Star Trek X1 -Open Discussion for those who have seen the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
    Yet it ignited inside Nero's ship just fine.
    As I recall Spocks ship exploded as it impacted the Nerada. Heat and fire generated there was probably enough.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      I'm surprised no one has commented on Spock being able to witness the destruction of Vulcan from the ice planet. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a moon of Vulcan, so Spock shouldn't have been able to see Vulcan die.
      im guessing nero didnt want him interfering, so didnt want him so close to vulcan, there was probably a view screen set up in that cave

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
        im guessing nero didnt want him interfering, so didnt want him so close to vulcan, there was probably a view screen set up in that cave
        Uh, IIRC he was looking up into the sky, not at a viewscreen.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I went to see it again today with my Dad and sister, they both loved it

I still feel the opening sequence is superb, every single part of it

I think the red matter is ignited through heat mainly and is quite unstable anyway. Its contained in that large stasis tube and great care is taken to extract it

Comment

A view screen? Spock looks to the sky and sees Vulcan destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              You know I had a friend of mine knock on my door this morning. He had just seen the movie last night and had never seen star trek in his life but wanted me to lend him some star trek cos he wanted to see it was before. So I lent him the wrath of khan, the first disc of the first season of the original series (just for him to laugh at more than anything else) season 5 of TNG, 1 and 4 of DS9, 4 of Voyager and 1 of Enterprise. Just heard back from him and he said he's so far loving The wrath of khan.

I know it won't be the case for everyone or even most people in the mainstream who see this film, but it is eliminating that long held stigma about Trek; that it is just for sad, obsessive geeks with no lives.
              And that right there is, I suspect, what the majority of fans would wish for. A whole new generation going "Oh, so *this* is what the fuss was about...y'know what, I want more," and reviving the franchise once again.

[Also, it's interesting that you're a Trek omnivore with seasons from every series, but you enjoyed the movie.]

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post
                And that right there is, I suspect, what the majority of fans would wish for. A whole new generation going "Oh, so *this* is what the fuss was about...y'know what, I want more," and reviving the franchise once again.

[Also, it's interesting that you're a Trek omnivore with seasons from every series, but you enjoyed the movie.]
                I hope that comes true Though I do love this franchise, will probably always love this franchise. And you know a lot of people out there cannot stand Star Trek, oddly a lot of times it's the same people who love Star Wars. And while I like Star Wars as well...there's just something about Star Trek that gets you, maybe it's the philosophy of it, maybe it's that humanity had finally found a way to get off our little blue planet, maybe it's the fact that once we realized there's something more out there that we stopped being so self centered. Maybe it's that we finally looked to the stars and found hope.

And you know I hope with this movie that people come to realize that. This reboot thing...I'm starting to think it will be a good thing

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post

Why wouldn't I? Lol. I've been a trek fan since I was 3. It was in fact my first ever tv show that I can remember watching. (that was TNG by the way) In fact my earliest memory ever was playing with an old toy of the original enterprise while watching the opening credits of TNG when I relaised I had been playing with the ship upside down and began flying it right way up.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
                    Also doesn't the red matter react with normal/anti matter and creates wormholes? If thats the case, whats the deal with drilling to the centre of a planet to despatch the red matter.
                    I think that was just to make sure the planet was destroyed instead of just being sucked into the black hole.
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      Why wouldn't I? Lol. I've been a trek fan since I was 3. It was in fact my first ever tv show that I can remember watching. (that was TNG by the way) In fact my earliest memory ever was playing with an old toy of the original enterprise while watching the opening credits of TNG when I relaised I had been playing with the ship upside down and began flying it right way up.
                      See, that's just cute...

I'm a Trek omnivore myself. (We've complete DS9 and Voyager in the house, and I'm working on getting Enterprise...) But there's been some funny assumptions made about who would enjoy the new movie and who wouldn't, so I thought it was interesting to have someone talk about it who liked the whole of the existing franchise.

Comment

Overall, I loved the movie, especially what it seems to be doing for the Star Trek franchise. I'm also extremely grateful that Abrams and the writers are definitively stating that this is an alternate reality and that the Trek timeline of the last 43 years is intact, sans Romulus.

Which brings me to my biggest problem with the movie. There was no earthy way anyone should have NOT evacuated Romulus (& Remus) and Spock's plan would always have failed, and finally, ships cannot survive passages through blackholes.

They would have known about the impending nova years in advance. That kinda thing can be detected even today with conventional telescopes. Their plan involved creating a black hole that would have sucked up the nova. Still, Romulus (& Remus) would no longer have a sun (death for everyone there) and would be orbiting a black hole which would have sucked it up. Romulus (& Remus) would have been doomed from the get-go, which is why no one (Nero) should have been surprised to see it die, thus preventing vengeance crazed trek to end Trek.

Spock's plan would always have failed because black holes are remnants of novas (stars of the correct mass that go nova), formed at the very center of the nova. If a nova could be sucked up by a black hole, it would be sucked up by the very black hole created from its origin. Also, novas would not threaten more than a single solar system. They travel sub-c, and any world in danger would have years to evacuate (stars are lightyears apart). Also, even the energy of a nova would be dissipated over that much time and area (area of an expanding sphere).

Finally, any ship entering a black hole would emerge (if this is even possible) as a block of super-dense nuetronium smaller than my fist. The crew would instantly die from the radiation and gravitation effects.

Please don't infer that these flaws means I did not like the movie. I did enjoy it, but these things just kinda stuck in my mind.

Comment

As someone who has only watched a handful of episodes across the series and the 1 or two episodes i really like it. JJ abrams did a great job it was funny in the right moments just like sg1. Its has lts of action which is good but i was not sure on Simon Pegg's accent or having leonard nimoy have any sort of part. Also i did not think that the romulans look like what they did in the movie i guess i was wrong ohh and and having it in an alternate reailty was a good way of not having to worry about it makeing sense with events of the TV series.

A good 8.5 out of 10
                          sigpic
                          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                          Metal gear fan

Comment

Did anyone else think the Romulan ship looked a bit like a cross between a Vorlon ship and a Shadow ship?

Comment

Box Office Report: 'Star Trek' soars with $72.5 mil debut

J.J. Abrams' franchise reboot boldly went where no Star Trek movie has gone before, grossing a stellar $72.5 mil from Friday through Sunday, according to early estimates by Hollywood.com Box Office.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/05/borept-trek.html

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                                Box Office Report: 'Star Trek' soars with $72.5 mil debut

J.J. Abrams' franchise reboot boldly went where no Star Trek movie has gone before, grossing a stellar $72.5 mil from Friday through Sunday, according to early estimates by Hollywood.com Box Office.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/05/borept-trek.html
                                After today, it could get really close to the $100 million mark... it'll probably hit the mid 90s.
                                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                                X