Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superman Returns: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theaters are like movie drive in's.....a thing of the past..... I'll wait for the DVD.
    Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

I can't even put into words how much I enjoyed this film. Ok, maybe I can try. Simply amazing! Yep, that works.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

What did everyone think of this movie? I thought it was going to be more actiony and less ‘the world needs a saviour – cue epic music’ but I did enjoy.

I have mixed feelings about Lex, he seemed less ruthless and more low scale criminal-boss then I expected from him.
        ----
        There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
        serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Disappointed. Most episodes of Superman: The Animated Series are better than this movie.

They were trying to be more serious but kept the continuity and the silliness of the Superman 1 and 2.

Comment

haven't watch it yet... currently in the middle of watching all the bond movies. Will watch it later though. The movie is rated by critics as pretty good... and I probably think I will enjoy it, seeing as to how Brian Singer did an awesome job on X1 and X2 and ditched X3 for Superman Returns.
            Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
              They were trying to be more serious but kept the continuity and the silliness of the Superman 1 and 2.

I found it hard to take Lex seriously, and I wanted to because there is a certain dignity that I get from Lex in the comics, unlike say, the Penguin.

He was suitably evil, but still more cartoonish. I found Smallville’s Lex to be more believable, which is sad.

And I found the entire Clark/Lois storyline boring.
              ----
              There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
              serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

I felt as though I wasted 2hrs and some change of my life......the effects were decent but I just found it lacking something.

Comment

Hmmm, personally, I really enjoyed the film. I thought it was a nice addition to Superman I and II.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Definitely felt like the other 4 films. Lex Luthor was still a whack job and could have been a little more believable as a bad guy if he was serious. Nice homage to the films with the archive footage of Marlon Brando. Still can't see why Bryan Singer went for this instead of X-Men. That said, Singer is probably the only reason SR was half decent.

James Marsden did well for himself, I think. Good to see him out of the angst!cyclops loop. Brandon Routh carried off Christoper Reeves very well and I don't think he made Superman "too gay", as critiques have been saying.

Spoiler:
                    I really hoped they wouldn't follow the idea that Lois' kid was Superman's as well, but eh. I wasn't expecting them to elaborate on that however it may have killed the movie for me.

200 times better than the other 4 put together, but still not fantastic. The casting of Superman was better handled, tho. Never had much respect for Christopher Reeves as an actor.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
                      I found it hard to take Lex seriously, and I wanted to because there is a certain dignity that I get from Lex in the comics, unlike say, the Penguin.

He was suitably evil, but still more cartoonish. I found Smallville’s Lex to be more believable, which is sad.
                      They really should have rebooted the series. Superman 1 and 2 were much more lighthearted and fun so the cartoony Luthor was a good villain but they tried to make Superman Returns more serious and the cartoony con man Luthor just didn’t fit. Plus Parker Posey’s character was stupid. Mercy Graves should have been Luthor’s sidekick.

And I found the entire Clark/Lois storyline boring.
                      I found it disturbing. I just don’t see how Superman could be so irresponsible. He was more of a super stalker in this movie.

Comment

In response to the post about Tom Welling playing Superman. He is ok in smallville but I get the feeling that he can't play two characters. He might be able to the clark with some effort but not be able to switch throughout the movie.
                        The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
                        Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
                        Wash: It did seem to resemble-
                        Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

Loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I kinda knew beforehand that Superman was the father of Lois' kid. I read an interview with Bryan Singer where he said that he was doing something in Returns that had never been done before in the comics and films and that he hoped would inspire similar storylines in the comics. And earlier I had read something in Wikipedia that had talked about Superman's relationship with Lois and how the one issue about their relationship that the comics never broached was children and whether or not it was possible, let alone what any kids would be like. And I put two and two together and wasn't suprised in the cinema when they revealed - if anything, I was happy that I was right and was able to pick up subtle hints about it that other people wouldn't have (for example; "You wanna grow up to be big and strong like your father").

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead

I found it disturbing. I just don’t see how Superman could be so irresponsible. He was more of a super stalker in this movie.
                            I didn't like that aspect as well. Not simply that they introduced a son, but just that they portrayed him as a typical 'deadbeat dad' type...gets a woman pregnant doesn't even know about it and disappears before she can tell him.

Comics or previous movies, Clark/Superman has always weighed his actions and been far to responsible and conscious of his actions to do something like that.
                            Thanks!
                            Jordan

my page
                            My LJ
                            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Well...yes he did and with a vengence. I loved the movie. Routh seemed to fit the role very well. What did the rest of you think?

I enjoyed it very well. I was worried that it was going to be rip off of the first two Superman movies in some fashion but it was far from it. I also liked Spacey as Luthor. He did an excellent job!
                              sigpic

Comment

there's thread in the smallville forum.
                                just an fyi.
                                Thanks!
                                Jordan

my page
                                My LJ
                                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Working...
                                X