Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a little mission for Sam fans….As some have mentioned, Amanda's birthday is at the end of August. And it is traditional to collect and send birthday greetings to her. However, since Amanda's site is less a fan site now and more an official and professional one, there's a decision not to collect wishes via that site.

So Julia has asked me to help spread the word for her. So….birthday wishes for Amanda.

Starting July 25 through August 15 (and ONLY these dates please) you can send BRIEF birthday wishes – no attachment, just words please – to [email protected] . Please put 'Amanda Wishes' in the subject line so they don't get lost.

She will then collect them and put them together and get them to Amanda for her birthday.

so....advanced heads up. Please do not send anything until the 25th (those that know Julia know that shes in the middle of her torch run at the moment.)

Again, no attachments, no artwork please. And permission certainly granted to spread this message anywhere you want. Forward your little hearts out, give it a tweet, do a little friendly Facebook Spammage. Let's see how many greetings we can round up huh?

Any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

OT humo(u)r:
      Spoiler:
      Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Sure, anything is possible. I could meet Prince Harry and sweep him off the feet and move into buckingham palace......but ain't very danged likely.

You cougar you!
      Last edited by suse; 23 July 2012, 05:47 PM.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Amanda Tapping Interview from SeriesTV Magazine

Article is in French but was translated to English - any problems with translation can be blamed on Google Translator

Article with pictures

Article text only

Spoiler:
        Page 46

“An actor is more centered on the emotions, it's a trade based on things visceral. Being a film director is a trade more linear.”

After being Samantha Carter in Stargate series, and then Helen Magnus in Sanctuary, recently cancelled at the end of season four, Amanda Tapping is focused for now on her role as director of the series Primieval New World. Before diving into the broader issue that we dedicate this series as expected, Amanda Tapping has agreed to reconsider her career and her future in the soap ...

Page 47
        From Behind the Scenes: Amanda Tapping Sanctuary

SeriesTV: For several years, you work at a time as an actress, director and producer ... which are very different professions. Did each one use a different part of your brain?

Amanda Tapping: Yes! An actor is more centered on the emotions, it's a trade based on things visceral. Being a film director is a trade more linear, which requires a lot of organization - in any case, this is how I work, personally, as a director! (laughs). I do not know if this is the case for everyone. You have to have a good vision. This is certainly a creative craft, but there are also millions of aspects to manage. you have to plan your days, making a film shot lists, ensure that all the necessary elements will be there, that each scene can be filmed without problem ... As for working as a producer ... It's quite cerebral, it's a job that requires being thorough and taking into account a multitude of details. we must also ensure that everyone is happy - the players, the team shooting, that of production ... The things we did not manage everything as a player, or film director. turn what is happening behind the machine, which feeds the engine of machine ... an actor is somehow the steam coming out of a train. The film director is the conductor of the train in question. And the producer provides the coal that powers the engine: it must ensure that the engine works well. These are really very different trades.

SeriesTV: What aspects of these different trades do you prefer?

Amanda Tapping: And as an actress, especially during these last four years spent interpreting Helen Magnus ... It was a character so unique, a great incarnation ... It was so different from the norm, unpredictable ... I did not always know how to interpret it. And as a person, she always represented for me a kind of mystery ... Me, Amanda, I did not always understand the decisions she made. But for Helen, these decisions made sense. Interpreting this character was thus, both a joy and a challenge. As a producer on Sanctuary, I mostly managed aspects of postproduction. I love to work with the production team, talk to the broadcasters, take care of the financing ... But what I liked most, it was the post-production phase: an episode up, adjust color, sound ... It's so fascinating! This is something that I love.

SeriesTV: Does being an actress affect the way you lead your life? Were you living things way more intense ...

Amanda Tapping: Probably ... I think actors tend to be more open, and suddenly, living things way more intense. I feel things more deeply and I think that's why many actors become actors. For example, I cry more easily than most people, without shame. I hurt more easily than most people. And by that, I do not mean that it's better ... Perhaps even that the opposite is true and we all need to go see a shrink, which probably is true! But as an actor, yes: I think we're more receptive to the sum of things that falls on you in a day! (laughs)

SeriesTV: How do you feel when you suddenly can not play a character that represents you for years, like that of Helen Magnus? And sorry for the question, given that the decision regarding Sanctuary is very recent ... It is apparent there a form of mourning?

Page 48
        Amanda Tapping: Oh my God, yes ... It's a feeling of total loss. When we heard, that we would never that series again for another season, I was here on Primeval New World, filming an episode. It was super hard ... I went home and I cried. And in a way, it keeps on affecting me inwaves ... I came, for example, to present the Leo Awards with Robin Dunne, and we were both behind the scenes, and suddenly we realized we would not be nominees for these awards for Sanctuary ... After being a nominee 18 times ... it was super weird. It was a series of hard knocks, and it's still a sad period.

SeriesTV: Strangely, many actors are shy, introverted ... and choose a job that exposes you lot. The eyes of others, critics ... Even today with the dominance of the Internet. You are also rather shy by nature ... How do you explain this paradox?

Amanda Tapping: It’s true, you've interviewed me on numerous occasions, and henceforth we know each other well, for a long time ... and it's true: I am a shy person. I am often nervous in public as I am surrounded by people I do not know ... ill at ease in social situations. So, maybe that's why you became an actor, because you're nervous in your own life, because it's easier to be someone other than oneself. .. I was embarrassed and such ill at ease on my wedding day! (laughs) I kept thinking, Do not look at me, it's too personal a moment! Whereas if I had a player the role of a woman who gets married to the screen in a movie, I'd be super horny! Wear a wedding dress, walk up to the altar of the church, etc. .. This is really something strange.

SeriesTV: What inspires you to become a director? Was there was a special time, a shutter button?

Amanda Tapping: While I was working on Stargate, Season 2, Michael Shanks and I requested to direct an episode. he had the green light to direct in Season three, and I had to wait until Season 7 ... Let's just say it's an interesting difference. And suddenly, I still feel like doing it! (Laughter) And the reality is that I had to wait for years and years to get there, and I am the only woman to have worked as director on Stargate SG1

SeriesTV: Which brings us to my next question ... There still, today, many more men than women in this profession. In your opinion, is it because of the very nature of the job or because it is a kind of preserve, dominated by men?

Page 49

Amanda Tapping:: It’s preserved. And there are many departments on a shoot or you rarely see women ... Cameramen, sound engineers, film directors ... And it's not a criticism per se, it's just reality, a fact. That said, things change in a short term ... There are more than before, and that a woman has won the Oscar for best director a few years ago [Kathryn Bigelow in 2009] is something important ... Even though it's also rather sad that only one woman in Oscar history has won in this category. And I think it's a shame, because women bring something different as directors, a different sensitivity ... and I think we're more organized than men! (laughs) Anyway, this is my personal opinion!

SeriesTV: You have worked on series that have lasted for years. Suddenly, they correspond in some way at different periods of your life ... can you describe what they represent for you?

On Stargate I was growing ... Gaining maturity, developing myself as a woman. I became a mother while I was acting on this series. This is an era during which I grew as a person and as an actress - Sanctuary, it was a very different period of my life. I was more at ease in my role as mother, wife, actress ... and Martin Wood and Damian Kindler so it was implicated, both professionally and personally, in the series ... I was ready for that.

Interpreting the role of Helen Magnus and assuming all responsibilities of production, and now, to be honest, I do not know at all what the next phase of my life is supposed to be. I am a little mid-water, lost ... working as director on Primeval: New world is ending... and the truth is that I have no idea what I will do after - and it makes me completely like a pinball! It is really weird because I'm working on the series for 15 years, and this and the first year I will not be on the screen in a series. Last week, I watched the news program schedules, launches for 2012-2013, and I was not among them ... So, perhaps that I should change everything, go make soap on an island off Vancouver (laughs)

SeriesTV: Last question ... for you, what would be the ideal situation? Work again at 100% of a series - as an actress, director and / or producer or work like right now, through the production a few episodes of a known series?

Amanda Tapping: I like stability, it is something that I discovered of my own personality. I do not like the unknown ... and I love the world of a TV Series, the home atmosphere that prevails there. I love knowing exactly where I am: having a break of three months, and find themselves all in February. and now I do not know ... I do not know if I should take a vacation in July, remain available for fear of missing out on a job great ... and it is a situation that I hate: I do not know

-Article by Caroline Terree

sigpic

Comment

well, i would have said Wills, but while I may be a cougar I ain't no homewrecker

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            well, i would have said Wills, but while I may be a cougar I ain't no homewrecker
            Nah, I'd pick the redhead every single time
            sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
            - R.E.M.

Comment

I just got the 4th season on DVD.

Has anyone else who has it had any problems with it? It seems fairly pixelated. It also has several similar scratches on all the discs.

I bought it new, but it was over ebay. The case looks legitimate but it could still be pirated. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                I just got the 4th season on DVD.

Has anyone else who has it had any problems with it? It seems fairly pixelated. It also has several similar scratches on all the discs.

I bought it new, but it was over ebay. The case looks legitimate but it could still be pirated. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems.
                I bought mine from a local retailer and my discs are fine. My only problem is with the lack of extras. The commentaries are sparse and some of them are a total waste of time sorry to say.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

^ Particularly if they're doing limited commentaries, they should do real ones not
                  Spoiler:
                  8 year old boy fart jokes through the whole thing.
                  You'd think they'd be embarrassed to have that stuff on the record permanently.

Comment

A reminder

Birthday Wishes for Amanda
                    Now through August 15 you can send BRIEF birthday wishes – no attachment, just words please – to [email protected] . Please put 'Amanda Wishes' in the subject line so they don't get lost.

She will then collect them and put them together and get them to Amanda for her birthday.

So, last 10 days. If you haven't sent your greeting, please don't procrastinate.

Again, no attachments, no artwork please. And permission certainly granted to spread this message anywhere you want. Forward your little hearts out, give it a tweet, do a little friendly Facebook Spammage. Let's see how many greetings we can round up huh?

Any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      ^ Particularly if they're doing limited commentaries, they should do real ones not
                      Spoiler:
                      8 year old boy fart jokes through the whole thing.
                      You'd think they'd be embarrassed to have that stuff on the record permanently.
                      who did the commentary for the eps you guys are talking about?
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

I would like to know which eps were commented. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                          who did the commentary for the eps you guys are talking about?
                          It was the Sanctuary For None commentaries (parts 1 & 2). The commentary was by DK, RD and RR.

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
                          I would like to know which eps were commented. Thanks.
                          AT and MW did the one she directed (was that Insurgence?), AT, MW and GH did The Depths--and that was very well done. MW, LW and Ian Tracey did the one where Adam was a hologram (ep name escapes me). DK, RR and RD did Sanctuary for None, parts 1 & 2

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Dk, rr & rd

Comment

Last few days to send a Birthday Wish to Amanda

The deadline is this Wednesday, August 15th.

So, if you haven't already and want to, you can send BRIEF birthday wishe – no attachment, just words please – to [email protected] . Please put 'Amanda Wishes' in the subject line so they don't get lost.

Julia will then collect them and put them together and get them to Amanda for her birthday.

Last weekend, so best not to procrastinate - never know how busy the work week will be.

sigpic

Comment

what does everyone think a season 5 would have been about?
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X