around him living a life that everyone takes for granted, and knowing that he isn't allowed to have it. Never being able to truly understand his father and brother's vendetta, because he doesn't share their memory. He obviously loves his father and his brother, despite their disagreements. I'm guessing leaving was incredibly difficult for him, even if he didn't let it show.

And I love overprotective Dean too! It fits into what they've set up as the boys' upbringing perfectly.
                              I think there is more to it, yes. I’m still undecided on whether or not I think that’s a good thing. If it’s limited to Jessica’s death then I’ll be fine with it, but my main concern is that he will start having more and more visions which will somehow be able to aid them in their fight against evil and that it turns out that Sam was chosen for this all along. Then Dean will get an ability of his own (I’ve read theories about him possibly being an empath, but that's just sheer speculation at this point) and presto! -- they’ll truly be the “Supernatural duo”. Eh. I would be... less than thrilled with that. I love the fact that they are doing this unusal line of work but that - apart from knowing how to fight - they don’t have any kind of “special” powers and I would really, really like TPTB to keep it that way. Then again it’s probably a bit too early to worry about it so I’ll try my best not to. I just want to enjoy the show for what it is right now.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has to wait a day to see it, no matter what the reason. It'll be difficult staying away from the boards on Tuesday evening, but I don't want to get too spoiled about next week. It looks too good.
                              I have a feeling it will become my new favorite episode.
                              Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                                Amen to that! Had a spider crawled around on my face - well, my screams would have been heard around the world, for one - but I also would have made sure it was deader than dead before being able to do anything else.
                                I’m pretty sure I would have flailed around a great deal as well.

Yes, there would have been substantial flailing and a variety of other embarrassing behaviors on my part as well. And shrieking. Definitely shrieking. And excessive checking of the sheets and blankets before I went to bed in case its brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, friends or parents may be lurking nearby.

Originally posted by Liv
                                That tiny little scene in the preview made my heart skip a little bit. I’m a big fan of getting to see the emotional side in characters like Dean - who don’t really allow us access to their vulnerable side all too often - and I feel like there’s great potential for just that with this episode. There’s so much going on beneath the surface with him and it’s intriguing to me.
                                Poor Dean. *sniffle* Can't wait to see that scene and what leads up to it. It's going to have to be something major for him to become that vulnerable, which makes me think it has something to do with Sam. I can't think of much else that would affect to the extent that he would let his emotions show that way. Or perhaps...perhaps something to do with his mother, considering where they are.

I read a comment on another forum where the poster mentioned how she sees Dean as incredibly lonely, and I thought that was a very astute observation. He only has two people in his world, a Dad who seems more than a little unstable and a brother who he obviously feels responsible for and loves unreservedly but who rejected the hunting lifestyle, and by extension Dean. I think he's a bundle of insecurities and fear underneath that exterior, and I love the way it slips out every once in awhile.

Originally posted by Liv
                                but my main concern is that he will start having more and more visions which will somehow be able to aid them in their fight against evil and that it turns out that Sam was chosen for this all along. Then Dean will get an ability of his own (I’ve read theories about him possibly being an empath, but that's just sheer speculation at this point) and presto! -- they’ll truly be the “Supernatural duo”. Eh. I would be... less than thrilled with that. I love the fact that they are doing this unusal line of work but that - apart from knowing how to fight - they don’t have any kind of “special” powers and I would really, really like TPTB to keep it that way. Then again it’s probably a bit too early to worry about it so I’ll try my best not to. I just want to enjoy the show for what it is right now.
                                I agree with this. A huge part of their appeal is that they're just these two guys who became what they are through their mother's death and their father's vendetta, and they're no more or less than that. I do hope that if they do give Sam some sort of general precognitive abilities, they'll find a way to make it believable and not too intrusive, but I hope they don't. We don't need a "special" brother, not either of them. They're already special in the way they were raised, the knowledge and abilities they have because of that upbringing, and their fantastically screwed up psyches.

My guess is, if the writers do go this way, they'll do it as a way to keep Sam hunting. Right now he's looking for his Dad to help revenge Jessica's death, but after he finds his Dad and/or comes to term with Jessica's death, will he continue?

This is speculation only, I'm avoiding spoilers, but if he does have some sort of psychic gift, or if this entity was after him for some reason, that's yet another indication of where his destiny lies--with his brother. He's been fighting it, mostly because he doesn't have the memories his Dad and brother do of his mother's death so he never really understood their devotion to hunting, but I'm more and more convinced that eventually he's going to have to accept that he's not going to have the picket fence life. Jessica's death was one indication. Some sort of precognitive ability might be another.

Having said this, I hope they don't go there. With either of them.
                                Last edited by Jonisa; 13 November 2005, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X