Blink (2910/310)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Ladies and germs, a big hand please, for actress Aga Blonska and her portrayal of the Weeping Angel.
    I had no idea that Weeping Angel was the work of a single person...
    Amazing.
    I was really, really worried for Larry. For a minute there I thought the man was a goner.

Great episode... my second 10/10 for S3.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Wow. Amazing episode! So good I watched it twice! No, really... I was out last night and so waited to watch the repeat on Beeb 3 tonight... and recorded as I watched it... and it was so damn good I watched it again on the recorded version after Dr Who COnfidential was finished!

So incredibly tense and spooky... I admit I didn't have high expectations for this ep... L&M I enjoyed as an interesting departure from the series norm but it didn't grab me and it's the only ep I've never rewatched.... Blink though.... wow. I loved the characters, loved the concept, loved the tension and pacing, loved how the mystery all slowly came together. Just brilliant. And so damn scary! I was cringing when the statue was sneaking up on Cathy and, my goodness, the scene where they were trying to get into the TARDIS, I was on the edge of my seat and muttering, "Hurry up!!!!" at the TV!

So many great concepts in this and so many good lines too - I made myself laugh when Sally explained the list was all the DVDs she owned and I said to my husband "She only owns 17 DVDs?" and then Larry said the exact same thing 5 seconds later!

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      I also wonder what the logic is of when the angels send someone back. Best Friend gets zapped back to 1920 but the Doctor (and Martha) and DI Wossname get sent to 1969.
      I think each angel sends people back to a specific time... The Dr told Billy that he has been sent back in time the same way he and Martha had, "touched by an angel" and said it had probably been the same angel too as it had sent him back to the same time.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
      I am going out to get a t-shirt printed up right now. "The Angels have the phone box!"
      Oh me too! I so want one!

Was it just me, or did the sillouette of Cathy Nightingale's grandson through the opaque glass of the door, not resemble the Doctor's?
      I thought that too... I get the feeling that was a deliberate choice?
      sigpic

Comment

So funny with Martha peeved that she has to support the Doctor and work in a shop - rofl!
        scarimor

Comment

The more I look at it, the more this episode feels like an introduction. After all, her last line was ''see you again sometime'', which in TV land usually means it's definate, a couple of you guys said he looked like he recognised Larry, and this ep could take place anytime in the Doctor's future.

hell, they could walk back into the shop at the end and find the present Doctor in there. After all, he usually at least stops by to say thanks.

I didn't care much for Larry, he was kinda meh, but Sally was great and had all the requirements of a companion: Smart, open-minded, inquisitive, brave, and of course, young and hot.

Comment

[QUOTE=BruTak;6759966]Pant wettingly scary! I don't think I got to sleep until after 0200hrs this morning...
            Thanks to Steven Moffat, a whole generation of small children will soil themselves in terror at the sight of a statue.
            I know watched now it's laughable but the shop window dummies (autons) in Jon Pertwees first story almost had me this bad I would refuse to shop with my mum in case they got me. As I watched (Blink) it struck me that if I was not so old and cynical I would be hiding behind the couch just as terrified as at aged eight (when it first aired yes god help me I am that old).

Originally posted by Josie View Post
            This episode was just utterly fantastic - creepy, involving, exciting and beautifully executed and acted. The statues were genuinely scary, as some one said somewhere above what you don't see can often be more scary than what you do see, so I'm so glad we didn't actually see them move, it just made it all the creepier. There are definitely going to be some very scared kids (and adults) around the country.
            Very well put nothing you see is ever as scary as something you imagine. and even when the Doctor had explained they dont kill or really harm you they are still bloody scary. very impresive on its own IMO and as an example of its effect my niece of 15 was on the other side of the room as Blink started by the end she was hiding her head behind me and almost pushed me out of my seat.
            *snort, giggle* Oh this is priceless...
            Ok, so, I'm just back from getting the Sunday papers at the corner shop. My route takes me past an old folks home which is run by a sect of Catholic nuns, the Little Sisters of the Poor.
            And, of course, there's a few religious-type statues in the grounds of the home...
            As I walked past the place, a few kids came past the other way - and I'm willing to swear in any court you'd care to mention that they were all casting suspicious glances at the statues.
            Ahhh, the power of television.
            Another thing Doctor Who can do really well use something that is real and you can see in most cases in everyday life and turn it into the stuff of nightmares as I pointed out the shop window dummies where all around, even when young I knew it was unlikely that the Daleks would be lurking at the shops but those dummies were a tangible threat nothing could have been more frightning for me same for this generation of youngsters (or adults for that matter).
            Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
            Maybe Stephen Moffat, Paul Cornell and Mark Gatiss could be guest writers and write an episode of Atlantis each, to show them how it's done, properly.
            Anyone got the address for Joe Mallozzi's blog *Evilgrin*
            Now that is a hell of an idea.
            Originally posted by the_fours View Post
            Just watched it again, and it still freaked me out.
            I do agree another companion or two wouldnt go amiss, such as the days when there was Tegan, Nyssa, and Adric. Its been done before it can be done again.
            Yes its been done before but IMO more often than not it caused so many problems plotwise, so much time was spent splitting them up having them run round doing pointless stuff and being really dumb then getting them together again so they can tie the story up they seemed to spend most of the story locked up or just missing if memory sevres. I really disliked that era mostly because non of those three characters appealed to me

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
              So funny with Martha peeved that she has to support the Doctor and work in a shop - rofl!
              I loved that bit.
              Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I also wonder what the logic is of when the angels send someone back. Best Friend gets zapped back to 1920 but the Doctor (and Martha) and DI Wossname get sent to 1969.
              Am I the only one who thought Life on Mars... probably....

I don't know, if it had been say 1963, I would say it was because of The Doctor's history around that year but I have no idea if anything happened to The Doctor in 1969. When was Steven M born?

It's another one of those make of it what you will things.

OK I didn't have nightmares but this morning I did wake at around 5.30 and have a good look around my room! Thankfully I live in an area where we don't have a lot of statues, we do have a graveyard up the street with a couple of angels on the headstones.

Comment

I'm reading Human Nature now (the novel the previous two eps were based on) and every once in a while there comes a scene where I think, "Oh god, they're gonna look around and there's going to be a Weeping Angel there!" And even knowing it's the wrong story doesn't change that half-second of utter anticipatory dread I feel. Something tells me I'm going to be doing a lot of that in the books I read.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  I'm reading Human Nature now (the novel the previous two eps were based on) and every once in a while there comes a scene where I think, "Oh god, they're gonna look around and there's going to be a Weeping Angel there!" And even knowing it's the wrong story doesn't change that half-second of utter anticipatory dread I feel. Something tells me I'm going to be doing a lot of that in the books I read.
                  Yep I've noticed a lot of themes and stuff popping up on screen from the novels not to much of a surprise given how many of the authors are writing the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Verona View Post
                    Yep I've noticed a lot of themes and stuff popping up on screen from the novels not to much of a surprise given how many of the authors are writing the show.
                    ...That wasn't really my point, but yeah, it's no surprise that there'd be a lot of carry-over from book to screen particularly when the same author is doing both. And doubly so when they say things like, "This ep was based off the novel I wrote..."

There actually were a couple of statues mentioned in Human Nature and their fate amused me. The authors (Cornell and Moffat) knew each other back then, too, if I'm understanding the notes correctly.

I need to watch this ep again, just for the sheer awesomeness of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                      It's another one of those make of it what you will things.
                      Want another of them? Cathy went to 1920. Say she was married five years later, her youngest child was possibly born as late as 1935, and we know she was named Sally.

DI Shipton married a Sally....

Madeleine

Comment

Brilliant episode. Probably my favourite from this season.

As somebody said earlier, the Doctor didn't have much screentime, but had a definite presence. And those scenes that he did have were fantastic. "Timey-wimey detector" that cooks eggs...

The Angels were creepy as hell.

9.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by verona
                          and here's another
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episo...k_annual.shtml
                          A link to the short story Blink was based on

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                            I had no idea that Weeping Angel was the work of a single person...
                            Amazing.
                            Honestly? I don't know. The only reason I know that Aga Blonska played one of the Angels, was cos a Behind the Scenes feature in the Radio Times said so.
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                              Want another of them? Cathy went to 1920. Say she was married five years later, her youngest child was possibly born as late as 1935, and we know she was named Sally.

Ooooooooh!

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post

Oooh freaky! I never thought of that!!

Honestly? I don't know. The only reason I know that Aga Blonska played one of the Angels, was cos a Behind the Scenes feature in the Radio Times said so.
                                There was more than one person playing the angels... they showed footage of them filming some of the scenes with more than one of them in Dr Who Confidential.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X