Normandy (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    I am a bit confused about the widespread assumption that Helen and James were a couple. She just called him 'darling', surely that's not unexpected for two people who've been close friends for over 50 years?
    It wasn't just the "darling" comment. The Helen/James relationship was also expressed a bit more during the James/John conversations throughout the episode as well as John's parting statement to James - "treat her well, James".
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
      It wasn't just the "darling" comment. The Helen/James relationship was also expressed a bit more during the James/John conversations throughout the episode as well as John's parting statement to James - "treat her well, James".
      None of the James/John conversations confirmed it though, it's still an assumption. It's obvious Druitt thought so but neither James nor Helen have indicated it's truth. Granted it's a definite possibility but it's also just as possible that they simply have a really close friendship and it's merely Druitt's jealousy showing through.
      -

Comment

Yeah, but it was coming from Druitt, an unstable guy at best and someone likely quite prone to jealously. Watson never actually confirmed Druitt's suspicions (accusations?). Sure it's a hint to a closer relationship, and I wouldn't be surprised if Helen and Watson did get together at some point esp after working closely together for years, but it's hardly canon IMHO.

EDIT: What Realm said.

sigpic

Comment

this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkABxWn8wU video makes me think of 'normandy'
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            None of the James/John conversations confirmed it though, it's still an assumption. It's obvious Druitt thought so but neither James nor Helen have indicated it's truth. Granted it's a definite possibility but it's also just as possible that they simply have a really close friendship and it's merely Druitt's jealousy showing through.
            Yeah, but it was coming from Druitt, an unstable guy at best and someone likely quite prone to jealously. Watson never actually confirmed Druitt's suspicions (accusations?). Sure it's a hint to a closer relationship, and I wouldn't be surprised if Helen and Watson did get together at some point esp after working closely together for years, but it's hardly canon IMHO.

EDIT: What Realm said.
            I do agree. It's never been officially confirmed as canon (for which I'm thankful, because I still think of Helen/John as my OTP), but there have been a few hints/inferences about the closeness of Helen/James along the way in other episodes. I do find it confusing that some people (at various places, not just here) are labeling Helen as "doing the rounds with The Five" after seeing the hints of Helen/James that were inferred to in this episode.

One thing I noticed on the re-watch of this episode is how I loved the guest actors in this one - like the Nazi Colonel (I really liked him, even though he was the bad guy), the French Resistance lady (was her name Jeanette?), and even the Lieutenant with Tesla. Unfortunately, since this was set in 1944, I'm guessing it's unlikely we'd see these people back in recurring roles.
            sigpic

Comment

I do agree. It's never been officially confirmed as canon (for which I'm thankful, because I still think of Helen/John as my OTP), but there have been a few hints/inferences about the closeness of Helen/James along the way in other episodes. I do find it confusing that some people (at various places, not just here) are labeling Helen as "doing the rounds with The Five" after seeing the hints of Helen/James that were inferred to in this episode.
              You know, it's kind of funny that we're at that point in the show.
              Amanda said herself in an interview (when asked on the possibility of Helen/Nikola) that she didn't want the show to become "Helen beded every single member of The Five". But after Normandy, that possibility is more present. I don't know what she would have answered had the question concerned Watson. (Because no matter how much Helen/Nikola shippers there are, it's still an ambiguous ship, more than Helen/James at this point, IMHO. *ducks the rocks thrown by Teslenites* I mean that the nicest way possible. )

So who knows? I mean, IMO, the episode made Helen/James canon. Then again, remember SG1. There are people who don't consider S/J to be canon. I do, a LOT of people do. But some don't. Everyone has a right to have his own opinion on the characters/relationships in a show.
              sigpic
              Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
              My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
              Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

I loved this episode. It was quite different from all the other episodes, but very well done. In fact, probably one of their best. I only wish they could get a larger audience who could appreciate just how awesome they really are and how great is their product.

I liked the different style they used in filming this episode making it look more like the 1940's style. I could tell they subdued the brightness of colors. And I liked Helen's red hair and the reason she wore that wig (in honor of her 'red haired' Grandmother.)

I also enjoyed the way Druitt popped up as a nazi.....nicely played.

As for the romance between her and James.....come on, why not? I meant the woman is about 160 years old. That means young men (and older ones) have caught her eye for about 145 years. Don't you think she would have had a few lovers in all that time. Druitt was a very very very long time before. What's a woman to do?

So my thanks to the Sanctuary cast and crew.....top notch job. Keep it up - but please, try and move back to Friday night if you can. Those other shows are successful because they are running in the summer. The really big competition is not in the summer, but between Sept and the beginning of June. So either move to the summer or please, try and return to Friday nights if you have any say in it.
                sigpic

Comment

I am a bit confused about the widespread assumption that Helen and James were a couple. She just called him 'darling', surely that's not unexpected for two people who've been close friends for over 50 years?
                  Of course, everyone has their own opinion. Some people simply don't see Helen and James as a couple and the use of one term of endearment won't convince them that they are an item. But for me (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) that was confirmation that Druitt's suspicion was correct - James and Helen were together. It's true that two people who have known each other for 50+ years might call one another darling and not be lovers, but I simply do NOT see Helen using that term of endearment for a male friend. Based on when she was raised and her personality - I just don't think she would call a male friend "darling" - especially in that context of being terrified for his well-being (after the Nazi messed with his anti-aging suit). Could you see her saying that to Nigel? Biggie? Declan? I couldn't. But it didn't seem completely out of place for Helen to use the term with James. It was a little jarring because there weren't any overt hints that they were a couple - just Druitt's perception. But it worked for me because I can understand how they might have turned to each other. I bought it when Helen used the term on James and I can totally see them becoming a couple - for some period of time.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Overall, I like the style and concept of this episode. Such a breath of fresh air after the last three failed ones. I love any sort of background history related to Helen and the Five and would gladly see more episodes exploring a bit of their past.

One thing that I didnt mind horribly, but did bother me a bit was the fact that Helen wore slacks in this episode. It was a period piece, 1940's to be exact. Women just didnt wear pants during this era. They would have drawn many stares I'd think and with Helen trying to be covert, drawing eyes to her attire wouldnt have been done. The other woman spy wore a dress I noticed and probably fit in quite nicely...

Loved the concept of an abnormal that might have changed the outcome of D-day and ultimately, the War. Very intriguing concept to explore and I wish we could see other incidents throughout history where they were secretly used..or at least attempted.

Helen's French, I've been told since I don't speak it myself, was very good. It's nice to see a different aspect of her character and I love being surprised like this.

Comment

What i see?

we don't know how this is set in the general timespan of things. However Druitt had apparently already left her - Watson's comment about how much he hurt her.

while they may/ may not have been lovers, i think Watson was there to pick up the pieces after Druitt left Helen. and possibly may have been there when she made her pregnancy decision. Tesla, he's not her type. Not for anything beyond flirting. Nigel is just a good friend (and i think after this had someone of his own) Helen and watson were partners, and possibly were already working on the sanctuary network.

it's possible that she and watson were thinking of getting together (although i just can't wrap my head around them having intimacy when he is hooked to a maching 24/7) but then she realized that drutt would always haunt her and that she's never to have anyone
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A couple of folks offered to proofread the transcript for me, help with the German an French, if you still want to do it, PM me your e-mail and i'll send it to you.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My brief thoughts:

I really enjoyed this episode. I'll be very interested to see how it fits in to the grand scheme of the Sanctuary mythology as the season wraps up.

The shipper in me very much enjoyed the John/James and Helen/James moments. Re: Helen/James? At AT5 when someone asked AT whether Helen and Nikola ever got together, at first she said, 'no!' pretty quickly, but then backpedaled a bit and said that if it did happen, it would have been briefly after her relationship with Watson petered out after WW2. Between this and Normandy, it basically confirms Helen/James for me.

For the non-shippy stuff:

I thought this episode was beautifully crafted. Excellent script, the direction was beautiful and unintrusive, and the actors did a lovely job. It was wonderful to see the Five together (or mostly).

I was totally sucked into the story, and had a chuckle at the revisionist history. I thought they really played to the strengths of most of the characters so well. And I love nothing better than a good character piece. And if it's also a period piece? Be still my heart.

My quibbles were minor. AT's wig. *sigh* Has this woman ever worn a good wig on screen? Well, the ones in FKAC were quite nice. I guess they blew their wig budget on the prior episode? Using Robin as Will's grandfather was questionable at best IMO. It really broke through the 4th wall for me and bumped me right out of the story. And his accent kind of irked me. It was a weird combination of Brooklyn/Chicago/Gen Canadian, and made me feel 'oh here is an actor playing a part' rather than, as with the others, forgetting that they were actors playing a part.

Like I said, minor quibbles. Overall, I thought it was just beautifully done and am excited to see how the next episode makes it fit into the overall arc.
                          Last edited by MidwifeOnBoard; 26 May 2011, 01:12 PM.
                          sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            Overall, I like the style and concept of this episode. Such a breath of fresh air after the last three failed ones. I love any sort of background history related to Helen and the Five and would gladly see more episodes exploring a bit of their past.

One thing that I didnt mind horribly, but did bother me a bit was the fact that Helen wore slacks in this episode. It was a period piece, 1940's to be exact. Women just didnt wear pants during this era. They would have drawn many stares I'd think and with Helen trying to be covert, drawing eyes to her attire wouldnt have been done. The other woman spy wore a dress I noticed and probably fit in quite nicely...
                            Well women started wearing trousers much more in the war and given that Helen was in the first ever generation of women to become a Doctor / got to Oxford - I can see her trying new fashions early on (role on the swinging 60's episodes with miniskirts and kinky boots) - I did unfortunately get a bit of a Michelle of the resistance vibe and almost expected her to say ""Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
                            ----------------------------
                            You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                              Of course, everyone has their own opinion. Some people simply don't see Helen and James as a couple and the use of one term of endearment won't convince them that they are an item. But for me (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) that was confirmation that Druitt's suspicion was correct - James and Helen were together. It's true that two people who have known each other for 50+ years might call one another darling and not be lovers, but I simply do NOT see Helen using that term of endearment for a male friend. Based on when she was raised and her personality - I just don't think she would call a male friend "darling" - especially in that context of being terrified for his well-being (after the Nazi messed with his anti-aging suit). Could you see her saying that to Nigel? Biggie? Declan? I couldn't. But it didn't seem completely out of place for Helen to use the term with James. It was a little jarring because there weren't any overt hints that they were a couple - just Druitt's perception. But it worked for me because I can understand how they might have turned to each other. I bought it when Helen used the term on James and I can totally see them becoming a couple - for some period of time.
                              I can definitely see them becoming a couple, both rebounding from John's betrayal and working so closely together setting up the Sanctuary network, and it doesn't change my opinion of the ep, those scenes were fantastic. I just personally require more than 'darling' and the accusations of a jealous man for 'confirmation' of a relationship. It's the non-shipper in me. While it's undoubtedly a hint towards one, I need to see or hear something more explicit to consider it official canon.

Couple of fun things I noticed on rewatching, one of the Fox company guys was called Dunne, and it sounded like they used the Wilhelm scream when one of the Nazis was shot. Hee!

sigpic

Comment

I've seen a number of people at various places ask that same question, and I have to wonder why. We've seen her express her love & affection around all of the members of The Five. But from what we've seen & heard, Helen didn't have a romantic relationship with Griffin, Tesla, or even Adam Worth. (She did, however, mention watching the sunrise with one of The Beatles!) Plus, considering that Helen's lived long enough for two lifetimes, I'd say she's earned the right to have at least two or more serious relationships. It's better than characters these days who have a "fling of the week".

As I see it, John & Helen have a true love that will always keep them connected, plus they will forever be connected through Ashley. However, with John's penchant for evil - and him being prone to disappearing for long periods of time - Helen turned to comfort & affection from a trusted friend who was always around, had similar interests, knew the history of Helen & John, as well as being a friend to both previously. Even in this day & age, we see that type of love occurring all the time.
                                LOL! Knew I was going to be the one to catch heck for this one. I know she's been around 150+ years, but her relationship(s) with the guys (yes, I know, not Griffin or Tesla or Worth, despite Tesla's feelings) reminds me of my teen-ager. There's a group of about 3 or 4 girls and 3 or 4 guys. All have dated each other at some point or other. It just makes me giggle, is all. I guess I just like the Helen/John dynamic so much that I hate to see her with another. Although she and Tesla make me smile when they're together. Maybe I just don't like her with Watson. **ducks, prepares for catching more heck** lol
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Working...
                                X