Flesh and Stone (3105/505)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billz View Post
    Do I dare say that was Steven Moffat's best episode yet?

Yes, I do.

It's about damn time that we got to see the Angels move. I thought that was really creepy to be honest. Kind of the feeling you get that someone is going to jump scare you but then doesn't. I would've liked to have seen an actual face change from calm to scary on an Angel though. Maybe next time.

Was anyone else hoping that this would be the episode when River Song would have ended up with the Doctor's old sonic screwdriver? If you remember, in 'Silence In The Library', it is established that River's sonic screwdriver is a heavily modified future version of the Doctor's old sonic screwdriver. Too bad she didn't get it in this episode though. She could have ended up fixing it, modifiying it as to what was seen in 'Silence In The Library' and using it to escape from the prison ship somehow.

I didn't like how Amy was throwing herself at the Doctor at the ending. She should have just fancied him from afar like Rose and Martha did. Instead, here, she just goes all slutty. (Mind you, I wouldn't have said no to her ).
    Keep in mind that Rose and Martha were in love with the Doctor................Amy just wants one last romp because she has cold feet about the wedding. She fancies him and loves to travel with him............but the main thing she wants is to do something crazy and stupid before her wedding.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      I still think it was a mistake to show the angels moving and also to suggest they consciously freeze - this seems to undo what Ten said in Blink (that its a fact of their biology and they effectively cease to exist as creatures while a living thing is observing them) and makes them less scary
      Totally agree, plus one of the creepier bits of Blink was that they froze even if the characters couldn't see them but you could, I mean sure this time it had "That which holds an image of an angel" while leaving it said that the majority of the tvs in the country were doing that, but it still didn't match the creepiness of Blink.

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      Loving the fact that Cleric Marco is Spoon from Dog Soldiers. Lends even more strength to the line "there is no spoon" once the crack causes him to cease to have existed.
      ROFL, green for you!

Comment

Best episode of the season. Hell, it may just be the best DW episode ever (IMO) I've just finished watching it and.... wow. Simply brilliant. Moffat needs to get an award for this.

When Father Ocatvian said that River killed a very good man, I immediately suspected that he was talking about the Doctor. Probably his regeneration into Doc 12.

With the concept of mind angel the Weeping Angels just got a thousand times creepier. If you blink, you die, if you look them in the eyes, you die.

Favorite quote:
        What if the gravity fails?
        I've thought about that.
        And?
        And we'll all plunge to our deaths. See, I've thought about it.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        So let's be honest guys.................how many of us wouldn't have been as noble as the Doctor at the end there?
        I'd have my clothes off within a millisecond. And I know who I'll be dreaming about tonight.
        Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 01 May 2010, 01:22 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

One of my favourite quotes was

Bishop: "Doctor Song, I've lost three clerics today, you trust this man?"
          River: "I absolutely trust him."
          Bishop: "He's not some kind of mad man?"
          River: "... ... I absolutely trust him.

And a bit of pure indulgence for me & Sealurk, Pte Spoon in Dog Soldiers.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
            I didn't like how Amy was throwing herself at the Doctor at the ending. She should have just fancied him from afar like Rose and Martha did. Instead, here, she just goes all slutty. (Mind you, I wouldn't have said no to her ).
            It was lust, nothing more nothing less, and be fair, the Doctor's been coming on to her as well

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
              It was lust, nothing more nothing less, and be fair, the Doctor's been coming on to her as well
              Well that's mainly because he is an etcentric 907 year old alien from Gallifrey where strange behavior was common place. So it's not entirely his fault

But for Amy to basically say 'sonic me for crying out loud Doctor!' made her seem less like a kissogram and more like someone constantly gagging for it.
              Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

I hate to say it but I'm sure Amy's not the first woman to have some pre-wedding "fun" before her wedding day. I found what Amy did to be very hot to be honest and I'm sure I'd have had difficulty turning her down.
                I can believe why she tried to seduce the Doctor...because she almost died and was closer to death this time than in her three previous adventures. She wanted to seize the moment, be spontaneous and feel alive.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                  Totally agree, plus one of the creepier bits of Blink was that they froze even if the characters couldn't see them but you could, I mean sure this time it had "That which holds an image of an angel" while leaving it said that the majority of the tvs in the country were doing that, but it still didn't match the creepiness of Blink.
                  The bolded line made me think. Blink was the Weeping Angel equivalent of Alien, an incredibly suspenseful horror story with a small number of terrifying antagonists in a confined space, whereas Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone is the Weeping Angel equivalent of Aliens, a military themed story based more on action than horror that nevertheless fleshes out the antagonists and largely succeeds by not repeating the previous story.

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                  One of my favourite quotes was

Bishop: "Doctor Song, I've lost three clerics today, you trust this man?"
                  River: "I absolutely trust him."
                  Bishop: "He's not some kind of mad man?"
                  River: "... ... I absolutely trust him.
                  Yes, I ROFLed and indeed LOLed at that too. Alex Kingston's delivery was perfect too.

And a bit of pure indulgence for me & Sealurk, Pte Spoon in Dog Soldiers.
                  Oh, see, now I have to watch that film all over again. Just as well I'm writing about werewolves at the moment and could use the inspiration...
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    I hate to say it but I'm sure Amy's not the first woman to have some pre-wedding "fun" before her wedding day. I found what Amy did to be very hot to be honest and I'm sure I'd have had difficulty turning her down.
                    I can believe why she tried to seduce the Doctor...because she almost died and was closer to death this time than in her three previous adventures. She wanted to seize the moment, be spontaneous and feel alive.
                    Lol. So did I. Funnily Amy has the same sot of personality of a lot of girls I'd date..........not sure what that says about me mind.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomlyGenerated View Post
                      Did anyone else notice the date the Doctor came up with for whatever causes the crack is the same as the date the last episode of the series should be on?
                      Well that's not gonna be coincidence is it
                      I'm also 90% sure that was the date the radio alarm clock clicked over to as well in the closing scene just before he pushed her into the Tardis.

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post

And Randy Amy.. lol
                        Species and Sil spring to mind......the Tardis does have a pool.

Comment

I'm both disappointed and pleased that the angels moved on screen and here's how:

I'll start with why im disappointed.
                          They were so much creepier when they simultaneously maintained the aspect of being both mundane and extraordinary, by moving only when we couldn't see them they really caught you off guard and had an air of secrecy and a level of terror mixed with disbelief all tied to the fact that these are everyday things made them a very scary bad guy and this is why i was disappointed.

However, this development is relatively necessary as we are 3rd person observers and while our view is subjective to the point that we are predisposed to The Doctor's team we are not PART of the team in a literal sense so it is illogical that because the camera can see an angel it subsequently cannot move. The movement on screen was also explained and reasoned quite well in my opinion, The Doctor said 'Their instincts will take over' or something of the sort, to those saying 'this refutes Ten's explanation because this says it's a concious decision,' No, it doesn't, instincts are not concious choices you make and often some are rooted in biological means while some are psychosomatic.
                          Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

On a side note those guns the 'clerics' were using looked like the bottom half of a P90.

P.s is the Doctor mad, Amy was throwing herself at him and all he could say was yuk. If she wants one last fling then I'd be more than happy to drop everything and 'help' her with her 'problem'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                              Well that's not gonna be coincidence is it
                              I'm also 90% sure that was the date the radio alarm clock clicked over to as well in the closing scene just before he pushed her into the Tardis.
                              Yeah, I figured that the date would correspond with the season finale. As I watched the episode, I thought it was fun to think that I was peering into the future and watching what Amy and the Doctor are up to two months from now.

For me, the most interesting part of the episode was that little bit with the Doctor and Amy in the forest where he says "remember what I said to you when you were 7". The episode is so hectic that it is easy to move past that scene as a viewer, but the Doctor's subtly different, and the way it was done so that it's noticeable but not too noticeable was brilliant. We hear the Doctor shouting goodbye at a distance from Amy off-screen, and then all of a sudden he's holding her hands, and his demeanor changes. He's much more tender, he's more visibly distressed, and he's speaking in riddles of sorts. The clincher, though, is that he has his jacket on when 5 seconds ago he was jacketless because he left it with the angels (I can't take credit for catching it, but I think it's really cool). Is this a different 11 from the future that appeared for a moment to deliver the message (even though that would be doubling back on his own timeline?)? Or is this the Doctor in Amy's head?

Comment

A great, and interesting, episode. Well acted all around; Matt Smith continuing to impress me. Iain Glen gets bonus points for Father Octavian, too. River was good, plus a nice mystery on who she killed is always nice. I personally don't think it'll be the Doctor. Maybe a male companion to come?

Onto the part that's niggling me: Amy. Amyamyamyamy... I don't dislike her for throwing herself at the Doctor, nor do I hate him for being the noble one there and reminding her that she's getting married. I'm just curious if Amy's tried doing it out of a sense of hero worship/lusty hero worship, or if there's some actual lovey-dovey feelings there. Is she just nervous about the wedding and wants one last romp? The Doctor's reaction was priceless, though.

Still - a great episode that didn't overshadow nor get overshadowed by the previous one. Fun all around.
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X