No announcement yet.

Daybreak, Part 1 (419)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually liked this episode, but then again, I knew going in that it was just going to be a lead up to next week's two hour event. So knowing the suspense factor was going to be present at the end really just let me enjoy the episode, especially the Caprica parts, which I thought were interesting. The hanger scene was probably my favorite though, especially with Lee being the first to cross the line, and the Roslin and Starbuck moment took me back to Season One's "Hand of God." A very good, emotional scene.

Comment

And what's with the delays on the podcasts?

Comment

What I can't understand is why the admiral thinks that he can't risk losing a doctor but he can stand to lose THE ENTIRE EXECUTIVE BRANCH of the government. Roslyn, Lee, does he want to have Baltar take over?

What about military command. Who would take command of the basestar if Galactica goes boom? Did Tigh volunteer? I doubt the Rebel Cylons are going to listen to a lieutenant.

This plans just lacks follow through. If Baltar doesn't become Sultan after this he doesn't deserve his harem.

Comment

Stayed up real late to watch this one.

Let me first say that I enjoyed this episode immensely. It reminded me, again, why I love this show. Its all about people, their lives, their struggles - and now all this is coming to an end one way or another.

Showing flashbacks like that was a nice touch. It was great to see Roslin in good physical shape in them, although I think we all know what's coming soon for her.

I see a disturbing amount of complaints about "slowness" or a lack of action. Too bad some people can't enjoy it, I'm loving every second of it. Ha!

I'm happy. I'll always remember this show fondly. Can't wait for next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenix View Post
            In the end I believe BSG will have failed because the writers lost their way. The actors are amazing but they can not make up for unfocused story telling.
            I agree somewhat with a couple other posters who said that they didn't mind or even enjoyed this episode for the character stuff. However, I also think that they definitely could have done more with what they had and it does seem like the final act of Battlestar Galactica, which is by far the most important act, will be a letdown.

Comment

Did anyone understand what Lee's deal was with the bird??
              I understood Baltar and Lauras' flashbacks,but Lee's made no sense outside of the one he had with Zack and Kara.

Comment

I can honestly say I've been extremely disappointed with these last nine episodes. I thought they were going to go all out with the final ten...instead they just keep teasing us with little tidbits but never following up on them. I keep on thinking about Babylon 5 vs. Battlestar Galactica when I think about how the show would end. With B5 there was never really a feeling like "this is so convuluted" from day 1 through to the final day, everything fell into place, even considering that season 5 felt a little stretched but that wasn't JMS's fault. By the time you saw the final scenes of B5, you knew it was over. You could look back on the past five years and say "it was worth it, it all made sense." Not so with BSG. Granted, JMS wrote one and a half seasons all by himself, but with something like B5, and I would put BSG in that same category, when it comes to the writing you have to be that structured or it will fall apart like it is now (anyone remember the X-Files).

With BSG, the failure to plan anything ahead of time is finally rearing its ugly head and proves that, with a heavily serialized show you need to plan ahead at least for the whole season rather than write "on the seat of your pants." Remember seasons 3-4 of B5? Almost no episode was wasted across two seasons of that show. When B5 hit the meat of its story, which is season's 3-4, after the buildup with 1-2, you rarely ever got done with an episode and thought "how does this forward the story?"

In an episodic series like Star Trek, I can accept that if there's five episode left, a few of them might be stinkers, because its episodic and not meant to form one cohesive story. Even Stargate I can accept that the next to last episode might not be a crowd pleaser, but in a TV show like BSG its IMHO unacceptable.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I look back on the past nine episodes and I feel really underwhelmed. Maybe the finale will prove me wrong and will answer all those burning questions that we still have. I'm praying that it'll end the way Frascape ended, with an awesome finale/miniseries that did the best it could to conclude a series that was canceled prematurely. I've been watching since season 1, so I might as well stick around for the finale, if anything out of curiosity to see how it all ends.

That's not to say that I didn't like these episodes, just that when I look at what's come before as far as what we've had in sci-fi series, they could have been so much better. R

One a side note, am I the only one who noticed the absurd amount of commercials on sci-fi? Its like every five minutes there was a commercial break...they're becoming as bad as discovery channel...and am I the only one whose annoyed that sci-fi comes in so soft over my speakers? I really have to turn them up to be able to hear what's going on, then there's a commercial break and a commercial from my cable company comes on and I feel like I'm going deaf beacuse its so loud...
                That is just my two cents.

Comment

The only part that I really enjoyed in this episode was the last bit in the hanger.

I think that scene set the tone for the final episode very well. It's sort of touching to see so many people siding with Adama.

Did anyone else notice Gaius in that scene? It seemed to me as if he was struggling to decided whether or not to go. I think he's actually changed.

I also noticed that pretty much all of the marines decided to side with Adama.
                  These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Woopie, another episode where nothing happens.

This finale better be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                      Chris777- keep your fingers crossed, I think it is building up to something.
                      Spoiler:
                      Boomer had that look in her eyes! I predict
                      That she did, and it made me think she was going to do another alegance switch.

Aside from the emptied out Galactica, Baltar's struggle with his selfishness, and the speech from Adama and the people volunteering, it was an entire waste of the second last episode.
                      True, the whole flash back to caprica could have been ignored/wrote out... it brought nothing imo to the table

I was half expecting Baltar to step across the line, doing his one selfish act.
                      Part of me hoped he would have, but part of me knew he would not.

Nice that Caprica 6 took care of the old man, even if she was responcible for his death in the end. (Baltar didn't kill his old man, 6 did).
                      True, but i would like to know how she did it since she is not family. therefore she had no legal capacity to move him.

Comment

This episode was just proof positive that the writers have no *(#)@ing clue. I agree that the flashback parts were completely 100% unnecessary as far as I could see. It is like the writers got to this point and have no idea on how to make an epic ending to what was SUPPOSED to be an epic journey. But of course beginning with season 3 the so called epic journey turned into something more like a cheap reality show.

BSG is the one and only show I have ever watched, liked at some point, and desired to end. My feelings at this point are anticipation for a major let down to the ending.

p.s. Hollywood, please do not allow RM to do any more shows!

Comment

good story but too much time wasted,, too much filler... pretty wacky filler on the dream lives of the characters in the year 2009 on Earth... The last two hours better not be filler... it has of splaining to do... but, I can't wait.. I have been awaiting a long time for a coherent episode. The last 2 hours next week must be it!
                          My Story:
                          http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

So, Doctor Cottle's first name is ... Sherman?

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              was that Joseph adama that bill was talking to in the flash back???
                              It was actor Kevin McNulty, but I don't think he was portraying Joseph Adama. I thought he was more like our version of the Secretary of the Navy (or similar), getting William Adama to host the Secretary of Education (Laura Roslin) for an hour on the Battlestar Galactica for a political public appearance/promotion (remember the mini-series?).

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                                I actually enjoyed tonight's episode. Yeah, it was a lot of setup for what is left next week. But I didn't mind it one bit. It was nice to see what had gone on in their personal lives leading up to the attack. And the preparation for the rescue attempt on Hera.

I can't believe that next week is it. It will definitely be bittersweet.
                                I enjoyed tonight's episode too.

Just a reminder everyone, next Friday is ALL Battlestar ALL DAY:

MARCH 20 '09

08:00A SINE QUA NON
                                09:00A HUB
                                10:00A REVELATIONS
                                11:00A SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION
                                12:00P A DISQUIET FOLLOWS MY SOUL
                                1:00P THE OATH
                                2:00P BLOOD ON THE SCALES
                                3:00P NO EXIT
                                4:00P DEADLOCK
                                5:00P SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME
                                6:00P ISLANDED IN A STREAM OF STARS

7:00P BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE LAST FRAKKIN' SPECIAL
                                8:00P DAYBREAK - PART 1

09:00 PM DAYBREAK - PART 2 - NOTE 9PM START TIME!

11:00P DAYBREAK - PART 1

12:00 AM DAYBREAK - PART 2

2:00A BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE LAST FRAKKIN' SPECIAL
                                Last edited by morjana; 14 March 2009, 12:43 AM.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X