No announcement yet.

Epiphanies (213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it seems that part of my theory is true: Colonial government was harsh. President Adar seemed pretty unpleasant, willing to meet protestors with military force and all (and he's played by Colm Feore, which can NEVER be a good thing). I have a better sense of what Tom Zarek was now; perhaps he was just the most extreme of many activists protesting against a reactionary government. Perhaps the reason there's so much implied unrest in the Fleet is more than just the stress of running for their lives. Perhaps the government was on the verge of collapse even before the Cylons attacked.
    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
    What have these years left to me?
    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Is it just me or do the eps seem increasingly chaotic and sloppy? It feels like - and I'm just guessing here - that the writers are having a hard time sticking to the broadcast time of 40 minutes and thus, the eps get truncated in post, making them feel a little less smooth than they otherwise might. The Pegasus ep, particularly part 1, moved at rocket speed and almost gave me whiplash. This last one, Epiphanies, had me going "Wait, what?" and "Hold on, Where did that come from?" more often than not. I felt like I was moving my way across a stream, hopping from rock to rock. This show is just so THICK. I think they really need to pace themselves or they could easily find themselves splaying, story-wise. That's my two cents, anyway.

It's still the best written show on TV. Hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by lancecrow
        Is it just me or do the eps seem increasingly chaotic and sloppy? It feels like - and I'm just guessing here - that the writers are having a hard time sticking to the broadcast time of 40 minutes and thus, the eps get truncated in post, making them feel a little less smooth than they otherwise might. The Pegasus ep, particularly part 1, moved at rocket speed and almost gave me whiplash. This last one, Epiphanies, had me going "Wait, what?" and "Hold on, Where did that come from?" more often than not. I felt like I was moving my way across a stream, hopping from rock to rock. This show is just so THICK. I think they really need to pace themselves or they could easily find themselves splaying, story-wise. That's my two cents, anyway.

It's still the best written show on TV. Hands down.
        I think this episode was suppose to do that to you. Catch you off guard and make you think of what type of influences are happening on the civilian ships. It was a lot, of info thrown at you at once, but I enjoyed it because it made you stop on your feet and back peddle a bit. Well thats what I think.

Comment

There was some interesting stuff in this episode but I can't say it was one of my favorites.

I knew Roslin was going to "get better" but the whole "Cylon baby abortion / last minute reprieve to "cure" Roslin didn't work that well for me. Still, Roslin's a great character so I'm glad she's going to stick around for awhile.

The whole subversive civilian group story also didn't do much for me but maybe that plot will gel later on. Right now they seem like the stupidest people ever. Gina joining the group even seems MORE unlikely. And great - they have a nuke now. Baltar's ego will be his undoing.

I did enjoy the Roslin flashbacks, helped establish some backstory for her character. The relationship with Adar was certainly out of left field but an interesting development. So she remembered seeing Baltar with Six? What will she do with this knowledge? Heck, they ought to do a mental exam on the guy at the very least - half the ship must have seen him talking to himself and generally acting nutty by this time.

Grace Parks did an excellent job here as Sharon. Poor Helo - I can't see this ending well for him.
          Last edited by keshou; 21 January 2006, 08:46 PM.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Hello everyone,

First time writing in the forum. Very excited about that.

I am such a huge fan of the new series. It rocks!!! I just finishing seeing this episode and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. It is definitely one of the best in my book.

I wanted to comment on some of the things that many have said concerning this new peace movement and also about gina.

Peace Movement: I guess I could see this new faction developing. I feel they are completely nuts. The cyclons killed there families, friends, destroying everything that they hold dear and they want peace with them. But, I look at it like this. You have the last of the human race living on these ships running from the cylons and fighting them day in a day out trying to survive. Waking up every morning wondering if the cylons are going to attack, knowing that the cylons have a greater force and the fact that many might be on the ship( i think it was 8 that sharon had mention to baltar before). It has to drive people nuts after while. Like adama said in his speech to everyone at the end of the miniseries, (no allies, limited fuel, no hope). I guess they decided hey, we are not going to make it out of this alive and that sooner or later the cylons are going to get us so we should settle for peace and that hopefully this time the cylons will respond, as they did not when president adar told them in the miniseries. They are getting very desparate and i guess tired of living like this. Also, gina is a cylon and cylons are good a minipulating people. It is definitely possible that she really got in to those people heads and made them believe is is possible to have peace with them.

Gina: I also listened to RM podcast on this episode on the fact the Gina disguise is like clark kent. Hey, if superman can do it why not her. Also, one has to remember that not everything is black and white with an episode. I agree with what someone else mentioned that there is a possibility that some of the members of the movement know that she is a cyclon and are keeping her safe from all others and of course the public. She is like a silent partner in the movement. I won't be surprised if the later episodes show us how she got started in the movement and why those humans joined her.

Baltar: Love his scenes. Him and six are the perfect couple. Concerning the warhead that was given to gina. I guess he was really pissed of at roslin for the comments she made in the letter. Baltar is no fool. He is a genius. Getting that warhead through security and not getting it detected can only be done by him.

Roslin: Glad she lived. She is one of the main characters on the show. Killing her is like killing starbuck or apollo. After seeing her and adama together in that last scene in resurrection ship part 2 where he was promoted to admiral, there is no way i wanted her to leave the show. The show needs president Roslin.

Last but not least, I love this friction going on between starbuck and kat. Could it be the beginning of things to come between them????

Sorry for writing so much, but i am so exciting about joining and writing about the best show on t.v. ( I hope i made sense in some of the things i said)

Take care everyone and hope to write to you some more in the next weeks to come. (I promise not as much)

Bye!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dec55

Love the little commercial of BSG and Sharon's baby though.....kinda
              spoiled the audience who wondered what was the fate of Boomer and her
              baby.... Grace rocked in this eppy!!!!!!
              i totally agree! i loved that. i thought it was a scifi comerical about some other show and then i saw the spine glow red my draw dropped. it was sooooo cool.
              sigpic
              Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Originally posted by viper7
                Hello everyone,

First time writing in the forum. Very excited about that.

I am such a huge fan of the new series. It rocks!!! I just finishing seeing this episode and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. It is definitely one of the best in my book.

Take care everyone and hope to write to you some more in the next weeks to come. (I promise not as much)

Bye!!!!!!!!!!
                just like to welcome you to the forum!
                sigpic
                Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Originally posted by cyke
                  wait i think i found it, it's when she says that the teachers strike is not worth dying for .. she looks and the guy she's talking to looks also .. there are 4 people talking, 3 females 1 male. 1 of the females does look like roslin from the back, the guy was wearing a uniform but i cant make a face and the 2 other women, i really can't tell, also in the upper left corner, you see baltar and #6 walking .. or is it baltar n #6?
                  Hi, I'm new here. Just wanted to comment on this weeks episode:
                  RE: the people with suitcases.
                  There is a man in military uniform that walks behind Roslin in that scene. The others I’m not sure – I see those suitcases and they are very similar to the one that was taken off the Galactica in 2.13

Then there is the scene where she says 'Not this one' - and then looks over the shoulder of the Union guy to the group standing on the grass. One kinda does look like Roslin, another vaguely like Six. And that Miliary guy is there as well - and they all appear to have suitcases.
                  Pretty much everyone is carrying a suitcase/briefcase of the same colour. Weird.

There also appear to be quite a few more bods in miltary uniform at this point walking behind her (up on the steps)
                  This could all just be down to havign a military base near by or perhaps it is in the grounds of the governmental area - hence the reason everyone is carrying a case with them - or is it somethign more sinister?!
                  I do find it odd though that the Union guy is the only person (apart form Roslin in this scene) carrying a different case.

I hadn;t picked this up until you mentioned it. Wondering if it is coincidence or if it was deliberate.

Also there is some similarity between the Roslin and the Boomer shot as they get wheeled to the Infirmary. Both are shot from above the character on what appears to be the same gurney. Is this to imply that they have something in common – as indicated by later scenes where Roslin gets better?
                  Nice photography though.

RE: Peace movement: This whole peace movement thing is pretty cool. I had my theory about D'anna, the reporter. At the end of 208 (final cut) she is sat there with the Cylon agents but I'm still wondering if she actually is a cylon. I mean are we meant to think she is a cylon, or is she jus working for them - part of this peace movement thing? I'm also wondering if they are not holed up somewhere within the fleet itself (which would explain how she was sat there talking to them - surely the military would be monitoring any ship movement within the fleet and if D'anna had flown off somewhere it would have been noticed?!)

I must admit I am really intrigued as to where they are going with this and really looking forward to the next episode!
                  I love htis show, all the subtle things that happen and the depth of the characters - I htink this has to be one of the best (if not the best) show on at the moment!

'All of this has happened before
                  And all of this will happen again
                  So say we all.'

Comment

Originally posted by cyke
                    i also forgot to mention... yes gina with her hair pulled back and actually wearing clothes does look different from #6 but hello one could still recognize her.

i mean, after 6 months give or take out in space this BLOND women comes in out of nowhere and is now some sort of leader of a movement that now wants peace with the cylons? that aspect felt like hole in the plot
                    i REALLY hate to admit this but when i first saw her it actually took me a few seconds to figure out it was gina. i mean everything was a dead giveaway but the glasses really threw me for a loop around the park.

Comment

Welcome to all the new members!

Originally posted by Janine
                      There's no way to be 100% sure, as the people are all in the background and you never get a face on, good look at them, but I'm pretty sure amongst the case carriers I've seen Starbuck, Boomer, some guy from Pegasus that I cannot remember the name of right now, a number 6 copy, and a Roslin copy. The Roslin one is the weirdest. Watch the flashback scenes again. It honestly looks like Roslin is standing there watching a copy of herself with a suitcase talking to Pegasus guy and two others with cases.
                      That's very interesting! By Roslin Copy, do you mean the woman in the background talking to a couple guys, with her back to the camera? Actually, it was the blonde woman next to them, head down, and rammaging through her briefcase, that caught my attention. I kept going over that scene, trying to identify her; but so far I came up with nothing. I don't think that's a Six Copy, though, because her figure looked a little different from TH's. D'Ana maybe?

Originally posted by somedude
                      I don't think we ever see who Six meets- did RM say anything about this in his podcast?
                      I don't remember if it was RDM who said it, but I was looking out for the same thing as you were. In the mini, Six told Baltar she had to meet someone and left his house. Since all we saw last night was Six meeting Baltar (as you pointed out), should we then assume we were witnessing her meeting with a Baltar Copy? Or maybe we missed something? What about the group of people they walked by? Maybe Six passed one of them something a la Sydney Bristow. (Ok, I just don't want Baltar to be a Cylon. )

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                      Cool, I wonder if it's up anywhere.
                      Hope you can eventually find the ad, because it is ... interesting to say the least. It started out like some pro-life thingie, morphing into the 2001 StarChild, then morphing into BSG Cylon. As for Sharon's child, I have the same question as you do -- do we even know if RDM will let be born?

Overall, I agree with posts that say this is not BSG's most impressive outing. Some of the chronology didn't work very well for me, and the suspension of disbelief was stretched a bittoo thin at certain parts. I think this show is usually much better about stuff like that.

That being said, I love how the episode fleshed out some characters and set up the turning points for them. Consider, for example, Baltar. "I am not who you think I am, and I will not be responsible for the destruction of mankind." I was all proud of him, for all of 5 seconds. Then he turned from a selfish coward into a petty hypocrite. "After all I"ve done for the fleet, after all I've done for her ..." So he felt betrayed? After he had betrayed everyone around him, how delicious was the irony? Nerev mind what Roslin said about him was all true, it's how-dare-you-well-I'll-show-you. What a loathsome human being! And how much more human can this character get? Great stuff.

By the same token, my respect for Roslin grew. She had hoped to appeal to the better side of Baltar's humanity but refused to coddle to the baser. "... your intelligence is unleavened by compassion" might not be the flattery that Baltar was expecting, but it was her responsibility, as his predecessor, to remind him of that. I think the same sense of responsibility drove her to order Sharon's abortion. She genuinely believed the baby would post a threat to the fleet, and she didn't want to leave the mess in Adama's hands.

Here is a woman who is basically a "dove" but will become a "eagle" when fighting for what she believes is right. That is what the flashback scenes told us, and that she learned the political backroom-dealing from the best -- or the worst, depending on perspective -- through prodessional and personal betrayal. It will interesting to see how she governs now that she appears to be getting a new lease on life. (Incidentally, Adama was right about Adar. Heee!)

As for the Peace Activists, I totally agree with keshou's succinct assessment:
                      Originally posted by keshou
                      Right now they seem like the stupidest people ever.
                      Maybe that's just BSG's version of "Stockholm Syndrome"
                      In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

i just want to point out that every race has alot of stupid people. i cant believe anyone is suprised some people joined this peace movement.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by thecilantro; 22 January 2006, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Okay, here's how I found the background people. The first shot is around 2 mins, 20 seconds in. Roslin has a flashback to Caprica, then back to present, then back to Caprica again. In the second Caprica scene, she's walking by the water with that teacher guy. Watch carefully when the teacher guy goes out of the shot: is that Boomer on the right? Military uniform, dark hair, suitcase, definitely female. Roslin then sees Baltar and #6 meeting. There's a military guy with a case in front of them in the shot who looks familiar. The camera then goes back to Roslin, then to #6 and Baltar again. As they walk away, a woman with blonde hair, sunglasses, military uniform and a case comes into shot in the right - Starbuck? The other scene is about 16 minutes in, and I have a few screenshots, though you may find clearer shots yourself watching it on freeze frame.
                          Screen shots : http://freespace.virgin.net/myk.harwood/Battlestar/

What does everyone think? Coinicidences to get nuts like us watching on freeze frame convincing ourselves there's more to it, or subtle clues we'll later see in more flashbacks revealing what we think we're seeing now to be massive bombshells?

Janine

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume
                            Welcome to all the new members!

(Incidentally, Adama was right about Adar. Heee!)

Adama did say Adar was an idiot didn't he.
                            Teal'c "I killed you"
                            Daniel "Why?"
                            Teal'c "You were a Go'uld spy"
                            Daniel "a good reason"

Comment

Okay, here's how I found the background people. The first shot is around 2 mins, 20 seconds in. Roslin has a flashback to Caprica, then back to present, then back to Caprica again. In the second Caprica scene, she's walking by the water with that teacher guy. Watch carefully when the teacher guy goes out of the shot: is that Boomer on the right? Military uniform, dark hair, suitcase, definitely female. Roslin then sees Baltar and #6 meeting. There's a military guy with a case in front of them in the shot who looks familiar. The camera then goes back to Roslin, then to #6 and Baltar again. As they walk away, a woman with blonde hair, sunglasses, military uniform and a case comes into shot in the right - Starbuck? The other scene is about 16 minutes in, and I have a few screenshots, though you may find clearer shots yourself watching it on freeze frame.

What does everyone think? Coinicidences to get nuts like us watching on freeze frame convincing ourselves there's more to it, or subtle clues we'll later see in more flashbacks revealing what we think we're seeing now to be massive bombshells?

Janine
                              nice screencaps. Hard to say- since that's the original scene in the mini-series where Baltar meets #6, we don't get to see who 6 meets afterwards. Looks like everyone and their uncle has a briefcase.

Comment

Yeah, thats pretty much what I thought. I am sure I recognise the Miltary guy from somewhere.

'All of this has happened before
                                And all of this will happen again
                                So say we all.'

Comment

Working...
                                X