Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superman Returns: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Ori
    Just to say yeh that ok superman is strong and can stop a bullet. But how cam when a bullet hits him nothing happens to his costume, what's that made of then. Is this a blooper!!
    In the comics, his costume is made from the blankets that baby Kal-El was wrapped in when the Kents found him and the spaceship. Being of Kryptonian make it had the same indestructable properties.

Another theory I've heard is that because the costume is skin-tight it 'borrows' Superman's indestructability, just like Lois Lane can fly with Superman just by holding his hands.

But as for the movie's reason...in the Donner film in '78, when Clark first creates the Fortress of Solitude and then he goes on that virtual trip to Krypton with Jor-El, he returns wearing the Superman costume, so we can presume that the Fortress made it for him with Kryptonian properties.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
      But as for the movie's reason...in the Donner film in '78, when Clark first creates the Fortress of Solitude and then he goes on that virtual trip to Krypton with Jor-El, he returns wearing the Superman costume, so we can presume that the Fortress made it for him with Kryptonian properties.
      Very true. It's been awhile since I've seen that first movie. I definitely have to re-watch it.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Finally went to see it yesterday. Good movie. Not the best movie I’ve ever seen but entertaining enough and worth the $3. I didn’t think it was too long. Course I forgot to wear a watch so had no way of keeping track of time.

I’m just thankful that Bryan Singer was the one directing this. I shudder to think about the product that Tim Burton could have produced…. Not to mention that Nick Cage wanted to play Superman….. The horror….the horror.

I liked the casting with the exception of Kate Bosworth as Lois. She is no Margo Kidder or Terri Hatcher. Like ToasterOnFire said, the sassiness of the original Lois was missing. Plus there is no way I could see her Lois diving down and pulling Superman to the surface. She just seemed too wimpy. Course she should have been dead or laid up in a hospital after all the bashing and crashing around she did in that plane ride….

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        Glad to see that Lois's beau wasn't painted out to be a jerk and that they didn't go for the cliched "Lois dumps the guy now that Superman is back" plot.
        I was glad for that, too. I didn’t want to see James Marsden get wasted like that. I was kind of worried what he would be like since his last name was White, but he turned out to be a good guy. And I got to see his nice eyes….yeah I’m shallow.

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
        I found it disturbing. I just don’t see how Superman could be so irresponsible. He was more of a super stalker in this movie.
        Yeah that kind of bothered me as well….the stalking part.

Course the poor guy is crazy in love with Lois. I mean he gave up his powers to be with her in the 2nd movie, which I had kind of forgotten when I started reading spoilers about the kid in the movie being his. I remembered him giving up his powers but kind of forgot about what else happened in the Fortress of Solitude…. And here he comes back and she has totally forsaken him.

Originally posted by Easter Lily
        Spacey's Luthor is a darker, potentially much more sinister creature. There is strong feeling of suppressed anger and his expression of evil was much more personal. I was very disturbed by the way he and his henchmen dealt with Superman.
        I was hoping this movie would be more serious in its tone and that Lex would be a darker villain and not so comedic. Was pretty pleased with how Spacey played Luthor and the character in general. The only thing I really had problems with in regards to the character was his plan to create a new continent. Umm…okay…how does he expect to force people to pay for his land. That whole part of his plan just totally eluded me. He’s a known criminal, he just supposedly killed billions, and now he’s just going to start selling land, without any interference by the US and its military or any other world militaries. And let’s just forget the military interference for a second…that land looked pretty uninhabitable.

About the sequence where Superman was beat down by Lex and his henchmen. Yeah that was pretty difficult to watch.

Oh yeah, I have a question about the ship that Superman returned to Earth in at the beginning of the movie. Is that supposed to be the ship that he arrived in as a baby?

And another thing I liked about the movie was that they kept the classic intro credits from the first 2 movies….the big blue lettering and the space setting.

I can’t wait for the next movie. I read on Wiki that supposedly Warner Bro. had already green-lighted another movie slated for release in 2009. As respectable as I thought this one was, I hope there is another.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
          this is a post i made on another site...sums up the movie for me.

so....we saw it today...

my wife liked it overall but felt the kid was redundant and a bad plot device as it pretty much ties up a role for however many movies they do.

i really didn't like it. just seemed like a remake of #1 including the the disaster in Nevade re-enacted with the train set. . Routh has no on screen presence. I've always felt that Kate Bosworth looks like a man. Together they had nothing that worked even in the pathetically redone flying romance scenes from the original. Lex was ok, but just seemed that it was Spacey doing Hackman doing Luthor. I felt no bond with any of the characters at all. I also felt the kid was pointless. If they'd at least left some question about the parentage to a later movie, mighta been ok with it, but as it stands, no. About the only thing I really liked was the original JW score.

I'm not a big Supes fanboy and this wasn't high on my list of things to see, but even with low expectations, I was disappointed. Hopefully, no more films, or at least, no more until they get a better writer that's not just going to rehash the originals.

-----

I really think they should have started the franchise over as they did with Batman. And I think they should have used Tom Welling. I'm not such a die hard Smallville fan that I think it should have been Welling from the get go, but I really don't think Roush brought anything to the role and that Welling has a much better grasp of the Clark Kent/Superman roles than Roush. I think almost anybody could have done a better job. If Roush is really 6'4 and 225 he's got the least presence I've ever seen for that size on screen.
          If you're not a fan of Superman how can you state wheter or not the plot, story or movie is not a good superman movie?

I really enjoyed the movie myself. I always thought that Supes couldn't... have sex as supes. Was this during the time he gave up his powers?
          z

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
            If you're not a fan of Superman how can you state wheter or not the plot, story or movie is not a good superman movie?
            i said i'm not a FANBOY.
            Thanks!
            Jordan

my page
            My LJ
            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Personally, I thought Routh did an admirable job as Clark/Superman. He had big boots to fill.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

In the next movie, will his son play a part?

Comment

was good but not too sure about the story line what was the motive of Lex!!
                  I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
                    In the next movie, will his son play a part?
                    Have they already greenlighted a sequel?

Comment

im going to see superman next week, and I cant wait. I've read some stuff on it, seen the trailers and watched the science of superman on sky one last week which had some scenes of the film it and it looks brilliant. i cant wait to go, i think itll be great.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                        Have they already greenlighted a sequel?
                        im not sure if there is definetly a sequal but im sure i read somewhere that some of the people involved had been talking about what the next film would be like and that there is a way to do a sequal from this film. hope that helps.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                          im not sure if there is definetly a sequal but im sure i read somewhere that some of the people involved had been talking about what the next film would be like and that there is a way to do a sequal from this film. hope that helps.
                          according to this the studio won't be making another unless this one tops 200million domestically.

as of yesterday, it was only at 145million domestically.

don't see it happening, myself.
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
                            don't see it happening, myself.
                            On the contrary, I think Returns will easily surpass $200mill.

Comment

Superman Returns only made $11 million this weekend. At this rate, it might come close to $200 million but it is unlikely to make more than $200 million. The movie's production budget alone is $260 million. Who knows how much money they spent on the advertisement. There's also the money they spent trying to revive the franchise, Tim Burton got paid $10 million just for being attached to the project. Superman Returns is unlikely to make back its money from the box office but once you count other factors, merchandise, DVD's, DVD's of other Superman shows and movies that received a boost, etc., they might make some money to warrant a sequel.

Comment

Very drawn out, long but interesting enough to keep me hooked, still think they should have just started from the start and re-done the whole thing, sadly if they decide to do another i hope it never reflects the poorness of movies Superman III and VI, they were truely bad and worthy of being deleted in lieu of a new movie that has no connections, num I was good num II was better but thats all, my only pet is that they set it after number II and that i would have loved it to start from when Krypton blew up and he came to Earth!.

All in all not a bad flick at all but quite long and the characters were odd and some did't feel right for the movie.
                                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Working...
                                X