Carentan (318)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    True. But that forest they walked through wasn't full of 3 year old trees. More like 20+
    not to mention a lack of dead ones.

Like others have said best not to look too closely.
    Then you're right. If you're on Twitter, you could tell Damian Kindler about that mistake. I tend to tell him whenever there's something wrong.
    For example, I told him once about the Background music that uses Arabic words that are not related in anyway to what's happening in the episode. I don't remember which episodes they were though.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
      But he was already over 30. Not a teenager that you suddenly see in their 40 or something.
      Plus he recognized them.

Will wasnt in from of her. Josie (sp) is looking at Ravi, gun pointing at Will. Neither of them on screen
      Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
      Here's another explanation. Kate might have acted on her own just like she did in 'The Bank Job'. It helped, but it wasn't what Magnus would think of. You see the point?
      Not sure there is any point in continuing to debate how I viewed certain things in the episode. We obviously view them differently. Besides, she shouldn't have recognised him because it wasn't the same actor!

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      what does that mean?
      For example, in a scene near the beginning with Biggie and Kate (joined by Will) the camera sweeps back and forth and there are things in the foreground (out of focus) the camera goes past several times.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

The Good:

-Loved the character moments in this episode... between Helen and Ravi, Ravi and Will, Helen and Will...
        -It was good to see Helen at her wits end. Too often, our heroes seem impervious to the tribulations they face. Makes the characters more real (or in this case, Helen).
        -Likewise for Will; but, I have to admit, somehow I didn't find RD's performance as compelling.
        -Generally speaking, this episode was a brilliant combination of plot and character development. The best of television always weds these elements; Sanctuary often favours the former at the expense of the latter - not so in this ep.
        -The Declan/Kate Team of Awesome! Loved their dynamic.

Minor Quibble:

-Why wouldn't the residents of the Dome have marked off the edge by this point?? Given that running into it is so dangerous...
        -Is it just me, or is Will becoming the Capt. Kirk of Sanctuary?

Moving onward:

-I'd love to see our heroes grapple with the morality of their decision a little bit. Granted it was the best of two tragic and terrible options, but that doesn't mean the decision shouldn't weigh heavily with them moving forward.
        -I hope to see more of this kind of story-telling from Sanctuary, where character development isn't given the short shrift.

P.S. Any one else get a Carter vibe when Magnus was explaining about dilation fields and communication?

All in all, a fantastic episode! I really enjoyed this one.
        "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
        ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post
          Minor Quibble:

-Why wouldn't the residents of the Dome have marked off the edge by this point?? Given that running into it is so dangerous...
          There is the small electrical feeling they got when they were near the edge that gave them a warning.
          Didn't the field already expand a couple times? Helen said it was ready to make a major expansion that would include the entire eastern part of France. Thus if they were going to mark off the perimeter, it would need to be updated every time it expanded.
          sigpic

Comment

-I'd love to see our heroes grapple with the morality of their decision a little bit. Granted it was the best of two tragic and terrible options, but that doesn't mean the decision shouldn't weigh heavily with them moving forward.
            With what is there to grapple?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              my point was....they've been though several 'long nights'...the trees should have died on the first one. If the people in the bubble had been living there for 100 years or so there should be no trees. They'd have died on the first long winter and be nothing but rotting trunks now
              Being exposed to 3 years of continued sunlight might make them grow faster

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                How bout choosing to erase hundreds of lives? Sounds to me like something that would/should weigh on anyone's conscious.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  How bout choosing to erase hundreds of lives? Sounds to me like something that would/should weigh on anyone's conscious.(sic)
                  Flip a switch to save all of humanity? Maybe some people would be bothered by it, but I don't see where the moral debate is.

Comment

I had a somewhat funny thought last night. Since their hair wouldn't last for years, when they came out of the bubble they would be bald.

I find that image funny

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                      There is the small electrical feeling they got when they were near the edge that gave them a warning.
                      Didn't the field already expand a couple times? Helen said it was ready to make a major expansion that would include the entire eastern part of France. Thus if they were going to mark off the perimeter, it would need to be updated every time it expanded.
                      Ah! The point about expansion is a good one. I imagine that might get tiresome... Nevertheless, they did go out and scan the field every day. But still, a good point.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                      How bout choosing to erase hundreds of lives? Sounds to me like something that would/should weigh on anyone's conscious.
                      Flip a switch to save all of humanity? Maybe some people would be bothered by it, but I don't see where the moral debate is.
                      I'm rather of Celandine's mind on this one, parsifal. It's true that billions of lives are saved; but the fact remains, hundreds of lives - including the lives of those that they got to know quite well over 100 some-odd days - were lost. I'm not sure the utilitarian calculus of maximal good would be enough to leave my mind at complete ease. Did they make the right decision? Yes. Did they make an easy decision? No. Effectively, hundreds of people were killed (insofar as their lives were ended) because of our heroes' actions. Despite the fact that billions were saved because of it, I would hope that this would still give them pause. I, at least, wouldn't want to simply them dusting their hands off and proclaiming "job well done" - to me, this decision was heavier than that.

Pity that Ravi died. His reaction moving on from the collapsing of the dome would have by far the most interesting.
                      "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                      ~William Adama

Comment

If you look at the last scene, after Will told Helen that Ravi didn't make it, Helen asked him if anyone else did. If you actually look at them, they are not happy, but do look sad at what happened, they may not have said anything about those who died, but you could see by the looks on thier faces it did affect them.

IMHO
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          If you look at the last scene, after Will told Helen that Ravi didn't make it, Helen asked him if anyone else did. If you actually look at them, they are not happy, but do look sad at what happened, they may not have said anything about those who died, but you could see by the looks on thier faces it did affect them.

IMHO
                          I think this is true. But I'm hoping that this persists a little into future eps - reflection upon, or contemplation/concern about their actions. *shrugs* I'm just not a fan of the reset button approach we tend to get. I mean, take Helen post Pavor; we saw her being pensive at the end of the ep, but after that she was right as rain.
                          ~William Adama

Comment

I'm rather of Celandine's mind on this one, parsifal. It's true that billions of lives are saved; but the fact remains, hundreds of lives - including the lives of those that they got to know quite well over 100 some-odd days - were lost. I'm not sure the utilitarian calculus of maximal good would be enough to leave my mind at complete ease. Did they make the right decision? Yes. Did they make an easy decision? No. Effectively, hundreds of people were killed (insofar as their lives were ended) because of our heroes' actions. Despite the fact that billions were saved because of it, I would hope that this would still give them pause. I, at least, wouldn't want to simply them dusting their hands off and proclaiming "job well done" - to me, this decision was heavier than that.
                            helen and will looked pretty down at the end of the ep, so i'd imagine that being one of the reasons for it, along with ravi dying, and being trapped in that existence for almost an entire year, etc.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I think this is true. But I'm hoping that this persists a little into future eps - reflection upon, or contemplation/concern about their actions. *shrugs* I'm just not a fan of the reset button approach we tend to get. I mean, take Helen post Pavor; we saw her being pensive at the end of the ep, but after that she was right as rain.
                              on that note, i agree, and a lot of shows do this (especially stargate). i'm still at how fast ashley's death was gotten over, and i'm not that big a fan of hers.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

I really didn't enjoy this episode at all. Low on action, no abnormals. No Druitt or Tesla or Henry and very little Biggie.

Also it just felt really rushed, the whole time dilation thing and a lot of the dialogue was questionable. "destroyed" the fire elemental, "only the 3 of us" would survive and then that theme was continued.. OK so we have to assume ALL the original teams are dead leaving only descendants. So it's a reset switch effectively.. so why do Helen and Will remember it? Why is Ravi dead, who shot him if that bird never existed?

Why would the continents be zipping around at super speed destroying the earth within the dilation field? If we accept that this is true for the continents wouldn't it be true for the people inside too - i.e. they wouldn't be able to move around or interact with each other or objects because they would be moving too fast and our bodies couldn't handle the G-force or impact of gently touching an object etc.

Completely agree with the points about marking the perimeter, survival of trees through the dark years etc. The villagers also looked pretty healthy for a bunch of people who'd been living off the land with no game to hunt (animals wouldn't survive 3 years of dark) and no sunlight for years at a time.

Nice enough clothes they were wearing too, very French villager looking. Made them all themselves presumably.. or are the clothes supposed to be 100 years old? In which case the govt. scientist teams and army follow ups went in disguised as circa 1950 French peasants I guess.

They could have just replaced this episode with a quick video call from Adam to the Sanctuary saying "I'm going to start messing with time bwahahahaha" for all I got out of it. *sigh*

/rant off
                                Last edited by Huaracocha; 13 June 2011, 04:24 PM.
                                "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Working...
                                X