No announcement yet.

Pegasus (210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaaaaand the award for the most crass reply in the thread goes to...
    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
    - Serenity

Comment

I heard that Micheal Ironside was about to be cast for Admiral Cain, but thats old news.
      Speaking of which she looks so striking, peircing eyes and intimidating.

Comment

*snickers* Poptart.

And why not Toaster Streudel? Or Eggo? Or... um... okay, I don't know.

"You should give up now, I eat Poptarts like you for breakfast."
        Also very awesome.
        Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedOne
          I heard that Micheal Ironside was about to be cast for Admiral Cain, but thats old news.
          Speaking of which she looks so striking, peircing eyes and intimidating.
          never heard that rumor

I knew they originally offered the role to Jane Seymour, but she rejected

and some bsg fans wanted Dirk Benedict to play Cain

Comment

I'm not sure that it has been brought up here. I know that there is speculation that the mystery ship is the Galleon. And, other speculation is that the cylon human models are replicas of the original Lords of Kobol, who the cylons may have found.

While watching all the episodes from season 1, I caught something mentioned in one of the Kobol episodes. Apparently, there was one Lord, or god, that was trying to elevate itself above the others, and that is what led to the exodus. If that is the case, and the cylons believe in the one true God, did the cylons encounter the one who had tried to elevate himself.

If so, maybe the human cylon models were made in the images of the other Lords of Kobol in spite. After all, making an entire "race" in their images that worship him would be the greatest insult.

Just some fun speculation that I had while re-watching season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by MASON
              If there's no genetic difference between the two races, and they can conceive with humans, what would prevent the Cylons from breeding with each other? This just seems like a forced plot device at this point, because the science has clearly not been observed. I'll be fascinated (or hugely let down) by the eventual explanation for this ridiculous anomaly.
              Well first of all, there is a genetic difference between the two races, just nothing that conventional xrays can detect. Otherwise Baltar's cylon detection device would not work. Besides there aren't too many humans who can throw people around with one arm and can transfer their consciousness to another human when they die.

Second of all, at this piont we only know that cylons can "conceive" with humans, but not necessarily breed with them since Sharon is only pregnant and has not successfully given birth yet. It's possible that the cylons have already gotten to this point in the reproductive process - conception but not successful births. Six mentioned something about "love" being the missing element. It is possible that the creator of the cylons programmed the cylons in such a way that would allow them to reproduce only if certain parameters are met?

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123
                Well first of all, there is a genetic difference between the two races, just nothing that conventional xrays can detect. Otherwise Baltar's cylon detection device would not work. Besides there aren't too many humans who can throw people around with one arm and can transfer their consciousness to another human when they die.
                Actually, we don't know if a genetic difference exists. Remember that all members of a species have genetic differences. You and I may be 99% identical but the polymorphisms between us are important. But for species definition we consider members of our species to be genetically similar but by no means identical. Species definition does not rely solely on genetic homology but more on the ability of two members of the species to interbreed.
                However, when we bring technology into the mix I think the traditional definitions are incomplete to say the least!
                Don't fall into the trap that was built in the last five decades (the Watson-Crick era) that DNA identity is the end-all be-all of biology. It is an important element but we are learning that much more is involved.
                Let me give an example. If you had a video tape entitled "How to build a VCR" but you had no VCR, you'd be sunk. Likewise if you take your complete DNA and use it to replace the DNA in a pig fertilized egg -- You will NOT grow a clone of yourself. (it would be like trying to play a VHS tape on a betamax! )
                The native zygote proteins, DNA binding elements, cellular microstructures, epigenetic organization, etc. all have profound effects on the developing embryo.
                Therefore, it is my position that genetics of the Hu-lons may be within the normal genetic variance of humans. It it non-genetic differences that may be important and may or may not be testable.
                Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Originally posted by madk99
                  Actually, we don't know if a genetic difference exists. Remember that all members of a species have genetic differences. You and I may be 99% identical but the polymorphisms between us are important. But for species definition we consider members of our species to be genetically similar but by no means identical. Species definition does not rely solely on genetic homology but more on the ability of two members of the species to interbreed.
                  However, when we bring technology into the mix I think the traditional definitions are incomplete to say the least!
                  Don't fall into the trap that was built in the last five decades (the Watson-Crick era) that DNA identity is the end-all be-all of biology. It is an important element but we are learning that much more is involved.
                  Let me give an example. If you had a video tape entitled "How to build a VCR" but you had no VCR, you'd be sunk. Likewise if you take your complete DNA and use it to replace the DNA in a pig fertilized egg -- You will NOT grow a clone of yourself. (it would be like trying to play a VHS tape on a betamax! )
                  The native zygote proteins, DNA binding elements, cellular microstructures, epigenetic organization, etc. all have profound effects on the developing embryo.
                  Therefore, it is my position that genetics of the Hu-lons may be within the normal genetic variance of humans. It it non-genetic differences that may be important and may or may not be testable.
                  Thanks, I didn't want to run through the argument again, and you're apparently the most knowledgeable in the biosciences on this board.
                  Last edited by MASON; 21 December 2005, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Is it just me, or did Admiral Cain seem a bit, um, not human? I mean she seemed a little robotic, like she was working for the Cylons or something. Anyways, I hate the woman even if she isn't a cylon, she deserves to be executed herself. I hope she either gets blown up by the Cylons or killed by Adama.
                    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Right, first of all we have no idea what the Pegasas's crew has been through. Cain sounds like she has inflicted more damage on the Cylon fleet than Adama as well. The rape was horrific of six but if you want me to feel sympathy i really don't. I still remember her killing a BABY in the pilot and the what i can only describe as mass rape in The Farm by the Cylons as a whole. Remember the Cylons have committed almost total genocide so anything they get in return really is deserved. If I was Cain i would not endorse rape but i would be tempted to turn a blind eye. We are dealing with a ruthless enemy who have used sex to manipulate us. The female model Cylons were obviously created to be visually appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Benj
                        Right, first of all we have no idea what the Pegasas's crew has been through. Cain sounds like she has inflicted more damage on the Cylon fleet than Adama as well. The rape was horrific of six but if you want me to feel sympathy i really don't. I still remember her killing a BABY in the pilot and the what i can only describe as mass rape in The Farm by the Cylons as a whole. Remember the Cylons have committed almost total genocide so anything they get in return really is deserved. If I was Cain i would not endorse rape but i would be tempted to turn a blind eye. We are dealing with a ruthless enemy who have used sex to manipulate us. The female model Cylons were obviously created to be visually appealing.
                        My stuff is from the new ep so yeah.
                        Spoiler:
                        Watching the new one. Cain stripped the fraqing civilian fleet, and took the best, and if they refused she shot the families. They are pigs
                        Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Any idea if the 90min version of Pegasus will be included on the Season 2 DVDs?
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                            Any idea if the 90min version of Pegasus will be included on the Season 2 DVDs?
                            I don't know if you already found the answer to this, but the 90min version of Pegasus is going to be on the BSG season 2.5 DVD set. They may still release a full season 2 set (2.0 + 2.5) but there has been no confirmation of this on Universal's behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by MASON
                              I don't know if you already found the answer to this, but the 90min version of Pegasus is going to be on the BSG season 2.5 DVD set. They may still release a full season 2 set (2.0 + 2.5) but there has been no confirmation of this on Universal's behalf.
                              Thanks for the tip Mason. I'll wait and see if it turns up on the Region Two DVDs.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I think this ep would have been better if we could have seen a little more of Aridell or whatever her name was- the woman in charge. Just showing her hubby getting sucked out of the ship wasn't really enough for me (and after seeing it the first time, it got a little tedious). I know they're just one-off characters, but it might be nice to ground them a bit and make them more real.

Comment

Working...
                                X