No announcement yet.

Last of the Time Lords (2913/313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i know. brilliant casting there i think.........course i also think john simm looks a little tiny bit like blair.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      yeah i know. brilliant casting there i think.........course i also think john simm looks a little tiny bit like blair.
      Me too lmao. I was thoroughly amused. *sigh* Another reason to love Doctor Who.

Comment

i hope though that john simm will be able to play the master again though. it looks doubtful but i really hope so. he was just amazingly good at it.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          i hope though that john simm will be able to play the master again though. it looks doubtful but i really hope so. he was just amazingly good at it.
          Now THAT was the best piece of Doctor Who casting since David Tennant. Not bringing him back would be a crime. Not bringing him back while David is still the Doctor, doubly so. Of course it looks like RTD created an oppertunity for that with the bit with the ring at the end.

Perhaps we'll see him back for one of the 2009 specials?

Comment

Oh yeah, and the President of Great Britain got killed in the alternate universe, too.

Comment

OMG, they hacked it to PIECES!!

How utterly horrible for all the fans who have only seen this version of the finale! Ye gods! I may have to watch the full version now, just to reassure myself.

Oh, and since I'm STILL in shock about this: Jack. Is. The. Face. Of. Boe. *boggles*

BTW, does anyone know what the "clue" for next season is? I know it's supposed to be mentioned (or seen) in the last two eps, but... I'm still coming up blank.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

How utterly horrible for all the fans who have only seen this version of the finale! Ye gods! I may have to watch the full version now, just to reassure myself.

Oh, and since I'm STILL in shock about this: Jack. Is. The. Face. Of. Boe. *boggles*

BTW, does anyone know what the "clue" for next season is? I know it's supposed to be mentioned (or seen) in the last two eps, but... I'm still coming up blank.
                How bad was it? I refuse to watch the ones that air on SCI FI because I saw what they did to Utopia (I only saw Series 1 on SCI FI prior to watchin it, the rest was also by other means). In any case, I watch them y alternative methods long before they air on SCI FI.

Comment

The clue was a scene at the Master's funeral pyre where you see
                  a hand with red nail polish pick up the Master's ring and a female
                  laugh. At least I think that's the clue. I don't think it was the Titanic
                  thing crashing through the TARDIS..
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah, and the President of Great Britain got killed in the alternate universe, too.

Noooooo the one that got killed was the USA President and I cheered
                    but the Master was the PM of Great Brittain
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
                      Noooooo the one that got killed was the USA President and I cheered
                      but the Master was the PM of Great Brittain
                      In this episode, yes. But in the Cybermen eps last year they were in an alternate universe and there was a President of Great Britain. Just because I'm American doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to believe that the UK normally has a presidency.

As for the hack job, let's see...

* The galactic warning about Earth being in "terminal mode" was snipped
                      * The "I Can't Decide" song and dance was snipped
                      * The "I'm a doctor" conversation with Tom Milligan was snipped
                      * The confrontation between Tom and the Spheres was snipped- this is where we find out about Martha still using her perception field thingy
                      * I think part of the explanation about the Arcangel Network was snipped, although I could be wrong.
                      * The Master getting a massage was cut, which is relevant because he removes is jacket, which is relevant because...
                      * Half the onboard attack scenes were cut- including the rather important scene where Mom Jones hands the Doctor the Master's jacket, which explains how the Doctor wound up with the Master's laser screwdriver
                      * Part of the Master's scene explaining taking the wife to Utopia was snipped (the Sphere's whole arrival and convo was snipped, if I remember rightly)
                      * The Master sneaking back in the middle of the night (in pyjamas) to tell the Doctor "guess what?" was snipped (this is right after Doherty betrays Martha)
                      * The prison scenes wherein the Jones family commiserated over wishing to kill the Master was snipped- important in a backgroundy way since we see love and affection between the formerly separated/divorced Mum & Dad
                      * The scene where Martha's mum grabs up the dropped gun and the Master tries to goad her into shooting him was snipped
                      * Martha running up to hand a bouquet of flowers to the mystified Doherty was snipped
                      * Martha calling Dr Milligan on her mobile was snipped- which could be relevant if she winds up dating him

There were probably more, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head (and yes, I did watch the uncut ep because damn, there was even more missing than I realized).

Comment

In this episode, yes. But in the Cybermen eps last year they were in an alternate universe and there was a President of Great Britain. Just because I'm American doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to believe that the UK normally has a presidency.

As for the hack job, let's see...

* The galactic warning about Earth being in "terminal mode" was snipped
                        * The "I Can't Decide" song and dance was snipped
                        * The "I'm a doctor" conversation with Tom Milligan was snipped
                        * The confrontation between Tom and the Spheres was snipped- this is where we find out about Martha still using her perception field thingy
                        * I think part of the explanation about the Arcangel Network was snipped, although I could be wrong.
                        * The Master getting a massage was cut, which is relevant because he removes is jacket, which is relevant because...
                        * Half the onboard attack scenes were cut- including the rather important scene where Mom Jones hands the Doctor the Master's jacket, which explains how the Doctor wound up with the Master's laser screwdriver
                        * Part of the Master's scene explaining taking the wife to Utopia was snipped (the Sphere's whole arrival and convo was snipped, if I remember rightly)
                        * The Master sneaking back in the middle of the night (in pyjamas) to tell the Doctor "guess what?" was snipped (this is right after Doherty betrays Martha)
                        * The prison scenes wherein the Jones family commiserated over wishing to kill the Master was snipped- important in a backgroundy way since we see love and affection between the formerly separated/divorced Mum & Dad
                        * The scene where Martha's mum grabs up the dropped gun and the Master tries to goad her into shooting him was snipped
                        * Martha running up to hand a bouquet of flowers to the mystified Doherty was snipped
                        * Martha calling Dr Milligan on her mobile was snipped- which could be relevant if she winds up dating him

There were probably more, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head (and yes, I did watch the uncut ep because damn, there was even more missing than I realized).
                        OMG. Those are some of the best scenes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
                          OMG. Those are some of the best scenes!
                          Exactly! The whole song & dance at the beginning is one of my favorite scenes. I suppose I can understand why it was cut, but dang! You miss the fact that the Master is making the Doctor live in a little tent on the floor with a food dish that says "Dog" on it. You miss him ringing the bell to call out the Doctor and then wheeling him around in the wheelchair. *sigh*

Comment

Exactly! The whole song & dance at the beginning is one of my favorite scenes. I suppose I can understand why it was cut, but dang! You miss the fact that the Master is making the Doctor live in a little tent on the floor with a food dish that says "Dog" on it. You miss him ringing the bell to call out the Doctor and then wheeling him around in the wheelchair. *sigh*
                            Thank God it is coming out on DVD Nov 6th! I look forward to that (rewatching the original)!

Comment

On the other hand... can someone confirm for me that a line of dialogue was added to the US broadcast? In the scene where Milligan is knocking on the door of the slave quarters it seemed like he said, "It's me, Tom Milligan" whereas in the original he just says "It's me." I noticed it because it seemed weird that he was still trying to identify himself when they were already opening the door.

Do they really think Americans are so stupid that they need to have the character re-identified? And why bother since they snipped out all his character development scenes including the fact that Martha seems to fancy him (as evidence by her snipped call- and hangup- to him at the end)?

Comment

A Fantastic Episode! (even with tons cut out)

Thanks Shadow. The explanation helped several scenes make more sense.

The Good:

Powerful Scenes-the scene with the Master dying in the Doctor's arms was amazing. The writing was fantastic, and the actors had something to do at last.

Character Development-I liked how the relationship between Jack and the Doctor ended, and I was ok with how Martha and the Doctor parted too. I didn't dislike Martha, and I preferred her to Rose. However, it was time for her to leave. I could even handle Martha's odd family this time.

The Bad:

The shrunken Doctor wasn't terribly impressive. Glowy Doctor (who appeared to be using the overused SG-1 plot element of ascension) wasn't much better. I could handle the idea of transformation through belief and hope, particularly since the Doctor is referred to as "a lonely god" in New Earth. I just didn't like the special effects of the change here. I might have preferred the lighting they use when the Timelords regenerate.

The episode seemed a bit scattered, but my I endured the hacked up episode courtesy of SciFi. My views of the pacing will likely change.

Overall, it was a fantastic episode for an amazing show. I dread the wait for Season 4.
                                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                                X