Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone seem to dislike Enterprise????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Well to everyone that brings up the canon issue there's a very simple explanation which accounts for everything...........Temporal Col War.
    That's a pretty lazy copout answer, IM(not so )HO
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      That's a pretty lazy copout answer, IM(not so )HO
      I think that's what they were going for though before the show got cancelled.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I was thinking about this the other day, after reading some of the Doctor Who backstory (there are so many different timelines going on there that it is crazy). Every time there is a time travel story in Trek it changes the timeline. And, just like Doctor Who, there are now so many alternate timelines happening that it makes my head spin trying to keep them all straight.

The one from First Contact is one of the bigger ones, but just look at what happened in TNG, VOY, TOS, and even on DS9. I'm curious how many episodes are still technically canon in the current timeline (even ignoring Enterprise). Not many I'd bet. Most of those things either never happened or happened in a different fashion due to the constant temporal meddling.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
          I was thinking about this the other day, after reading some of the Doctor Who backstory (there are so many different timelines going on there that it is crazy). Every time there is a time travel story in Trek it changes the timeline. And, just like Doctor Who, there are now so many alternate timelines happening that it makes my head spin trying to keep them all straight.

The one from First Contact is one of the bigger ones, but just look at what happened in TNG, VOY, TOS, and even on DS9. I'm curious how many episodes are still technically canon in the current timeline (even ignoring Enterprise). Not many I'd bet. Most of those things either never happened or happened in a different fashion due to the constant temporal meddling.
          It's enough to give anyone a headache.

Comment

Let's just assume that, despite all the temporal mucking around, there's an agency from the 1 millionth century that straightens everything out. So EVERYTHING we know and love was, is, and forever shall be canon.

Take the DS9 episode with the 'first' Emissary. The Prophets changed time by putting him back when he was first taken, and everything still happened the same way as before, except Kira got some reading material to comfort her during the resistance. I'm sure the small details change, but on the macro-level, everything's the same. Sure, 7 million people aren't a small detail, but perhaps they'd have died from a plague or something we don't know about anyway.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
              Let's just assume that, despite all the temporal mucking around, there's an agency from the 1 millionth century that straightens everything out. So EVERYTHING we know and love was, is, and forever shall be canon.
              That's a good point, and I actually do make that assumption. I assume that the "temporal cold war" is just a small, local part of a much larger war that likely spans all of time in the ST universe. After all, time travel is so easy in their reality that the temptation to make just a tiny alteration must be phenomenal (*cough*Janeway*cough*... and Seven... and Harry... and Chakotay... geez, was there anyone on that ship that didn't mess with the timeline? No wonder Braxton was so miffed. I would have been too!).

With all of those changes going on you'd think that the ripple effect from their actions in the past (or the future for that matter) would severely alter the timeline. Since this doesn't seem to be the case, it is only logical to assume that either, 1) Historical inertia keeps things going on a similar track, 2) There is some agency (or a series of different agencies) that is constantly making corrections, attempting to make sure that major events still unfurl in more or less the same way even if the individuals involved are different.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                poorly acted

poorly acted
                poorly written, yes some episodes were dreadful

poorly acted ?
                Hell No !

Comment

I absolutely LOVED this show. I never had any problems with it. I thought that the Xindi arc was even better then the rest of the show!
                  Xavier Cortez in GWRP
                  sigpic
                  BALINSKY: Yes these markings, this stone and architecture ... oh Dr. Jackson is going to die when he sees this.
                  DIXON: What, again?

Comment

...because there was no Dean Stockwell to make Scott Bakula bearable.

I liked it, for the most part, probably because it's the ST show that I've seen the most of... not that I'm saying it's any better than the others, probably still the worst ST series, but I enjoy it.

Comment

I loved ENT. Got me back into Trek. Since then i have watched all DS9 and VOY. ENT is probably my 2nd favourite behind DS9.

The Xindi arc was Trek at it's best.

Imo, the good far outwayed the bad.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                      And I absolutely agree on the comment that if we see Trek again it'll have to be in the format of DS9 or seasons three and four of ENT. TNG, TOS, and VOY style Trek simply wouldn't survive on television today- since then we've learned the wonders of the serialized drama/season-long plot arcs, etc. Which is a good thing. Trek needs to evolve otherwise what would be the point?
                      I agree. Just have to look at modern sci-fi in shows like BSG + Heroes.
                      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I loved Enterprise, but then I love all Star Trek with the possible exception of some of DS9, only because I didn't like the Odo character.

Comment

Originally posted by kara58 View Post
                          I didn't like the Odo character.
                          Shun the non-believer! Shun! Shuuuuuuuuun!!
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            Shun the non-believer! Shun! Shuuuuuuuuun!!
                            Feed him to the liopleurodon.

Comment

It's a magical liopleurodon! It will show us the waaaaaaaaaaay!
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I don't hate Enterprise but I do feel like many others that it would have benefited from not being cancelled! The first two seasons were really a case of finding some sort of justification for it being made. I really couldn't get into the idea of an alien race totally obsessed with the destruction of the Human Race, there was never any explanation for the actual reason behind it from what I recall, or maybe I missed something there.

I enjoyed it mainly for seeing Earth's first steps out into the galaxy.The Enterprise was a wonderful ship that had the look of a believable progression from Cochran's first 'warp ship' seen in 'First Contact'. There were plausible limitations on what these early travellers could achieve and it was always interesting to see how they dealt with situations with the level of technology they had and not what we've got used to in Trek. No tractor beams, phasers on the ship and a general fear of the prototype transporter that they only used as a last resort. That was a nice touch, although I can't help thinking of the transporter scene in 'Galaxy Quest' when I saw reactions to the transporter in Enterprise!

As the Xindi storyline progressed into the final season I actually enjoyed seeing the different evolutionary aspects of the Xindi and how they interacted. This would have been interesting to see more of. The different sides we saw of the Vulcans was also interesting. A logical race resorting to subterfuge and petty sqabbles over borders with the Andorians was...... 'fascinating' *raises eyebrow*

Comment

Working...
                                X