No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Season 4 Ratings Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So they canceled the show for no obvious reason? Good ratings, streched seasons, so nnot too much costs. Not good for Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
      And was more expensive.
      Should we compare Sanctuary to Eureka? Which one is cheaper to produce? Eureka got cancelled even though it had over 2 mil viewers...
      I don't think so for two main reasons
      1. it aired in Sumertime
      2. it's produced under the NBC Universal umbrella of companies of which Syfy is a part

Performance wise you can't really compare because of airing in different seasons Summer has a lot less competition than Fall. It also aired the last season over two years the first part on a Friday and the second part on a Wednesday (I think).

Renewal wise being produced by the Network means they have a completely different model on which they base their decisions.

Whilst I watch Eureka, I don't pay a lot of attention to their other details so I don't know what their budget is, does anyone know?

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
      So they canceled the show for no obvious reason? Good ratings, streched seasons, so nnot too much costs. Not good for Sanctuary.
      I'm sure they did have good reasons however we aren't privvy to them. I'd hazard a guess that with Comcast taking over that they have some pretty hard and fast parameters that they expect their businesses to adhere to and suspect they want a quick return on money meaning unless a show is a huge runaway success (ie not airing on a niche station like Syfy) then they cut their reducing profits at 5 years and reinvest in other potential profit making shows. There is a significantly higher fiscal involvement when the network produces a show as opposed to merely paying a licensing fee.

Originally posted by Abnormal
      I was thinking that if we do need to compare Sanctuary with another show, then to me that would be Merlin. Merlin is produced by the BBC and Syfy only buys the rights to air the episodes. If I understand correctly, that's Sanctuary's situation too.

As far as I remember, Merlin got about the same ratings as Sanctuary, but I'm not sure.

Are the two comparable or not?
      Yeah, Merlin is closer to Sanctuary and it aired on Friday at 10 but it airs in a different season, Winter. It also is produced under a different model, a govt backed one.

Sanctuary averaged 1,457,500 Oct through Dec Friday at 10
      Merlin averaged 1,493,231 Jan through Apr Friday at 10
      Sanctuary averaged 1,015,900 Apr through Jun Monday at 10

A fair performance comparison would be to Sanctuary itself during last fall where it averaged 1,457,500 and debuted at 1,787,000 and averaged 21.7% above the Syfy primetime weekly average of 1,167,667.

Compared to it's single outing so far of 1,380,000 which was 4.2% above the Syfy primetime weekly average of 1,325,000.

It wasn't by any means good for a season premiere but it wasn't super bad either.

I'm hoping for an increase this week but I sure ain't holding my breath.
      -

Comment

Any ratings prediction for the next episode?
        I thought the premiere was great so I predict a slight uptick
        1.5 million viewers and 0.6 demo

Comment

So, out of curiosity, I went to TVBTN and checked out it's article on Haven being renewed, and one dude asked this- "But if they renewed this with a .5, then Sanctuary should be good as well, right?"

Not trying to compare Sanctuary to Haven, I'm just-- what's Sally call it?... Oh, giving y'all some food for thought on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
            Any ratings prediction for the next episode?
            I thought the premiere was great so I predict a slight uptick
            1.5 million viewers and 0.6 demo
            Premieres are almost always the high of the year and I think they will lose some of the young viewers they had hangover from Haven. So I go lower with a

1.1 million viewers and 0.4 demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
              Premieres are almost always the high of the year and I think they will lose some of the young viewers they had hangover from Haven. So I go lower with a

1.1 million viewers and 0.4 demo.
              I'm thinking maybe not all the fans knew about Sanctuary being back on Friday

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
                Premieres are almost always the high of the year<snip>
                True. However after the S3.5 premiere the ratings went up some 200,000 odd and this week's has Edge in it again and so might entice a few of the wrestling crowd to remain watching.

I'm hoping it will go up so I'm not going to make a prediction and jinx it !
                -

Comment

What does this "demo" mean?

Comment

What does this "demo" mean?
                    Demo = demographic. Advertisers will target people they want to sell their products to so details of viewer age, gender, income etc are collected.

The demo most talked about on TVByTheNumbers and here is the Adults 18-49. One of the larger target groups. However people tend to forget that TVByTheNumbers are dedicated to analysing the Broadcast figures and use this demo as their measuring stick and the reasoning they use does not necessarily transfer over to cable stations, even less for the niche ones.

It's an important demographic but Syfy happens to be stronger in the A25-54 demo generally.

Some people still seem to want a hard and fast rule of Programme X has a rating/total viewership of Y and so will be renewed but unfortunately it is never that simple as each show is different. Sanctuary was renewed for S4 on Syfy while averaging a rating of 0.4 in the A18-49 demo and 1,457,500 total viewers so possibly anything around that should be favourable for further renewal on Syfy.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                      True. However after the S3.5 premiere the ratings went up some 200,000 odd and this week's has Edge in it again and so might entice a few of the wrestling crowd to remain watching.

I'm hoping it will go up so I'm not going to make a prediction and jinx it !
                      You are EXACTLY right about EDGE. Woohoooo EDGE, whoever you are but wrestling fans love, bring us "BIG MONEY"..... "BIG MONEY"

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        Demo = demographic. Advertisers will target people they want to sell their products to so details of viewer age, gender, income etc are collected.

The demo most talked about on TVByTheNumbers and here is the Adults 18-49. One of the larger target groups. However people tend to forget that TVByTheNumbers are dedicated to analysing the Broadcast figures and use this demo as their measuring stick and the reasoning they use does not necessarily transfer over to cable stations, even less for the niche ones.

It's an important demographic but Syfy happens to be stronger in the A25-54 demo generally.

Some people still seem to want a hard and fast rule of Programme X has a rating/total viewership of Y and so will be renewed but unfortunately it is never that simple as each show is different. Sanctuary was renewed for S4 on Syfy while averaging a rating of 0.4 in the A18-49 demo and 1,457,500 total viewers so possibly anything around that should be favourable for further renewal on Syfy.
                        Thank you, very interesting. I didn´t know that.

Comment

Going to be the optimistic one and say over 1.5 Million viewers, and a steady 0.5 in the 18 to 49 demo for tonight's ep, that should be good enough for a 5th season pick-up, imo. That is if the show is not costing too much more from Season 4.
                          sigpic

Comment

When will we know the actual ratings? And why does it take so long, in Germany you have the ratings next day

Comment

When will we know the actual ratings? And why does it take so long, in Germany you have the ratings next day
                              It is the next working day. Which is Friday / Monday.

We also have to wait until the reports get funnelled to the people who report them online.
                              -

Comment

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-more/107497/

Viewership (million, Live+SD) = 1.323

Adults 18-49 rating (Live+SD) = 0.4

Still good.

Comment

Working...
                                X