Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateTrek View Post
    Spoiler:
    She returns in actual physical form or in a dream?
    most likely in a physical form
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Q&A with RDM about this episode
      http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....soul.html#more

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
        its kinda sad but that flight between Gaeta and Starbuck reminded me of the same flight in Wild wild west. All that was missing was the racial undertones.
        LOL, yeah that is exactly what that reminded me of.

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
        Heh, to the average Stargate fan any piece of film that doesn't feature something blowing up every 5 minutes is dull. The mature among us, however, will be enjoying the characters and dialogue. ('Dialogue' is when people are talking. It is entertaining when you get older, or at least grow out of getting highs off of sweeping military victories facilitated by arbitrary science fiction mechanics.)
        LOL, Stargate at least has variety. This episode actually wasn't half bad because they threw some comic relief. Like when Adama says "Sometimes I hate this job" was hilarious.

When character dialogue is kinda pointless it makes it even more boring. I enjoy the drama also, but not Soap Opera drama. That is going too far for my taste.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not suprised that so many complain about this episode.Yes, I agree, this episode was very slow and few moments were boring, but this episodealso sets up a major story line for the next episodes. Also many people complained about Ellen being the fifth cylon, about Earth (We wanted shiny Earth with powerful humans with mighty weapons which will help us and not this fried hell hole). Guys, this is not a Stargate, there are no magical superweapons waiting for you, there are no plasma beams of death, this show is about characters. Like it or not, this is a dark show and a space soap-opera in some aspects. And don't expect happy-endings, from what I've heard, it's going to be even darker and sadder
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

I thought the episode was pretty good (if you're an A/R shipper, the ending was damn good!!!), but it felt flat after last week's episode. I, like some others here, wondered if it was an issue with it being the first episode back after the writer's strike. You'd think it would be easier for the cast to carry on through, especially after the emotional build-up they would have had in the first 10 episodes, so maybe the break left them flat.

I've watched it a couple of times now, and I don't think the writing is the issue - there's some good dialogue here and I don't have any problems with the storyline (I'm a wait-and-see-what-happens kind of viewer).

About half way through the second viewing, it hit me that the whole thing felt really 2-D, then I realized that there was nothing that gripped you about the camera shots. It was the direction that seemed lacking. When I looked at who was directing and realized it was RDM himself making his debut, that explained it. You could have had the same material directed by Michael Rymer or Michael Nankin, and it would have felt completely different. The skill of the director is not just in picking the right shots, but also in pulling the best performance out of the actors, and I really don't think either was here in this epi.

All this being said, everyone has to learn their craft through experience, and if anyone has earned that right in this series, it would be RDM.

Spoiler:
            "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
            ---Bill Adama

Comment

Originally posted by L-S View Post
              Right - she wouldn't have. And that was a remarkable and troubling scenario - the woman Cylon Tory, with inhuman strength, battering the mother, and dispensing her, into space. Wouldn't have happened, if the child hadn't been a mixed breed.

It's disappointing that the writers don't have the courage to throw over a few of their show bible promises to go with the show as it grew organically. I hate the force-fits at the end. Rather see the growth that occurred as a result of cast and crew and time and life going by, than squeezing everything into a pre-determined shape at the end...
              or, in the midst of her emotional break down, cally freaked out being surrounded by cylons (and wasn't she on mood altering drugs as well?) and was gonna kill her dhild to 'protect' him, then chickened out and couldn't kill her son.

as a matter of fact, i seem to recall her being ready to come in and not kill herself...then tori tossed h er down the launch tube and killed her. she was murdered by tori.

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson View Post

And.....how come Gaeta all of a sudden in the spotlight? Where has he been? How about that whole cylon bashing he did with Kara in the Mess Hall? What all of a sudden Gaeta's a cylon bigot?
              Like someone says below, he's been nothing but betrayed by cylons. and his PTSD over losing his leg, complicated by the emotional nadir of finding that hte 'promised land' is a barren dead zone....he cracked up. and the cylons are his 'it's all your fault' blame recipients

Originally posted by anotherquestion View Post
              Gaeta, more than most, has good reason to hate the old and the new "breed" of cylons. After all the Sharon model he was intimate with on Carprica had behaved badly in the interim Webisodes; Anders, one of the Final Five, had caused him to lose his leg, he was almost airlocked himself by Saul Tigh--nowhere has he experienced a Cylon he could trust, much less respect.
              yep
              Adama definitely is coming down with something. He shouldn't be picking up other people's trash as he's been doing. Gloves, next time, Admiral.
              that's part of the 'light hand' of this episode. remember last week's? right before the tigh/adama smackdown? Adama was walking right past people brawling in the corridors and didn't seem to give a damn. now he cares so much he's picking up scraps of paper. He's caring again. He's on his way back up from his emotional low

he has something to live for again, which is roslyn and his duty to get his people to a safe haven. and i think he'll do just about anything to accomplish that goal...possibly even making a 'deal with the devil' to insure his peoples' safety

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
              Lastly, I don't know about anyone else, but I found myself chuckling a quite a few times in this episode, Adama's "Some days I really hate this job" line for one. I'd say the first episode was way more depressing than this one, I mean, nobody shot themselves in the head this time.
              i chuckled too. there were some great lines in it, nothing OTT, just 'gallows humor' as people struggle to deal with things
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I really liked this episode. After last week’s events, the characters are making some effort to move on, sometimes in ways that are not particularly productive. The first part of the Earth is frakked arc is done and now it is time to set up the characters and situations for the next chapter. I love these character-based episodes, at least when they are as well done as this one. I have always like Gaeta and it is sad to see him going down this very dark path. I expected that Zarek (sp?) would be one of the big bads of this season and was not surprised about his criminal activities.

As soon as I saw that last Adama/Roslin scene, I knew that the shippers would be ecstatic and many of the, shall I say less mature (as in grown-up),viewers would be going UGH! I thought the scene was lovely and very well done and probably the last moment of true happiness that Adama and Roslin will have. She is clearly going to die; he is just hungover, I suspect. I had wondered if we would ever see the two of them together with Roslin sans wig. Adama obviously doesn’t care a bit about that, nor should he.

Next week’s episode looks action packed, so hopefully it will satisfy more people.

Comment

Heh, to the average Stargate fan any piece of film that doesn't feature something blowing up every 5 minutes is dull. The mature among us, however, will be enjoying the characters and dialogue. ('Dialogue' is when people are talking. It is entertaining when you get older, or at least grow out of getting highs off of sweeping military victories facilitated by arbitrary science fiction mechanics.)
                  It's obvious you didn't read a thing I wrote. And I don't really care for your condescending tone.

My biggest problem with it is that it's too depressing. Moore just keeps putting his character in a constantly declining series of events. And eventually, after four seasons, that just gets dull. Change things up for a bit, add something positive to the fleet. Realistically, no one is that unlucky to be thrown disasters after disasters.
                  These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    Best. Line. Ever. "I need a drink." I love Tigh. And Tigh and Caprica holding hands? A bit surreal..... Glad to see the awesome medic back.

And GAETA leading the uprising on Galactica!? Oh no! I adore Gaeta! Poor guy can't come out of this well.
                    Heh, that was a good line, but I think Adama's "Some days I really hate this job," line was even better. And oh, my, chalk up Gaeta to be another character I like driven down a dark path, most likely to death.

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                    The interesting thing about the episode was that I understood both sides. It is the dilemma from a very early point on.
                    Yeah, which I thought was the strength of the episode. In reality, you would have people polarized on this issue, and likely get a power struggle as a result, which is just what we're seeing.

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                    The story around the chief and his son. That was unexpected but I am sure it has the purpose of severing the last bond the chief has to humanity. He has no ties left with the humans. Tigh is exepecting a baby with Caprica Six, Tory already switched sides while she was still on Galactica. No clue about Anders.
                    Yeah, I felt bad for the Chief when he was struggling with the "we" and "ours" in the beginning. But now he doesn't have a lot left to tie him to humanity, with the revelation of what his wife did (and wow, that paints a whole new picture of Cally and her actions), and the fact that he's not a father by blood. Tigh and Six are creepy as all get out, but I'm thinking the revelation that Ellen is also a Cylon helped Tigh accept his own place among them. Looks like next week we'll be seeing Anders...his tie to humanity seemed to be Starbuck, so I don't think that's going to go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                      It's obvious you didn't read a thing I wrote. And I don't really care for your condescending tone.

My biggest problem with it is that it's too depressing.
                      oh lord, they're at war, billions of humans were wiped out, Cavil's forces are still chasing them, Earth was a nuclear wasteland. What the heck do you mean it's too depresing? Of course it's depressing. They're not living in a fantasy world!
                      Moore just keeps putting his character in a constantly declining series of events. And eventually, after four seasons, that just gets dull. Change things up for a bit, add something positive to the fleet. Realistically, no one is that unlucky to be thrown disasters after disasters.
                      why the hell should they do that? If you want popcorn fun with jokes, watch Stargate. This show has been very depressing from the very beginning.
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

That's kinda insulting and honestly a little immature (ironically)

The problems people have with this episode have nothing to do with a comparison to Stargate or the dialogue. There's a lot more to writing than just dialogue.

The biggest problem with this episode was the pacing. It felt almost like 2 half-hour episodes. If they'd made Zarek and Geata's rebellion the main focal point and condensed everything else and let it all unfold in the background of the actual conflict the episode would've felt more engaging.

The way it was done, the rebellion was buried under everything else which made the first half of the episode (and probably more like first 40 minutes) feel like you were watching home videos from the fleet.

The only conflict in any of that stuff was Tyrol/Hot Dog and there's nothing epic about that. You can sit here all day and say BSG isn't Stargate but at the end of the day BSG needs a larger conflict to have any epic impact.
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                          That's kinda insulting and honestly a little immature (ironically)

The problems people have with this episode have nothing to do with a comparison to Stargate or the dialogue. There's a lot more to writing than just dialogue.

The biggest problem with this episode was the pacing. It felt almost like 2 half-hour episodes. If they'd made Zarek and Geata's rebellion the main focal point and condensed everything else and let it all unfold in the background of the actual conflict the episode would've felt more engaging.

The way it was done, the rebellion was buried under everything else which made the first half of the episode (and probably more like first 40 minutes) feel like you were watching home videos from the fleet.

The only conflict in any of that stuff was Tyrol/Hot Dog and there's nothing epic about that. You can sit here all day and say BSG isn't Stargate but at the end of the day BSG needs a larger conflict to have any epic impact.
                          LOL, when BSG has plot holes and poor writing people get all defensive. Hmmm sounds all too familar with a little show called Stargate Atlantis. Eps like this prove that BSG can be duller than a brick wall at times. Yes, maybe it's setting up for something big, but the writing was sloppy with this episode. The whole Gaeta and Starbuck fight was immature at best, and the Cally plot had more holes than swiss cheese.
                          sigpic

Comment

Starbuck is just insufferable. Rosyln's despair is understandable, but what keeps Starbuck going ?
                            Starbuck: What am I? What the hell am I? I'm the frackin' Energizer bunny!

(And here comes my new sig....)
                            The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              ...Like it or not, this is a dark show and a space soap-opera in some aspects. And don't expect happy-endings, from what I've heard, it's going to be even darker and sadder
                              This is was is truly scary for me. Edward James Olmos said so himself that the series finale will be a punch in the gut and really dark. Makes me wonder how you can beat Earth being a radioactive wasteland : shudders : I love it when the series talks more and has less action. One of the high points of the series was for example the trial of Balthar and especially the speech that Lee gave then.
                              He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                              He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                              And he's wonderful.

Comment

I LOVED the line "Sometimes, I really hate this job." It was an important moment of comic relief.

This episode was slow and I didn't like that so much, but I can tell that they're just moving pieces into place for more stuff coming up, and so I'm willing to put up with that. It still had some interesting bits about how the characters are adapting to life without a search for Earth. It is comforting to see Adama starting to pull it back together... he has the right to fall apart, but I like that he's doing what he can.

Adama and Rosslyn together. I guess it's about time to resolve that tension. I'm wondering if the apparent mutiny next week will pull Rosslyn out of her condition and realize that to save Adama/the fleet/whatvever, she may have to be presidential again and pull rank on Zarek.

I didn't understand Tyrol's "we/us/them" confusion, but after reading here it makes more sense to me. I also remember how he was saying to Adama just after Cally died that "we didn't end up with the people we wanted to..." I took that to suggest that he still carried a torch for Boomer. Now that he knows he's a Cylon, he may be thinking "what was so bad about being with Boomer - these humans haven't been so great to me." Now that he's free from Cally and Nikki, maybe he feels that he can go be with Boomer again.

Which is an interesting bit too. The Cavil guys are all men, "except Cavil's pet Boomer." All the women went with the humans, 6s 8s, the last 3. As well as the Leobens. I was wondering "wouldn't this be a RDM style if all the humans and rebel cylons die in space, and the other Cylons end up evolving into the next generation of humans..." fine, except that there are no females, and cylon-cylon pairings (at least of the 7) don't result in children. So even though I'm just going off on a wild limb here, that would definitely be a sad ending.

I do hope that RDM does give 'em a break at some point. It is true that when people die of diseases, they sort of feel that everything goes from bad to worse like this.

Gaeta is an interesting character. Was I the only one last week that looked at Gaeta (just before Dee offed herself) thinking "is he going to rape her?" I thought it was a bit sinister. So he's just losing it. And there's this thing he did on New Caprica that he's trying to cover up.

Baltar definitely has an interesting role to play. I could imagine Rosslyn and Baltar both playing roles in the uprising... Rosslyn pulling rank on Zarek, and Baltar discrediting Gaeta.

It's definitely going to get interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X