Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siles View Post
    Being exposed to 3 years of continued sunlight might make them grow faster
    Actually, a period of dark is good for plants. It allows them to process. Rather like sleep.
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

they would never have survived the first 3 year cycle of darkness

and even if seeds were dormant and didn't sprout until the light, you can't get that kind of evolution in 100 years to make them grow that fast (as in 30+ feet tall)

It's not something they could have replicated. not to mention that most of the survivors would never have survived the second dark.

it's a 'gimme'....kinda like in Veratis....if biggie was 'dead' and helen had a bug in her brain, who took the bug out????? No one was there with the surgical skills...even AT admitted it was a plot hole.

It's just a gimme and part of the belief that you suspend to enjoy the show
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just rewatched this episode. I think is one of my favourite episodes from S3 (along with Breach, FKaC, and Normandy). I wanted to make another post to give a nod to the actors who played Dome!Ravi and Anna - to me, they were by far the most captivating characters in this episode. Excellent performances on both parts.
        "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
        ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

^yes, I really liked Ravi. And maybe it's just b/c I haven't seen Ravi in a while, but I thought the actor looked very believably like how an old Ravi would look.

I agree about not looking too closely at things like: wouldn't the plants die in 3 years of dark? And how did they get their clothes?

Comment

I think the plants and trees would have died in the first dark, definitely by the second one. There might be a few low plants, but the trees would all be dead. Ravi and the others would honestly be trying to rig some sort of powered light source - like ok the batteries die, then have people take turns on a bicycle to generate power. I know they're at the mercy of what tech they have but it would be doable i would think

also, wouldn't 3 years of dark = frozen wasteland?

or maybe it's all part of the bubble...but they were then doomed to die when winter really hit because they'd have centuries of winter...they were all doomed to die

sigpic

Comment

One other explanation is that the trees are dead, but still standing.

Comment

which would make sense...if it wasn't for the leaves

If the plants were in the loop with them and subject to the time dilation, then people on the outside should see the trees lose leaves and die off every night.

But if the trees and plants weren't in the same time dilation as them - as in not subject to it - then they'd take years to flower and grow seeds and food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  which would make sense...if it wasn't for the leaves
                  If seen dead trees with leaves. Don't ask me how, but I'm sure. They're just outside my window.

Comment

Just watched this. It apparently airs one week later in Canada, on Space channel. This was the second ep. that I've seen, the other one had a giant bug.

Very interesting about time-dilations. I've been watching Voyager and TNG lately and some recent eps are about time travel.

About the plants: agree with you all about them being dead after the first night. I watched a tv doc. about plants and light/dark cycles. They need a regular cycle to stay alive, otherwise they die. With a prolonged night, they can't produce photosynthesi, turn yellow, and wilt. With too long a day, they burn out their energy, shrivel up and dry out, and die.

Very good to see the standard military answer to the "unknown" is to blow it up. At least they haven't changed. And I like seeing Pendergast on the show.

Comment

so, after Jimmy in Penance....just how many Tunisian fire elementals are there?

sigpic

Comment

Finally got a chance for a rewatch and I have a question,
                        What exactly happened the first time they activated the device? Did time go faster? This part was confusing. And why were they crying? It felt like they were.

A question containing a spoiler about next episode
                        Spoiler:
                        Do the events of "Out of the blue" have to do anything with the one who made the time dilation field? I was waiting for an answer on that episode. Maybe I missed it. Did that snake creature have anything to do with it? I'm lost.

Comment

for out of the blue
                          Spoiler:

it is kinda tied into Adam. Largely in that

and this spoils the ending

Spoiler:

the critter in out of hte blue came from praxis...so adam's experiments in hollow earth forced the out of hte blue abby to the surface, making the episode happen

in the dome, their first experiment did 'crack' the bubble, resetting time for a few seconds. Since the bubble is faster than real time, anyone and anything living in it do not exist outside the bubble....so let's say it's 2134 inside the bubble, outside it's 2012 (i'm just making up the years by the way), but when you burst the bubble you go form 2134 to 2012 and anyone and anything inside the bubble doesn't exist yet, so it pops out of existence.

so anyone inside the bubble that isn't from 2012 - rave, magnus and will - will cease to exist the second the bubble is burst. which is what happened. Anna, Josie, they all stopped existing....did they die? well they simply weren't born yet.

same applies to any stuff they made.

the one question that wasn't answered....there were people inside the bubble when it started, but it seems if you died in the bubble, you stayed dead, but if you were born in the bubble, you couldn't exist in 2012 so you popped out of existence.

sigpic

Comment

^I guess that's the issue with shows doing time travel and time dilation fields; because it's not "real" (I don't know if it's theoretically possible? -shrug-), it's up to every show to make their own interpretation of what would happen (just like all the different stories about vampires and they're always different...).

Comment

the one question that wasn't answered....there were people inside the bubble when it started, but it seems if you died in the bubble, you stayed dead, but if you were born in the bubble, you couldn't exist in 2012 so you popped out of existence.
                              You can't get someone back from the dead.

Another thing wasn't mentioned and I really wanted to know it. The dome can't just simply end at the earth's surface. IT's a sphere, so it's base can't be flat like the earth's surface. Some part should have continued inside hollow earth and it must have had the same effect down there. Maybe even that small part is where Adam's time dilation field devices are. The only problem is, the Praxians should have found out by now. They should have discovered the sphere.

Comment

You can't get someone back from the dead.

Another thing wasn't mentioned and I really wanted to know it. The dome can't just simply end at the earth's surface. IT's a sphere, so it's base can't be flat like the earth's surface. Some part should have continued inside hollow earth and it must have had the same effect down there. Maybe even that small part is where Adam's time dilation field devices are. The only problem is, the Praxians should have found out by now. They should have discovered the sphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X