Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    Andto conclude.....SPACE BATTLES(!!!).....need I say more?
    Those poor poor Miranda class ships flanking the Defiant. They never stood a chance. It still hurts me to see them spinning to their deaths.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      Just saw "Sacrifice of Angels".....wow. So glad I found a spare hour of videotape this morning, there's one that I definitly must re-watch soon.
      Sacrifice of Angels wraps up the Dominion occupation of DS9 arc wonderfully. A fantastic episode, one of the best episodes of one the best TV series ever made.

Yes, there's some suspension of disbelief necessary for the Defiant to make it to the wormhole and the ultimate deus ex machina once they are inside but in the end it makes sense and Sisko's deal and negotiation with the prophets comes back to haunt him in the long term despite the short term reprieve. The battle scenes look brilliant to this day, a good eight and a half years since it's original air date. There are some brilliant moments, Quark's reaction to phasering two Jem'Hadar guards, Dukat desperately searching for Ziyal only to have her die in his arms. An episode packed with heroism and action. We now know the Federation is ready and willing to do anything necessary to take on the Dominion.
      Originally posted by Trek_Girl4
      My favourite moment- when Gul Dukat said dazedly "but victory was in our grasp" almost childlike.....that was GREAT.

One teeny tiny complaint (I love to nit-pick my favourite eps )
      Spoiler:
      Zyal's(sp?) death. It felt.....tacked on, like a footnote in such an eventful episode. While obviously important to the plot (Dukat ins-.....er.....more insane!) I think it would have done better if left to the next episode. A little rearranged editing, have this one end with Sisko arriving back on the station, show the other Cardassian (Damar?) approaching Dukat and Zyal with a phaser before that, beginning of the next ep, flash back to Damar shooting Zyal, cue opening credits, go from there with the storyline, I think it would feel more impactful-like that way. And add a more serious tone to set up the rest of the season.
      Interesting idea Trek_Girl!.

Dukat's descent into madness resulting from victory unfathomably slipping through his fingers is well-conceived. Maybe a tad over the top, but nice nonetheless. Yet, as always, there's more to this guy than meets the eye. The fact that he's determined to find Ziyal before evacuating says something about him. Yes, he loves her, but it also comes back to wanting to see his actions justified and his past forgiven. Doesn't happen here.

A broken and destroyed Dukat. It's poetic justice. A guy who has gone from an administrator to a nobody to a rebel to a warlord now becomes ... nothing. Not dead, but lost, imprisoned, and with a dead daughter who can never forgive him. His demise brought on by his own actions. And then he gives Sisko back his baseball, classic and moving!.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl4
      Andto conclude.....SPACE BATTLES(!!!).....need I say more?
      Originally posted by Elles View Post
      Yes! Scrafice of Angels was my favorite space battle.
      Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
      Those poor poor Miranda class ships flanking the Defiant. They never stood a chance. It still hurts me to see them spinning to their deaths.
      I couldn't agree with you three anymore!.

How should I put it? They weren't simply "awesome," they were "AWESOME!", absolutely beautiful. You just don't see special effects of this caliber on a television production. These sequences are feature-film good. And they aren't simply good in the technical sense, they're also great in the visceral sense, effective at conveying the utter Pandemonium and sense of urgency facing the Defiant's attempts to race through the Dominion's front line. And the Klingons' nicely-timed arrival to the fight, as obvious as - "Favor the Bold" set it up to happen,- had me cheering . We're talking some serious panache here.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
        This is another episode that has a moral issue that it's trying to drive home. Again, like Melora, it's poured on a little heavy, but it's made better by some great comedy.
        Didnt really like Melora. Understood what they were trying to do and the message, but it just didnt work for me onscreen.

Originally posted by Starbase
        Brother Fifth Race always asks people that are fabs of the show to post there top 5 or 10 characters from the show and maybe a brief explanation why. It gives others a good and close glimpse at how others viewed the show, which is interesting and kind of cool. You are still in the early seasons and personally my favorite characters list changed over the seasons.
        Well at this stage (Only seen 27 eps, so will no doubt change several times yet) i'd say my list would go something like:

1) Quark- Always funny and scheming
        2) Bashir- Good doc, funny
        3) O'Brien- Solid engineer with a good personality
        4) Odo- Intriguing. Works well with Quark
        5) Sisko- Solid.
        6) Nog- Funny
        7) Kira- Would rate higher, except she seems a bit all over the place with her thoughts/past/loyalties/religion
        8) Jadzia Dax- Doesnt do to much as a science officer
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Sacrifice of Angels wraps up the Dominion occupation of DS9 arc wonderfully. A fantastic episode, one of the best episodes of one the best TV series ever made.

Yes, there's some suspension of disbelief necessary for the Defiant to make it to the wormhole and the ultimate deus ex machina once they are inside but in the end it makes sense and Sisko's deal and negotiation with the prophets comes back to haunt him in the long term despite the short term reprieve. The battle scenes look brilliant to this day, a good eight and a half years since it's original air date. There are some brilliant moments, Quark's reaction to phasering two Jem'Hadar guards, Dukat desperately searching for Ziyal only to have her die in his arms. An episode packed with heroism and action. We now know the Federation is ready and willing to do anything necessary to take on the Dominion.

Interesting idea Trek_Girl!.

Dukat's descent into madness resulting from victory unfathomably slipping through his fingers is well-conceived. Maybe a tad over the top, but nice nonetheless. Yet, as always, there's more to this guy than meets the eye. The fact that he's determined to find Ziyal before evacuating says something about him. Yes, he loves her, but it also comes back to wanting to see his actions justified and his past forgiven. Doesn't happen here.

A broken and destroyed Dukat. It's poetic justice. A guy who has gone from an administrator to a nobody to a rebel to a warlord now becomes ... nothing. Not dead, but lost, imprisoned, and with a dead daughter who can never forgive him. His demise brought on by his own actions. And then he gives Sisko back his baseball, classic and moving!.

I couldn't agree with you three anymore!.

How should I put it? They weren't simply "awesome," they were "AWESOME!", absolutely beautiful. You just don't see special effects of this caliber on a television production. These sequences are feature-film good. And they aren't simply good in the technical sense, they're also great in the visceral sense, effective at conveying the utter Pandemonium and sense of urgency facing the Defiant's attempts to race through the Dominion's front line. And the Klingons' nicely-timed arrival to the fight, as obvious as - "Favor the Bold" set it up to happen,- had me cheering . We're talking some serious panache here.
          These past three episodes have struck me as epic-mini-series-like, the CGI is AMAZING! And definitly could pass for something on television today, those fleet shots were stunningly beautiful. And I loved the shot of the mine-field detonating. The only thing that I would say to be slightly dated is the design of the interior of the wormhole- although the effects of that are beautifuly well done.

And yeah, Quark shooting those Jem'Hadar.....that was priceless- I love how much he has grown as a character over the course of the last few episodes. I guess the Vorta didn't turn out to be "alcoholic, gluttenous, sex maniacs" after all. Or he might have been a little more.....reluctant to help out.

I'm just so excited to see where this Dukat story goes- and how he'll get off DS9.

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
            Well at this stage (Only seen 27 eps, so will no doubt change several times yet) i'd say my list would go something like:
            I am not nearly the DS9 vet that some folk are here, but I am on my third time through seasons 6 and 7 and Quark is my fav as well. I think it's not only the subtle and effective acting, but the uniqueness of the character. The space entrepreneur with all the cunning and cowardice of a hooman everyman, he sort of represents all the ignoble and less than perfect people who watch the show. And Quark grows and changes, as mentioned. I love the way Worf always refers to him as "The Ferengi" as though he's the only one or doesn't deserve a name.....

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
              I am not nearly the DS9 vet that some folk are here, but I am on my third time through seasons 6 and 7 and Quark is my fav as well. I think it's not only the subtle and effective acting, but the uniqueness of the character. The space entrepreneur with all the cunning and cowardice of a hooman everyman, he sort of represents all the ignoble and less than perfect people who watch the show. And Quark grows and changes, as mentioned. I love the way Worf always refers to him as "The Ferengi" as though he's the only one or doesn't deserve a name.....
              Well said kmiller1610, even though Quark isn't at the top of my list, he is definetly one of the stars of the show. Quark's character unlike most of the other characters just doesn't change throughout the whole series, he is the same (cunning, greedy, unscrupulous, sleezy) whether it is the Cardassian's, the Dominion or lowly Huumon's and the Federation running DS9. I can't say enough about Armin Shimermans acting chops, it cannot be easy donning all that make-up with those un-Godly sized fang like teeth while playing the character Quark quite flawlessly. I remember watching one of the DS9 early season box set's special features, where Terry Farrell (Dax) talked about how for the first season most of the fellow actors couldn't help busting out in spontaneous laughter when seeing the "butt for a head" that Shimerman and all other Ferengi characters had to wear.

Comment

Didnt really like Melora. Understood what they were trying to do and the message, but it just didnt work for me onscreen.
                I wasn't a big fan of that episode and character as well my friend. I did read where the character of Melora was originally developed to be a regular on the series. However, logistics made it difficult to use the effects required for the character on a regular basis, and the character was dropped until the second season.

Originally posted by MB.Eddie

2) Bashir- Good doc, funny
                3) O'Brien- Solid engineer with a good personality
                4) Odo- Intriguing. Works well with Quark
                5) Sisko- Solid.
                6) Nog- Funny
                7) Kira- Would rate higher, except she seems a bit all over the place with her thoughts/past/loyalties/religion
                8) Jadzia Dax- Doesnt do to much as a science officer
                Great list MB.Eddie! and I appreciate you taking the time to post it. And you are right-on when you said "will no doubt change several times yet". My list changed season to season, and like yourself, Kira wasn't to highly ranked through the first few seasons, but by season 4 to the time the series was over, she climbed into my top 3. And as I am sure you are fully aware, Worf joins the show at the very beginning of season 4, Worf is off the hook with DS9, much better than TNG Worf. Feel free to give an updated list when you deem it necessary.

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of that episode and character as well my friend. I did read where the character of Melora was originally developed to be a regular on the series. However, logistics made it difficult to use the effects required for the character on a regular basis, and the character was dropped until the second season.
                  Ah ok. That quite interesting. I can see it would be a problem with those graphics for the low gravity. Dont really see the point in having her character as regular cast anyway, as they dont really need an Ensign. She'd just get in the way, and they would struggle to write her into it imo.

Originally posted by Starbase
                  And as I am sure you are fully aware, Worf joins the show at the very beginning of season 4, Worf is off the hook with DS9, much better than TNG Worf. Feel free to give an updated list when you deem it necessary.
                  Yes i am well aware that Worf will join on in later seasons, and am looking foward it to greatly. I liked him on TNG (Which im also watching from the start, although i have seen a lot more random eps and all the movies), and am looking forward to seeing him at DS9. He commands his own small ship the Defiant yes?

And thanks i will update the list when i feel it needs change/when i watch more eps/when i remember too
                  Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
                    "he sort of represents all the ignoble and less than perfect people who watch the show" .... LOLOL, I don't know whether to take offense or laugh my ass off .

Quark is a very unique character that does "grow and change" like you mentioned but he also remains the true to his Ferengi ways throughout the entire series unlike his brother Rom, nephew Nog, mother Moogie and the Grand Negus who all change there thinking and ways.

I know Worf despises Ferengi, but he epsecially hated Quark when he realized that Jadzia has a soft spot in her heart for Quark. Worf did eventually change his mind about Quark with a little help from Martok after the great season VII episode Shadows and Symbols, where ......
                    Spoiler:
                    Worf, O'Brien, Bashir and Quark all go on basically a suicide mission against the Dominion to make sure Jadzia gets into Sto-vo-kor
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Yes i am well aware that Worf will join on in later seasons, and am looking foward it to greatly. I liked him on TNG (Which im also watching from the start, although i have seen a lot more random eps and all the movies), and am looking forward to seeing him at DS9. He commands his own small ship the Defiant yes?
                      Worf is excellent on DS9. Even though his Klingon character is exactly the same and very familiar, they give him so much more to work with than he got on TNG. You will also be introduced to a truly brilliant Klingon character General Martok who is one of my top 5 favorite characters from the entire series. You also see Worf's brother Kurn quite a few times on DS9. A lot of truly great Klingon dedicated episodes on DS9, more so than any other series.
                      The Defiant is given to Sisko to command, but Worf is second in command and takes over the captains chair a few times over the series. Without giving to mahy spoilers, Worf does a stint as second officer for Gen. Martok on a Klingon "Bird of Prey".
                      Originally posted by MB.Eddie
                      And thanks i will update the list when i feel it needs change/when i watch more eps/when i remember too
                      Great list my friend, and like brother Starbase and you mentioned, my list changed quite a few times from seasons to season and when I re-watch the series over in its entirety. Here is the last "favorite characters list" ........

1) Sisko ....he's still my #1.
                      2) Kira ....moved up the list.
                      3) Bashir ....also moved up a notch.
                      4) Garak .... ....truly brilliant!
                      5) Martok ....the best Klingon character of any Trek series or movie.
                      6) Quark ....again, a truly brilliant character played by a brilliant actor.
                      7) Worf ....much better in DS9 than he was on TNG.
                      8) Odo ....really shined in season 7.
                      9) Jadzia ....the Dax symbiont character was a stroke of genius.
                      10) O'Brien ....again, much better in DS9 than he was on TNG.

I also really loved the characters of Rom, Damar, Nog, Jake, Leeta, Ezri, Female Changeling, Morn, Gowron and especially Weyoun!.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Is Garak the Cardassian who owns the clothes shop on DS9, and whom Bashir thinks is a spy? If its not he, whom is he?

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Is Garak the Cardassian who owns the clothes shop on DS9, and whom Bashir thinks is a spy? If its not he, whom is he?
                          That's correct MB.Eddie, Garak is also an ex-Obsidian Order (Cardassian Intelligence) agent who was very highly ranked. He was also an interrogator and torturer who realized to late that what he was doing was wrong and left the OO to which he is now banned from ever returning to Cardassia. That is why he is now a refugee on DS9 working as a tailor.

I do not want to spoil anything you haven't seen yet, but Garak will play a much bigger and a more interesting part in the later seasons, he becomes IMO one of the very best Trek characters ever.

I haven't done a favorites characters list in a while. I will post one later when I get the time.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                            Worf is excellent on DS9. Even though his Klingon character is exactly the same and very familiar, they give him so much more to work with than he got on TNG. You will also be introduced to a truly brilliant Klingon character General Martok who is one of my top 5 favorite characters from the entire series. You also see Worf's brother Kurn quite a few times on DS9. A lot of truly great Klingon dedicated episodes on DS9, more so than any other series.
                            The Defiant is given to Sisko to command, but Worf is second in command and takes over the captains chair a few times over the series. Without giving to mahy spoilers, Worf does a stint as second officer for Gen. Martok on a Klingon "Bird of Prey".

Great list my friend, and like brother Starbase and you mentioned, my list changed quite a few times from seasons to season and when I re-watch the series over in its entirety. Here is the last "favorite characters list" ........

1) Sisko ....he's still my #1.
                            2) Kira ....moved up the list.
                            3) Bashir ....also moved up a notch.
                            4) Garak .... ....truly brilliant!
                            5) Martok ....the best Klingon character of any Trek series or movie.
                            6) Quark ....again, a truly brilliant character played by a brilliant actor.
                            7) Worf ....much better in DS9 than he was on TNG.
                            8) Odo ....really shined in season 7.
                            9) Jadzia ....the Dax symbiont character was a stroke of genius.
                            10) O'Brien ....again, much better in DS9 than he was on TNG.

I also really loved the characters of Rom, Damar, Nog, Jake, Leeta, Ezri, Female Changeling, Morn, Gowron and especially Weyoun!.
                            Excellent list, the Fifth Race!

Sisko - A great captain who loves baseball! He does show some emotion when the time is appropriate, different from captain Picard. (as someone pointed out.)

Worf - yes, he got more time in the spotlight than he did in TNG. Worf
                            also got married in a recent episode.

O'Brien - same here: He gets a chance for his character to develop in DS9.
                            Compared to TNG; he was only the transport operator. Did O'Brien get any time in the spotlight in TNG?

Bashir - A great doctor who fantasizes about being a secret agent!

Odo - A terrific security chief and sometimes has humorous dealings with Quark. He also has an excellent serious tone of voice.

Quark - A Ferengi bartender. Wants to make more money. Once tampered with the DS9 communications to advertise his bar.

Jadzia Dax - Quite possibly the most enthusiastic character in DS9.

Kira - Very Loyal to Bajor. Normally has a serious or worried expression on her face.

The Jem'Hadar - the Brutes of the Dominion. Great weight-lifters! They do not sleep, eat, or drink. Do any of them actually talk at any time throughout the series?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06 View Post
                              The Jem'Hadar - the Brutes of the Dominion. Great weight-lifters! They do not sleep, eat, or drink. Do any of them actually talk at any time throughout the series?
                              Yes, they talk. I remember a few episodes but the ones that stick out is Rocks and Shoals, and the one where the Defiant's crew help the Dominion track down the rogue Jem'Hadar who stole the Iconian gateway tech.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
                                Yes, they talk. I remember a few episodes but the ones that stick out is Rocks and Shoals, and the one where the Defiant's crew help the Dominion track down the rogue Jem'Hadar who stole the Iconian gateway tech.
                                Hmm...I could have sworn I heard one talking in "A Time To Stand". He sounded kind of wierd, though. It sounded like his mouth was in water.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X