Carentan (318)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morigane50 View Post
    [...]English is not my first language so I am not sure to have well understood the why and how of all the story of the time dilation but it doesn't matter , i will rewatch the episode and hope to read a transcript to help me.
    Have you tried subs?

The last scene at the hospital was beautiful with the guilt on Helen and Will , that was sad too.
    They didn’t really explain the relation with the fire elemental which escape in 1944 and the situation nowadays , I hope they will do with the next episodes.
    They havent explained what/who cause the time dilation (sp). The fire elemental was a possibility. That's why Magnus blames herself.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post

They havent explained what/who cause the time dilation (sp). The fire elemental was a possibility. That's why Magnus blames herself.
      i'm wondering if adam worth is using the fire elemental, as a power source for his time dilation experiments?
      sally

sigpic

Comment

the transcript is done
        http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/s...s/carentan.htm
        my thanks to Jakie for providing teh French
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My response is going to be brief, but here goes.

I really enjoyed this episode far more than I had anticipated based on what the previews had shown. I thought it was a wonderful team episode, even with Henry missing. There wasn't really a place for him in this script, IMHO.

I loved older-Ravi. He was so sweet and soulful, but you could still see the Ravi we had known from kali. I just feel like it was a shame for him to die. I felt a little like it was a ploy to enforce the 'we have jeopardy' on Sanctuary more than having it actually forward the plot. JMHO, but I didn't like it. Of course, one more layer of guilt to Magnus' personality can't hurt.

I even *gasp* liked Will in this episode. When he is utilized as per his character description, and not acting like an overgrown adolescent, his continued employment at the Sanctuary and friendship with Magnus totally makes sense. PTB- please keep doing this!

Kate and Declan? Loved this partnership! Bada$s + Bada$ser? Perfectly brilliant. LOVED them.

I haven't had a chance to rewatch the ep. But those are my initial impressions.
          sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i'm wondering if adam worth is using the fire elemental, as a power source for his time dilation experiments?
            that's what i'm thinking.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
              Have you tried subs?

Thanks for the precisions!

I prefer not to use subs because they are usually done with the help of translation software and the final translation is sometimes horrible with a lot of non sense sentences which spoil the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Morigane50 View Post
                Thanks for the precisions!

I prefer not to use subs because they are usually done with the help of translation software and the final translation is sometimes horrible with a lot of non sense sentences which spoil the story.
                Some are pretty bad. But you can find good ones out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
                  I'm in the minority here who didn't like this episode. TBH I think (with the exception of Awakening) since Pax Romana, Sanctuary just hasn't had that oomph for me.
                  I felt like the story fell flat. There were so many things that made me just go... eh?

Like:
                  - How Helen just jumps on this exclusion zone in France
                  - Because no one contacts her about it they have to go over there and just stick their noses in
                  - She has to get in to find out what's going on?
                  Sorry but I just don't agree with this take on things and I'm wondering if we watched the same show.

That's not what happened. One of her Head of House, Declan, brought the situation to her notice because it involved another Head of House, Ravi. If you think Magnus is not going to react to a situation involving the disappearance of one of her Heads of House and a friend as well then I don't think you understand much about Helen Magnus. Also once discovering that there is some extremely high level interference in the investigation going on then it makes sense for Helen to go.

- They have no sattelite access at the start, but then Biggie can read the symbol for cerillium (sp?)
                  Actually whatever feed Declan tried to access was censored, that doesn't mean the main Sanctuary wouldn't try another way to get the information. They've proven that they are extremely resourceful before so why is it so difficult to believe now?

- In Normandy she says "you can't destroy a fire elemental" (or something), and then in Carentan to Will she says "I destroyed a fire elemental..."
                  Normandy -
                  Helen :
                  There's no way to really kill a fire elemental. It's kind of why they call them elementals.

Carentan -
                  Helen:
                  I destroyed a massive fire elemental back in 1944. Drove it into the Earth less than half a mile from here, and now this?

I'll agree that destroyed may not have been the best word to use but she didn't say that she killed the elemental and she further explained that she drove it into the ground.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post

I loved older-Ravi. He was so sweet and soulful, but you could still see the Ravi we had known from kali. I just feel like it was a shame for him to die. I felt a little like it was a ploy to enforce the 'we have jeopardy' on Sanctuary more than having it actually forward the plot. JMHO, but I didn't like it.
                    The thought crossed my mind that this was the work of Martin "Bloodthirsty" Wood.

Of course, one more layer of guilt to Magnus' personality can't hurt.
                    I liked how Magnus said that until she knows otherwise she suspects it's something she did. I do hope it's not, though.

Comment

Haven't had the chance to read all the comments yet so a lot of this will no doubt cover the same ground.

I liked this episode. Yes, it was a common scifi theme but I think it was well done.

Kudos:

-I really liked the actor who played the older Ravi. I cared what happened to the character which means the actor did a wonderful job.
                      -I liked the Kate/Declan combo. Something we haven't seen before and that was fun. I know people often say they would like to see more combos and not just Helen/Will. To me, Kate/Declan shows you can mix up the pairings successfully. Love that they could not stand doing nothing and were going to go after Helen and Will (even though that was exactly the wrong thing to do). I also thought this was a good use of Declan and in this ep it made sense for him to be involved.
                      -I like that they are keeping the Hollow Earth storyline alive in little ways.
                      -Thought the actress who played Ravi's wife was also excellent. What a noble character.
                      -Beautiful moment with Helen and Ravi at sunset. Well played by both actors.
                      -I did find this the episode where I thought of "Sam" as much as "Helen". Making the device out of various parts, including a toaster , caught in a time dilation field, etc
                      -Nice moments between Helen and Will.

Nitpicks:

-I found some of the directing distracting. There were a lot of sweeps past foreground elements that I found distracting.
                      -I miss Henry. I assume RR was off on another job because the stuff being done by the Big Guy was really more Henry's forte.
                      -I am officially tired of Will's love life in season 3. IMO it would have been better to have Helen working with a male scientist and have them fall for each other. Much more emotional investment for Helen then to be the one who ends his existence along with all the others.

Confusing points:

-I found the reaction of the team to the first checkpoint odd. Wouldn't Helen identify herself and try insisting on speaking to whomever was in charge before they just beat up people without knowing anything about them?
                      -Why would the girl shoot at Will and not Helen (who was operating the device)?
                      -Helen recognising Ravi right away. Thought it was unlikely she would immediately recognise him.
                      Last edited by EH-T; 11 June 2011, 07:37 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                        Confusing points:

-I found the reaction of the team to the first checkpoint odd. Wouldn't Helen identify herself and try insisting on speaking to whomever was in charge before they just beat up people without knowing anything about them?
                        -Why would the girl shoot at Will and not Helen (who was operating the device)?
                        -Helen recognising Ravi right away. Thought it was unlikely she would immediately recognise him.
                        -Ravi has already gone through that and since they refused to let Ravi in, they would have the same reaction towards Helen. Besides, their leader confirmed this later. He said it's top secret. Something that needs someone even more connected than she is to be revealed. More than top secret.
                        -Will was covering Helen at that time, so there was no way for them to reach Helen, besides, she felt betrayed by Will. She liked him and then he wants to make her vanish from existence. (My opinion)
                        -Ravi and Helen have been friends for a very long time. She would have recognized him even if he was 100 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          Why not? Ppl age, they dont change completly. Her brain is open enough to accept the fact that someone that is suppose to be 30 something is now 70 something. He recognized her so she jumped in. Recognizing Ravi.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
                            -Will was covering Helen at that time, so there was no way for them to reach Helen, besides, she felt betrayed by Will. She liked him and then he wants to make her vanish from existence. (My opinion)
                            No he wasnt. At best Ravi was. She does point the gun at Magnus but then goes back to Will.

Comment

We should see more Henry and Kate episodes.

Because really, what is Henry doing there? He doesn't really provide anything to the show. Since now the Big Guy can take over the computer tech.

Henry seems to be the Zeppo to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                                We should see more Henry and Kate episodes.

Because really, what is Henry doing there? He doesn't really provide anything to the show. Since now the Big Guy can take over the computer tech.

Henry seems to be the Zeppo to the team.
                                Actually Will is. I can't see a job for him there that anyone else can't do. He's not special.

Even though biggie learned how to do Henry's job, Henry is still a genius when it comes to technician work or hacking into any computer. He's natural.

Comment

Working...
                                X