Sometimes A Great Notion (411)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobBot View Post
    But if she is a cylon, there could be hundreds of copies of her! There'd be Starbucks on every corner, thereby proving that the planet really is Earth

Hahaha I think I got the joke
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

So they find Earth.

but, but, but.

Is there some kind of rule in science fiction that when a show represents our world that we are not allowed to see a truly realistic vision of our own planet? ie: shape of continents, buildings, culture, etc. etc. No shop signs or evidence of a world that could really be connected to the Earth we know?

Comment

I think it wasn't the Earth we all live on
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          I think it wasn't the Earth we all live on

What there's another one

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            So they find Earth.

but, but, but.

Is there some kind of rule in science fiction that when a show represents our world that we are not allowed to see a truly realistic vision of our own planet? ie: shape of continents, buildings, culture, etc. etc. No shop signs or evidence of a world that could really be connected to the Earth we know?
            Nope. You'll find that science fiction encompasses a wide range of concepts and time periods. Case in point, Heroes and (the short-lived) Surface both depict the real world in the present day. Granted Heroes also provides future flashes. You also have everything that ranges from a utopian society (Star Trek) to a distopia as in Battlefield Earth (example only! - it was a horrible move).
            The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

I have a love-hate relationship with this show. When it's good, there's not much out there that can compare with it but when it falls short of expectations, it's because it wallows in its bleakness for the sake of wallowing.
              In spite of that, I look forward to closure and many resolutions in these final episodes.

As for the episode itself...
              A few unexpected turns... especially the big reveal at the end. Not sure what to make of it at this stage.
              Dee... poor Dee. On one level somewhat surprising, however on further consideration one can see a kind of symbolic projection going on. I don't think the writers really knew what to do with her beyond her initial Girl Friday role. Still I liked her better in this episode than I have for a long time.

I do like the storytelling in this episode and the radical shifts caused by the recent revelations I think marks a high degree of confidence not seen for some time. I've always believed that the part the cylons play in the overall story is what makes this show better than most scifi and I'm more convinced then ever. While I'm not always convinced that the writers know what they're doing with their characterization of primary and secondary characters -- often going off in self-indulgent tangents. Nonetheless, when the cylons are featured, they seem to be on far surer ground.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Okay, I got so caught up from reading these postings about this episode that I had to sign up and throw my two cents in here.

I haven't read all of the postings so I don’t know who’s said what, I'm just going to go with a stream of consciousness approach here...

I don’t think Dee had a flashback, she like many in the fleet were so distraught over “Earth” being destroyed on top of it being a Cylon home she couldn’t deal with it. There was a line of dialogue that said fighting and suicides were fleet-wide. I thought they could all be Cylons too, but I don’t think that theory will bear out over time. Starbuck is not a Cylon. She’s not the only person in the fleet to have visions, Laura Rosalin for example. Even though Starbuck’s weren’t as vivid or as blatant. Speaking of visions, what happened to Baltar’s chatty Number 6? Is his conscience finally clear? Because that’s all she was, a manifestation of his guilt.

We all saw Starbuck’s Viper blow up, but if you watch the scene it looks like the fuselage is blown away from the main explosion. This part (which was the only big part she found) could have been pulled through time (as much as I am loathed to say it) somehow and entered the atmosphere and misread as an attack. Thus making her the “harbinger of death” alluded to earlier. Leobon was so freaked out by finding her remains, because he knows she isn’t a Cylon so how could there be two of her. The other thing that could have lead to the destruction of “Earth” is the 12 Lords of Kobol attacked the 13th Lord’s new home world. I do agree that the lost tribe were Cylons and that’s why the 13th Lord’s name is not spoken. The final 5 were the only survivors and must have resurrected after the destruction of “Earth,” but in younger bodies with suppressed memories (since Adama has known Tigh for 30-40 years).

This is going to sound corny, but I still think the Ship of Lights from the original series will show up, hopefully with some if not all the answers. I also think it is responsible for Starbuck's miraculous return and will lead them to the true Earth. For those diehards of the original you’ll remember that they had the power to bring back the dead.

Comment

i didn't see dee's suicide coming at all and then finding out ellen was the fifth

plus sam wrote all along the watch tower hmmmmmmm makes you wonder

10/10
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Medallion View Post

This is going to sound corny, but I still think the Ship of Lights from the original series will show up, hopefully with some if not all the answers. I also think it is responsible for Starbuck's miraculous return and will lead them to the true Earth. For those diehards of the original you’ll remember that they had the power to bring back the dead.

Can you explain "ship of lights" While I remember the original show I never watched every single episode....

Also in the original series the Galactica receives a TV signal from Earth of the Apollo Moon Landing leaving the Moon and heading back to Earth. The silly humans are totally cloueless about this and ignore it treating it as a trick.

Now howcome they aren't picking up old TV and radio signals from Earth? Surely even if Earth is dead all the signals are still traveling through space?

Comment

Bil cocks a gun "sit down cylon" drops it on a table

frakking awesome

Comment

i'm going to rename this ep

Bill adama and the Terrible, Horrible,
                        No Good, Very Bad Day

Comment

Ellen?! Really? They chose Ellen to be the fifth? They may as well have cast frakking Kat! Kat, Ellen and Tori. My three least favorite characters. Of which I was so happy when Ellen and Kat died. Now i'm stuck with her being back in the darn show.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma626 View Post
                            Ellen?! Really? They chose Ellen to be the fifth? They may as well have cast frakking Kat! Kat, Ellen and Tori. My three least favorite characters. Of which I was so happy when Ellen and Kat died. Now i'm stuck with her being back in the darn show.
                            IMO ellen being the fifth works out quite well and makes sense story wise

Comment

My wife and I watched this episode tonight. She couldn't believe everything that went on, especially with Earth being a planet full of Cylons, and Ellen being the final Cylon model. What really surprised her though, was Dee. She did not see that coming at all.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                                My wife and I watched this episode tonight. She couldn't believe everything that went on, especially with Earth being a planet full of Cylons, and Ellen being the final Cylon model. What really surprised her though, was Dee. She did not see that coming at all.
                                I literally PHREAKED out with Ellen being the LAST Cylon!! i was like WTF!!

i don;t htink anyone saw Dee's suicide coming. I know I didn't. I mean it was Dee....
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X