No announcement yet.

Through the Looking Glass (322)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemme take a crack at the questions posed above. These are just my opinions, but feel free to flame away anyway. (Edit to q's about Kate)

Spoiler:
    Flash-forward

* Is Jack's father still alive?

I think his father is dead and Jack was just confused by the drugs he was taking. We did she his father walking around on the island in season one, so it's possible he could have been regenerated by the island. I don't think this is a new question, actually, but one that's been out there for a while.

* Why did Jack want do to the operation on the woman who crashed?

A bit because he needs to be the hero, but also because she still needed help and he felt responsible for her.

* Why is flash-forward Jack so set on returning to the island?

The whole premise of the show is that the island is special/alive. The island is pulling him back.

* How did Jack and Kate get off the island? Which other Losties escaped? How long after the crash?

Some questions won't be answered til next season, but I'm pretty confident that Desmond's vision of a helicopter rescue came true. Satellite Phone > Ship > Helicopter Rescue

* Who is the "he" Kate mentions to Jack at the airport?

Sawyer makes the most sense, so it probably wasn't him. But she was talking about the guy in the coffin. Kate & Jack were talking about two people IIRC, the guy in the coffin & someone she had to get back to... could be that Sawyer is in the coffin (who would go to a con-man's funeral) but she had to get back to someone ... maybe her son?

* What did Jack mean when he said he couldn't lie anymore?

He couldn't lie any more about his need to get back to the island.

* During what time period did the flash forward occur?

Could be anytime. Definitively.

* In the flash-forward, how did Kate manage getting out of having to go to prison?

Maybe she's using an alias. The FBI agent killed earlier in the show was driving the investigation to find her, so maybe it's not a priority for them any more.

* Who was the woman flash-forward Jack saved from the burning car?

Someone who was driving by when he was going to jump from the bridge. It was his fault that she crashed. Don't think she was someone from the island.

* Who was the funeral for?

That's the major new question from the finale. Or maybe it's "Did Charlie's note get wet when Des jumped into the water?"

* Do the survivors resume their original lives?

Sure seemed like Jack was having a tough time with it... so I'd guess not.

On the Island

* Who is Naomi really working for?

If not Penny, then it must be Penny's father. Who else would be searching for Des?

* Why was Penny reached?

She seems to be getting closer to finding Desmond. Maybe 'they' were watching her progress.

* Was Mikhail hurt or killed by the grenade detonation?

Yes, but he seems to be a pretty resilient guy.

* Where did Locke go after he left the main group of Losties at the end of the episode?

He's part of the island now. As for a specific location, who knows, but the point, IMO, was that he decided to stay on the island.

* Was Walt a projection of the Monster?

I don't think so. With Jack having such a hard time leaving the island, I suspect that Walt and his dad came back and are living with the others. Maybe they never really left.

* Where is the temple and why must Richard take the others there, as planned? What will they do once they arrive?

It's a mystery.

* Will Desmond still see flashes of the future if Charlie is dead?

If he was rescued, probably not.

* Why would it be inappropriate for Sara to give Jack a ride home?

Because she was his ex-wife and they have issues.

* What assignment in Canada were Bonnie and Greta supposed to be on?

No clue.

* What are the "forces stronger than anything it has faced in many many years"?

I think it was Ben being manipulative and he really meant that HE was having trouble dealing with Jack and the people losing faith in his ability to lead.

* Is Kate pregnant?

She made Sawyer pull out early. Or maybe not.

* Who were the other two tents that were marked?

Just Decoys.

* If Ben betrayed his father, then why does he disown Alex when she betrays him?

Because he's not her father and is a mean guy.

* Why did Charlie shut the door, and not make any effort to avoid drowning?

Because he set out to sacrifice himself so that his love would be rescued. Desmond told him that if he didn't die, the vision of her rescue wouldn't come true.

* Why was Ben's plan to make the Losties stop wanting to leave so uncharacteristically weak and unconvincing?

He's making things up as he goes along. I think his plan would have worked if Jack didn't know that Ben was a master manipulator.

* Why did Bonnie give up information to harm Ben, after earlier claiming that losing faith in Ben would ruin everything?

Because it was obvious that Ben betrayed her when the Russian told her he was just following orders (after talking to Ben).

* Why is Locke willing to take out Naomi to stop the phone from being used, but unwilling to go any further?

He has a relationship with Jack.

* How did Locke kill Naomi if he wasn't capable of killing people? Is Naomi definitely dead?

I guess Locke has evolved and is capable of pulling the trigger/throwing the knife. Nobody is definitely dead.

* Are weapons other than gunshots and explosions more able to result in injuries the island can heal?

Seems like Locke survived his gunshot wound. The poison gas Ben used seems to be the only thing that was really effective.

Can't wait for next season.
    Last edited by dlong22; 24 May 2007, 06:54 AM. Reason: Had another thought

Comment

Interesting commentary at msnbc.com:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18831266/

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

<mod snip>
        Who cares about all the questions it left - which actually aren't too many. Every episode leaves questions.
        Everything will be answered in time.

Comment

Poor, poor Charlie...its always a shame when one of my favorite characters die. And why won't Mikhail just die already!? I mean come on...

Three words: Desmond. Spear gun. That was awesome.

Originally posted by ItsDan View Post
          From Jack's reaction I assumed it was either Kate or Juliette in the coffin, but it's Lost, so who knows. I made out a couple words from the note jack was reading, but nothing with a name.
          ...? Then why was he talking to Kate about it?

That doesn't make any sense.

I was thinking that it was maybe Sun...? But then where was Jin...

They were right. Everyones going to be talking about this finale for a long time coming.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
            Well that ending had me going WTF.
            Glad I'm not the only one. Whilst the episode was good, I expect it to be so as it's a finale - and as far as finales go, I think it could have given us more answers. As it did, it just upped the mystery without providing any answers to other questions in normal typical Lost style.

First of all, I demand more answers RE Jacob, and Walt. Naomi - Locke should have said why he killed her. Was it to keep himself on the island? If so, killing someone seems far-fetched, or was it because there could be some truth to Ben's words? God damn I love Ben so much, he has such a humbleness about him yet is so manipulative, and such a piercing intelligence in his eyes. A truly brilliant character and actor.

I cried like a baby when Charlie died - I do that a lot when I really get into a story (as I got really excited and whooped when Hurley had the van - glad to see a mediocre episode have a real result in the end) , but it was frustrating, because had he just run out to Desmond, the speed of the water entering the window would have left them enough time to scuba-gear up.

Also, Jack in the future - he comments on his dad but his dad is dead. I'm don't really buy the breakdown thing being the cause for saying it, but then what other explanation is there?

My biggest peev is ending the season in a flash-forward with no conclusion on the island. Maybe that's because the writers haven't thought that far ahead. That said, thanks to the flash-forward, technically they have to get rescued.

The good: flash-forward VERY clever. I do feel it was too Jack orientated (TWO episodes - come ON, they could have made it multiple character), but considering the mysteries unravelled on the island thus far and 3 more seasons to go, I think that the next season CAN take a massive spin and go off-island in parts. I have faith in the writers that no matter what, it will keep the intrigue going.

I think maybe there's something else we can take away with this: Ben's not AS bad as we think. He allowed the 3 guys on the beach to live when just a as easily he could have done it for real.

And there's something about those 2 girls in the underwater station that made them completely bone-able. Not sure what though.
            Last edited by Groove; 24 May 2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Did anyone stop to think that Charlie probably closed the door on himself becuase it only locked (sealed) from the inside. It is a secure area and if it could be opened from the outside then we would have seen Desmond trying to open it, but he didn't because there was no handle on the outside.

Now why Charlie didn't try and fit through the window is beyond me. It looked like he could have made it through but I guess by that time he decided to accept his fate. But I have a feeling we will see him again and they will flash back to how he did go through the window or something like that.

As for Jack talking about his dad. He was not only drunk but on drugs and proabably was not sure what he was tlaking about. Or was just rying to make an off handed comment about how his dad was always drunk while on duty. Sometimes we can read to much into things.

Comment

...? Then why was he talking to Kate about it?

Sorry, I meant I thought that up until we saw him with Kate.
                "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

is any one esle thinking that maybe the flash forword and some other stuf that happened may all just be one of Desmond flashes? i don't know how they show could work with them off the island.

Comment

There were handles on both sides of the door. But that would not have held the water for long, not long enough for them to suit up and go to the surface.

If you look at the door you will see that the actual "locks" are handles on the inside, the wheel usually just controls a pressure seal around the door to make a watertight seal. So even if they were both on the other side, turned the wheel, nothing would have kept the door closed, the seal is on the outside, not the inside.

Why didn't he swim out? Well for one Mikal was out there with knives, grenades, etc. He was dead anyways. Also, Desmond told him that if he didn't die, Claire and little one wouldn't leave the island. I think Desmond is lying about this, and I think its going to bite him in the ass soon.

Future flashes, the funeral had to be for someone who was despised by Kate, which could be Sawyer, but I doubt it. I imagine that it was either Locke or Ben. Remeber Ben doesn't have any family either.

Locke coming back was awesome, he didn't seem to have any problems moving around and he must not have been far from the tower for him to get there so fast. Walt was smoke monster/Jacob.

Speaking of smokey/jacob, I think we are going to see that Jacob cannot leave the shack, but he can control the ring of powder outside it, which he turns into the smoke monster which he then can manipulate into whatever he wants.

Naomi, she was a short term character, so she had to go. But did anyone else notice the she pushed a LOT more buttons on her phone than what she told Jack to do.

Penny calling in, it looked like she was in her Father's office from what I can remember from it.

As for who they left, I think we are going to see that only a select few get off the island. Right now we know Kate, Jack, Claire, and Aaron get off (if desmond is right). But maybe the people on the beach don't get rescued. Maybe that is why Jack is so messed up, he misses Juliet and wants to go back for her.

Comment

Just WOW, simply and utterly WOW.

The episode was ****ing fabulous, and a great way to end the season in my opinion. Though, as with all the past episodes, there are many strange and unanswered things.

#1 The Coffin
                      Spoiler:
                      I think it was Sawyer in it. Jack didn't say he was a Friend or a Family member when asked by that guy, and we know, if placed next to Sawyer, whilst they had an 'understanding' they weren't really friends. As for the person Kate had to get back too, that could have been anyone.
                      #2 The Boat
                      Spoiler:
                      On this, I simply don't know about. Though I seriously doubt that they are a rescue team. Simply because of all the lies and deceit. Naomi didn't last long either (lol), nice throw from John on that one mind you.

I figure Desmond knowing the truth, isn't really important now, seeing as the boat knows where to go / look / do their thing
                      #3 The Dead
                      Spoiler:
                      10 others dead (haha) about time. Though I think I am going to miss Tom. He seemed to have a fair bit of common sense about him. One thing that does bother me, is when Ben said to Jack 'you've killed seven of my people' Jack didn't turn around and say 'well, you've killed X amount of my people'. You'd have thought he would, if only to hear Ben's reply on the matter.
                      #4 Charlie
                      Spoiler:
                      I'm 50/50 on whether he is 'actually' dead or not. Yes, he drowned, but we know people can come back to life, and I just don't think he'd quit the show, or be written out. I expect / hope to see him back again soon.

As for people who say 'why did he do it' well, quite simple really. He was told that Claire and the Baby would be rescued if he died. Because he cared for them so much, he was willing to put his life on the line. Just as Sayid was for the crash survivors.
                      #5 Mikhail
                      Spoiler:
                      Can that guy actually be killed, like seriously? First he was pushed through a 'barrier' which may have killed him, then he was shot through the heart, and then / now, he blew himself up with a grenade (yet, I do wonder if he'll make yet another appearance).
                      As for the storyline, and the future sight:
                      Spoiler:
                      This I disliked. Because they have included it, unless the story were to be in regards to time and such (which has been denied by the producers) then this 'future' that we saw, MUST happen. I think it spoils it, knowing how they will turn out, and knowing that Jack is that screwed up.

The episode (what happened on the Island) was good. The real life stuff (of which happened elsewhere from the Island) was bad.
                      sigpic
                      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Awesome episode! Not sure yet how i feel about the "flash forward" thing but i liked the ep none the less. Some funny parts:

1. Bernard's "I am a dentist, not Rambo"
                        2. Charlie while being captured "It's Charlie, tell him i said hi"
                        3. Hurley running over the other!

Can't wait till next season!
                        Mentally unstable like a fox!!

Comment

Hmm. I was expecting a "big reveal" leaving a huge unanswered question. I got neither. Didn't help that I guessed, although couldn't be 100% sure, that it was a flashforward half way through.

Also, this season felt like it was building to something huge... Turns out it was a Locke/Jack confrontation which, if i'm honest, was rather disappointing. That episode didn't feel like a finale. It was enjoyable, but it didn't give me that "WOW" feeling nor a feeling of completion. (eg. battlestar S3 finale) It just felt... average and quite unmemorable.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Wow I just read my previous post in this thread and realized that I may have overreacted just a bit. The episode itself was good. There was some excellent bits in it. However, while it was good, it wasn't great, and great is something you come to expect from a Lost finale.

Also, I'm still angry at the producers for leading the fans by the nose. As soon as I get the chance, I'm going to ask them as many questions as possible on their podcast forum.
                            Spoiler:
                            Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

i find i've been thinking about this ep a lot. there's just *so* much to consider!

now, someone tell me if i'm remembering this wrong, but did jack say to kate (in the future scenes) that the two of them were all that were left (out of the group)? i'm thinking i'm confusing it with jack saying she (kate) was the only one he cared about.

so the future... just why was jack so miserable? did he (and the others) do something bad to get off? did the rest of the group go too, or just a few of them? and did jack do something personally to get off the island that's driving him to suicide? kate seemed well enough.

charlie's never been one of my fave characters, but because of the way these writers have written the show and characters, i care for him. this will sound horrible, but i'd have preferred desmond or hurley to have died over charlie. especially now that charlie had so much (clair and aaron) to live for.

i wonder if hurley is going to lose weight now, seeing as this was another slap to him being over weight. i'm thinking it's a set up for hurley to finally take that step.

i want to be mad at bernard for blabbling their plan to the bad guys, but he was trying to protect jin and syiad (sp?) from being killed. i hope the guys remember that before ratting him out that he gave away their plans.

i was surprised when sawyer cold bloodingly killed one of the others. i think he's so disappointed in himself (when he killed locke's dad) that... he's going pile up the sins and *never* be able to forgive himself.

*very* nice scene where jack told kate he loved her. i'm still rooting for them, even thought sometimes i think jack's a jerk to her and kate's self esteme issues overwhelm her from confronting him. that's why i think she's so confortable with sawyer, because she sees him as her equal.

charlie shouldn't have let himself die. i'm ticked at him.

i think that's all for now.

VERY well written and directed show!!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Groove View Post

My biggest peev is ending the season in a flash-forward with no conclusion on the island. Maybe that's because the writers haven't thought that far ahead. That said, thanks to the flash-forward, technically they have to get rescued.
                                maybe the flash forward is to show how it 'could' go. maybe desmond will start 'seeing' things again and warn jack. this all might be avoided now.

and was in confirmed that only jack and kate made it off the island? (the msn link made it sound like it was)

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X