Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Opinion/Feeling on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I think Sanctuary does better with 13 episodes. 20 is just too much work for the staff they have, too much for the effects they have.
    I think the show stands a pretty good chance. At least 50/50. I don't think it's a shoe in. But I also think it'd be doing better were it in the summer, when it's not competing against mainstream shows like Blue bloods and others.
    Sept - nov is a killer time because most network shows are new. A show like Sanctuary thrives in re-run time.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      Honestly, I think Sanctuary does better with 13 episodes. 20 is just too much work for the staff they have, too much for the effects they have.
      I think the show stands a pretty good chance. At least 50/50. I don't think it's a shoe in. But I also think it'd be doing better were it in the summer, when it's not competing against mainstream shows like Blue bloods and others.
      Sept - nov is a killer time because most network shows are new. A show like Sanctuary thrives in re-run time.
      Having seen S4, I think 13 eps fits the show better, and Amanda herself said that she feels they delivered 13 solid episodes.

As for the bold, I agree. If you look at the ratings for Eureka, W13 and Haven-- I was surprised at how low they were. Those shows air in the Summer, not the fall, and I think that if they aired in the fall like Sanctuary, we'd see similar numbers for them as we do for Sanc. I mean, there's, like, no competition in the summer with most shows being re-runs, and if you look at the ratings for S3.5, they started going up near the end of the season, and I think it's because it was getting closer to summer time, and the shows were going away.

Eureka, W13 and Haven have it easy in the summer, and again, I'd like to see how they'd do in the fall where the big shows come out to play. I think/hope things will be easier for Sanc now that shows are going on re-runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        The thing about filming for a show that is shown in the Summer. It is Cold in Canada. So if you want to have Hiatus during the winter then you become a Fall or January show. Both times of the year aren't as easy as Summer Re-run Season.

Comment

True, it is cold. but their outside tapings are at a minimum. They're not like SG1 that would spend whole weeks outside and on location.

not to say it doesn't have an effect of course, but most of their stuff is done in the studio and the green screen or their standing sets

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
            Having seen S4, I think 13 eps fits the show better, and Amanda herself said that she feels they delivered 13 solid episodes.

As for the bold, I agree. If you look at the ratings for Eureka, W13 and Haven-- I was surprised at how low they were. Those shows air in the Summer, not the fall, and I think that if they aired in the fall like Sanctuary, we'd see similar numbers for them as we do for Sanc. I mean, there's, like, no competition in the summer with most shows being re-runs, and if you look at the ratings for S3.5, they started going up near the end of the season, and I think it's because it was getting closer to summer time, and the shows were going away.

Eureka, W13 and Haven have it easy in the summer, and again, I'd like to see how they'd do in the fall where the big shows come out to play. I think/hope things will be easier for Sanc now that shows are going on re-runs.
            My thoughts exactly. I think it's unfair to compare Sanctuary's ratings with SyFy's summer shows. The competition just isn't the same.

Briangate78: Well, one thing a network looks at is how steady a show is in ratings. Sanctuary has been pretty steady all season, even when they were moved to Tuesday for one night they still maintained a 0.4 18-49 demo, and even had a couple of 0.5's this season......(snipped) ....My opinion, I think it will be renewed for one final season, with a reduced episode order.
            That's encouraging.
            Renewal = . Reduced episodes = IF it's to be the last season I'd really like 13 episodes (which really isn't that many for a full year) and a proper send-off.

Abnormal: Absolutely! But as I told Majorsal earlier, even though Acolyte was not as good as Chimera, it was still much better than the few episodes which aired before Chimera, so I'm glad people gave it a shot when Acolyte was aired, and not Fugue or Icebreaker. I hope new viewers (if there were any) liked the episode as much as I did and will be there next Friday. I'm pretty sure if the ratings stabilized next week it could be enough for a renewal.
            Yeah, it's a good one to possibly get more casual viewers interested enough to give it another try.

Rocky89: If you take into account it aired on Tues with not a lot of promotion, it has a lot of bigger shows on that night, and that it was short notice, it did surprsigly well. I really believe that if Chimera aired on Fri (the way it should have) it would have been a good rated episode.
            I think the ratings could have been quite good in its usual Friday slot if a lot of people hadn't already seen it on Tuesday. I just remember the ratings (I think RoX posted them in the ratings thread) for SyFy's Tuesday Christmas shows by comparison and that makes me feel better. Does it do any good to add Tuesday's and Friday's ratings together? LOL.
            sigpic
            Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

yeah i wonder how many people were lost because of that. i know i watched it tuesday and rewatched the beginning friday but ended up doing something else.
              sigpic

Comment

This is off the subject, but if they did give Will a cool abnormal power permanetly. Would that take away from his character?

Comment

will needs to stay normal. we need to have at least one 'human' around hte place

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by charles582 View Post
                    This is off the subject, but if they did give Will a cool abnormal power permanetly. Would that take away from his character?
                    I used to think he needed to stay human, but now I don't really see why he would need too. His specialty in psychiatry is no longer used. He's in the field or dealing with the world domination events more than treating abnormals. So now I'm of the opinion - yes give the man some type of permanent power ... something that would give him a more interesting story arc.

In the beginning he was the new guy, the human, viewers were supposed to relate to as we learned about the sanctuary world ... but that's no longer the case and now that we are in s4 no longer necessary.
                    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 14 December 2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I agree with Skydiver; Will needs to stay normal.

He's already trying way too hard to be cool and be one of the gang, so him getting a 'power' would be over the top. Plus I don't think he deserves one. We know how The Five got their powers and they were (mostly) smart enough to handle them and they knew what they were doing etc; Biggie has always been a Bigfoot and we know he's had his fair share of problems in the real world; Henry has had a difficult childhood (abandoned and taken in by Magnus) and basically struggled with the possibility of changing while growing up and has now finally accepted who he is.

It would be very cheap to just hand Will a power to make him an abnormal too, especially after all the times he's temporarily been abnormal. Not to mention that it would mean giving him more screen time to show how he's dealing with it and hearing more whining and complaining from him...

There's a good chance I'd be completely turned off Sanctuary if they go down that road.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by charles582 View Post
                        to me its not so much an abnormal power, but it would be cool if they bring back his psychology thing from earlier seasons (and he'll be like the guy in the mentalist).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                          to me its not so much an abnormal power, but it would be cool if they bring back his psychology thing from earlier seasons (and he'll be like the guy in the mentalist).
                          Yes I would like to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            I agree with Skydiver; Will needs to stay normal.

He's already trying way too hard to be cool and be one of the gang, so him getting a 'power' would be over the top. Plus I don't think he deserves one. We know how The Five got their powers and they were (mostly) smart enough to handle them and they knew what they were doing etc; Biggie has always been a Bigfoot and we know he's had his fair share of problems in the real world; Henry has had a difficult childhood (abandoned and taken in by Magnus) and basically struggled with the possibility of changing while growing up and has now finally accepted who he is.

It would be very cheap to just hand Will a power to make him an abnormal too, especially after all the times he's temporarily been abnormal. Not to mention that it would mean giving him more screen time to show how he's dealing with it and hearing more whining and complaining from him...

There's a good chance I'd be completely turned off Sanctuary if they go down that road.
                            Actually the Five didn't have a clue what they were doing. They had no idea what the side effects would be, or even if there would be side effects. (One scene of a very concerned/ worried John not wanting Helen to take the risk of the injection comes to mind in a series of flashbacks about that night) ...They injected the source blood and waited to see the results ...

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                              Actually the Five didn't have a clue what they were doing. They had no idea what the side effects would be, or even if there would be side effects. (One scene of a very concerned/ worried John not wanting Helen to take the risk of the injection comes to mind in a series of flashbacks about that night) ...They injected the source blood and waited to see the results ...
                              I meant along the lines of them having knowledge of Vampires and other Abnormals. Plus they were all very smart and had done their research, even if the consequences of the injections were unclear they at least knew something might change and you know, it wouldn't just kill them or something.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                                Yes I liked how he tried to understand and reassure abnormals in the first season. We're SO far from that now...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X