Rockne O'Bannon To Write Farscape Comics - Cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    In trying to see if I could find some current release dates for the remaining issues, I ran across this review of the first issue.
    I agree with him about the artwork but not the writing. I found it to be interesting and in tune with the show and if decided to spend my non-existant funds on the next comic iit will be because of the writing.

His comments about Aeryn
    Spoiler:
    I thought the writing was perfect in how she is handling the baby - exactly how I would expect Aeryn to react. And love how John looks so natural and Aeryn looks a little miffed about that.
    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      I don't agree with that review at all. I think Issue #1 was spectacular. But, to each their own.
      He started the review on pretty shaky ground by dissing Season 4.

Comment

Another cover? Limited to 500 copies?! Dammit, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist buying that...

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
        The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
          His comments about Aeryn
          Spoiler:
          I thought the writing was perfect in how she is handling the baby - exactly how I would expect Aeryn to react. And love how John looks so natural and Aeryn looks a little miffed about that.
          Agreed. The writer got Aeryn spot on.

I'm glad they got this writer to do the series as he obviously has a feel for the characters, and nice to see that he will be the one for the next series. While I can completely ignore the artwork, it would be more difficult to ignore weird characterizations and dialogue.

Of course the first issue wasn't going to be all action packed. You have to pace yourself and set up the story first and then hopefully get readers to come back for the second one.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
            He started the review on pretty shaky ground by dissing Season 4.
            Very shaky ground. I thought Season 4 was one of Farscape's best.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              Agreed. The writer got Aeryn spot on.

I'm glad they got this writer to do the series as he obviously has a feel for the characters, and nice to see that he will be the one for the next series. While I can completely ignore the artwork, it would be more difficult to ignore weird characterizations and dialogue.

Of course the first issue wasn't going to be all action packed. You have to pace yourself and set up the story first and then hopefully get readers to come back for the second one.
              I thought Aeryn in Issue #1 was very true to her character on the show too. I liked how it portrayed her struggling with being a new mother. This is all very foreign to her, a soldier almost all of her life.

And I totally agree about the first issue setting everything up for the rest of the series. The next three issues will be jam-packed with action, of that I am sure.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I thought Aeryn in Issue #1 was very true to her character on the show too. I liked how it portrayed her struggling with being a new mother. This is all very foreign to her, a soldier almost all of her life.
                I wonder how much the reviewer really knows of Farscape. Because Aeryn while she looks human is not and growing up in the Peacekeeper culture has no idea what to do with kids, although she has learned alot. The 1st season Aeryn probably wouldn't be paying attention to the kid at all.

One of the things I love about Farscape is the reversal in attitudes, emotion, etc between Aeryn and John. And I wonder that someone that just has a superficial understanding of the show doesn't realize how important and definitive that is, and are expecting Aeryn to behave more like a human female.
                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                  I wonder how much the reviewer really knows of Farscape. Because Aeryn while she looks human is not and growing up in the Peacekeeper culture has no idea what to do with kids, although she has learned alot. The 1st season Aeryn probably wouldn't be paying attention to the kid at all.

One of the things I love about Farscape is the reversal in attitudes, emotion, etc between Aeryn and John. And I wonder that someone that just has a superficial understanding of the show doesn't realize how important and definitive that is, and are expecting Aeryn to behave more like a human female.
                  Honestly, the reviewer probably doesn't know as much as he thought. Seeing how she acts around little D'Argo, and adjusts to being a mother, is very important to see IMO. It definitely would have been addressed thoroughly in the show, so why not do it in the comic?
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I ran across this link posted on another site.

Top 300 Comics Actual--December 2008
                    These are estimates of the sales by Diamond U.S. to comic specialty stores during December 2008.
                    Farscape #1 ranked 187 with an estimated 12,777
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Is that ranking relatively good?

On another note, anyone know when Issue #2 is supposed to actually come out. This wait is a real killer.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Looked pretty good to me since almost all the comic up to rank 150 were DC or Marvel. More than I thought would be printed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Is that ranking relatively good?

On another note, anyone know when Issue #2 is supposed to actually come out. This wait is a real killer.
                          Got me if that's a good ranking or not. I'd like to think so. Hey at least it made the list.

I just saw the link posted over at Whedonesque in reference to the Buffy and Angel comics.

And about #2's date, I looked over at Terra Firma and Keith DeCandido who posts as krad over there said it should be out the last week of January. Which should be the 28th as I think new comics are released on Wednesdays.

I also saw the link to this interview with BOOM's sales and marketing guy on his LJ....
                          JK: So let’s talk about some of those books … Farscape #1 came out on Christmas Eve, and you announced a second printing on Monday. So I’m guessing sales at the retailer level exceeded your expectations?

Chip: Yes, Santa came early this year! Okay, seriously… Farscape #1 has done great. And while it looks like the weather stopped some stores from getting their copies on time. But even with that hiccup, the reorder activity was so tremendous that we sold out and now are going to a second printing. We are all really happy about how well this book has performed for us.

JK: The reaction to these sorts of announcements always fascinates me. While the publisher obviously wants to play up the fact that the book sold out from the distributor — which is what we’re talking about in this case, correct? Not that the book can’t be found on any retailer shelf anywhere in America — you typically see comments about how the book probably had a low print run, someone didn’t anticipate demand, etc. As a sales and marketing guy, what’s your perspective? And beyond orders from retailers, what goes into the decision to overprint something?

Chip: When a sell-out happens at the distributor level, obviously we want to get the word out to the fans so they have a chance to get a copy. As a sales and marketing guy, I want everyone who wants a copy of the book to get a copy of the book. We had strong initial orders from retailers for this book and tried to meet the expected demand. But sometimes you can’t anticipate just how strong the fan reaction is going to be.

JK: What are the plans for Farscape after the initial mini-series?

Chip: We’re doing a follow-up called Farscape: Strange Detractors. Rockne S. O’Bannon is back writing with Keith R.A. DeCandido. On this series, we have newcomer Will Sliney on art. It’s looking great.

JK: Are you guys hearing feedback from Farscape fans? I remember fans of the show being pretty dedicated. Are retailers seeing a different set of customers coming in for the book?

Chip: The Farscape fans have really been driving the success of the Farscape #1 comic. We have really great relationships with the fan sites and have become close personal friends with a ton of the ‘Scapers out there. I suspect retailers are seeing a lot of new faces in their stores because of this book.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Thanks, LoneStar. I'll definitely be looking for Issue #2 next week. I can't wait to see how this story continues.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Wow, i just heard that we actually have a 3rd series coming out? This is going to get expensive, but I'm happy for more scape in any form:

FARSCAPE
                              : D'ARGO'S LAMENT #1

Written by Keith R.A. DeCandido, art by Tommy Patterson, covers by Michael DiPascale and Will Sliney.

Ka D'argo lives on -- only in this Farscape mini-series set in continuity during Season 3 between episodes "Revenging Angel" and "Fractures!" Follow the adventures of John Crichton's best friend D'argo as he's forced to not only save the day and end planetary war, he's got to do it all with mouthy "princess" Jool along for the ride. And that means trouble!

24 pages, $3.99.
                              Pic:
                              http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../farscape1.htm

Comment

I saw that yesterday. Though I wonder if they are cannon. I didn't see Rockne's name attached to it.

But they could be an interesting read anyway since it's the same writer.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X