Uprising (402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you hm23 & RoX.

Does anyone think that Helen may have made some wise investments during her second trip around?
    I had thought she might take advantage...subtley...of knowing what to invest in and how to save her pennies in case of emergencies...such as going rogue.
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
      Thank you hm23 & RoX.

Does anyone think that Helen may have made some wise investments during her second trip around?
      I had thought she might take advantage...subtley...of knowing what to invest in and how to save her pennies in case of emergencies...such as going rogue.
      That would be interfering with the future - the butterfly efffect

Comment

Thank you hm23 & RoX.

No. She was very concerned about not interfering with the timeline. That would be interfering.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I really liked this episode even though Magnus was missing for most of it. I found Abby tolerable in this episode and I'm not that sad that Kate is leaving I didn't really like that character that much anyway. Now I can't to see what Magnus tells Will what she did for 113 years even though we know she won't tell him everything.
          My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
            UGH ABBY. STFU. Magnus is presumed dead and global xenocide and anarchy are a real threat and she thinks it appropriate to talk about her exes and her office and go "HOLLOW EARTH?????LIKE HOLLOW EARTH????
            Exactly! For a moment I was afraid she’d start doing a cheerleading dance and spell out ‘Hollow Earth’ while waving around her pompoms.

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
            Guess I was right about Kate going with Garis. I`m kind of disappointed that they`re semi-sloving everything by having the go back to Hollow Earth. It could`ve been really interesting to see them trying to adapt to the surface.
            Yes, I thought it was rather odd considering all the effort and sacrifices they all seemed to have made to come to the surface…

Originally posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post
            Oh my goodness, that creature thing that was arguing with Garris was down right creepy!!!
            Which one? The lizard guy that knocked Henry unconscious?

I too was surprised that Helen told Will that she'd been gone for 113 years. I can only imagine how much he's gonna pester her for more information now...
            I’m already dreading those moments…

So, what exactly was controlling the abnormals?
            Very good question! Hopefully we’ll learn more about it and they don’t just ‘forget’ about it.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            As to Magnus waiting, I think she was staying back to allow Will to handle things. She likely needed to know that he could handle stuff if she died or the such and she was letting him do it. And had Henry not found the signal she may have remained hidden until it was all over.
            Agreed, although I think she would have been very disappointed if Henry had failed to notice.

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
            2. Sounds like Abby has Mulder's old office. (Hope she's not screwing up any X-files!) She seem to also have his skill for hacking into parts of the bureau's system she shouldn't be in. If she continues to be useful - or becomes Mulder-esque - I may learn to tolerate her.
            Personally I thought the change in her was way too big; from ditzy cheerleader to hacking government files…

5. Magnus looked so happy to be back! I'd say glowing, even. I knew it was her the minute Henry started talking about a piggyback (that Will wouldn't know how to do, no offense) I KNEW Mama Magnus was back in town.
            Yeah, it was so obvious it was Magnus (and that she was allowing them to ‘see’ her).

Bother? No. She did need to lay low and come back quietly. You know, just sort of be "found in the shuffle" as far as the big guys are all concerned, since she was officially MIA. I think she timed it well. She had a great handle on what was going on because she could look it over without constant interruption and Will arguing and pouting and distraction. Then she could get it moving in the right direction.
            Yeah, seemed like she was on top of everything and ready to jump in if necessary.

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
            I gotta say, the Helen-reveal was not so great as I imagined (I guess I'll be doing an episode rewrite/tag fanfic soon *sigh*), because after something like 113 years, being so freaking nonchalant about being home seems like such a major copout. With tensions running high, emotions all over the place, and the fate of the world on her shoulders STILL, I think she (and by she, I mean *WE*) deserve a little bit of a heavier reveal than "what does it take to get a decent cup of tea around here?".
            I think she chose for this reveal to not take away from the seriousness of the “invasion” they were in, after all she basically revealed it once everything was settled and she and Will were alone.

(…)I was thinking that she would indeed make a very good ace-in-the-hole for Will.
            Oh wow, I thought the exaxt opposite when he mentioned her being his ace-in-the-hole! I was pretty sure the Sanctuary Network and the rest of the world was doomed after that scene… okay, she did deliver and they pulled it off, but I didn’t find it credible at all.

Will also did a remarkable job, all things considered. He kept his head, even when he kept smashing it into brick walls when the government closed up its doors.
            I felt like he was playing dress up with Momma Magnus’ clothes and I imagine the world leaders and everyone he tried to contact felt the same. But who knows, maybe this is an eye opener for him? After all, no one seemed to know he was Magnus’ second-in-command and actually held the position of the head of the network. Once again he was taking the easy way out by letting Abby do everything for him… what did he contribute in this situation? He needs to man up and get serious about being Magnus’ protégé so that when he has to step in for her again, people will actually take him serious (and he will hopefully know what to do unlike this time).

--Why did Magnus not reveal herself from the get-go? Why not open the doors that were automatically closed to Will when the world started going to heck in a handbasket?
            Considering she had already figured out what the abnormals were doing and allowed Henry to ‘see’ her, I’d say she was on top of the situation the entire time, ready to take over if necessary. I imagine she’s been very busy these past 113 years and realized that she would have to take the Sanctuary Network into a new direction once she’d get back, so she would have to know Will would have what it takes to go against the government/UN.

--Why is no one at the Sanctuary getting pissed that the reciprocal agreements have been tossed aside so easily? The government tried to shut the Sanctuary out of Carentan, and then the Sanctuary was casually dismissed when the surface was being invaded, when at the very least the Sanctuary would know best how to kill the Abnormals if need be. Why isn't the Sanctuary calling out the government on the BS?
            Considering Magnus is planning to go rogue, I imagine she isn’t even going to give the government another chance. She’s been doing this for a long time and she’s hinted at dealing with governments et cetera in various episodes, so I guess she knows what to expect and endure in order to keep their support.

--How did the Sanctuary not know about the secret "Abnormal Final Solution" testing out of the Wyoming server farm? You'd think that Magnus would know better than to blindly trust ANY government by this point, so don't you think she'd have people looking for files like that? And if it's on a server that any old FBI agent can access, then it wouldn't have been too hard for Henry to find.
            I wondered about this myself… I assumed the data Will and Abby found wasn’t something they’d set up since the abnormals from Hollow Earth reached the surface. As a matter of fact, it looked like some testing had already happened (and failed) and they had pictures and everything about the abnormal already. Or maybe it’s something Magnus found out about during her 113-year-long vacation and that’s why she’s going to throw the rulebook away?

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
            I liked Abby is this episode as well. Her shock over Hollow Earth felt realistic for someone still new to the Sanctuary craziness, and it was nicely balanced with her utilizing her contacts and getting Will the info he needed. Though now I'm a little suspicious of her having these channels into so many intelligence agencies, Interpol, CIA, etc, and now the Sanctuary via Will.
            I don’t agree with the first part, but I share your suspicions…

Originally posted by The Collector View Post
            I'm not so much buying that Magnus would just rejoin her timeline where she left off.. especially a Magnus that knows just about everything that happens for 113 years. I mean she's basically no one... she could have possibly gotten away with assassinating Hitler.
            Well, we already learned killing off Hitler had no effect in Normandy.

Ooooh, and doesn't his little beastie have a thing about electricity? I hope it makes him sane for a bit. The last conversation he had with Helen in Praxis was NO good. No good. We need reconciliation. I don't necessarily want them together, just at peace.
            I’m not sure there is such a thing a peace when it comes to Magnus and Druitt, maybe there once was long before they messed around with the blood and were happy together. Seems to me like there were only pieces of that left throughout the last three seasons when there were unguarded or distressing moments between them. We don’t even know how Magnus kicking PastJohn’s ass affected their relationship and if he will find out about it being her if/when he comes back.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            Like others have said, this was just an ok episode, not one to put on my rewatch list. For some reason the episodes without Helen aren't very strong episodes. Which is too bad for Amanda, since she does a good job directing.
            Yeah, AT does a great job on and off screen and it’s a shame the rest of the crew can’t even do a great enough job on screen when she’s doing her directing-thing.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            I had a problem with how Helen gave Will praise for how he handled the situation, it just seemed forced; as did the Sanctuary network making Will temporary head It should have been Declan or someone with more experience. Another line that made me roll my eyes was how Will metioned having Abby as his second
            To me it sounded almost as if Magnus herself was a bit surprised with Will’s work and I wasn’t completely convinced by her fake tone either. It even seemed like she frowned in displeasure/confusion/disapproval earlier when Lillian mentioned all the reports she’d been bombarded with.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            The bickering got REALLY old REALLY fast. I mean REALLY old.

overall, between will and lilian and villanova....really old, really fast. How do they not figure out and learn what's going on? how the heck do they think they're gonna handle those thousands of people? and the UN sanctions murdering thousands in cold blood? Like an air strike will go unnoticed?
            I found the UN and military action quite strange mostly because of the reasons you’ve mentioned, but I’ll just go with the “they’re panicked and want everything to just go away”.

Originally posted by Dutchess View Post
            At the end of season 3, it was a MAJOR cliffhanger. I saw a lot of potential with the Hollow Earth theme. The problem I have with Sanctuary (a minor one at that) is the fact that story lines tend to end abruptly. I am not much of an action person, but I was expecting a lot more Hollow Earth action- at least a minor war spanning more episodes.
            Yes, I agree although I’m sure there will be mentions of Hollow Earth (and Kate) throughout the season even if they have put that story line mostly to rest. I just thought it was a very simple solution.

Yes and no… she had to have some currency to live for a 113 years and possibly opened up a big bank account with a high interest rate for the next 113 years. She couldn’t have played the market a lot/enough without possibly interfering with the future. So yeah, she has a secret money stash for when they’re going rogue but I’m not sure about what kinds of investments she’s made.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Microsoft
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

After reading through everyone's posts I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who thought the end of the abnormal insurgence was a bit... anticlimactic?

While I enjoyed how the ep was shot most of the time and acknowledge that AT did a great job directing it, I was disappointed with this episode.

1. The (extra) abnormals in the camp weren't played very well and the fight scenes looked ridiculous! There was hardly any blood despite the 'refugees' kicking the crap out of the military dudes. Even the dead one that was still being kicked by a random guy didn't look like he'd been attacked, let alone dead. With the exception of it showing Garris being respectful of the dead, I didn't think that particular scene added anything to the episode and it would have probably been better had it been deleted.

2. Who killed Thelo and why? Where did that grenade (I think?) come from? How was he able to mobilize everyone against the humans and then after his death they all meekly followed Garris as if they hadn't been violent and killing people hours ago.

3. What's up with Abby? First she's the ditzy cheerleader again, then she reacts as if she wouldn't be able to help Will at all only to suddenly have very good connections and getting into the cloud! It's ridiculous. What's even worse is that she was apparently able to gain access to everything, despite hacking not being part of her job and no one even noticed her activity on such classified documents? Yeah right. I'm not sure where they're going with her character; either they're trying to make her stronger and better by adding some usefulness to her instead of mere annoyance, or they're setting her up to turn out to be a spy or something. The whole thing made me very suspicious of her.

4. I thought it was weird not to show Magnus asking/ordering Kate (or someone else first?) to basically be the Sanctuary liaison to Hollow Earth. Maybe Garris&co need more than just a new government... how about a Hollow Earth-version of the FBI? I know just the person to help them with that, who probably wouldn't be missed...

5. Was it just me or did the lizard guy that knocked out Henry look like a recycled version of the lizard at the Sanctuary who's frightened of strangers (Sanctuary for All)/the one in the robe (Nubbins)? And I think I also spotted the troll from Endgame in the camp (just before Henry getting into the truck)... The lizard looked ridiculous, especially when fighting with Henry.

6. I had expected Magnus to tell Will from what we'd seen in the spoiler vids, but am still disappointed that she did. Although it has made me curious about what her deep dark secret is if that isn't it.

7. Will as Head of the Sanctuary Network was just wrong... he doesn't have the experience nor does he have what it takes to replace Magnus. He couldn't even get the right people on the phone, for crying out loud! In the end his giggly girlfriend had to pull strings to help him. I hope this helps him realize that he should focus more on his actual role as Magnus' protege instead of hanging with the gang and having fun all the time. Maybe then people will take his call in dire emergencies.

8. I fear for all classified data from the government if Abby could get to it this easily.

9. I thought Will and Abby used to do the same work at the FBI? How come she knows this stuff about back-ups (which sounded ridiculous - why wouldn't those have the same security as the original?) and is able to pull strings while he just sits there looking stupid?

10. What was up with the unsuccessful results of hybrid trial 105-A? Has the government been experiment with abnormals all this time? How come no one knew? Not the Sanctuaries but also not The Cabal apparently...

11. I thought it was kind of sad that Magnus once again had to come to the rescue and yet had to let Will take most of the credit. It was really her discovery of the patterns and Biggie, Kate and Henry's doing at the camp with Fallon and the empath.

12. I like how Magnus was reintroduced and how she made sure to keep everyone focused on the situation at hand by deflecting attention off her.

13. The whole "please let me do this" and "no we're gonna kill 'em all" things were getting boring. I actually caught myself looking at how much time there was remaining, hoping that we were getting closer to the solution and thus end of the episode.

14. Will and Abby were like the high school jock and the cheerleader when they were going on and on about Hollow Earth and later on when they were talking about what a great team they made... only Will is more the nerd-type and he didn't really contribute anything to the whole situation.

15. I get that with mentioning Abby's exes they were trying to show that she's a confident, mature and friendly woman who's had relationships in the past that apparently always ended on good terms... it's just that it had the opposite effect on me. She was pulling strings from her exes, who apparently have a better position at the agency or wherever they worked, unlike her who isn't very remarkable despite being an FBI agent. When we were first introduced to her she basically begged Will to help her or she'd be fired; it's like she constantly needs a man to support her or help her out and that she's not afraid of using them to get what she needs. And/or she dates them or just jumps into bed with them...

16. Oh! Why would a simple fence hold all those abnormals? That was probably the stupidest thing from that entire camp.

17. Why would the government etc want to kill all the Hollow Earth abnormals? In case they've forgotten Praxis was much more technologically advanced and they could really learn from them.

There were some other things but I forgot about those... all in all I thought it was a mediocre episode, especially after the awesomeness that is Tempus. I can only hope that the next episodes will be better and that while AT does an awesome job as an actress and director, the rest of the gang will start earning their pay checks because she seems to be doing all the hard work and making those episodes excellent. Or maybe they should start looking for new writers... who wrote this one?
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

There were a lot of plot holes.

who was allegedly controlling the abbies?

abby seemingly being changed to suit the plot (i can imagine maybe hte crit about her being too goofy has been heard so they're going for some retcon?)

villanova and lillian acting OOC to up the tension and 'drama'.

Will's inability to talk to anyone. There's something else at play to have him cut off so quickly.

Yeah, Kate's departure seemed kinda 'oh by the way'.

I do think that, especially compared to Tempus, this one is about a 3 outta 5. Not thrilling, not fantastic, rather by the numbers and plot set up.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think the plot holes were necessary to get the season arc going. Now it's just up to the series to get them all filled and smoothed out by the end of the season

Comment

Originally posted by The Collector View Post
                      I'm not so much buying that Magnus would just rejoin her timeline where she left off.. especially a Magnus that knows just about everything that happens for 113 years. I mean she's basically no one... she could have possibly gotten away with assassinating Hitler.
                      One thing to realize is that because of WWII, the US become the superpower that it is today. With most of Europe in ruin after the war, and the US industries revved up during the war that effectively pushed the US into dominance that it holds today. Stopping WWII would have prevented or possibly slowed down US dominance. Something Helen clearly doesn't want to change.

Comment

Originally posted by ajiva View Post
                        One thing to realize is that because of WWII, the US become the superpower that it is today. With most of Europe in ruin after the war, and the US industries revved up during the war that effectively pushed the US into dominance that it holds today. Stopping WWII would have prevented or possibly slowed down US dominance. Something Helen clearly doesn't want to change.
                        I think it's obvious that it goes against Helen's nature to alter the course of history-- otherwise, her sacrifice would have been for nothing. But what I want to know is whether this new Helen wouldn't have profited from her prior knowledge. Accounts in the Caymans wouldn't have been anything new, and she could have earned money via investment anonymously.

Or, conversely, how much of the history she'd lived through the first time might have been the result of a prior Helen going back in time? I mean, what if the Helen we know was simply another Helen in the loop of "going-back-in-time" Helens? What if the James Watson we saw in S1 had known another Magnus from the future? And what if the possible relationship we saw in Normandy between James and Helen had begun because James had known the strong woman he'd seen her become? (I feel a fanfic coming on... *sigh*)

Comment

Just finished watching. Ok, I didn't watch the whole thing because I feel asleep during quite a bit of it. What did I think. Last week I loved the episode. This week I couldn't even stay awake. The Helen reveal even bored me. So much potential for that.... gone. I knew about Kate leaving but did it have to feel so "by the way. Kate is gone". grrrr.

Too many weak episodes last year. They have a weak episode the second of this season. Not good. I need to rewatch to catch the part I slept through. I'm just not interested enough to hit the play button.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                            That would be interfering with the future - the butterfly efffect
                            And yet she has a 56 Bordeux...hmm, wondering if the whole grandfather paradox is convenient only when it needs to be.
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

And yet she has a 56 Bordeux...hmm, wondering if the whole grandfather paradox is convenient only when it needs to be.
                              That could have been sitting in her wine cellar for the last 113+ years, she didn't say she had recently acquired it. I also doubt she would have been able to move everything she got the past 113 years into the Sanctuary without anyone noticing...
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
                                Just finished watching. Ok, I didn't watch the whole thing because I feel asleep during quite a bit of it. What did I think. Last week I loved the episode. This week I couldn't even stay awake. The Helen reveal even bored me. So much potential for that.... gone. I knew about Kate leaving but did it have to feel so "by the way. Kate is gone". grrrr.

Too many weak episodes last year. They have a weak episode the second of this season. Not good. I need to rewatch to catch the part I slept through. I'm just not interested enough to hit the play button.
                                it was probably the endless villanova/lilian/will bickering. It almost felt like they had a half hour's worth of material that they stretched out to last 43. wasn't bad, per se, just tiring and repetitive. Like no mention of other countries' militia getting a bit fussed about their land being bombed by the un?????? Isn't that kinda one big thing with the UN? They're usually mean to peacekeep, not massacre.

I know lilian and villanova were scared spitless, but neither of them balked at genocide and the mass murder of civilians? Like cruise missiles going off was going to pass by unnoticed.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X