No announcement yet.

Utopia (2911/311)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going with Heroes because we can watch Doctor Who on CBC.ca. Plus, the dvds come out soon....in November, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
      I'm going with Heroes because we can watch Doctor Who on CBC.ca. Plus, the dvds come out soon....in November, I think.
      I'm going with Heroes as well- only because I'm videotaping all of Doctor Who just in case the DVDs end up being more than the cash I've got saved, and I've only got one VCR, so I'll record Last of the Timelords and watch it right after. Of course the tv with the VCR is really crappy, and the tape is also really crappy, so it won't be ideal viewing.

Of course it just has to happen that these are two shows that don't get repeats.

Not to mention the season premiere of Corner Gas is also on, so I guess I'll have to miss that altogether.

It's disappointing that they're doing this- one of the things that I love about Doctor Who is the anticipation for the next episode, and because the seasons are so short, it just feels.....wrong, to air two on the same night.

Comment

don't complain. we brits had to wait the week.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          don't complain. we brits had to wait the week.
          But that's part of the fun of Doctor Who! The anticipation!

Am I seriously the only person who appreciates that?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

Depends on how long the "anticipation" is forced to last. A week? No problem. A year? That's a little more touchy. And I'm thinking more in terms of the proposed year-long break for BSG's final season than the year-long siesta for DW.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              Depends on how long the "anticipation" is forced to last. A week? No problem. A year? That's a little more touchy. And I'm thinking more in terms of the proposed year-long break for BSG's final season than the year-long siesta for DW.
              Woah, yes, I mean watching the show week-to-week. Waiting a year= annoying.

Comment

no i apreciate it but at the end of utopia you're desperate to watch the next part.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  no i apreciate it but at the end of utopia you're desperate to watch the next part.
                  Exactly! I've been feeling that all week! And that's what makes it great! You know you've found something you love when it does that to you!

Comment

I mostly enjoyed it, except for most of the Futurekind crowd scenes, which felt like they were in desperate need of a choreographer, or at least an acting coach. But because I did enjoy so much of the episode, I resented being repeatedly kicked out of the drama by the annoyances:

Some of the editing was bewilderingly crude. Hopefully that was because it was the Sci-Fi Channel version?

The music. Ugh! It would have been a much more involving episode if there hadn't been any music. Instead, the mood kept getting spoiled by "42" crashing in at peculiar times.

I rolled my eyes when Yana, menacing Chantho with a sparking cable, identified himself. It cut into the suspense and turned the scene into a cliche. I rolled my eyes again when he named himself again later for no good reason. And when it got to the "Say my name!" scene I yelled at the screen "We know already!" Talk about sabotaging the drama. Why they didn't go with that scene alone as the great reveal? Sheesh! The audience who didn't know the significance would have been delightfully shocked that the Doctor knew him, and those that did know would have been cheering. Instead it was repetitive and felt like filler.
                    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Aye.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I'm with ShadowMaat on this. A week--great! Fine! Personally, I love seeing an episode per week. I can savor and speculate.

But a year? I'll have forgotten why I was interested by then. For example, I missed the first three episodes of the current series of Doctor Who before I happened to have a free hour that coincided with a broadcast.
                        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Well, I don't know how good Heroes was, but I think I made the right choice. "The Sound of Drums" was the most fun I had watching TV for a very long time.

At least 3 years, I would say.

Comment

Thank goodness for the last 5 minutes, otherwise this episode was nothing special at all. It's good to see Jack back but i felt the Doctor was unnecessarily cold towards him. So are we to believe that out of the entire universe and the entire length of the time-line, the Doctor just happens to land on a planet just in time for the Master to reappear? Just seems to me that it's pushing the believability factor way too much, even for Sci fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumper View Post
                              So are we to believe that out of the entire universe and the entire length of the time-line, the Doctor just happens to land on a planet just in time for the Master to reappear? Just seems to me that it's pushing the believability factor way too much, even for Sci fi.
                              The Classic Who seemed to have established that the Tardis has a tendency to home in on weird stuff, to the extent of ignoring or adjusting the instructions the Doctor had given it

It's something that's continued in the new era. For example, it was supposed to go to London in the 1860s, but headed for Cardiff, because there was weirdness afoot; it was supposed to go to the 1980s but missed by 50 years, drawn by the Wire and the faceless people.

If the Tardis was, for some reason, to go forwards in time a little fast, it'd be more likely to end up heading for where the Master was than for any other specified place, I reckon.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                                The Classic Who seemed to have established that the Tardis has a tendency to home in on weird stuff, to the extent of ignoring or adjusting the instructions the Doctor had given it

It's something that's continued in the new era. For example, it was supposed to go to London in the 1860s, but headed for Cardiff, because there was weirdness afoot; it was supposed to go to the 1980s but missed by 50 years, drawn by the Wire and the faceless people.

If the Tardis was, for some reason, to go forwards in time a little fast, it'd be more likely to end up heading for where the Master was than for any other specified place, I reckon.
                                indeed. I always like to think that the following was going through the TARDIS' mind at the beginning of that ep.

*Jack grabs on*

"Oh crap! Captain Jack! Must escape!

*TARDIS begins heading for oblivion......passes by Yana*

"Ooooh maybe he'll kill them instead."

Comment

Working...
                                X