Someone To Watch Over Me (417)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tanty View Post
    Did anyone else catch the beginning of the original BSG theme music? May be my imagination but when he was messing around trying to think of the second act of his composition it sounded just like that piece of music...

If anyone recalls.. it's when the voice over appears in the original music of the series.

Haha... seems someone else noticed as well

Here it is, go to this link and then to Track 2: Exploration.

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/bat...lacticaost.htm

This is what the head piano man was playing as kara said your ripping off another artist. Paying homage to Bsg, this theme was one of the major themes of music in TOS.

TheChosen1

Comment

Originally posted by STC View Post
      wouldn't that mean Baltar is a Cylon too?
      Possibly. But you must remember. Baltar hasn't shared any dreams, visions or whatever with anyone else. Unlike Roslin, Caprica and Athena.

I do agree with Ellen. Someone or something is manipulating everything. And it is driving me wacky trying to figure out who or what it is....
      Last edited by bfldworker; 01 March 2009, 11:01 AM.
      Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
      End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by chris777 View Post
        Tigh is the ultimate hard ass I just wish they would have let him keep his boss captain Ahab getup from new caprica, with the cap and beard, talk about gruff.

I hope when I get that age my beard looks that cool.
        Yeah he is a hard ass. But as he said in the first season episode 33.

"If the crew doesn't hate the XO, then he's not doing his job."

Which I find to be true about most XOs. When I was in the Coast Guard, I was on the USCGC Vigorous to help with a electronics upgrade. The XO at the time who I came to call Commander hardass (Behind closed doors mind you). Made Saul Tigh look like a Angel. This SOB was up everyones ass while the upgrades were going on, and honestly it was his job to make sure everything was being done properly. But one thing that has always annoyed me is 20 questions about every damned thing that was being done. One of the people also helping with the upgrades turned around and said "Sir, if you want to know what is going on then get your nosey ass down here and help us out, if you back off and go do what officers do best, take up space".

Needless to say there were snickers and he got a reprimand. But he did make Saul Tigh look like a angel.
        Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
        End of line.

Comment

It is very sad to see Galactica falling apart like that. The ship has accomplished so much, taken nukes, fallen through an atmosphere, etc.. Remember the battle sequences in the miniseries, or even 33.

In the RDM podcast last week, he mentioned that lots of the mutineers have been cleared out and are probably sitting on the prison ship. He mentioned Skulls and Racetrack specifically.

So sad, they get to Earth, it's a wasteland, and pretty much everything falls apart.

I felt bad for Tyrol too.

Man this is depressing... but it's well done depressing. I thought the pace was a bit slow for three weeks of relatively slow stuff, but it definitely got exciting toward the last 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by chris777 View Post
            I am gonna say it because everyone else doesnt seem to have the stones to.
            Ronald moore must be a pansy, or a flake. he is definitely unstable. I brought it up before that they kept harping the cylon "plan" and did nothing with it, then they conveniently axed it from the opening. Then he tells us that they have decided to close it out after only 4 seasons, because they felt like it was time and they wanted to end it on their own terns. Please give me a break that is a crock. This whole entire show has been written completely and totaly on the fly, so while it does leave us open to surprise shockers, like boomer sluggin athena, and frakin helo , it is merely shock value and not some grand scheme that he and David Eick had planned from the beginning.
            my question is why? Is he just bored with it, and wants to move on the the soap that will be caprica? They can act like they had this planned and it was winding down , but like most stuff its a ruse and they are being forced to cram story into the final episodes to "reveal" key plot points as Si fi has so heavily advertised. But things are feeling really forced. with several characters If not all of them. Its like watching someone who is unstable crack under the pressure, it can be entertainment to some, but ultimately its sad, and pathetic, but lets move on since in 3.5 episodes any discussion will be moot, but I do feel there is more going on than we have been told, maybe its the Glen Larsen project and the head honchos wanting to end this version before the movie, but this is too forced to be " planned", unless of course Ron Moore has one helluva case of ADD, and just has become bored with the project. I mean look at the simpsons. it could go on forever if enough effort is made for it to.
            As far as the Cylon plan, hasn't it been pretty apparent that their plan fell apart? Perhaps that is a result of them winging it, but it still seems legitimate to me. And as for the show going on as long as The Simpsons? If you think BSG should go on for as long as The Simpsons, you don't get the show at all. The Simpsons can go on for as long as it has because it is a comedy show. BSG isn't. I am pretty sure that part of the reason that BSG is only going to be four seasons is because Sci-Fi isn't willing to support it past that. There has been a lot of talk that RDM didn't actually map the series out and that may true, but mapping out the series in generalities isn't the same as mapping it out in specifics, so it is quite possible that RDM mapped it out in general and updated his own plan as he went and that he also didn't expect to only have four seasons. I really shouldn't talk about this, though, because I'm really not that informed. I thought I heard at one point that RDM had an idea of where he wanted to go and then I have heard that he didn't.
            Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
            I am also going to postulate something as well.

This episode proved that only Cylons can "project" with each other.

In many of episodes Roslin, Athena and Caprica 6 have the same dream about the opera house. Could that mean that Roslin is also a Cylon? Perhaps from Earth 2000 years ago? The same question stands for Baltar as well, especially with head 6 running around. Then again with Baltar it could just be a good ability to day dream.
            People have speculated that Roslin got visions because of the blood transfusions between her and Hera -- in Baltar's case, it could be because of some kind of fusion of some sort that occurred when Caprica shielded him from the shockwave of the nuke in the miniseries.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
              OK, final thought before I dash out the door...

Take the episode as a big picture type thing. If we hadn't had the admittedly long bit with Kara and The Musician forming their relationship and having her open up about one significant song, her playing All Along the Watchtower would've lose some of it's punch. It was buildup, but it was needed. Ditto on the Boomer projection scenes. I know I wasn't the only one who initially bought it.

Development takes time. Stop watching the calendar and start watching the stories.
              Here, Here. Sometimes, a slow heat makes a for a more flavorful roast...

[I know, I know. I'll stop channeling Oma Desala.]

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                My argument exactly in mapping out the general story and plot developments for the series prior to starting. I was all excited about '...the plan...' and we oh just sort of forgot about it.
                Just wasted potential but I guess If I ever start writing its just that much more material I have to tread new ground on, because they decided to follow the beaten path.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post

This is what the head piano man was playing as kara said your ripping off another artist. Paying homage to Bsg, this theme was one of the major themes of music in TOS.

TheChosen1
                  I am going to ruin it for everyone and say it reminded me of the theme from gremlins until they broke into their version of watchtower.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post

TheChosen1
                    Yes, I thought that sounded familiar...

Comment

Originally posted by wontgetfooledagain View Post
                      People have speculated that Roslin got visions because of the blood transfusions between her and Hera -- in Baltar's case, it could be because of some kind of fusion of some sort that occurred when Caprica shielded him from the shockwave of the nuke in the miniseries.
                      Ill touch on the other part later, but I noticed something. when Hera left Roslyn collapsed, kind of like when Tighs will to be with caprica left Liam died.

There is possibly some sort of connection, but its speculation.

Oh another FYI the crate hera was stuffed in like a puppet had the letters
                      JKA on the side from the starbuck montage. Any ideas on that one?

Comment

I agree with everything Chris777 has said. RDM never had an overall plan, and he has admitted to having to go through everyone's backstory to figure out who the final five would be. Besides, don't you think it's hokey that the final five just happen to be in the last surviving fleet? And that Anders just happens to be alive back on Caprica so Star Buck could go and pick him up?

This show is like watching someone tell a lie and then trying to talk their way out of it, and it's working! I think that some of it has been luck.

And I'm going to say it because no one else thinks it:

Kara Thrace is not a Cylon, or even a Hybrid

What do I base this on? I just don't want her to be one, that's all. But I just have this feeling that she's not a cylon or a hybrid. There is no resurrection ship for her to have appeared on. And how do you explain that her viper had pictures of the solar system on it?

I'm going with this theory:
                        In the mini-series Six shielded Baltar from the nuke and planted some type of chip in his head or fused with him somehow, they actually explained it in the series a long time ago. This fusion is so advanced that Colonial technology can't detect it. Daniel escaped Cavil's wrath and ran away to Caprica and met Kara's Mom when Kara was very young (or perhaps just before Kara was born which makes some other sod Kara's real father). Daniel taught Kara the piano piece and then left after a while because one day he was walking around Caprica and saw a Six before it saw him and he thought that the cylons were on to him, so he split -- except he didn't split because there is no where for him to run -- so he popped himself into Kara's head just like Six did to Baltar. Six can go long periods of time without appearing to Baltar. Daniel chose to go for most of Kara's life and has only recently decided to re-appear in her head because she had lost her focus and purpose in life. He appeared in her head to give her a purpose. It's no accident that Kara plays Jimi Hendrix while Ellen and Tigh are in the bar.

In the episode Maelstrom Leoben appeared in Kara's head. I now propose (as some already have) that this was in fact Daniel. Daniel knows how to use the Swirl -- that's what Ellen called it a few episodes ago and I assume that the swirl and the gas giant in Maelstrom is the same thing (just as others have assumed). Daniel knows how to use the swirl and guided Kara safely through it. Now all I have to do is explain the dead Kara & viper on Earth.

Good night.

Comment

Ok I have one more question. I didn't look to see if this was asked (So I am sorry ahead of time).

WTF is up with Sams brainwave patters? Seriously. What is going on in his head, literally...
                          End of line.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                            Originally posted by wontgetfooledagain View Post
                            As far as the Cylon plan, hasn't it been pretty apparent that their plan fell apart? Perhaps that is a result of them winging it, but it still seems legitimate to me.
                            Idont buy it, unless you mean the writers original plan then yes. They held that opening till like season 4 then woopse lets change it, since we are never gonna adress it until the pre/seqel movie "the plan" since we are not going to be able to adress it in the series.
                            And as for the show going on as long as The Simpsons? If you think BSG should go on for as long as The Simpsons, you don't get the show at all.
                            I was just saying that if one wishes to put the effort into it something can be sustained for quite some time. Instead we are left with a mish mash, Jump cut if you will of a show with , outlandish character motivations and left field character choices. Take athena at new caprica , gaining Adamas trust from a prison Cell. The newest webisodes with the reveal of Gaitas secret 8, which just come off as more plot devices than anything. Like Daniel as the 13th cylon, Which might actually play out If say He is starbucks father, and on the final/first 5's ship with ressurection tech thats unaccounted for. He taught the song to Kara as a kid, then the rests and Hera hear it. I would have to dig up some of the Hybrid Prophecies though might make more sense. Plus the album title
                            The Simpsons can go on for as long as it has because it is a comedy show. BSG isn't.
                            I like you am not that informed on it, I listend to a couple of Rons podcast, and he pretty much confirms my suspicion its almost all on the fly with a vague direction at best, like Kate vernon as the final cylon not being decided till the end, and the Goof with 8 and the final 5, screwing the numbering. I am not against this sort of thing, Its like a painting , or drawing taking on a life of its own, but The hype has been decidedly different.
                            I am pretty sure that part of the reason that BSG is only going to be four seasons is because Sci-Fi isn't willing to support it past that. There has been a lot of talk that RDM didn't actually map the series out and that may true, but mapping out the series in generalities isn't the same as mapping it out in specifics, so it is quite possible that RDM mapped it out in general and updated his own plan as he went and that he also didn't expect to only have four seasons. I really shouldn't talk about this, though, because I'm really not that informed. I thought I heard at one point that RDM had an idea of where he wanted to go and then I have heard that he didn't.
                            Oh definitely thats a huge possibility, But He just come off as sort of snooty in many of his interviews like he had this plan all along like the Cylon plan, and he has orchestrated it. Plus he has gone back on many of the conventions he himself claims to hate about the Genre.
                            I am just saying as Good as the show is, its Hugely based on the actors. And the writers have had some rather lackluster episodes, quite often.
                            I mean Come on, Callie having Hot Dogs baby? Ellen , and Starbuck fracking every male on the show. It could almost be suggested that they Got something against women(which come to think of it, I have run into that exact situation myself, but I digress.)
                            It just flip flops too much to be believable. The actors salvage it, for the most part(sorry Tahmoh but you are just slightly better at acting than Michael Phelps)
                            Where as James Callis, Michael Hogan, Edward Olmos, Tricia Helfer, Aaron Douglas, and
                            Katie sakoff, make the show on performances alone. Plotlines, and ridiculous character motivations be damned.

I am saying there is a huge , huge mine of stories and plotlines that they just threw out with the bathwater. Remember when they kept doing the Cylon hybrid baby teasers between the early seasons, that they just left hanging until the last 3 episodes of the series? And now they are Going to Give us Caprica? WT Frack?

Though this recent rumbling about the Glen larsen Big screen movie might be the reason, and liek I suggested, Ron moore might have a ridiculous case of ADD, or just Loves soap operas, with wild and insand couplings, and constant turmoil, I am saying as a viewer, on the outside of "the know" it looks like they wrote the whole series on a whim.

Comment

So here's my ten cents on the episode and some of the comments I've read here.

First of all, a brilliant episode. One highlight for me was the music, I thought the piano playing (and nod to TOS) was well written.

Chief and Boomer - you have to feel sorry for chief. It seems that all he really wants is someone to love him/to love and he seems to keep on falling flat. Boomer betrayed his love. Twice. Cally betrayed his love as well by having an affair and not telling him about it. I wonder what'll happen to him when they find out that he was responsible for freeing Boomer? I can see them all just saying "you know what, frak this, you were manipulated. We all are being manipulated."

Starbuck - still not quite sure about this one. I'm pretty sure that the piano player was her father, since she was having a daddy complex with him. Not sure if she's a Cylon or not...

Roslin - I'm on the fence on this one as well. If Galactica is the dying leader, then why still have Roslin die? Maybe they somehow managae to cure her (again) or something else happens...

Galactica falling apart - when it became clear that the ship was possibly the prophesized "dying leader" or something similar, I said to myself "okay, they have to make this convincing and emotional in order for it to pay off well." And they have so far. Watching Boomer jump away and the sequence of the damage being done to the ship...I felt like my heart was being torn out. At first I was like "its just a ship. Watching it be destroyed wouldn't have the same affect as if it were Moya or Serenity..." but I think after this episode I realized that Galactica really WAS as much of a part of the show as the characters.

Regarding the whole scope of the story - having seen every episode so far I can say that I would sort of preferred it if they had sat down and mapped this whole thing out from the beginning. I sometimes compare BSG to Babylon 5, another great sci-fi epic. The difference between the two is that Ronald Moore didn't have a real "plan" for BSG, but Joe did. When you watch the two shows side by side, it shows. B5 just has this awesome flow to it (until you get to season five, but that's not Joe's fault) that feels like everything sort of fit together from the beginning to the end. BSG, however, does not quite have that flow, at least not yet. Not to say that the storytelling has been brilliant, and some of the best sf TV I've watched in years, but at the same time it also feels like "yeah, they so totally just pulled that out of their ass."

One thing I've been hoping for since season 2 is with the "all of this has happened before and all of this has happened again" is that by the end of the series they would connect BSG to the original series somehow, especially with all the nods to TOS that they've been putting into the show. Maybe they still will...Galactica falls apart by the final episode, but they discover Galactica from TOS from the original series, abandoned, and its a real "wtf is all this?" moment.

Was also disappointed with the fact that the Cylon Plan fell apart and we never really got a sense that anything was going on there in the end.
                              That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                                Daniel knows how to use the Swirl -- that's what Ellen called it a few episodes ago and I assume that the swirl and the gas giant in Maelstrom is the same thing (just as others have assumed). Daniel knows how to use the swirl and guided Kara safely through it. Now all I have to do is explain the dead Kara & viper on Earth.

Go back to the times they lived on New Caprica and learn what is "swirl"... Daniel cannot use the swirl... he is not female... ha ha

Sorry.. but your idea is funny

Comment

Working...
                                X