Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone seem to dislike Enterprise????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
    Why?

With all of its faults, Enterprise was still better than a lot of the other junk on television and I like every bit of Trek. I just have varying degrees of "like".

Give me 50,000 dollars.. a bunch of crappy actors, and a junky old video camera.. and I WILL create the WORST show ever made,,, but if I'm allowed to use the name "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" in the title..... all the fanactics of the franchise... will find reasons defend how great it is

That being said I like the Star Trek franchise in general... especially the original and TNG...it just amazes me how people will flock to something because of a name

If they renamed the movie Starship Troopers to Star Trek Troopers and kept the movie exactly the same it would have made 10x the money... absolutely retarded when u think about it

edit:. nothing against you, espeically if u happen to really enjoy it. sorry if I peaved you off
    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Bytor,

What you are describing is true of ANY branding process. Once people accept a brand, they tend to be forgiving of flaws. This applies to nearly anything.

It's like belonging to a tribe or a political party and really "buying in.."

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
        Bytor,

What you are describing is true of ANY branding process. Once people accept a brand, they tend to be forgiving of flaws. This applies to nearly anything.

the dosen't make it any less stupid.
        BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
          Bytor,

And how, exactly, does that make said product any better?

A brown pile on the lawn is still going to smell bad, even if it's "chocolate coloured".
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            And how, exactly, does that make said product any better?
            Branding is a religious or grouping feature of the human psyche. We like what is familiar to us and so once we like something, we often make a sub conscious commitment to it, that makes us overlook flaws.

Of course it doesn't make it any better. It just makes decisions easier.

Comment

I for one, do not hate it.

Like all of the trek series their were some brilliant episodes and then some good episodes and some bad episodes.

The only thing that really annoy me about Enterprise was the introduction of the Photon torpedoes in series 3, their was just no need to bring them in.

Their was nothing major that really annoy me the Ferrengi thing can be solved by saying that the records were just lost and that no one in the federation remember them, and that ferrengi did not explore much out side of their own space.

As for viewers screens, that needed updating , I mean even now got that technology, and it will even be holographic based in the next twenty years.

And if I remember rightly did not kirk say the ship in the Romulan war were powered by Nuclear power, today it common knowledge that nuclear power simply does not provide enough energy for ftl.

What fans forget is that trek is over thirty years old, a minor adjustments to keep up to date with modern technology/ideas is perfectly acceptable to me.
              Last edited by knowles2; 28 April 2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                And if I remember rightly did not kirk say the ship in the Romulan war were powered by Nuclear power, today it common knowledge that nuclear power simply does not provide enough energy for ftl.
                Nothing provides enough energy for ftl, since ftl requires infinite energy. However, if we consider subspace to be real then it might not require infinite energy, in which case nuclear power might be sufficient.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  What fans forget is that trek is over thirty years old, a minor adjustments to keep up to date with modern technology/ideas is perfectly acceptable to me.
                  Only if you're (not you, Berman/Braga) stupid enough to try to make a prequel to a 40 year old show. TOS is classic, is the template, and most certainly should not be 'updated'.

And if you are going to be dumb enough to make a prequel, you pay attention to your source material--not ignore it because it's inconvienent, or because you don't feel like watching it (I'm looking at you, Braga).
                  Last edited by DigiFluid; 29 April 2008, 10:26 AM.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Only if you're (not you, Berman/Braga) stupid enough to try to make a prequel to a 40 year old show. TOS is classic, is the template, and most certainly should not be 'updated'.

And if you are going to be dumb enough to make a prequel, you pay attention to your source material--not ignore it because it's inconvienent, or because you don't feel like watching it (I'm looking at you, Braga).
                    That this is the mass belief of StarTrek fans almost universally is why i doubt there will ever be another startrek tv series again. Thankfully stargate has avoided this for the most part, although the fanatical fringe has been gradually creeping in the last 2-3 years.

Comment

There's always hope. Might take 2 decades, but, if the movies are successful, we'll see a return eventually.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

What the hell? I love Enterprise! It was the first Star Trek series I ever watched. However, someone should do all series mirror universe mode. Not only the two-parter in Enterprise, one in the Original Series and 8 in Deep Space Nine!
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I pretty much see all ST shows and Enterprise was not an exception.
                          I think it was pretty neat. I loved the Captain and Tucker. Phlox was an interesting character and the Xindi conflict was very interesting. The only real downside was that it got only 5 seasons.
                          sigpic

Comment

It was only 4 seasons, sadly.

Comment

I think Enterprise gets a lot of needless bagging. If it was a stand alone Trek I suspect it would have been seen very differently by those who opose it. Seasons 3 and 4 are probably the best trek TV I've seen IMO. I think it's a shame it didn't get the 7 seasons the others got.

Comment

Enterprise is awesome. I would not have said that more than a year ago. I would have been on the hate train. Except my roommate last year told me watch the fourth season. I did and it was awesome. I gave up mid-way through the second season. It just wasn't doing anything. After watching the thrid and the fourth I find that I wish it hadn't been canceled. If only what they did in the last two seasons had been there the whole time. I guess they lost too many viewers during the first two and couldn't get people back into it. Like me. Anyways, the fourth season did a great job with the multi-episode arcs.
                                Dr. Andrew Clarke

Aftermath GW RP

Comment

Working...
                                X