Through the Looking Glass (322)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord-anubis View Post
    is any one esle thinking that maybe the flash forword and some other stuf that happened may all just be one of Desmond flashes? i don't know how they show could work with them off the island.
    i wondered that too and told my mom. if it was desmond's, it might explain the jack's-dad-is-dead-or-not thinger going on.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Terrific season ender!

Did anybody else get a Star Trek Generations, "I need to get back to the Nexus" vibe from future Jack?

I think Ben was(will be?) in the coffin. Ben did warn Jack that if he made the call no one would be able to stay on the island. Nobody liked him, but possibly over the next 2 seasons, as we gain more insight into Ben and his reasons, he and Jack develop some kind of strange bond not unlike Jack and Sawyer's.

I think that Kate was living with or married to Sawyer in Jack's flash forward, but things are not going well between them. She didn't seem happy and Sawyer has probably turned into something not unlike her own father.

I was sad to see Charlie go, but I think he had firmly resolved himself to see his task through to the end, and drowning was, in his mind, part of his task. It was his destiny. Dead Losties always get at least one flashback appearance per season, and I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie writing "F A T E" on his knuckles waaay back in early season one will finally be explained in season four.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
        Desmond had told Charlie previously that if the events don't happen as he sees them, then the outcome might not be the same. Charlie let himself die to make sure Claire & Aaron would be saved as in Desmond's vision.
        Eh, I think that was just Desmond BS'n him, a little anyway. He was so certain that Charlie had to die in order for him to reunite with Penny in that one episode, but he finally made the choice to save him and they still found Naomi. Then Desmond was willing to go down to the Looking Glass instead of Charlie. That right there would have altered the future. *shrug*

I'm sure Claire and Aaron's rescue played heavily into Charlie purposefully killing himself (but I also think he did it for Desmond's benefit as well after seeing the transmission by Penny), but he had fulfilled his needed task of turning off the jamming which was preventing rescue. I'm just not seeing how his surviving (after that point) was going to prevent rescue (with him knowing that a ship was nearby. Even if it wasn't Penny's why would Charlie believe it had nefarious purposes like Ben wanted Jack to believe.) Needless to say, I'm not that happy about the death. He and Desmond could have escaped. The door opened to the inside [outside], if I recall correctly [I didn't], and the pressure of the water would have sealed it shut well enough for them to escape. ETA: My eye for detail usually sucks the first time I watch an ep so I usually have to watch shows like this a second time. And finally did. But I still think inability to escape did not play into Charlie's death, imo. They could have gotten out before the place filled with water.

I guess it can be attributed back to the whole fate thing and that Charlie felt he had to die regardless in order for a rescue to occur. They better not bring Charlie back from the dead, which is what I'm afraid they are possibly going to do with Jack's father. That's a bit creepy if they go that direction.

As to who was in the coffin, I'm guessing Ben since no one came but Jack.

I know this is nitpicky, but I'm not sure how Naomi could be dead. It has to be damned hard to throw a knife with enough force that it goes through someone's back and kills them that quickly. Course maybe she wasn't confirmed dead...don't remember.....
        Last edited by LoneStar1836; 27 May 2007, 09:06 AM.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          so the future... just why was jack so miserable? did he (and the others) do something bad to get off? did the rest of the group go too, or just a few of them? and did jack do something personally to get off the island that's driving him to suicide? kate seemed well enough.
          Simple, really. As his flashbacks have often revealed, Jack was astutely good at screwing up his own life. Never having done anything remarkable, having managed to drive away his family and loved ones, and then suddenly he finds himself on a mysterious island, saving lives and being looked at as a leader and a hero. It's something he may not have wanted in the beginning, but he wound up doing a pretty good job at it. Then, it's over. They go home, and he must pick up the pieces of his life and try to go on - knowing that the most remarkable experience he's ever had is done and behind. In a weird way Ben was right; what DOES Jack have to go back to? An ex-wife that resents him? A mother that has disowned him? The memory of dead father that he never got a chance to reconcile with? On the island, Jack was a hero to 40 scared people; back home he's just a washed-up alcoholic. For all its trials and hardships, his time on the Island was the greatest time of his life. And now it's over.

I can relate to Jack. It was a little painful to watch for me, as I'm in the same place he was by the end of the episode...
          Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
          I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
          What have these years left to me?
          Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
            Simple, really. As his flashbacks have often revealed, Jack was astutely good at screwing up his own life. Never having done anything remarkable, having managed to drive away his family and loved ones, and then suddenly he finds himself on a mysterious island, saving lives and being looked at as a leader and a hero. It's something he may not have wanted in the beginning, but he wound up doing a pretty good job at it. Then, it's over. They go home, and he must pick up the pieces of his life and try to go on - knowing that the most remarkable experience he's ever had is done and behind. In a weird way Ben was right; what DOES Jack have to go back to? An ex-wife that resents him? A mother that has disowned him? The memory of dead father that he never got a chance to reconcile with? On the island, Jack was a hero to 40 scared people; back home he's just a washed-up alcoholic. For all its trials and hardships, his time on the Island was the greatest time of his life. And now it's over.

I can relate to Jack. It was a little painful to watch for me, as I'm in the same place he was by the end of the episode...
            this makes sense, but i felt there was something more going on here. jack seems to be holding some secret that's driving him to drinking and attempted suicide.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I think it was Michael in the coffin. They were in a black neighborhood, he didn't have anyone but walt who whould have gone to live with his mother, kate wouldn't have been the forgiving type, and he was already off the island. I don't think Ben would ever leave the island and neither would Locke.

If only some of them got rescued, I'm thinking the beach people didn't, so that rules out Sawyer for Kate. I'm thinking somebody new or even a kid that she got pregnant with by Sawyer and left sleeping.

I think the flash forward is a possible future, and hopefully desmond will convince them to keep it from happening. Charlie is dead, DM confirmed it in an interview on E! tonight and talked about how much he'd miss it there and how he was going to work on a couple films a year for awhile. I'm sure he's up for flashbacks but he's off the main cast.

I give this episode 5/5, it was fantastic!
              It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Well jack started to cry when he saw the paper and EVEN wanted to jump of the bridge, so i assume it was someone important to him, maybee juliette.

hmmm

Comment

I haven't seen many lost episodes so might have been explained before. how can a 25 year old radio override a 21st century satphone. Aren't the frequencies totally different? how come it didn't override the radios the others had? how can they transmit from underwater? just using a walkie talkie

Comment

Originally posted by Contraban View Post
                    Well jack started to cry when he saw the paper and EVEN wanted to jump of the bridge, so i assume it was someone important to him, maybee juliette.

hmmm
                    i don't think juilette means *that* much to jack at this point in time. i know he cares, but he's in love with kate and prob just attracted/admiring juliette. in my opinion.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

or locke was in the coffin

he has no one
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I got this image http://bp0.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/...rclipping2.jpg off a TV guide story http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...ghts/800015786 and can make out a few words of it. "Man Found.... downtown loft" "The body of Jo???? ?(L?)anthem of New York was found shortly after 4am in the... of Grand Avenue.
                        A few other words I picked out were The Tower, loud, and beam.
                        Anybody else have other shots?
                        Who is from New York? Last name sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons View Post
                          I think it was Michael in the coffin. They were in a black neighborhood, he didn't have anyone but walt who whould have gone to live with his mother
                          Walt's mom is dead, so I don't think he could go live with her, unless you mean Michael's mother, but I'm pretty sure Walt would have been there in that case.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            Walt's mom is dead, so I don't think he could go live with her, unless you mean Michael's mother, but I'm pretty sure Walt would have been there in that case.
                            Oh, forgot about that! Well, who knows where Walt would end up in that case. I don't think Michael's last name is Lantham though, so that probably rules him out too given the image of the newspaper clipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              or locke was in the coffin

he has no one
                              Locke obviously didn't want to get rescued though. We last saw him walk off into the jungle as Jack made the call.
                              sigpic
                              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Loved this episode. I've stuck with Lost through thick and thin, and this finale made the sacrifice (LOL) worth it. Just hate the idea that we have to wait until February to see what happens next.

Not sure who's in the coffin. It's a man who was originally from New York so that would lead to Michael who's flashback had him living in NY . . . and he would have a teenage son. So, it's probably, definitely, maybe not him. LOL. Perhaps it is someone we haven't met yet.

I also tend to believe that in the flash forwards Christian Sheppard is still alive. I don't think the writers would have several scenes revolving around Jack mentioning him unless it meant something. Perhaps whatever they did on the island changed the past. So Christian is still alive and Kate is not a fugitive, etc. Not everything changes because Sarah is still around and still Jack's ex. Jack wants to get back to the island to make things right again. Kate, who's no longer a fugitive, might not be so anxious to go back.

I think Kate is torn between Sawyer and Jack. One speaks to the bad girl in her and the other speaks to the part wanting normal and respectable. I know which one I prefer, but I won't get too invested because I feel the writers are going to be playing push and pull until the final episode. I'll have to be content to just sit back and enjoy the ride.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X